PDA

View Full Version : I've Decided that I Hate *Japan

Solstis
Mar 7, 2007, 04:49 AM
No, not the actual nation or the people that live there/can trace their origins to said country, but the imaginary, shits and giggles Japan of pre-teens/obsessed adolescents. Yeah, I like anime. Yeah, I like some Japanese games and foodstuffs (snacks, Japanese cooking in general seems to lack flavor/is cold). But, no, I'm not going to pretend that Japan is the perfect place to live.

Anyway.

Seriously.

Get over Japan.

Uncle_bob
Mar 7, 2007, 06:25 AM
Damn straight. God have mercy on your soul, however. I can hear the thousands of Japanophiles rushing this way with their fake katanas and naruto headbands. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Sayara
Mar 7, 2007, 07:32 AM
Your right, Lebanon is where its at anyway!

Midicronica
Mar 7, 2007, 07:37 AM
I was once a complete Japanophile, but then after talking to a person who'd lived in the country for 10+ years, my vision of the place changed a bit. I'd still like to visit the country in the future, but I'm sure as hell ain't crazy about like I used to be.

KodiaX987
Mar 7, 2007, 07:39 AM
On 2007-03-07 04:32, Tingle wrote:
Your right, Lebanon is where its at anyway!

Dammit, you just gave me a crave for kebbe nayeh. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Daikarin
Mar 7, 2007, 09:15 AM
It's a phase, I guess.

DizzyDi
Mar 7, 2007, 11:13 AM
I used to be a japanophile too. I used to want to learn japanese, japanese martial arts, had a REALLY bad case of yellow fever, and even tell people I was half-japanese. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif
Anyways, yeah, then I remembered I was black and go all afro-centric and whatnot.
Now I'm pretty much anti-japanophile.
Just like moses, I'd like to visit the place but I'm not crazy over it.
Its annoying when kids are all "America sucks, I wish I lived in Japan." likes it 10x greater.

KodiaX987
Mar 7, 2007, 12:29 PM
Dizzy, the phrase itself is not wrong. You just need to replace "Japan" with [insert country here]. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 7, 2007, 01:28 PM
I think we're all agreed then--

Japan: A good vacation destination, but not a better place to live.

It's certainly on my list of places to visit, right up there with Austrailia, New York, Ireland, Germany, Cabo San Lucas and London. I'm content to live in Merced, though. It's home.

Solstis
Mar 7, 2007, 03:21 PM
On 2007-03-07 09:29, KodiaX987 wrote:
Dizzy, the phrase itself is not wrong. You just need to replace "Japan" with [insert country here]. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

The exception being Canda, amirite? No? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

Thalui89
Mar 7, 2007, 03:50 PM
London= fail

Seriously, its horrid.

VanHalen
Mar 7, 2007, 04:47 PM
I like the Japanese culture but there's no place I rather live than America. And I wouldn't want to be anything else but an American.

Midicronica
Mar 7, 2007, 04:53 PM
Yeah, if you want to become a Japanese citizen, you have to live in the country 10+ years, go through a very lengthy process of checks and you must renounce your native nationality. I love being American and I can't see myself doing that.

I have family members that live in Merced, CA! I've just never met them. >>; My mother says it smells of cow maneur out there.

Retehi
Mar 7, 2007, 08:55 PM
Even if you become a citizen of Japan, you're not much more than a talking dog to them.

DizzyDi
Mar 7, 2007, 08:58 PM
On 2007-03-07 13:53, Shadow_Moses wrote:
Yeah, if you want to become a Japanese citizen, you have to live in the country 10+ years, go through a very lengthy process of checks and you must renounce your native nationality.

HAHA! Oh Wow.
Japan is silly.

Midicronica
Mar 8, 2007, 12:15 AM
I know myself and I'd like to live there maybe for a few years. I've been thinking about my future after college and would like to try out one of those english teaching programs. (i.e. Jet/Aeon.) Doing this would allow me stay in Japan up to 3 years allowing me to fully immerse in the language and culture.

