PDA

View Full Version : PSU: PM advice?

Allison_W
Mar 13, 2007, 05:11 PM
So lately, I've been wondering what to do with my PM in Network Mode (and I'm online now, yaaay!). I'm a little torn between form and function, the latter both in combat type and synthing.

I hear synthing is way harder online than offline, so I know I want a PM that's good for synthing--currently, think fighter-types, so Striking and perhaps Armour. However, I don't know how important it is to actually max out a given stat in order to synth well. The thing is, I don't really like the look of the 410, though Striking 100 would probably do me good for synthing what with the load of elemental weapons melee types need.

So what I'm wondering is, what would you folks suggest for synthing? I'm assuming I won't have four characters to each make a specialized PM anytime soon, so should I try to balance mine out instead of specializing, like a 420 with mostly Striking and some Armour or somesuch? I'm pretty sure I'm going to be playing a fighter-type and a caster that may dabble in Wartecher and/or Guntecher.

Thanks in advance, y'all.

EDIT: I'm a 'tard; PSUPedia does have pics of the new PMs.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Allison_W on 2007-03-13 15:16 ]</font>

Gamemako
Mar 13, 2007, 05:16 PM
It has them. You just need to look harder.

http://psupedia.info/?title=GH-42x_series
http://psupedia.info/?title=GH-43x_series

omegapirate2k
Mar 13, 2007, 05:18 PM
On 2007-03-13 15:11, Allison_W wrote:
y'all.

I'm sorry, but for using that word and the fact that I know next to nothing about synthing and PM's in general, I won't tell you what you want to know.

DarkDeception
Mar 13, 2007, 05:22 PM
i made one with a striking of only 80 and i seem to have a lot of trouble synthing anything that is higher then B rank. I don't know how much more those 20 levels would do but i'm already working towards making one with an alternate account. you should also look at all the alternate versions that have come out of each type because you may like different ones based on this new change.

Golto
Mar 13, 2007, 05:30 PM
When it comes to snything armor get 100 in armor. The % success is rather low even w/ 100 so a 50-50 or even worse armor stat would not be worth it.

Kaydin
Mar 13, 2007, 05:36 PM
On 2007-03-13 15:18, omegapirate2k wrote:

On 2007-03-13 15:11, Allison_W wrote:
y'all.

I'm sorry, but for using that word and the fact that I know next to nothing about synthing and PM's in general, I won't tell you what you want to know.

At least we don't say "eh?" after everything. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Plus, Allison, you spelled it wrong. It's ya'll. Ignore what spell check says. Listen to the Texan.

Allison_W
Mar 13, 2007, 05:40 PM
Hrm. I'll bear all of these things in mind--thanks.

The 411 is more tolerable-looking than the 410 and still has the with owner behaviour, so I might make a 100 Striking PM and convert her to 411 when I get around to making my caster--she'll need the meatshield more than my fighter will. I could take my fighter's PM the 100 Tech route (to make wands/rods for the caster and for a support caster NPC), but something tells me it'll be more important to be able to synth elemental armours than new caster weapons, and a 100 Armour PM would let me get that adorable 441.

Incidentally, I hear caster weapons are easier to synth than striking weapons. Is this true?

DarkDeception
Mar 13, 2007, 05:54 PM
i'm not sure if they are easier to make or not but i would go with the armour one since there is no elemental attachment to rods they all sell for a decent amount online in the PC shops. Where good armour can be hard to come across since they are overpriced, or at least seem that way to me.

Mattardo
Mar 13, 2007, 06:15 PM
Screw synthing. Raise a PM that will help you in battle and also to be a pleasant companion in bed. IF I had a nickel for every synth I failed on a 100 pure pm..... Sega will never let your pm be efficient in making weapons! They want you to keep paying to play, and that requires earning mesata, earning materials, wasting money on boards, failing muiltiple synths, earning mesata to make more synths, finally giving in and buying weapons from player shops or npcs. It's a vicious cycle, and I applaud Sega for how well they implemented it. Oh, I forgot the mesata involved in raising the PM to a "good" synth level. I must be slipping. And as for y'all, it's a contraction of you all. So "y'all" is correct, despite what those ten-gallon hat wearers say. Heh. At least try to follow the rules of English when totally ruining them with contractions.

