PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to play the game without grinding?

Zorafim
Mar 15, 2007, 11:21 PM
I don't mind grinding for meseta if I have something to buy. I don't mind grinding for MP if I get a noticeable stat boost. I don't mind grinding for an item if it means I get a pretty glowstick to hit things with. And I don't mind grinding for exp if it will let me equip a new item or allow me into a better mission.

However, at the moment, there's no reason to grind besides getting useless levels and hitting the level cap. At the moment, I have and can equip any weapon and armor I could want, and can access every mission available. I've even capped my job. Thus, there's no reason for me to grind in the same area continuously. And yet, I can't think of anything better to do with my PSU time.

If I could just explore, or do a series of levels as seen in PSO, then it wouldn't be bad. But due to player mentality, I cannot find anybody else to do this with. Everyone is grinding the same mission, meaning nobody is freely exploring the rest of the levels. To be with anybody, I'd have to be stuck in the same level, canceling when we finally finish it.

So, what should I do? Maybe find those Jaggos? Hunt for my save unit? Or just put up with the boredom and grind until I have nothing else to do? Is there no other option?

NPCMook
Mar 15, 2007, 11:25 PM
I feel the same way a lot of the time, at times after a 5th run through Holy grounds or something I find my eyes getting heavy and I'm yawning a lot more than I normally would.. Perhaps finding an RPing group would break your rut

VanHalen
Mar 15, 2007, 11:35 PM
Pull a Great Parum Adventure. Do every mission on one planet with your friends.

ssl118
Mar 15, 2007, 11:43 PM
Start a new job. I did it and with lab S2 you can get your HU, RA, FO to whatever lvl you need in no time. At this point you have to make your own fun. Set goals and work toward them. It's kept the wait for additional weapons fresh for me.

Zorafim
Mar 15, 2007, 11:43 PM
I have friends?

Kimil
Mar 15, 2007, 11:49 PM
I've been wanting to do this ><
Just go through LL and FFF,
then maybe go through De Ragan and NOT cancel. I haven't killed that big cow in a while, I wonder how he's doing.
How's ONma now?
What about Fanatics?
Remnants?

everything got a stat boost, I wanna go killem!...

No ones with me though.

VanHalen
Mar 15, 2007, 11:51 PM
On 2007-03-15 21:43, Zorafim wrote:
I have friends?

Yeah.....well I thought you did. If not I will be if I can get my subscription renewed tommorow http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif. Just take the people you like the most on your list and do every mission on Parum at the highest difficulty you guys can do. Like Train Rescue>Mad Creatures>Sleeping Warriors>Plains Overlord>Mad Beast>Lab Recovery>Endrum Remnants>Dual Sentinial.

It's the closest thing to an adventure feel without grinding. You can do this on any planet but I think Parum has the most missions I'm not sure. Even RP as a tour guide!

Zorafim
Mar 16, 2007, 02:03 AM
I doubt I'll be able to coax anyone into actually doing this, but I think soloing on A rank seems like fun. I haven't been on Moatoob in a while, so I may start there. Maybe I'll build my PM's Battle stat while doing this as well.

AweOfShe
Mar 16, 2007, 02:10 AM
Let's do a Neudaiz World Tour. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Jey
Mar 16, 2007, 02:17 AM
Once in awhile I'll just go on a tour of the Big Mean Bosses and Beat Them Down.

Unfortunately, Dulk Fakis is no fun on A, and Onmagoug is a pain no matter what the level, so I usually drag a friend or two along for those.

Criss
Mar 16, 2007, 02:48 AM
I'd say I'll join you on those tours, but I don't think a lv 42 would be able to do all those S missions. Maybe A, don't know. At any rate, best things you can do besides grinding and do a big mission tour of a planet would be to start a new character and/or experiment with new jobs.

Proff
Mar 16, 2007, 05:16 AM
It'd be nice if Sonic Team would quit playing around and release all the difficulties they're planning on releasing and raise the level cap to 200 like it was in PSO. Then they can release their rares and new areas as they please.

Zarbolord
Mar 16, 2007, 05:19 AM
I wish someone would grind Onma S with me =_= I rly want a halarod.

Balthasar
Mar 16, 2007, 06:38 AM
Just two nights ago a problem arose in my party around this issue. We were grinding the new onma for exp and MP since we had a level 41 or 42 in the party, and my pal WARMACHINE ver 6 and I just could not take the grinds of the same levels over and over. We bailed and duo-ed Ragnus S. It was all strategy, teamwork, and best of all, lots of fun as we S ranked it. People need to chill out on grinding just to make their e-peens bigger, seriously. No one cares, just go have fun. I wanna do mad beasts S again, And SYSTEM DEFENSE/DESERT TERROR! How I miss those missions...by the way people, many S rank missions have had their monster's stats boosted for more of a challeneg. For example, System Defense's monsters are now level 70+ on S rank difficulty.

Rashiid
Mar 16, 2007, 06:40 AM
untill i get every TECH up to 30 (which will take MONTHS) then i aint dont yet http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Tiyr
Mar 16, 2007, 07:50 AM
My two partners and I do "world tour" type stuff all the time. If anyone's on the PC servers who wants to do this sort of thing, I'm in. I think half the reason I'm not bored is that I don't ever do the same level more than twice in a row.

Natrokos
Mar 16, 2007, 09:07 AM
I got to 45 so fast...60 was pretty quick....70 was slow. I will probably reach 80 like 4 months from now. It's not that i'm bored but I do sit around talking or looking at clothes alot. I dont feel a rush to get to 80 and I do C and B missions alot.

