PDA

View Full Version : Idling in high traffic lobbies~

Helly
Mar 18, 2007, 08:58 PM
Great Menace or Greatest Menace?

Lobbies are usually pretty big so is it like to much ta ask for people who're gonna be away for a long period of time to like not sit their butts down right infront of the mission entrances? If ya all don't quit loitering, the PSU Police got some tickets with your names on it!

omegapirate2k
Mar 18, 2007, 09:00 PM
High traffic lobby idlers killed my father, and raped my mother!!!

TouchOfRed
Mar 18, 2007, 09:04 PM
On 2007-03-18 19:00, omegapirate2k wrote:

those sick bastards...wait what's wrong with sitting out in front of the mission people just don't want to have to go back and forth there is nothing wrong with lazy people

Amalga
Mar 18, 2007, 09:42 PM

They've poisoned all of our crops and burned down our villages!

... Heh, naw. I idle all the time--though I don't sit in front of the mission entrance. I park my character on a bench or near a corner somewhere.

McLaughlin
Mar 18, 2007, 09:48 PM

As long as they haven't thrown your own home planet at you there's still hope.

HerdsmanOfYrr
Mar 18, 2007, 09:50 PM
On 2007-03-18 19:48, Obsidian_Knight wrote:

than its too late for me

omegapirate2k
Mar 18, 2007, 09:50 PM
On 2007-03-18 19:48, Obsidian_Knight wrote:

I'll always have that.

Deprimenthia
Mar 18, 2007, 10:08 PM
On the 360 version, the one person I see idling the most is an individual named "Ninjara". Whenever I see him/her, they seem to be gone. Tis crazy.

Shade-
Mar 18, 2007, 10:37 PM
I dont understand the problem. If you can pass right through player modles, there's no problem. Now, People idling outside the residence area in Jeuno in final fantasy xi is a problem because it can take minutes to actually make it into your room.

Additionally, I've never seen uni 2 full in the past month, so there's no issue with people idling on populated universes.

Neggy
Mar 18, 2007, 10:38 PM
In FFXI, there was a problem with idlers sitting outside entrance of the FFXI equivalent of 'your room', you'd see upward of 100 idling out there. They had to impliment a system to space out the people who zone out of their rooms. It didn't work.

Anyway, in PSU, I don't mind the idlers so long as they don't plop their butts out in the middle of a high traffic area. If you're going to go idle, shoo yourself in a corner, or on a bench or chair, plz.

Golto
Mar 18, 2007, 10:47 PM
With the ps2's limited ram it does cause some major loading times especially the npc item seller. The thing I hate the most are morons the ones who afk spam text. My blacklist is getting kinda long.

Garnet_Moon
Mar 18, 2007, 10:51 PM
On 2007-03-18 20:47, Golto wrote:
With the ps2's limited ram it does cause some major loading times especially the npc item seller. The thing I hate the most are morons the ones who afk spam text. My blacklist is getting kinda long.

I think i'm going to start idling in "The XP place to be!" zones of PSU when I'm playing L2 now, just because you mentioned the limited PS2's ram.

Amalga
Mar 18, 2007, 10:51 PM
On 2007-03-18 20:08, Deprimenthia wrote:
On the 360 version, the one person I see idling the most is an individual named "Ninjara". Whenever I see him/her, they seem to be gone. Tis crazy.

The funny thing is, it's always at the same spot. Ninjara only sits on that arrow on the floor--never anywhere else. Though I've actually talked to them before, but they seldom ever do anything.

Zer0_ConvoY
Mar 18, 2007, 11:12 PM
now kids, close your eyes and imagine you are using a ps2 or a junker of a pc instead of a behemoth like I have, not everyone on the interweb can load a full room of characters in 5 seconds like me or some of you guys, it would be nice if the people who's system isn't as powerful as their character didn't get lagged to hell because of unnesessary idlers at the door, that is what's at the heart of this topic, kindness to your fellow gamer

ljkkjlcm9
Mar 18, 2007, 11:14 PM
I've idled waiting to start a mission, come back, and I've been booted from the party. Sometimes before they finish the mission, sometimes after. I can't help it, when a friend needs me, I get up and help them!

THE JACKEL

Garnet_Moon
Mar 18, 2007, 11:18 PM
On 2007-03-18 21:12, Zer0_ConvoY wrote:
now kids, close your eyes and imagine you are using a ps2 or a junker of a pc instead of a behemoth like I have, not everyone on the interweb can load a full room of characters in 5 seconds like me or some of you guys, it would be nice if the people who's system isn't as powerful as their character didn't get lagged to hell because of unnesessary idlers at the door, that is what's at the heart of this topic, kindness to your fellow gamer

Get a job and get a better gaming rig then. D:

Amalga
Mar 18, 2007, 11:23 PM
it would be nice if the people who's system isn't as powerful as their character didn't get lagged to hell because of unnesessary idlers at the door, that is what's at the heart of this topic, kindness to your fellow gamer

I'm fairly sure the lag isn't due to idle characters. Because of their almost complete lack of movement there's barely anything there for the system to load--practically no more than the animated environment.

