PDA

View Full Version : Gay Gay Gay

PJ
Mar 23, 2007, 09:36 PM
Ghey, Ghay, or even straight up gay.

Get a vocabulary if you're gonna call something bad, or not to your liking, or terrible, or whatever.

"Hey, look at what happened over there that may be displeasing to your tastes!"
"OMG that's so gay!"

Knock it off.

Point: Gay is NOT a synonym for bad, but you got the idea.

DonRoyale
Mar 23, 2007, 09:42 PM
Uhh...Guilty

*braces pour impact*

Maybe, for some people, it stems from a dislike of gays? (It isn't for me, but I use gay in context as a synonym to bad, even though it isn't...people get it.)

I'll also use 'fucked up', 'retarted', 'bullshit', or 'catwaffles'.

Shit, I swear too much. XD

Jive18
Mar 23, 2007, 09:52 PM
Most people who use "gay" to show dislike probably disregarded its true definition a long time ago (as in it has literally taken on new meaning in many persons' vocabularies).

Regardless, I do agree that people need to find a new way to express frustration, etc., that does not require the use of the word.

DikkyRay
Mar 23, 2007, 10:35 PM
Yea i agree.... I say taht all the time. Sorry PJ.
ctually not PJ, but everyone...its just that i have been using that since i was little, kinda like i was raised tolerant of using that word....

Siertes
Mar 23, 2007, 10:45 PM
I use it as a synonym for bad too, simply out of habit. It's not something I care to change since I rarely use it in everyday conversation.

Obscenity
Mar 23, 2007, 10:47 PM
I don't see why using "gay" in this context is any worse than using any other word in the same context.

FOAtHeart
Mar 23, 2007, 10:49 PM
I think people who say that their use of "gay" in that fashion isn't based in some sort of dislike for gay people should really look at themselves and see if it is true.

People are so quick to put their defenses up ("No, but really, I'm fine with gay people") you really wonder if they're just affecting that sort of attitude to look like better people than they are.

Anyway as a gay person I find it hard to have a sense of humor about people using "gay" in some pejorative fashion, and if these people went through the same trouble that gay people go through on a daily basis, they probably wouldn't either.

astuarlen
Mar 24, 2007, 12:03 AM
I have to say I think it's pretty bogus that some people can't (be bothered) to stop using "gay" as a negative, whether directed at a person, situation, thing, or whatever. Maybe you say you've divorced the two meanings, so when you use it as a pejorative you're making no connection to homosexuality. Maybe you're even speaking truthfully for yourself. But, I don't think the language as a whole reflects this, and I therefore believe the anti-gay stink still hangs about this adjective. Thus, the fact that you can't be arsed to change one tiny portion of your vocabulary in respect of others--well, it certainly says a lot to me about your attitude. Much as it pains me, I must admit I used to use "gay" as a complaint many years ago, but once I finally got it through my old skull bone that that was unacceptable, immature, and disrespectful, I made a conscious effort to stop. And I probably get on some people's nerves when I call them out on their own use (though I've only run into a few people at college who do this, thank God). Moral of the story? Make the effort, folks; if you can learn a new word, you can also learn to replace one in certain contexts.

DurakkenX
Mar 24, 2007, 12:08 AM
I don't think it's gay to be gay, but rather that it's gay to think that being gay is something gay or that gay is feminine. In fact most men throughout history were gay, including some of the most manliest men. So in short. stop being gay about being gay and stop being gay about using the word in a gay way, ya gay bastards. And I say that with my sincerest of compassion to everyone ^.^ It's not your fault your gay...

The way you translate the previous paragraphs shows your own outlooks on life...not mine.

