PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody actually seen this?

Jaysky
Mar 15, 2007, 10:36 PM
Have you people ever heard of the show X-Play? Well i'm about to show you a video of them reviewing Phantasy Star Universe, and i'm sorry if anybody else has already showed this. Anyways I'd like to see how many of you agree and/or disagree with these reviewers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjrVbruFNKw

Dj_SkyEpic
Mar 15, 2007, 10:41 PM
I couldn't hear the sound, but I know the show. I have the channel and etc. but I haven't watched it recently for their reviews.

I believe a 3 out of 5 is a bit harsh. Maybe a 4 out of 5 might be a bit better XD

Tulio07
Mar 15, 2007, 10:50 PM
they reviewed it based on what was released initially. I'm sure it would be a little different now, but in all honesty, this game is addicting, but it's not worth more than a 3 or 4

NPCMook
Mar 15, 2007, 11:06 PM
a 3 means the game wasn't bad, but it wasn't ground breaking either... I'd say their review is pretty much justified... even if more content was out it would have probably gotten a 3 just the same

PJ
Mar 15, 2007, 11:09 PM
Honestly, they don't give a score OTHER than 3, unless it's a popular game (5) or a really bad game (1 or 2)

That show is so terrible and really accounts for nothing.

Kimil
Mar 15, 2007, 11:16 PM
all my hope for PSU to rebound, is the expansion...
PLEASE SEGA! don't fuck it up this time!
just release ALL the game content on release day.

NPCMook
Mar 15, 2007, 11:17 PM
On 2007-03-15 21:09, PJ wrote:
Honestly, they don't give a score OTHER than 3, unless it's a popular game (5) or a really bad game (1 or 2)

That show is so terrible and really accounts for nothing.

Most people say this about the show since its a show with real people talking, not a text driven Decimal rendering review that you read to yourself.. Honestly what makes a review so different between a 5.1 and a 5.2? Perhaps a Scene left out 1 pixel maybe I dunno

Basically from watching the show before Morgan joined the fray, they are pretty spot on, sure the jokes suck, the intern abuse is occasionally amusing, but overall their reviews are decent.

from what I understand:
1 - Why was it even made?
2 - Very few people will enjoy this
3 - Its pretty good for a time sink
4 - Its something you'd buy then think maybe I should have rented it
5 - Its good, its something new-ish

Sure most games that get a 5 are the hyped ones, but when are most hyped games REALLY bad?

DonRoyale
Mar 15, 2007, 11:23 PM
Hmm...Did you show me this already?

You know you've petrified me of that damn YT by now...

But still, as said, it was given the review based on its initial content. I would've given it 2 1/2 based on initial content...and about 3 1/2 now. (Due to the fact that the best clothes and items still have yet to be released)

DurakkenX
Mar 15, 2007, 11:25 PM
X-play is one of the worst things to go by when you are looking for reviews... the show itself blows...so the bad reviews with crappy jokes doesn't help....of course the fact that it is shoved down your throat all day on G4 is sad...

Icons, AotS, and one of the shows they canceled or switched to just webcasts are the only good things that station produces...

Cheaters... is obviously just them going to gamefaws and reading off their code page v.v

NPCMook
Mar 15, 2007, 11:29 PM
On 2007-03-15 21:25, DurakkenX wrote:
X-play is one of the worst things to go by when you are looking for reviews... the show itself blows...so the bad reviews with crappy jokes doesn't help....of course the fact that it is shoved down your throat all day on G4 is sad...

Icons, AotS, and one of the shows they canceled or switched to just webcasts are the only good things that station produces...

Cheaters... is obviously just them going to gamefaws and reading off their code page v.v

No Cheaters is about that Detective group that finds out if your boyfriends or Girlfriend is cheating on you... unless you mean "Cheat!" yeah that show blows... and the fact its hosted by a Kristen Holt who was on American Idol... HA LAUGHABLE!

