PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phones

Nixia
Mar 10, 2007, 01:17 AM
Okay, I'm sure just about everyone's been through this.

What I will never, ever understand is why people have their cell phones on during school hours, or rather while they're in class. Just who are you expecting to call you? In fact why're you expecting them in the first place? Do they not know or care that you're in school?!

Since moving, I have yet to go through a week where someone's cell phone hasn't gone off in class. And of course, whenever someone gets their phone taken away, they'll bitch about it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif You don't want them taken away, keep them off. It's not rocket science, and I don't feel like listening to 50 Cent or Paris Hilton while I'm trying to work, kthx.

Yeah, I know it's nothing new, but it's just so damned irritating and disrespectful.

Dre_o
Mar 10, 2007, 01:27 AM
1) Welcome to life, sucks doesn't it?

2) I agree whole heartedly

3) Oh boy if I was a teacher, there would be SO many confiscated phones...and by confiscated I mean PERMANENTLY.

4) Ignore this number.

Kent
Mar 10, 2007, 02:49 AM
I keep my phone on during class. Mainly, because my classes top out at four students or so, save for generals...

That, and my ringtone is awesome (MGS codec call) and my fellow gamers appreciate it.

But everyone who has my number, knows when I have class, and doesn't call unless it's an emergency, in which case, I couldn't really care less what you think of my phone ringing during class, if it's important.

Important event that concerns me > Not irritating you. Sorry.

In other news, my brother's girlfriend has a teacher that will answer your phones for you, if they ring during class. And I don't mean, telling whomever is calling that you're in class at the moment and hanging up, either. She answers your phone, and tries to carry on a conversation with the caller, casually, in front of class, on your phone. Quite a humorous event.

Nixia
Mar 10, 2007, 03:09 AM
On 2007-03-09 23:49, Kent wrote:

I don't have anything against important events or emergencies. Someone I knew had his phone on because his mother was pregnant and was due that day. It's just that usually it's not important, seeing as whenever a phone rings, whomever it belongs to is quick to silence it without checking.

Skuda
Mar 10, 2007, 06:23 AM
I always keep my phone on vibrate during class, Just in case of emergencies. But as a habit, I set it to vibrate before I even leave the house, just so I don't accidentally forget and it goes off.

KodiaX987
Mar 10, 2007, 07:53 AM
Not a single day goes by without someone's cellphone blaring out MIDIed rap music at maximum volume.

If only I was in university. At least in university, the teachers toss those cellphones out the window...

roygbiv
Mar 10, 2007, 11:15 AM

But everyone who has my number, knows when I have class, and doesn't call unless it's an emergency, in which case, I couldn't really care less what you think of my phone ringing during class, if it's important.

That's pretty assholeish.

Kent
Mar 10, 2007, 11:46 AM
On 2007-03-10 08:15, roygbiv wrote:

Wait... So it's "assholeish" to let people know you have class from certain times, and to let them know not to call unless it's an actual emergency?

Looks to me, like it's even more "assholeish" to think that I shouldn't be contacted, should an emergency arise. There's no justification for you being ever so slightly annoyed by a phone going off, when something actually serious may be happening, right?

KodiaX987
Mar 10, 2007, 03:25 PM
Oh, in theory, it's the best idea in existence.

In practice, I can guarantee you every single cellphone call in class starts with "Hey dude WUZUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP!!!" http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

l0c0dantes
Mar 11, 2007, 01:24 AM
On 2007-03-10 08:46, Kent wrote:

Wait... So it's "assholeish" to let people know you have class from certain times, and to let them know not to call unless it's an actual emergency?

Looks to me, like it's even more "assholeish" to think that I shouldn't be contacted, should an emergency arise. There's no justification for you being ever so slightly annoyed by a phone going off, when something actually serious may be happening, right?

Yea, thats pretty assholish. When you are in a class for an 1-1.5 hrs (every 3+ hr class that I have ever been in has had a break in the middle) Are you that important that you knowing about such a catastrophic emergency at the very second it happens will fix it? is the 1-1.5 hr wait really a matter of life and death? if it is, then by all means. But then again, if you are really that important, what the hell are you still doing in school?

DurakkenX
Mar 11, 2007, 01:37 AM
On 2007-03-10 04:53, KodiaX987 wrote:
Not a single day goes by without someone's cellphone blaring out MIDIed rap music at maximum volume.

If only I was in university. At least in university, the teachers toss those cellphones out the window...

obviously you've never been in a university...the two that i've gone to have had people take phone calls in the middle of class...and actually have a convo with them.