Siertes
Mar 24, 2007, 12:35 AM
On 2007-03-23 22:03, astuarlen wrote:
I have to say I think it's pretty bogus that some people can't (be bothered) to stop using "gay" as a negative, whether directed at a person, situation, thing, or whatever. Maybe you say you've divorced the two meanings, so when you use it as a pejorative you're making no connection to homosexuality. Maybe you're even speaking truthfully for yourself. But, I don't think the language as a whole reflects this, and I therefore believe the anti-gay stink still hangs about this adjective. Thus, the fact that you can't be arsed to change one tiny portion of your vocabulary in respect of others--well, it certainly says a lot to me about your attitude. Much as it pains me, I must admit I used to use "gay" as a complaint many years ago, but once I finally got it through my old skull bone that that was unacceptable, immature, and disrespectful, I made a conscious effort to stop. And I probably get on some people's nerves when I call them out on their own use (though I've only run into a few people at college who do this, thank God). Moral of the story? Make the effort, folks; if you can learn a new word, you can also learn to replace one in certain contexts.

I don't believe it is unacceptable or even a negative thing to use gay to express dislike. If people have integrated that word into their vocab then oh well. It has probably taken on a whole new meaning in their minds, so changing it would seem pointless to them. All to satisfy people who are easily offended? Get over it. People will always be anti-gay, anti-black, anti-*insert absolutely anything here*. The hate will always be there even if the word isn't. If you want to hide from it, become a hermit or die.

Solstis
Mar 24, 2007, 02:08 AM
Should I start making fun of nerdy, white, pale adolescent boys now or later? All "stop using Gay" threads usually start off with the OP flustered, a few people agreeing, then some snide comments, then the rational argument, then the jackass social darwinists, and then Skorpius will randomly appear, killing everyone.

(in case anyone gets confused, I agree with PJ/FO/ASTARHEN)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2007-03-24 00:10 ]</font>

Sinue_v2
Mar 24, 2007, 03:36 AM
Gay does not have a singular usage. Gay, as a word, has many offical and slang uses - three of which being; Joyfullness, Homosexuality, Lame.

To say that "Gay" when used as a negative response is a bash against homosexuals, is like saying that calling a homosexual gay is a bash against overly happy people.

While there always will be people out there who WILL use it in the context of bashing homosexuals (weither conciously or subconciously), by and large the slang for the word isn't a bash in that context.. or at least it's quickly moving away from being a bash.

Ever get offended by the use of the phrase "Jerry Rigged"? You do realize that it's a prejudice racial slur. Or at least.. it was used as a racial slur towards the end of WWII and brought into popular use. Today it doesn't hold the same meaning, (except to perhaps old WWII veterans) when used in the greater english speaking populace. Same deal with "Gay".

Oh, and by the way - speaking of increased vocabluaries, how about people start using (properly) the word "Niggardly" more often? Somewhat of an opposite scenario from your proposing with "Gay" since "Niggardly" has absolutely NO entomological connection with the racial slur it resembles. (It originates from the scandinavian word Hnøgger I believe... It means stingy or avarcious.) However, I guantee that it you use it more in your daily speah you will be branded a racist and offend nearly everyone you meet.

In fact most men throughout history were gay, including some of the most manliest men.

Enjoyed the movie 300?

The Spartans were gay

... well, bisexual technically... but you get the idea

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-03-24 02:08 ]</font>

DurakkenX
Mar 24, 2007, 06:06 AM
Actually "nigger" is only racist, because people are uneducated...both those that use it and those are offended by it. Most slaves came from Nigeria which simply evolved into the word "Nigger" because most slave owners didn't care where the person came from anymore or were lied to about where they came from. It's actually the same as calling someone who is white "English" but there is no outcry on that v.v Then there is the fact that saying black is ok, but Negro is not, when the two mean exactly the same thing and nigger is a more correct description.

the most offensive word in common use today is actually 'caucasian' which has no true roots and is a completely made up word by scientists to specifically describe europeans and to erase much of it's cultural identity so that they could have a unified culture of sorts. It is close to the same root as mongoloid and negroid, both of which have been out moded as racist terms so much so that they aren't used.