Icons WAS good before they split it into Icons/Game makers just to fill a void during prime time

AotS Sucks... it has sucked since they got rid of Leo, the only reason I was watching that show was for Yoshi... and he's gone, Horrible show

X-play at least makes me laugh

This thread totally derailed btw...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NPCMook on 2007-03-15 21:31 ]</font>

ShadowDragon28
Mar 15, 2007, 11:53 PM
" The overall coverage of each game in what are proclaimed to be a 'review' is often just an excuse to tell bad jokes or show childish jokes that make even SNL skits look good.
With it's horrid acting, badly scripted skits, and sorry excuses for 'jokes'
'X-Play' gets a ONE out of Five " ---Mr. Reviewer with co-host Morgan Manjaw.

Jinto117
Mar 15, 2007, 11:58 PM
The only reason I watch X-Play is becuase I want to make love to Morgan Webb.

NPCMook
Mar 15, 2007, 11:58 PM
On 2007-03-15 21:53, ShadowDragon28 wrote:
" The overall coverage of each game in what are proclaimed to be a 'review' is often just an excuse to tell bad jokes or show childish jokes that make even SNL skits look good.
With it's horrid acting, badly scripted skits, and sorry excuses for 'jokes'
'X-Play' gets a ONE out of Five " ---Mr. Reviewer with co-host Morgan Manjaw.

For the better version (http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=218)

Obviously they have been doing something right or this show would have been canceled 5 years ago when Adam's original Co-host left the show

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NPCMook on 2007-03-15 22:02 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NPCMook on 2007-03-15 22:08 ]</font>

Niered
Mar 16, 2007, 12:20 AM
Id seen this review, i actually dont have a problem with the SCORE so much as the show.

Remember that glorious, glorious occasion before that whore of a network called G4 "merged" with the great techTV? X-Play, or as it was called, "Extended play" was actually very informative. In fact I held there opinions in as high of merit as those of Gamepro or any other gaming magazine.

Hell, back then Morgan wasnt bad even! I mean, sure she was obviously the sex-appeal of the show, but who cared when you got good reviews of games at the same time? And Sessler has always been funny, so the show was one of my favorite afternoon retreats.

Then, G4 caught wind of the fact that someone else had a succesful gaming show. Maybe Im not wording that properly, since G4's shows tended to be of the mindless drivel sort that were high on the intern sketches (which sucked something awful) and low on the actual gaming. BUT WAIT. WERE TELEVISION FOR GAMERS! NOONE CAN HAVE A SUCCESFUL GAMING REVIEW SHOW BUT US!

And thus beseeched TechTV for the horrid, aforementioned, merger. Which wasnt really so much a merger as a "OH HAI GUIZ 3 MUNTHS L8ER WE WIL CHNGE TEH NAEM BAK 2 G4 AND GET RID UF EVRYTHANG CEPT X-PLAY. AND BOOBS."

And that is why X-Play now sucks. Morgan was never the cause of it, but she can be blamed for being a stupid bytch and basically going along with it. At least Adam never changed.

NPCMook
Mar 16, 2007, 12:24 AM
On 2007-03-15 22:20, Niered wrote:

And that is why X-Play now sucks. Morgan was never the cause of it, but she can be blamed for being a stupid bytch and basically going along with it. At least Adam never changed.

you can see it at the end of every show Adam puts on the horridly fake smile and dies a little bit inside repressing his hate for something he's done for so long and he will probably eventually either snap and get fired, or die from a Tumor

Niered
Mar 16, 2007, 12:28 AM
Sad but true Mook, im surprised he hasnt quit already, but Im sure they're paying him worth his time, since without him there is no X-Play. It was called something before "Extended play" even, i just cant recall the name, and hes been there ever since its beginnings.

NPCMook
Mar 16, 2007, 12:30 AM
I believe it was GameSpot TV

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0240267/

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NPCMook on 2007-03-15 22:30 ]</font>

Niered
Mar 16, 2007, 12:34 AM
lawdy lawdy, so thats what it was, thank you kind sir!

NPCMook
Mar 16, 2007, 12:37 AM
If you truly want to see a honest to god good review attempt to find an episode from Gamespot TV, then compare it to X-play...

APEXi
Mar 16, 2007, 12:41 AM
funny, i dont think i've seen anyone give it higher score than xplay.. so whatre you complaining about?
IGN scored it: 6.6/10 for ps2 5.5/to pc and 6.4/10 x360

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: APEXi on 2007-03-15 22:43 ]</font>

Proff
Mar 16, 2007, 12:57 AM
3 out of 5 = average. And that's what PSU really is. Just another average online RPG.