Even if you were to become a "official Japanese citizen" it would only be on paper, because the general population won't recognize you as a Japanese citizen. You'd still be that outsider or gaijin.

*I know I talk as if I know everything, I've just read about and talked with many who've experienced living and currently still in Japan. After awhile, that information kind of sticks with you. (If you find it important enough to remember.)

T0m
Mar 8, 2007, 07:02 AM
On 2007-03-07 17:55, Retehi wrote:
Even if you become a citizen of Japan, you're not much more than a talking dog to them.

In most countries, a talking dog would be special, but in Japan they probably have talking robo-cats (http://www.cnn.com/TECH/ptech/9903/25/robocat.idg/index.html), which of course are much more convenient!

Mwabwetumba
Mar 8, 2007, 08:41 AM
As a medieval weapons collector/enthusiast, (aspiring) weapon scholar and metallurgist I find the Japanese culture to be very interesting, though I find in no way it to be a better place to live in.
If I want some more insight into the country, I can just take two months off and go there, right?

Although I'm not much for anime, I know a few people who are.. but I've never encountered any so called "japanophiles" here in Sweden.. actually at the high school I attend, I guess I would be the biggest "japanophile" http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Edit: But I am a great fan of Japanese music!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mwabwetumba on 2007-03-08 05:42 ]</font>

Sayara
Mar 8, 2007, 08:50 AM
Hey, they made some pretty spiffy pots back in the day!

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 8, 2007, 02:23 PM
On 2007-03-07 13:53, Shadow_Moses wrote:
I have family members that live in Merced, CA! I've just never met them. >>; My mother says it smells of cow maneur out there.

There are a number of dairies in the surrounding areas, though I've never observed such an odor in the city itself.

Personally, I grew up out in the boonies, 11 miles South of Merced on Highway 59, out in El Nido, and have worked on a dairy, myself. Sometimes you fancy city-folk complain about smells that I haven't even noticed until it's mentioned. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Merced really is a nice place to live. Granted, the job market sucks, but the traffic is trivial compared to say, Fresno, and the City goes out of its way to provide people with places to just wander around on foot. The Downtown district is the pwn.

Solstis
Mar 8, 2007, 02:31 PM
On 2007-03-08 05:41, Mwabwetumba wrote:
As a medieval weapons collector/enthusiast, (aspiring) weapon scholar and metallurgist I find the Japanese culture to be very interesting, though I find in no way it to be a better place to live in.
If I want some more insight into the country, I can just take two months off and go there, right?

Although I'm not much for anime, I know a few people who are.. but I've never encountered any so called "japanophiles" here in Sweden.. actually at the high school I attend, I guess I would be the biggest "japanophile" http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Edit: But I am a great fan of Japanese music!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mwabwetumba on 2007-03-08 05:42 ]</font>

It's understandable to want to experience Japan, grudgingly, I wouldn't mind a short vacation there, but some people (suspiciously absent from this thread): 1. Claim to have an essence/inner self
2. Claim that the Japanese essence is better
3. Desire to obtain the Japanese essence

I'm all for Robo-cats as long as they don't poop (robo-poop) or shed (asbestos?).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2007-03-08 11:32 ]</font>

DraginHikari
Mar 8, 2007, 02:37 PM
Japan is kind of a different enivroment from the US, you think you've seen workalcholics here it's even worse in Jpn there pretty hectic with their work.

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 8, 2007, 03:58 PM
Their weekends are just Sunday, for that matter. They have a six-day work week, and only that because of the missionaries that insisted they observe the Sabbath.

DizzyDi
Mar 8, 2007, 04:18 PM
Don't they do tai-chi before work?
It was either that or China that did it. Probably both.
America could use a nap/meditation time during the day.