As far as "gay" having anything to do with "gay bashing." I and just about any other person that uses the word don't connect it with being gay at all, but it was originally used as gay bashing. But then again gays screwed just about everyone on the fact that think of all the words that they decided to use "gay", "queer", and "faggot". All of these were said to be ok by one of the stupid gay movements back when this massive wave of idiocy came about. Gay means happiness and because of the fact that they chose it as a word to mean them I can no longer use it in my vocabulary to shout "I'm gay" or "You must be really gay today" and not to mention all those old shows and writing that use the word and now many people just don't get it because of the broken usage. the same thing with Queer which is to mean odd or strange. For these words they have tarnished english language and they can no longer be used properly. As far a faggot...well that's a different story that implies a dual meaning in and of itself and most people don't even know the origin of the word to understand why it's bad and/or good. Faggot originally meant burning wood or more specifically a piece of burning wood when it is in a group in a circle to burn someone, whether alive or dead and most often alive when the term is used. This term was then used when cigarettes came on the seen because cigarettes are "burning sticks". This got shortened to fag simply out of laziness. So it implies both the killing or end of a persons life as well as sucking on a stick which constitutes an oral fetish which implies blowjobs which to most people are a great thing. In fact I'd be willing to bet that if the word gained popularity in another form it would be used to describe a woman who likes to give felatio or the act itself.

more over this brings me to the argument of "you should learn a new word cuz it offends me that you use the word in common use" which i have to say, "you should not ruin my language with your limiting of meaning as meaning means of a word is the thing that makes english so beautiful a language"

Oh and another thing...

Saying Gay = Lame proves that it's dissociative as most don't even know what Lame means and nor do they know or care where it originated.

DurakkenX
Mar 24, 2007, 06:21 AM
On 2007-03-24 01:36, Sinue_v2 wrote:

In fact most men throughout history were gay, including some of the most manliest men.

Enjoyed the movie 300?

The Spartans were gay

... well, bisexual technically... but you get the idea

Until fairly recently men participated in social homosexuality. You could say that that the new trend of gay bashing is most likely due to the feminist movement and the feminizing of men.

The current hatred has roots in things that most don't know about. Incest which is generally considered wrong is actually very natural and a lot took part in it till the royal family which did it more start to become more and more retarded. in other words, short, weak body, dumb, etc. this caused them to pass a law and now we consider it immoral without reason true reason. Inbreeding does result in weaker genetics of many decades, but a few times in a century isn't really bad.

Just about any "great man" in history outside of fairly modern history was no doubt gay...

Alexander the great
Julius Caesar
Pythagoras
Socrates
Plato
Aristotle

just to name a few.

Sinue_v2
Mar 24, 2007, 08:11 AM
Lame means "Disabled from movement", or the like. If you walk with a limp because of a club foot or a sprained ankle, you're lame. Lame in the context of "something sucking" is slang.

As far as homosexuality's "recent" persecution - I would argue that it generally traces it's roots back to judism and early catholicism .. and that religeon is largely the factor for homosexuality becoming taboo. Judism and Catholicism are middle eastern religeons, and for a long time the middle east was under Roman rule. The romans were notorious for engaging in social homosexuality, and so - homosexuality was offered up as an affront to god as a means of political agenda. It further demonised the Romans and helped rally the people against them. As Jeudism and Catholicism grew into major world-wide religeons, the doctrine stayed and shaped public attitude towards homosexuality. One place you do NOT see homosexuality being demonised until fairly recently, are the far eastern countries like Japan and China. Much like the spartans, the Samurai openly engaged in same-sex relationships as well. Perhaps I'm wrong, but it wasn't until the influx of western culture and western religeons that homosexuality became somewhat taboo over there as well. Though even to this day they are (I think) far more tolerant and understanding of differing sexualities.

Just about any "great man" in history outside of fairly modern history was no doubt gay...

I wouldn't quite go that far. However, there are far more great men and women throughout history who were homo-or-bi sexual than most people realize.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-03-24 07:37 ]</font>

Skorpius
Mar 24, 2007, 08:20 AM
Jesus Christ, stop crying over words and grow the fuck up.

PJ
Mar 24, 2007, 08:38 AM
Hey, Solstis was right http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Obscenity
Mar 24, 2007, 08:39 AM
On 2007-03-24 06:11, Sinue_v2 wrote:
Lame means "Disabled from movement", or the like. If you walk with a limp because of a club foot or a sprained ankle, you're lame. Lame in the context of "something sucking" is slang.