ShadowDragon28
Mar 16, 2007, 01:23 AM
IMO PSU should have a 4 out of 5.

Why? Features such as PM's, My Room, Blacklist feature, Player Shop, character create system, various clothes or Cast Parts, the *excellent* smooth and quick battle system,
the gradual influx of added or unlocked content such as the many free missions, story missions and Bruce's Dungeon; all of which has been fun and quite challenging,
and also of note; all the beautiful areas like Neudaiz at night, Moatoob's valleys, the Hive and Parum Relics area.(IMO some areas on Parum are quite dull, like Raffon Plains)

When played fairly casually, IMO PSU is very fun, trying to rush & grind is not recommended.

IMO overall PSU is *above* average. There's room for some improvement, and some expansion sure, but by no means is it "average." Now MAPLE STORY, that *is* an example of an average online rpg.

Now, I've been playing videogames since the days of the Atari 2600 was at it's heights. I have played about I'm guessing just under 1000 various videogames since 1980 (from Atari 2600 to PS2 and some XBOX 360 games).

I've played all manner of *aweful* games as well as many well designed videogames. And I'm studing Game Development and Conceptual Design; so I have a very strong grasp of what constitutes a "bad", "average", "above average", and an "excellent" videogame.

And after all that, I'd rather play PSU than just about any other online RPG.
Size, complexity, or popularity & hype IMO does not equate to a "good" online game.

I'd rather play PSU than WoW or any other online game. Setting up Macros and pointing and clicking things, and menus get boring real quick within my experience. So I threw away my WoW demo...
It had pretty graphics, but I just wasn't finding the the 'fun factor' in it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShadowDragon28 on 2007-03-15 23:29 ]</font>

DurakkenX
Mar 16, 2007, 01:37 AM
Yeah i agree.. PSU is a 4 out of 5 at worst and I come the same type of background.

PSO was a 5 out 5 and set the bar... PSU removed a lot of PSO's stuff ^.^

ShadowDragon28
Mar 16, 2007, 01:46 AM
Well that's what the expansion/sequel? "Ambition of Illuminus" is apparently for.

PSU has the potential to improve nicely, but what's available so far is pretty darn solid. Updates could be slightly speed up IMO. I really want my darn Formal Wear coat for males! lol.....

Criss
Mar 16, 2007, 02:38 AM
I personally think PSU is a great game, much more worth it than any other online RPG, at least to people interested in having fun rather than to increase computer variables related to a character. PSU has an active battle system, solid gameplay overall, good visuals considering it was made for the PS2's hardware, allows for fun teamwork and doesn't have the frustrating aspects of getting PKed out of nowhere and losing gear, money, exp or whatever (I guess grinding and synthing are the exceptions that confirm the rule).

Sure, the atmosphere is different to PSO, and the soundtrack could be better in some points. But still, it's still one of the best online RPGs out there: one that's enjoyable, doesn't need two weeks of grinding for one level, allows everyone to create a character to their liking that doesn't look like 1000+ other players, is easy to pick up and has a great community. The basics of the game have been laid down, the potential is great, and the content is coming.

Once PSU dies of age 5~7 years from now, you will not remember it as a successor to PSO, but as one of the best online games of the decade. Keep in mind, what you see now is only the beginning.

Edit: I realize I kinda deviated from the original topic, but anyways... This is what I have to say to all these "PSO was better! PSU doesn't have what it takes to be like PSO! PSU feels so empty and needs more stuff!" people. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Criss on 2007-03-16 00:41 ]</font>

ShadowDragon28
Mar 16, 2007, 03:02 AM
Criss. We've *got* to team up some time on PSU. Im on the PC/PS2 servers.

I reward you with 100 internets for your great post. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Criss
Mar 16, 2007, 03:23 AM
Hehe, sure. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif I'm on PC/PS2 too. I'll probably be playing after I get some sleep (past 4am here), so I'll be on in maybe 10 hours. I'll be checking on the forums so send me a PM (as in forum message, not lolibot http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif ).

And thanks ^.^ *puts internets in e-wallet*