VIRIDIA_HUNTER
Mar 8, 2007, 07:53 PM
On 2007-03-08 13:18, DizzyDi wrote:
Don't they do tai-chi before work? America could use a nap/meditation time during the day.

IDIOT Thats stereotypes. Some Japanese may do tai-chi, but not everyone. Tai chi is from China. But yes, I agree that America needs a lot of time to cool down cause everyone is a buncha hotheads / crackheads here.

As for me yes those Japan freaks in America do get annoying, but I say they beat the loud, hard rock punk American any day.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dr_Montague on 2007-03-08 16:54 ]</font>

youthisoverrated
Mar 8, 2007, 09:25 PM
if i had children i would like to live there. i would have the american public school system is lacking in a lot of places

DizzyDi
Mar 8, 2007, 09:38 PM
On 2007-03-08 16:53, Dr_Montague wrote:

On 2007-03-08 13:18, DizzyDi wrote:
Don't they do tai-chi before work? America could use a nap/meditation time during the day.

IDIOT Thats stereotypes. Some Japanese may do tai-chi, but not everyone. Tai chi is from China. But yes, I agree that America needs a lot of time to cool down cause everyone is a buncha hotheads / crackheads here.

As for me yes those Japan freaks in America do get annoying, but I say they beat the loud, hard rock punk American any day.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dr_Montague on 2007-03-08 16:54 ]</font>

EXCUUUUUUUUUSE ME, Princess.

UnderscoreX
Mar 8, 2007, 09:53 PM
Well since we're all knocking on countries anyways, what about France ? I hear that's a terrible place too.

Azraelscross
Mar 8, 2007, 10:21 PM
i would actually live in Japan despite the racism and other things. I'd rather go there and visit before a decision like that though. but i would equally love to live in Norway or Finland.

Midicronica
Mar 9, 2007, 02:17 AM
On 2007-03-08 18:25, iamgir42 wrote:
if i had children i would like to live there. i would have the american public school system is lacking in a lot of places

You obviously heard about teen suicides due to stress from school in Japan have you?

If anything the Japanese have it easier in their school system. There is no failing in the Japanese school system. Pretty much all they have to worry about passing the exams at the end of the year. Your kids would through of stress, as well. They would be picked up on heavily just for being different. Yes, it happens here, but I'm sure it would be worse there.

youthisoverrated
Mar 9, 2007, 03:35 AM
On 2007-03-08 23:17, Shadow_Moses wrote:

On 2007-03-08 18:25, iamgir42 wrote:

You obviously heard about teen suicides due to stress from school in Japan have you?

If anything the Japanese have it easier in their school system. There is no failing in the Japanese school system. Pretty much all they have to worry about passing the exams at the end of the year. Your kids would through of stress, as well. They would be picked up on heavily just for being different. Yes, it happens here, but I'm sure it would be worse there.

let's see i'm heavily tattooed i have to worry about my kids getting crap aboutt heir mom being a freak. all i want is for my future kids to be well educated

Thalui89
Mar 9, 2007, 06:03 AM
Japan is far from the ideal place to live. Technologically their possibly the most advanced civilisation, however their attitudes are still rather crude when it comes to subjects such as whaling. For anyone who does think that Japan is some kind of paradise on earth they are sorely mistaken- all countries have their flaws, and japan is no exception to the rule. To be blunt, no civilisation that is governed by humanity is perfect- in fact their usually flawed in someway.

For those of you who pretend you descend from japanese lineage then i suggest you seek counciling- Your not japanese and nor will you ever be. Deal with it.

KodiaX987
Mar 9, 2007, 08:08 AM
While we're on the subject on Japan... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DEXvjPu8Fg

Includes fooling around in a train, playing hockey in the center of Hachiko Square, giving Buddha an extreme makeover, and "calling the Nippon". http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

youthisoverrated
Mar 9, 2007, 02:27 PM
On 2007-03-09 03:03, Thalui89 wrote:
Japan is far from the ideal place to live. Technologically their possibly the most advanced civilisation, however their attitudes are still rather crude when it comes to subjects such as whaling. For anyone who does think that Japan is some kind of paradise on earth they are sorely mistaken- all countries have their flaws, and japan is no exception to the rule. To be blunt, no civilisation that is governed by humanity is perfect- in fact their usually flawed in someway.