So what are you saying? That people should stop using "lame" in a context that conveys negativity, or the cripples will bitch? Can't say "gay". The homosexuals will get offended. Can't say "retarded". Corky will shed a tear. With all the things wrong in this world, concerning yourself with politically correct terminology just seems like petty nitpicking bullshit to me. Go save an endangered species. Volunteer at a soup kitchen. Clean up the environment. Educate kids about safe sex. Wrap your head around something that actually matters.

Sinue_v2
Mar 24, 2007, 09:04 AM
Wha? No... that's not what I was getting at at all. Durakken simply stated that many people who use the word "Lame" these days do not know it's actual meaning. I simply gave a definition for it. If your movement is crippled, then you are lame. That's not an insult, that's fact. But many would read that statement as a bash against crippled people.

What we're getting at is that slang terminology has become so abundant that many fail to distinguish the difference between the slang definition and the actual meaning of the words. They mix the two up, and often become upset or offended. Such as like with the word gay, which has an actual definition, but also multiple slang defintions.

I think it's silly to complain about the slang usage of a word that is utter slang to begin with.

Also as a side note: I've been reading Dante's Divine Comedy recently. It's interesting that he doesn't whole-heartedly condemn homosexuality. While it is punished in the seventh circle of hell as a sin against god and nature - it's also a redemeable sin in purgetory, as well as one of the least offensive to god. The key, it seems, to be moderation. Homosexuality, when committed not in excess in the act of love according to Dante, isn't a big deal in god's eyes.

In fact, Dante's guide through Purgetory and Hell (Virgil) resides in the plane of Limbo (reserved for those who lead lives pleasing to god, but did not believe in him or Jesus Christ. They recieve no punishment, yet no paradice either.. just emptyness). Virgil, as a historical figure, was a known homosexual. (He did not commit sodomy in excess or for lust, which would have granted him a place in purgetory except for the fact that he didn't believe in God/Christ)

Actually "nigger" is only racist, because people are uneducated...both those that use it and those are offended by it. Most slaves came from Nigeria which simply evolved into the word "Nigger" because most slave owners didn't care where the person came from anymore or were lied to about where they came from. It's actually the same as calling someone who is white "English" but there is no outcry on that

That would only be accurate if your were calling someone from Nigeria a "Nigger". Almost none of the african american/european/ect citizens these days come from Nigeria. It was very quickly adopted as a racial slur as well. To call a black man on the street today a "Nigger" would be completely inaccruate and offencive, because it lost it's "original" meaning after the first generation immigrants from Nigeria passed away. The only thing left now, really, IS the racial slur.

I'm American, but my family originated from Poland/Germany. It would be roughly equivilent to walking up to me on the street and calling me a Kraut. (Which I would probably take offence to, expecially since like many decendants of immigrants, I've never been to the country of my family's origin - not to mention that I hate Sauerkraut.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-03-24 07:20 ]</font>

Obscenity
Mar 24, 2007, 09:06 AM
Sinue, I didn't mean you in particular with my response. You just happened to be quoted. =D

Sinue_v2
Mar 24, 2007, 09:20 AM
Oh ok.

Nai_Calus
Mar 24, 2007, 11:09 AM
I have 1337 powers of 'Summon Skorpius'.

Solstis
Mar 24, 2007, 12:29 PM
Hay! It's Skorp!

Anyway, Gyp is also a pretty racially charged word.

hollowtip
Mar 24, 2007, 08:33 PM
Your post is gay PJ

Shiro_Ryuu
Mar 24, 2007, 10:52 PM
I used to say that as a way of saying tha tsomething is bad, but not anymore. Now I just say "that sux" or something like that.

Axispoint
Mar 25, 2007, 07:32 AM
If I do say it, it's because I'm so mad I'm not thinking. We have a guy at work that's gay, so I try to be respectful of that, but when I'm really mad, I will just go off. In fact, saying gay is the only word I remember saying a week ago Saturday, and I said a lot more then that. Though I am getting to where I don't give a damn about most of the people on my shift, as all they do is start shit with each other, squabble, and gossip about things that aren't their business. It does make me really consider why I bother being nice to them.