Are there a lot of spammers on the PS2 servers? I'd more blame them.

Helly
Mar 18, 2007, 11:29 PM
On 2007-03-18 20:51, Amalga wrote:
The funny thing is, it's always at the same spot. Ninjara only sits on that arrow on the floor--never anywhere else. Though I've actually talked to them before, but they seldom ever do anything.

So is this guy trying to be the Ryu20 of the 360 version? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

now kids, close your eyes and imagine you are using a ps2 or a junker of a pc instead of a behemoth like I have, not everyone on the interweb can load a full room of characters

Characters? Sometimes I can't load peoples names over their heads just a few "feet" away from me. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cry.gif I see people calling out to me to join them but gotta run around all over the place to find 'em! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

On 2007-03-18 21:23, Amalga wrote:
I'm fairly sure the lag isn't due to idle characters. Because of their almost complete lack of movement there's barely anything there for the system to load--practically no more than the animated environment.

Are there a lot of spammers on the PS2 servers? I'd more blame them.

Even if they are idle, the more objects/people in the area adds up ta massive slowdown. And yes there are spammers. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Helly on 2007-03-18 21:31 ]</font>

Raysa
Mar 18, 2007, 11:40 PM
Ryu20 was in PSO on the Xbox. I remember him standing in the lobby and moving a coupl eof times. Everyone was shocked. It's odd he's in the PS2 version. I would have thought he would be in the xbox360 one?

Amalga
Mar 18, 2007, 11:58 PM
Even if they are idle, the more objects/people in the area adds up ta massive slowdown. And yes there are spammers.
Well, here's the thing. Once the computer renders the idle character, it doesn't have to do anything else other than play the "breathing" animation. So even if it adds up, you'll have to have a staggering amount of them to really slow the framerate down or cause any congestion.

People moving around and moving excessively is what would largely contribute to the slowdown, seeing as it's not only having to render several animation cycles at once, it's having to do so in real time from several different locations.

pikachief
Mar 19, 2007, 12:00 AM
On 2007-03-18 20:08, Deprimenthia wrote:

ninjara was supposed to make a lil version of VOLTRON but he never did! (like lil meru)

omegapirate2k
Mar 19, 2007, 10:01 AM
Are you VOLTRON, pikachief?

MayLee
Mar 19, 2007, 10:05 AM
I only Idle in my room. I can never Idle in lobbies so my face wont get raped by idots.

-Rune-
Mar 19, 2007, 10:05 AM
I don't mind all the people in the lobby, it could be worse it could be no people in the lobby and only you there. How fun would that be? :/

CyarVictor
Mar 19, 2007, 10:11 AM
It's not the people who idle that cause the slow down, it's the spammers till I blacklist them. Constant bubbles everywhere. I usually run into walls when trying to move through a crowd, though I rarely go to uni 1-3. Evil lag bubbles.

Zer0_ConvoY
Mar 19, 2007, 10:24 AM
On 2007-03-18 21:58, Amalga wrote:

Even if they are idle, the more objects/people in the area adds up ta massive slowdown. And yes there are spammers.
Well, here's the thing. Once the computer renders the idle character, it doesn't have to do anything else other than play the "breathing" animation. So even if it adds up, you'll have to have a staggering amount of them to really slow the framerate down or cause any congestion.

People moving around and moving excessively is what would largely contribute to the slowdown, seeing as it's not only having to render several animation cycles at once, it's having to do so in real time from several different locations.

apparently someone hasn't walked out of a lab s2 mission during prime time... I don't stagger, but i know the ps2 and low end pcs probably would.

Rashiid
Mar 19, 2007, 10:31 AM
i go in corners, facing the wall, signifying that im ignoring everyone = idle.

SuperRygar
Mar 19, 2007, 10:44 AM
on PS2, if there's 50 ppl right in front of the mission counter when you come out, it just shows a bunch of generic people. and slowly it loads the clothes and stuff. there's no lag, it just takes a while to see what someone else's character actually looks like. its been my experience that in lobbies if there's lag it doesnt affect me, everybody else appears to move all choppy. i see no problem with idling in the lobbies. i do it all the time, not in the path of the mission entrance, but its not a big deal anyways

-Rune-
Mar 19, 2007, 10:47 AM
Yea it really isn't a big deal... if yer walking through Tokyo or a busy New York street, how many people can you indentify perfetly on the first glance, it takes awhile to see everyone, so it's no different here. xD

CyarVictor
Mar 19, 2007, 10:48 AM
I go idle in my dressing room so people don't bad rep me if i don't respond and I'm not there. I rarely go idle in the lobby, only for a second to grab a drink or do some errand.

SuperRygar
Mar 19, 2007, 10:55 AM
bad rep you? cause you dont respond? hahaha

if you want ppl on your card list to know your afk, start a mission and change the name to include - AFK and they'l be able to see it if they look you up

CyarVictor
Mar 19, 2007, 11:15 AM
Yep, had it happen twice just cause i wasn't there. And another time cause I wouldn't give a guy an ax for free. He gave me the usual me sob story about how he was an idiot for dropping a weapon on the floor since the leader asked to see what it would look like lying there and he got booted.