For those of you who pretend you descend from japanese lineage then i suggest you seek counciling- Your not japanese and nor will you ever be. Deal with it.

you make a very solid point. every country has their strong points and weak ones too. why can't we all just get along http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif but yeah we should all try and get along. maybe things would be better...

KodiaX987
Mar 9, 2007, 03:02 PM
On 2007-03-09 11:27, iamgir42 wrote:
why can't we all just get along http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif but yeah we should all try and get along. maybe things would be better...

I say "lol, internet" to this. You'll understand after you become a seasoned netizen.

Garroway
Mar 9, 2007, 05:47 PM
I admit that I've never been to Japan but I have traveled abroad fairly extensively and I find that every country I visit is fairly close to the same. Sure, the scenery changes, population density changes, and there are some cultural differences that are usualy related to the enviornment. The attitudes and aptitudes of the general populace however seem very static. Saddly, the worlds population is willfuly ignorant (which equates to stupid) execpt for the very small cross section that I associate with. Nationality has never been a matter of contention. The specific plot of dirt that you currently inhabit is completely irrelevant, and only someone that has nothing to weigh his/her own worth would believe otherwise.

As for the matter of education. You have failed as a parent if you put any amount of faith in an educational system above that of your own parental responsibility.

VIRIDIA_HUNTER
Mar 9, 2007, 07:47 PM
This should be on Americas flag, the country of fat asses.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c118/swimmingcow13/b671832b.gif

VIRIDIA_HUNTER
Mar 9, 2007, 07:47 PM
Hers your "typical" American

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/octavio98/mcdonaldsad.jpg

Thalui89
Mar 9, 2007, 07:57 PM
That deserves a lawl XD

DizzyDi
Mar 9, 2007, 08:00 PM
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a299/MixMasterMark/FKL%20STUFF/longasian.jpg
Long asian is LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG

XCOPY
Mar 9, 2007, 08:19 PM
They have a six-day work week, and only that because of the missionaries that insisted they observe the Sabbath.Whoah...that's terrible and completely unacceptable. That right there guarantees that I will never live and work in Japan. I need my Saturdays off too. I think it's bad that we only get 2 days off in the typical work week here. Working 6 out of 7 days all the time? I'd go all Charles Whitman* on everyone in no time. (*guy who "went postal"...got up to a bell tower and began shooting random people)

People who think the japanese are perfect are annoying....specifically...those who think a japanese voice actor is automatically 100000000x better than anything an english voice actor could do.

*eh, another thing to keep me away would be the women, basically. We all know the stereotype is mostly true...asian women are all about trying to hook up with a random white guy. The white guy is the top tier choice for them most of the time....2nd place is an asian male. I'm not from either of those groups. Good thing I don't have yellow fever anyway. The type that goes for black guys tend to be the trashy "car show model" types...and they look terrible.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: XCOPY on 2007-03-09 17:22 ]</font>

Azraelscross
Mar 9, 2007, 08:33 PM
how lazy do you have to be to think 2 days off is not enough.>.> and not all asian girls have it out for White Males. Although if you want more than a fuck. well. your out of luck mostly. cause mostly only the white man chasers will give you a time of day. and all they want usually is just that. some sex and someone to show off to their friends

XCOPY
Mar 9, 2007, 09:36 PM
Yeah, not all...but it's probably safe to say a LOT of them are that way...especially the americanized ones.