Daikarin
Mar 28, 2007, 05:21 AM
Let's summon Freud.

-Shimarisu-
Mar 28, 2007, 07:06 AM
Beh I started using it in an ironic fashion, hung out with gays and bisexuals on the internet who USED IT ALL THE DAMN TIME, and now I can't stop.

I'm not aware if it irritates the only gay friend I have who DOESN'T use it, and meh. I'm not sure I care. Words are just words. I'm bisexual myself anyway, though yeah I prefer guys if only for the fact that women are generally really fucking annoying. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

And yeah I'm well aware that I am too.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Shimarisu- on 2007-03-28 05:07 ]</font>

omegapirate2k
Mar 28, 2007, 08:14 AM
Nobody can say they OWN that word, its a word, anybody can (and WILL) use it. The difference is how its meant, if your purposely using it to harm/mock people, then yes, that's bad, but why should it matter if it's not intended to hurt?

Sometimes getting offended too easily is just as bad as being offensive, in my opinion.

navci
Mar 28, 2007, 02:11 PM
On 2007-03-24 06:38, PJ wrote:
Hey, Solstis was right http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Hahaha. XD

I been reading some old children's literature lately. Like, Peter Pan and such. Everytime people were described as a "gay bunch" "gay crowd" "very gay friends", I can't help but chuckle.

On the flip side I guess this is kinda funny.

Jehosaphaty
Mar 28, 2007, 02:16 PM
On 2007-03-24 00:08, Solstis wrote:
Should I start making fun of nerdy, white, pale adolescent boys now or later? All "stop using Gay" threads usually start off with the OP flustered, a few people agreeing, then some snide comments, then the rational argument, then the jackass social darwinists, and then Skorpius will randomly appear, killing everyone.

(in case anyone gets confused, I agree with PJ/FO/ASTARHEN)

this statement is made of various shades of win.

Tengoku
Mar 28, 2007, 06:31 PM
I don't use the word on message boards, mostly because some people think sticks and stones aren't the only things that can hurt them. Grow up, you nancies (no offence to anyone actually named Nancy) and grow a pair. So, I'm careful because some people have the skin of a dried onion, aka, skin so thin you can read newsprint through it. Also commonly referred to a "wussies", although "weenie" and "over-sensitive girl" works as well.

Notice how these are all words meant to insult straight men? Interesting thing, no? Think about it. Calling something "ghay" never affects gay men, only straight men and the sensitivity police, who, by the way, are never, ever, considered manly.

Still gonna use the word "ghay" though. Don't care what people think about it. If it offends you, then the issue isn't me, it's the fact that you butted into my conversation and heard something you don't like. Waah. Stop eavesdropping, jerkface.

Also, life is hard, so buy a helmet. If life is too hard for you, I recommend sucide. Quit wasting my air.

/mostly snark and sarcasm, but like I give a fuck what nancy-boy whiners think

Alisha
Mar 29, 2007, 07:29 AM
call something gay in front of me and you will likely get a swift kick to the balls. i have almost zero tolerance for it.

BogusKun
Mar 29, 2007, 09:02 AM
I use GAY for STUPID because I rather not use a curse word like phuk shyt dyck or tyts. see... I got a lil class.

My mom told me that saying the curse word like the F word can send you to hell... so I lived in fear and created my own extensive vocabulary, because then again, I don't want to get laughed at for that shizzle...

...and I got like 2 Marines who laugh at me already cuz I choose to use shizzle.

DurakkenX
Mar 29, 2007, 09:24 AM
shiro, some people are offended by the word "suck" so you shouldn't say it ^.^

alisha, my fist is quicker than your foot...and i believe in equality. You touch or threaten to hit me I will destroy you reguardless of your gender, sexual disposition, or place in society. Those who can solve their problems through violence have chosen their language...it's only right to communicate with them in it.