The mission thing won't work. Well i should say, my friends don't mind me being afk here and there. I usually tell them or they mail me if they want something/party up. I hide in the dressing room when i go idle so i won't be found be a stalker.... He's, yes a male stalker, known to break my pass even when i title my party Leveling PA's. he'll just pop in randomly. Also I've watched his card and noticed that he'll make his way to a group that he follows, even when we universe jump several times.

i think the other reason i rarely idle in the lobby is to come back to:
A)A random trade window
B)Being called a noob by a bunch of low levels for no reason
C)Finding a guy sitting in my lap
D)Getting several msgs from a noob begging
F)XBox freezing in a high traffic lobby

ThEoRy
Mar 20, 2007, 12:28 PM

Lol! Isn't that what happened to Bruce Wayne aka Freaking BATMAN?!!

Esufer
Mar 20, 2007, 12:34 PM
I once walked into a lobby where everyone was idling.

They weren't idle for long.

/teamposeleftf

Akaimizu
Mar 20, 2007, 12:58 PM
I don't idle in lobbies for pretty much the same reason Maylee doesn't. Then again, I almost never idle. I generally log off if I'm going to be away. I want to keep my total playtime as close to my actual active playtime as possible. I might have accumulated 1/2 hr to my total idle time.

ThEoRy
Mar 20, 2007, 02:36 PM
On 2007-03-20 10:58, Akaimizu wrote:
I don't idle in lobbies for pretty much the same reason Maylee doesn't. Then again, I almost never idle. I generally log off if I'm going to be away. I want to keep my total playtime as close to my actual active playtime as possible. I might have accumulated 1/2 hr to my total idle time.

Great point! i feel the same way about actual playing time. I like to keep track of just exactly how "sick" I actually am.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Octagon on 2007-03-20 12:42 ]</font>

Itchee
Mar 20, 2007, 02:37 PM
If I stood around all day doing nothing...then Id have to change my character's name to "Billy Idle".

Yuk, yuk, yuk...

SuperRygar
Mar 20, 2007, 02:39 PM
maybe all us idle'ers are just contestants in American Idle

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SuperRygar on 2007-03-20 12:43 ]</font>

SuperRygar
Mar 20, 2007, 02:40 PM
haha uh...ya

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SuperRygar on 2007-03-20 12:42 ]</font>

Itchee
Mar 20, 2007, 02:43 PM
Fun with puns.

SuperRygar
Mar 20, 2007, 02:45 PM
what's a pun?

Itchee
Mar 20, 2007, 02:57 PM
On 2007-03-20 12:45, SuperRygar wrote:
what's a pun?

Pun [puhn]
-noun, verb. (punned, punning)

-noun
1. the humorous use of a word or phrase so as to emphasize or suggest its different meanings or applications, or the use of words that are alike or nearly alike in sound but different in meaning; a play on words.
2. the word or phrase used in this way.

–verb (used without object)
3. to make puns.

ThEoRy
Mar 20, 2007, 03:03 PM
Big Pun R.I.P.

Akaimizu
Mar 20, 2007, 03:03 PM
Not to be confused with Parody........

------------------
Tynselle's Guntecher - Playground of SEED destruction.

GT 1: "I will use S Rank Twin handguns just because I can."
GT 2: "I will flip a coin to decide which handgun to waste this monster with first, and then just use em both anyway."
GT 3: "I will use TWO handguns......when one would do just fine!!"
GT 1: "I'm a guntecher."
GT 2: "I'm a guntecher."
GT 3: "I'm a guntecher and I love my job."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-03-20 13:03 ]</font>

SuperRygar
Mar 20, 2007, 03:18 PM
On 2007-03-20 12:57, Itchee wrote:

what's a pun?

Pun [puhn]

-noun
1. the humorous use of a word or phrase so as to emphasize or suggest its different meanings or applications, or the use of words that are alike or nearly alike in sound but different in meaning; a play on words.

3. to make puns.

now look up sarcasim

Itchee
Mar 20, 2007, 03:26 PM
On 2007-03-20 13:18, SuperRygar wrote:

On 2007-03-20 12:57, Itchee wrote:

what's a pun?

Pun [puhn]

-noun

3. to make puns.

now look up sarcasim

1. Spell check.
2. I cant distinguish between sarcasm and actual questions in text format.
3. Let's not be a dick.

Akaimizu
Mar 20, 2007, 03:28 PM
And I thought it was simply someone playing along with a joke. <.<

SuperRygar
Mar 20, 2007, 03:29 PM
hahah >.< what's speel check?

Itchee
Mar 20, 2007, 03:34 PM
On 2007-03-20 13:29, SuperRygar wrote:
hahah >.< what's speel check?

If you're attempting to piss me off, you're doing a good job. If not, I would quit while you're ahead.