..and yep, I'm very lazy. See, working sucks for most people, and I'm no exception. It is very rare that you end up doing something you enjoy for a living. Most likely, you end up with a job that is only *tolerable*, and get by in life on that. If I won some mega lottery, and got say...hundreds of millions of dollars....I most likely would never work again. I'd spend life doing whatever I wanted to do....and that wouldn't involve *working*. The closest thing to working would be art...I would self-publish some things like children's books or comics.

whatever, luckily for me I have this thing called Annual Leave, and I have quite a bit saved up, so I can occasionally take a friday or monday off, and have a much better 3 or 4-day weekend. heh, and I get paid for that. It's one of the few good things about the job.(I am a state employee)

Kent
Mar 9, 2007, 10:55 PM
I'm not obsessed with Japan, by any means.

I mean, sure, I like anime, and manga, and Japanese games, and study the Japanese language (see next paragraph for reasoning), and study the Japanese culture, and enjoy all the various types of Japanese food I've tried, and I've love to go there some time... But not out of any form of Japanophilia one may falsely accuse me of having.

I'm a technophile, dammit. Gadgetry and electronics are some of the things that really fascinate me. Being one of the most technologically-advanced countries in the world, it'd be the perfect place to visit.

Would I like to live there someday? I don't know - I'm not stupid enough to make a decision based on knowing very little about a situation, so it remains an adamant "maybe" until I do my homework on the subject. Divergence from the culture I'm used to, would be nice, though... For a visit, unless I happen to really like it.

Nixia
Mar 9, 2007, 11:09 PM
On 2007-03-09 19:55, Kent wrote:
I'm not obsessed with Japan, by any means.

I mean, sure, I like anime, and manga, and Japanese games, and study the Japanese language (see next paragraph for reasoning), and study the Japanese culture, and enjoy all the various types of Japanese food I've tried, and I've love to go there some time... But not out of any form of Japanophilia one may falsely accuse me of having.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. There are a lot of things I love about Japan, but I know it's nowhere near perfect. The bullying over there is absolutely horrible. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif Not to say that we don't have it here, but because of the laws over there, the teachers hands are completely tied when it comes to punishment. Some of them might even join in on it.

Anyway, I'd like to go there, maybe on JET if I'm able to, or just a 3-week vacation, or something. But I really love the diversity in Canada, and I really can't see myself living without it. Besides, it's home. XD

youthisoverrated
Mar 10, 2007, 04:01 AM
On 2007-03-09 20:09, Nixia wrote:

Anyway, I'd like to go there, maybe on JET if I'm able to, or just a 3-week vacation, or something. But I really love the diversity in Canada, and I really can't see myself living without it. Besides, it's home. XD

ahhhhhh to have real anime and manga. and nice technology type goods. i can't find a decent keyboard, that's on the cheap side, to save my life right. but i guess it's just cus i'm picking about shipping.

Uncle_bob
Mar 10, 2007, 06:09 AM
On 2007-03-09 16:47, Dr_Montague wrote:

Wah-wah. Looks like a lil' Japanophile got offended.

youthisoverrated
Mar 10, 2007, 02:54 PM
On 2007-03-10 03:09, Uncle_bob wrote:

On 2007-03-09 16:47, Dr_Montague wrote:

Wah-wah. Looks like a lil' Japanophile got offended.

it kinda is true though. something like 65% of americans are overweight

DizzyDi
Mar 10, 2007, 03:14 PM
Overweight is a buncha BS.
I know some beautiful girls that doctors have said they are overweight.
Obesity and being overweight are two different things.

VIRIDIA_HUNTER
Mar 10, 2007, 06:59 PM
"People who think the japanese are perfect are annoying....specifically...those who think a japanese voice actor is automatically 100000000x better than anything an english voice actor could do."

Dr_Montague: Though I do agree an english voice is just as good as a japanese voice, AMERICANS CANNOT PRONOUNCE THE WORDS RIGHT IN ANIME!!! (naruto, one pice, rurouni kenshin, bleach, etc.) Thats where I say the japanese voices would be better.