MayLee
Mar 16, 2007, 09:19 AM
I tried grinding some rods here and there for extra PP..I broke two rods a couple days ago..Wasn't too happy about that..

SuperRygar
Mar 16, 2007, 09:39 AM
>.< the word grinding is dumb. i'm level 50 and like 60% of my runs were LL hahah i've done those 2 missions so many times i dont even have to think about it. and im not at all bored with it. i got a shit load of megi-photons and its a great place to level PA's. lots of large groups of enemies that stick together. perfect conditions. getting bored with this game is going to happen eventually...maybe you should step away for a while?

chibiLegolas
Mar 16, 2007, 11:51 AM
At times like these, shouldn't you start (or already have) a good card lists of friends to mass mail your plight? There's others who are also bored of Labs, I'm sure. Just gotta make use of the nifty new feature in PSU and Mass Mail your request to everyone you know, no?

I myself would love to visit Neudiz or Satelite/Hive more. But I too can't find anyone willing to leave labs. Or meet non eletists who are willing to show me the ropes at Hive. At least on the PS2/PC.

SolomonGrundy
Mar 16, 2007, 11:56 AM
I like to switch it up as well. The only mission I can S rank solo right now (and S rank) is Dragon, but I'm getting close to being able to do Mizuraki Defense. I've got a feeling that sometime soon I'll be able to do the train run on Parum, which would be groovy, as I really want free crossbows ;-p

CyarVictor
Mar 16, 2007, 11:59 AM
Since I've been making some simple meseta and already have a huge load of 7-9* weapons; I have began to synthesize weapons to see if I can get some good percents. Might as well, that and finally get some better armor. Even with this cap, I find ways to keep lots of interest without grinding. Either I hang with friends in a buds room, may start leveling the figunner class again for twindaggers/twinsabers.

ShineOnline
Mar 16, 2007, 12:07 PM
What they need is to group sets of levels together (Unsafe Passage + FFF, for instance) to form a longer quest with some mes/MP bonuses at the end.

Ronin1of47
Mar 16, 2007, 12:15 PM
this happened to me too, i was happy w/ everything i had and all my arts so i started a new character all togther, and than after another 400 hours i did it again, none of my character are capped (my job is on my fT) i didnt want to get them there cause i knew i would get bored and never play them again. Its alot of fun to use your high level character to pump meseta into a lvl 20 character to get better equip fast.
well hope that helps it kept me happy atleast

SolomonGrundy
Mar 16, 2007, 12:16 PM
On 2007-03-16 10:07, ShineOnline wrote:
What they need is to group sets of levels together (Unsafe Passage + FFF, for instance) to form a longer quest with some mes/MP bonuses at the end.

It is defeintely a disincentive to do certain missions as a result of the poor mission points.

A rank FFF 9 mission points? I could get that doing Hive C runs.

PJ
Mar 16, 2007, 12:24 PM
On 2007-03-15 21:43, Zorafim wrote:
I have friends?

Make friends.

The only missions me and my friends EVER grind is Bruces, and that's only pre-expert classes for MP. Every other time, we just go through sets of missions. We never grind any specific one (MAYBE De Ragnus, but that's cause it's fun).

It seems too many people are concerned with grinding this game to death rather than enjoy it. Go through System Defense path on Moatoob instead of the boring Valley of Carnage path, take the long way to the Labs on Parum every now and again.

VanHalen
Mar 16, 2007, 02:38 PM
Yeah so how about dem world tours? We should get together and do this tonight or tommorow.

Akaimizu
Mar 16, 2007, 02:49 PM
That's actually a pretty nifty idea. If you get a group to agree, just to pick some run of missions through a planet (normally reached the end of the path in 2 or 3 missions), and then jump to the next and do one there.

It'll be called "Gurhal Planet-trotters World Tour". Full of comedy and good fighting. It'll get popular and have merchandise based on it, a set of Planet-trotter shorts, their own theme song....and maybe even some futuristic pinball-game named after them.

Stezan
Mar 16, 2007, 09:13 PM
I love just playing missions because u feel like it. unfortunatley for me, I cant ever find people to play Grove of Fanatics, my most favorite mission.

Some random things I do to prevent things getting bland is sit around sometimes. If me and afriend are in a mission and are separted by a large gap, (say, a body of water) we both stop to throw emotes across at each other, heh

Sekani
Mar 16, 2007, 09:48 PM
MayLee and I have been sort of doing the world tour thing for the last few days out of boredom. Almost everyone on my card list is doing nothing but Lab Recovery SS, so it's hard to find a party for anything really productive.

Gen2000
Mar 17, 2007, 12:25 AM
I did a Parum Srank tour a few months ago before the UltPA update, I just started in Mad Creatures S and made a comment announcing that I was going through all missions. Someone by the name of "Rain" joined me and it was just pretty much me and her the whole way. Had a full party at De Ragan S but most bailed at dragon as I expected.

At the time she was a Newman Wartecher and I was a Cast Fortegunner so it was a nice duo and it was really fun. We duo Mad Beasts and got two more to join during out Lab Recovery S run (which at the time was the latest hotspot) but after we finished told we were doing Endrum next they bailed, again as I expected. Sadly Rain had to go do so I ended up solo'ing Endrum S (I like to finish what I started).

You really get to learn your character strengths and weakness playing a variety of missions in a row and there seems to be more of a "bond" between your teammates this way, almost that same feeling from PSO when you did Forest > Ruins runs.

Sad that so many missions are out now but 95% of them are ignored.