DarkDeception
Mar 13, 2007, 06:20 PM
in all honesty i couldn't agree with you more. I made my first PM arbitrarily but my next one i'm going to make the one i like the most. But if you are wanting to synth items i'm pretty sure having a pure PM helps at least a little bit

Kaydin
Mar 13, 2007, 06:20 PM
On 2007-03-13 16:15, Mattardo wrote:
Screw synthing. Raise a PM that will help you in battle and also to be a pleasant companion in bed.

o.O No comment...

I must be slipping. And as for y'all, it's a contraction of you all. So "y'all" is correct, despite what those ten-gallon hat wearers say. Heh. At least try to follow the rules of English when totally ruining them with contractions.

We ten-gallon hat wearers made up the word. Ya'll is a contraction of "Ya all", which is how we southerners talk. Ya + all. The first 'a' in "all" is taken out, replaced by the apostrophe. Thus, ya'll. If you don't like it, don't use the word.

Crazy yankees. :P

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kadan on 2007-03-13 16:21 ]</font>

Gamemako
Mar 13, 2007, 06:26 PM
On 2007-03-13 15:40, Allison_W wrote:
Hrm. I'll bear all of these things in mind--thanks.

The 411 is more tolerable-looking than the 410 and still has the with owner behaviour, so I might make a 100 Striking PM and convert her to 411 when I get around to making my caster--she'll need the meatshield more than my fighter will. I could take my fighter's PM the 100 Tech route (to make wands/rods for the caster and for a support caster NPC), but something tells me it'll be more important to be able to synth elemental armours than new caster weapons, and a 100 Armour PM would let me get that adorable 441.

Incidentally, I hear caster weapons are easier to synth than striking weapons. Is this true?

Guns and wands are easier to synth because you don't need elemental ones. Elemental photons, aside from lowering success chances as is, mean that if you don't synth a good percent you might as well have failed.

You should consider over your four characters what matchups would be good. A "with owner" strike PM is a poor match for a fortetecher. They'll walk right up and attack you while your PM is dilly-dallying.

I highly recommend getting pure striking and tech PMs. Pure ranged and pure tech are optional. I personally am getting three pures and a 90-tech 420 with my wartecher/fortetecher.

My combinations are as follows:

Wartecher/Fortetecher: 420 (424)
Protranser: 430 (434)
Fortegunner/Guntecher: 440 (444)
Fortefighter/Fighgunner: 410 (414)

//EDIT: And it's you all. http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=y%27all

But I still hate that word. I've hated every second of it for the decade-and-a-half I've lived in this God-forsaken state.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gamemako on 2007-03-13 16:29 ]</font>

omegapirate2k
Mar 13, 2007, 07:09 PM
On 2007-03-13 16:20, Kadan wrote:
If you don't like it, don't use the word.

No thanks, I'd rather have society shun everyone who does XD

Dhylec
Mar 13, 2007, 07:13 PM
Guys, let's stay with the topic, yeah?

Allison_W
Mar 13, 2007, 11:56 PM
Screw synthing. Raise a PM that will help you in battle and also to be a pleasant companion in bed.

Duly noted, Hyuga. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Though, some of them are just so adorable... I want to squeeze them like teddy bears!

On 2007-03-13 16:26, Gamemako wrote: Guns and wands are easier to synth because you don't need elemental ones. Elemental photons, aside from lowering success chances as is, mean that if you don't synth a good percent you might as well have failed.

Makes sense. That's what I was figuring.

On 2007-03-13 16:26, Gamemako wrote: You should consider over your four characters what matchups would be good. A "with owner" strike PM is a poor match for a fortetecher. They'll walk right up and attack you while your PM is dilly-dallying.

Would you advise an Independent or With Group PM for a Fortetecher? And I'm guessing a good PM for a Fortefighter would still be ranged or tech support?

On 2007-03-13 16:26, Gamemako wrote: I highly recommend getting pure striking and tech PMs. Pure ranged and pure tech are optional. I personally am getting three pures and a 90-tech 420 with my wartecher/fortetecher.