Blitzkommando
Mar 11, 2007, 12:53 AM
My father is classed as being close to clinically obese. How 'big' is he? He's 5' 7" and 145 and in what the majority of his doctors call perfect health. Yet, according to the USAF standards he is 20-25 pounds overweight regardless of build. So, yes, obesity is a complete crock of shit based on the people that I know and see that are classed as "clinically obese" while they are healthier than the people actually at the 'correct weight'. These obesity 'charts' take in no account of muscle mass or body build which are the two main factors in determining proper weight. Health standards are complete bullshit in this day and age where people are required to be in weight ranges they haven't been in since they were still in highschool.

It hits at home because a number of my parent's friends have been classified as overweight and had clinical discharges because they couldn't get into the proper weight range as was determined by the DoD, no matter how insane that number was. One man in particular was in excellent shape, ran, biked, hiked, you name it he loved exercising. Unfortunately, he weighed around 220 which was too heavy for the Air Force to keep him. Just one problem, he was over 6' 8" and had to be under 200 pounds according to the new regulations. He hadn't been that weight since high-school and made himself extremely sick just to get down to 210. Yet, like I say, he was classified as clinically obese and forced to medically discharge because he didn't meet the new regulations, regardless of his height.

Also, Montague, please get off your high horse. I'm an American and I've been commented to by native speakers of multiple languages as to how well I can pronounce non-English words. People who know, or even slightly study the native speakers of a language that listen well and are able to emulate well can speak foreign languages very well. The problem is that many times these kind of talented people don't go into voice acting and instead get picked up for other, higher-paying or more challenging jobs such as translation services or intelligence services amongst hundreds of other potential jobs.

As for Japan being the 'most advanced nation on the face of the Earth LOL!' I'm also going to have to call bullshit. Sure, they have a million and a half types of cell phones and have some excellent manufacturing. However, the vast majority of the tech industries are still run from the US and manufactured in Hong Kong, Malaysia, Taiwan, or China (though some high end parts come from Japan, such as capacitors). Even so, the biggest semiconductor company isn't located in the US or Japan, but South Korea, it's called Samsung. Still, three of the most well-known semiconductor companies are in the US, Intel (In Silicon Valley), AMD (In Silicon Valley), and nVidia (Also in Silicon Valley). Hell, Silicon Valley is still the biggest concentration of tech industries in the world. Also, consider how many computer companies are based in the United States compared to outside (most of the others outside are based in Hong Kong as well, not Japan. You have Dell, Gateway (and eMachines which was the third largest producer for a while until bought out by Gateway), Hewlett-Packard, Packard Bell, IBM, Sun Microsystems, Cray, and things like NCR and LexisNexis offering high tech needs in specialized industries. There are countless hardware companies also based in the United States with everything from RAMBUS and Micron in memory to Linksys and US Robotics in networking to Microsoft and Apple in the software and hardware end. The US, while having lost much manufacturing strength in the last fifty years, has kept and increased the technology industries. Certain countries specialize in parts used to make the machines, but the machines themselves are often times designed in the United States, partly because it's the companies in the US that are the prime starters and developers of new industry standards (Intel specifically with the development of ATX, BTX, PCI-Express, amongst hundreds of other standards for the computing industry). Japan has good technological industry for sure with companies like Sony, Hitachi, and Toshiba. But, for the most part they tend to design bits and pieces of the hardware like the monitors and optical drives, while the boards are designed in Hong Kong generally and the CPUs and GPUs are designed in the United states and the memory in South Korea (or United States actually).

Few countries though can claim to have companies working in all the industries at once though which is something that has allowed for lower hardware prices within the US, even with importing tariffs (also because the US has lower sales taxes compared to other nations). It's because of this immense competition within the US that has allowed technology to prosper and be cheap enough for most people to afford it. While certainly other industries haven't followed this (such as the automotive industry which has turned into a complete downward spiral within the US due to an oversupply and lack of demand) usually with more competition there are cheaper prices.