Personally i turn off my ringer as like you said it's not important for me to know most times right that second and i don't like turning off my phone. In fact if someone does call me and they know i am in class and it's not important they will be bitched at.

Usually though if it's an important phone call the person will tell the teacher at the beginning of the class. If it's not and they want to talk they'll be courteous and leave the room.

The worst time someone's phones went off was when my philosophy professor was trying to teach and suddenly a phone went off...they took care of it...and then someone elses' went off...this happened like 6 times in a row. ^.^ The prof was so upset that she said that the next person who's phone goes off will be thrown out. It was humorous

Kent
Mar 11, 2007, 01:53 AM
On 2007-03-10 22:24, l0c0dantes wrote:
Are you that important that you knowing about such a catastrophic emergency at the very second it happens will fix it?
Simple question, simple answer: Yes.

But then again, if you are really that important, what the hell are you still doing in school?

Furthering my education.

Nai_Calus
Mar 11, 2007, 03:34 AM
Depends on the emergency. Maybe your parents just got in a car accident and are going to be dead within twenty minutes and you have just enough time to get to the hospital to say goodbye. You can bet your fucking ass in that circumstance that oh yeah, phone call is much, much more important than not being interrupted.

Now, if they just need you to pick up some rice-a-roni after school, then fuck no.

Uncle_bob
Mar 11, 2007, 03:35 AM
*Bleepbloop*
WHERE YOU AT DAWG

KodiaX987
Mar 11, 2007, 08:48 AM
On 2007-03-10 22:37, DurakkenX wrote:

obviously you've never been in a university...the two that i've gone to have had people take phone calls in the middle of class...and actually have a convo with them.

I have been to university, thank you very much. And in the university where I went, teachers held on to ringing cellphones 'till the end of class. Nicer ones would do nothing and you'd get the luxury of the student saying "Can't talk, I'm in class. Bye."

That's the classic, normal scenario. But if you're doing a midterm or final, or if your cellphone repeatedly rings all the time, it's been known to happen that the teacher blew a fuse.

roygbiv
Mar 11, 2007, 09:13 AM

Yeah it is, you naturally assume that your business is more important than anybody else's. It's an immature, self-centered, view. The only excuse I can think of to answer your phone would be if someone is dying, and even then you can have your phone on vibrate, excuse yourself, and answer it outside.

Daikarin
Mar 11, 2007, 02:01 PM
In case that I'm not expecting a phonecall, I have it on in case of an emergency. No, I don't pick it up, but I do read SMS's - Stuff like "Call me, urgently" CAN happen.

What I don't like is when there's a cellphone ringing out loud, with nobody answering it. It's frustrating to keep hearing the annoying monophonic theme of "LORD OF THE RINGZ" while the owner, whoever he/she is, just lets it ring in hopes that the guy will give up. That's intolerable, especially in the middle of a class.

Out_Kast
Mar 11, 2007, 02:58 PM
I don't even have a phone.
How original am I? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Thalui89
Mar 11, 2007, 03:30 PM
I have my phone on silent during classes at my college that way i can check if ive got any texts and not annoy anyone.

DurakkenX
Mar 11, 2007, 04:42 PM
one time someone left their phone in the library at my first college and someone just kept calling and noone picked it up or knew who's phone it was...the funniest part was that the ringtone was the happy days theme and it was pissing everyone off.

Leviathan
Mar 11, 2007, 07:33 PM
When I go to school I have my phone on but its on vibrate. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
&yes at my school people ACTUALLY carry on a conversation during school while the teacher is in the room. The kids just simply pretend they are "looking for a pencil" &they answer the call. =/

On the days that I have my phone on there is ALWAYS someone who keeps leaving voicemail &its a number I don't even knowm however that same number keeps calling me throughout the day &leaves me voicemail. Thats creepy.

Solstis
Mar 11, 2007, 09:53 PM
On 2007-03-11 07:13, roygbiv wrote:

Yeah it is, you naturally assume that your business is more important than anybody else's. It's an immature, self-centered, view. The only excuse I can think of to answer your phone would be if someone is dying, and even then you can have your phone on vibrate, excuse yourself, and answer it outside.

Oh, that Kent. We're not talking about telling your friends about your class schedule, but about keeping the phone on vibrate. If you do keep your phone on vibrate, and do excuse yourself from class, you really need to learn how to communicate on the Internets without frustrating everyone.

I keep my phone on vibrate just in case. I do not attend magical-fairy-world of le amazing University, and cannot expect that the 15-300 (depending on class) people around me will not be annoyed.