See, now this is exactly the kind of information I'm looking for. Thank you. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

But, do you mean that you highly recommend getting pure striking and armour PMs, with ranged and tech PMs being optional? Depending upon how intent my brothers are at muscling in and getting their own characters on my account, I might have only two or three characters to work with, so I'll have to think about my balance. A 90-tech 42X doesn't sound bad for my future fT/WT if she makes a decent bodyguard, though.

On 2007-03-13 16:26, Gamemako wrote: But I still hate that word. I've hated every second of it for the decade-and-a-half I've lived in this God-forsaken state.

Perhaps I'll take to using "yo" instead.

Gamemako
Mar 14, 2007, 10:39 AM
On 2007-03-13 21:56, Allison_W wrote:

Duly noted, Hyuga. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Though, some of them are just so adorable... I want to squeeze them like teddy bears!

On 2007-03-13 16:26, Gamemako wrote: Guns and wands are easier to synth because you don't need elemental ones. Elemental photons, aside from lowering success chances as is, mean that if you don't synth a good percent you might as well have failed.

Makes sense. That's what I was figuring.

On 2007-03-13 16:26, Gamemako wrote: You should consider over your four characters what matchups would be good. A "with owner" strike PM is a poor match for a fortetecher. They'll walk right up and attack you while your PM is dilly-dallying.

Would you advise an Independent or With Group PM for a Fortetecher? And I'm guessing a good PM for a Fortefighter would still be ranged or tech support?

On 2007-03-13 16:26, Gamemako wrote: I highly recommend getting pure striking and tech PMs. Pure ranged and pure tech are optional. I personally am getting three pures and a 90-tech 420 with my wartecher/fortetecher.

See, now this is exactly the kind of information I'm looking for. Thank you. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

But, do you mean that you highly recommend getting pure striking and armour PMs, with ranged and tech PMs being optional? Depending upon how intent my brothers are at muscling in and getting their own characters on my account, I might have only two or three characters to work with, so I'll have to think about my balance. A 90-tech 42X doesn't sound bad for my future fT/WT if she makes a decent bodyguard, though.

On 2007-03-13 16:26, Gamemako wrote: But I still hate that word. I've hated every second of it for the decade-and-a-half I've lived in this God-forsaken state.

Perhaps I'll take to using "yo" instead.

I grew up in a neighborhood of "yo" and "ya'll," often used in combination. From this environment I learned to speak proper English.

It depends on what kinds of characters you have.

I don't recommend a ranged PM with a fortefighter, but that's just my opinion. If they get close, they get hit, which can be quite bad. 450s are great because of their healing ability, but are pretty much useless if you're in a party with any kind of techer. 410s can be decent helpers, but your lack of ability to heal them hurts.

What kinds of synthing PMs you want depends solely on what kind of characters you have. It also depends on what your brothers will make -- if they are going to make a pure striking, don't bother making one of your own. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Spacepest
Mar 14, 2007, 01:42 PM

O_O

LMAO

*Nougami approves of this topic*

Allison_W
Apr 3, 2007, 03:54 PM
All right. Sorry to resurrect this topic, but now I'm getting to thinking of how to distribute my PMs. I've currently got three of my character slots to myself, and I should be getting my fourth back relatively soon... If only because I forwarded some of the cash for him to replace his power supply in his box and can use that as an excuse. Anyway.

I've got one beast who I'm thinking I'll take Fortefighter or Fighgunner, maybe Protranser (but more likely than not, frontliner). I've one human who I'm taking a more Force-y route (currently going Wartecher, but Fortetecher will probably also happen). I've another human who I'm taking Guntecher or Fighgunner; probably both. And once I get my last character slot back, I'm making a CAST who'll be going Fortefighter or Fighgunner, maybe a little tour in Fortegunner if I ever get the urge.

So that's two likely fighter-types, one caster, and one character who's wavering a bit between being more fightery and more Rangery. If I make one pure striking 41X, one pure armour 44X, one pure ranged 43X (or perhaps an 80/20 ranged 42X), and either a pure tech 45X or a 90/10 tech 42X, any advice on which character should get which PM for combat purposes? I'm guessing a support 45X would be a big help for soloing as a frontliner (or failing that, any PM that's durable or otherwise good at staying alive), a 41X or 42X with a serviceably "bodyguard" AI would be ideal for my techer, and 43Xs and 44Xs would be best paired with a character that's either a ranged combatant or capable of healing them (as I hear they're not the most durable).

