PDA

View Full Version : New Simpsons mediocre at best?

MrNomad
Mar 18, 2007, 10:35 PM
Did anyone see the new simpsons on tonight? Who here likes the new simpsons? To me, they seemed too unoriginal, like now a lot of their jokes dont feel as great as previous ones IMO. What about you all?

RedBoxHunter
Mar 18, 2007, 11:16 PM
The one tonight wasn't new, but it was recent. And yes The Simpsons and Family Guy both such now even though they used to be good.

Jehosaphaty
Mar 19, 2007, 12:05 AM
The Simpsons have suffered from being miserable for the past couple seasons; Family Guy hasn't fared much better. Very blagh tasting.

MrNomad
Mar 19, 2007, 12:12 AM
The Simpsons movie doesnt look too very good to me either =/

DurakkenX
Mar 19, 2007, 10:29 AM
mainly cuz they are the originators of most of things you see... and using the same premise for 15+ years is hard.... they use a lot of the same jokes or similiar jokes which were funny but now they aren't because you compare them to older episodes... and not to mention southpark has taken most everything to the extreme so familyguy and simpsons looks to just be watered down versions of them even though they are both great in their own right.

LordAwsome
Mar 19, 2007, 04:10 PM
i have not really been injto the simpsons for quite awhile now and the new family guys arnt to great eaither. i will go see the simpsons movie because it is required viewing, hopfully i wont be to disapointed. all shows eventually become stale thats why futurama is so great, it didnt have a chance to get stale, and anyone who says it is a lesser version of the simpsons has no idea what there talking about. ive been hoping they end the simpsons for years, but it cant be stopped. also end aqua teen before the same thing happens to it

Allos
Mar 19, 2007, 06:32 PM
On 2007-03-19 14:10, LordAwsome wrote:
also end aqua teen before the same thing happens to it

I think that depends on the success of the ATHF movie, but the show in general doesn't really show signs of slowing or losing its humor.

The Simpsons on the other hand has fallen from grace, and Family Guy is now purely reference based. Not that the references can't be funny, but the new episodes don't hold a candle to the old ones.

Jive18
Mar 19, 2007, 08:42 PM
Certainly less than mediocre. I started noticing this about a couple of years ago and really haven't watched Simpsons since then. I can't really vouch for Family Guy, seeing as I only watch it when a friend brings one of the dvd's to a get-together.

PJ
Mar 19, 2007, 08:49 PM
On 2007-03-19 16:32, Allos wrote:
and Family Guy is now purely reference based. Not that the references can't be funny, but the new episodes don't hold a candle to the old ones.

The only reasons I find the new Family Guy episodes funnier is because I've SEEN the other ones a million times over.

Frankly, I don't think Family Guy is actually getting worse. They have a great art with repeating/repetitive jokes (With the only time I think they messed up was with Stewie going, "Mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy, mom, mom, mom, mom, momma, momma, momma, momma etc." That was just WAY too long).

DraginHikari
Mar 21, 2007, 10:33 AM
The simpsons has been around for a very long time, nothing good last forever, evenually things draw out and become over used.

foamcup
Mar 21, 2007, 02:49 PM
The Simpsons have been ghey for a while now, as for the movie being required viewing, yeah, fuck that, I'm not gonna see that crap. As for Family Guy, it should never have been brought back. Let us keep our good memories of the old episodes without fouling it up with new crap. I watched it the other night, and it was retarded. And finally, that comment about ATHF not losing it's humor is entirely true. It never had any to begin with, so it can't lose it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Allos
Mar 21, 2007, 06:50 PM
On 2007-03-19 18:49, PJ wrote:

On 2007-03-19 16:32, Allos wrote:
and Family Guy is now purely reference based. Not that the references can't be funny, but the new episodes don't hold a candle to the old ones.

The only reasons I find the new Family Guy episodes funnier is because I've SEEN the other ones a million times over.

Frankly, I don't think Family Guy is actually getting worse. They have a great art with repeating/repetitive jokes (With the only time I think they messed up was with Stewie going, "Mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy, mom, mom, mom, mom, momma, momma, momma, momma etc." That was just WAY too long).