Any advice here on what the best pairings would be? I have ideas, but little actual experience concerning which PMs would perform best in conjunction with a given character type--like the best bodyguard for a caster or whatever. (Or whether an 80 ranged PM is adequate for synthing if I'm not likely to be synthing S-rank ranged weapons anytime soon, for instance.)

omegapirate2k
Apr 3, 2007, 06:16 PM
On 2007-04-03 13:54, Allison_W wrote:
All right. Sorry to resurrect this topic, but now I'm getting to thinking of how to distribute my PMs. I've currently got three of my character slots to myself, and I should be getting my fourth back relatively soon... If only because I forwarded some of the cash for him to replace his power supply in his box and can use that as an excuse. Anyway.

I've got one beast who I'm thinking I'll take Fortefighter or Fighgunner, maybe Protranser (but more likely than not, frontliner). I've one human who I'm taking a more Force-y route (currently going Wartecher, but Fortetecher will probably also happen). I've another human who I'm taking Guntecher or Fighgunner; probably both. And once I get my last character slot back, I'm making a CAST who'll be going Fortefighter or Fighgunner, maybe a little tour in Fortegunner if I ever get the urge.

So that's two likely fighter-types, one caster, and one character who's wavering a bit between being more fightery and more Rangery. If I make one pure striking 41X, one pure armour 44X, one pure ranged 43X (or perhaps an 80/20 ranged 42X), and either a pure tech 45X or a 90/10 tech 42X, any advice on which character should get which PM for combat purposes? I'm guessing a support 45X would be a big help for soloing as a frontliner (or failing that, any PM that's durable or otherwise good at staying alive), a 41X or 42X with a serviceably "bodyguard" AI would be ideal for my techer, and 43Xs and 44Xs would be best paired with a character that's either a ranged combatant or capable of healing them (as I hear they're not the most durable).

Any advice here on what the best pairings would be? I have ideas, but little actual experience concerning which PMs would perform best in conjunction with a given character type--like the best bodyguard for a caster or whatever. (Or whether an 80 ranged PM is adequate for synthing if I'm not likely to be synthing S-rank ranged weapons anytime soon, for instance.)

You should probably stick with a 41X type for a caster character.

And for a close range fighter a 45X would be the best fit I think.

Guntecher would probably get the most use out of a 43X or 44X

Fortegunners/wartechers would do fairly well with a 42X (Im a wartecher and my 422 works well with me)

If you want to have such diverse characters you might as well go and make 4 pure PM's so you'll always have the best chance of synthing ANYTHING your characters might need, just pair them together to be as good in combat as possible with their respective owner.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: omegapirate2k on 2007-04-03 16:17 ]</font>

Allison_W
Apr 3, 2007, 09:05 PM
On 2007-04-03 16:16, omegapirate2k wrote: You should probably stick with a 41X type for a caster character.

And for a close range fighter a 45X would be the best fit I think.

Guntecher would probably get the most use out of a 43X or 44X

Fortegunners/wartechers would do fairly well with a 42X (Im a wartecher and my 422 works well with me)

If you want to have such diverse characters you might as well go and make 4 pure PM's so you'll always have the best chance of synthing ANYTHING your characters might need, just pair them together to be as good in combat as possible with their respective owner.

Thanks. I'm thinking I'm going to have at least three pure PMs, and I might make the last one a 42X instead of a 43X or 45X, just because I like the gypsy's look. Of course, replacing the 45X with a 42X will cost me a supporter I could have for one of my melee types as well as 10 points in the tech department, and replacing the 43X with a 42X would cost me 20 points in the ranged department... But thankfully, neither of these weapon types require that I make a bajillion different pieces of elemental gear like striking and armour do. (No, only worry there is whether I succeed or fail at synthing rares and Kubara versions and whatnot... not a small concern, I suppose.)

But in any case, I know I'm going to have one pure striking and one pure armour. So I just need to figure who gets which one, and it's sounding like my fT/WT should get the 41X and my Guntecher-ish one should get the 44X. Or something along those lines.