I agree with that, but I hate how the new episodes keep bringing back old, one-joke characters. Ollie Williams was hilarious in his debut. Eighty thousand new episodes later, it's just not funny. Same goes with the Greased-Up-Deaf-Guy. And as for the creepy old pedophile...funny once or twice a season...now they use him whenever they don't have any new ideas.

PJ
Mar 21, 2007, 07:21 PM
I knew right away you were gonna bring up the creepy dude as I started reading. You're right, I'm sick of him too.

I never get tired of Ollie Williams though... XD

DikkyRay
Mar 21, 2007, 07:24 PM
On 2007-03-21 17:21, PJ wrote:
I knew right away you were gonna bring up the creepy dude as I started reading. You're right, I'm sick of him too.

I never get tired of Ollie Williams though... XD

HE GONNA STAR IN ANOTHER EPISODE

DurakkenX
Mar 22, 2007, 08:06 AM
ATHF is like not funny at all...i watch it when there is nothing else on...They lose to almost everything else i would watch at that time

Simpsons...i don't watch and haven't watched for roughly 4 years now simply because i can never remember its on which means it's not important to me to watch which means it's not all that great

Family Guy is funny, but they sometimes do things too much...like where peter falls and holds his knee for like 5 minutes...yeah lame.

South Park is just so wrong it's funny in most cases ^.^

LordAwsome
Mar 23, 2007, 07:24 PM
shake is a god among cartoons

DraginHikari
Mar 26, 2007, 10:39 AM
I don't like South Park, so much of it is fairly tasteless humor on an entirely different level even compared to the Simpsons... I take Family Guy over South Park.

babyeatinbob
Mar 26, 2007, 07:37 PM
The new South Park eps are going the same way. 1st ep this season with Stan's dad and the n-word with Cartman fighting a midget=funny. 2nd ep with Butters being bisexual=funny premise, but not much else was entertaining. 3rd ep with lice story=OMFG HORRIBLE. Last week's ep didnt have a single funny thing about it. The whole thing was just an awful idea. Anyone remember the Oprah and Towlie episode. This one is worse.

hollowtip
Mar 26, 2007, 11:51 PM
On 2007-03-26 08:39, DraginHikari wrote:
I don't like South Park, so much of it is fairly tasteless humor on an entirely different level even compared to the Simpsons... I take Family Guy over South Park.

The only problem I have with South Park is the more extreme toilet humor. The immature references to feces (whether it's being just mentioned in a joke or actually being displayed gratuitously) does hurt some of the shows credibility.

With that being said, South Park is the only animated series I follow with each and every episode. Yeah they do go overboard sometimes, but the overall wit and subtle messages relating to American culture seems to go unappreciated by a lot of people. It's a lot deeper than most people realize because they get caught up in the language and extreme nature of the charaters. In defense of some of the tasteless humor, I think Matt Stone and Trey Parker try to push their first amendment rights as far as they can. They do step over the line on occasion, but at least they define where that line is. I'm an avid supporter of non-censorship in any medium, and South Park is a perfect example of what free speech is about. Being able to say what you want even if it's unacceptable by the government AND from a social standpoint.

I started watching the show religiously about a year ago, and find Family Guy a lot less entertaining now.

Allos
Mar 27, 2007, 02:48 PM
On 2007-03-26 21:51, hollowtip wrote

With that being said, South Park is the only animated series I follow with each and every episode. Yeah they do go overboard sometimes, but the overall wit and subtle messages relating to American culture seems to go unappreciated by a lot of people. It's a lot deeper than most people realize because they get caught up in the language and extreme nature of the charaters. In defense of some of the tasteless humor, I think Matt Stone and Trey Parker try to push their first amendment rights as far as they can. They do step over the line on occasion, but at least they define where that line is. I'm an avid supporter of non-censorship in any medium, and South Park is a perfect example of what free speech is about. Being able to say what you want even if it's unacceptable by the government AND from a social standpoint.

Totally agree, and I honestly think Trey Parker and Matt Stone write one of the smartest shows on television, that is if you look past the toilet humor.

BogusKun
Mar 29, 2007, 08:54 AM
I've only been able to hang on to the older episodes of Simpsons myself. Since I been deployed to Iraq, I have not had much of a chance to even see any footage of Simspson. As for Family Guy, I would put the show with Simpsons. I think my priority to actually watch the show or any TV has went down the drain, with me focusing on other activities (and XBOX Live when I get home in 2 weeks)