Jehosaphaty
Mar 29, 2007, 10:42 AM
On 2007-03-29 07:24, DurakkenX wrote:
alisha, my fist is quicker than your foot...and i believe in equality. You touch or threaten to hit me I will destroy you reguardless of your gender, sexual disposition, or place in society. Those who can solve their problems through violence have chosen their language...it's only right to communicate with them in it.

Ohh crap; we have ourselves a tough guy. (My lightsaber +22 is still probably quicker than your fist, but oh well.) This argument has been rehashed so many times I fail to see the fresh perspectives other than maybe take Skorp's post to heart.

Tiyr
Mar 29, 2007, 11:12 AM
Not jumping into this horrid mess but just a quick historical correction--the demonization of homosexuality corresponded to the rise of Christianity, at least in Europe. It's recent in the grand scheme of things, but it many hundreds of years old.

And if you can't see why someone would get annoyed with you using gay as a pejorative, then you probably can't see why people get pissed over people using gyp, chinky, or jewish (yeah, someone actually said that) as pejoratives either. When you say that the meaning's become divorced from homosexuality, be aware that a lot of these are the same jackasses people deal with at school who say crap like "Dude, what're you, a fuckin' queer?" Given rampant homophobia, especially among adolescent males, it's pretty disingenuous to say that it's completely divorced. That, or you're willfully oblivious.

DurakkenX
Mar 29, 2007, 11:14 AM
On 2007-03-29 08:42, Jehosaphaty wrote:
Ohh crap; we have ourselves a tough guy. (My lightsaber +22 is still probably quicker than your fist, but oh well.) This argument has been rehashed so many times I fail to see the fresh perspectives other than maybe take Skorp's post to heart.

I'm not a tough guy... especially with the meaning you are giving it. I'm the most amiable guy you'll peolly ever meet. I just believe if you are going to claim equality for all you should accept it fully. Don't want it for some things and not for others.

Sinue_v2
Mar 29, 2007, 02:10 PM
call something gay in front of me and you will likely get a swift kick to the balls. i have almost zero tolerance for it.

And when do we start training for that?[/Steve Bushemi voice]

sorry for the bad movie quote... it just reminded me of that scene for some reason

Garroway
Mar 29, 2007, 04:03 PM
I was hoping to put my literary foot in several of your asses but Sinue_v2's comments have been worded with more elegance than I can muster right now, so I'm going to cop out with a "me too, what he said."

-Shimarisu-
Mar 29, 2007, 04:24 PM
On 2007-03-29 05:29, Alisha wrote:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j104/shirubania/sexy4.jpg?t=1175203415

PJ
Mar 29, 2007, 04:40 PM
On 2007-03-29 09:14, DurakkenX wrote:

On 2007-03-29 08:42, Jehosaphaty wrote:

I'm not a tough guy... especially with the meaning you are giving it. I'm the most amiable guy you'll peolly ever meet. I just believe if you are going to claim equality for all you should accept it fully. Don't want it for some things and not for others.

Wow, normally I don't agree with Durakken, but yeah, I totally agree with this.

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 29, 2007, 05:52 PM
On 2007-03-24 07:04, Sinue_v2 wrote:

Actually "nigger" is only racist, because people are uneducated...both those that use it and those are offended by it. Most slaves came from Nigeria which simply evolved into the word "Nigger" because most slave owners didn't care where the person came from anymore or were lied to about where they came from. It's actually the same as calling someone who is white "English" but there is no outcry on that

That would only be accurate if your were calling someone from Nigeria a "Nigger". Almost none of the african american/european/ect citizens these days come from Nigeria. It was very quickly adopted as a racial slur as well. To call a black man on the street today a "Nigger" would be completely inaccruate and offencive, because it lost it's "original" meaning after the first generation immigrants from Nigeria passed away. The only thing left now, really, IS the racial slur.

In fact, the word "Nigger" comes from a lazy Southern accent applied to the word, "Negro" (which comes out to something like "Niggra", which mutates easily into "Nigger"). Taken from the context in which Southerners used to use the term "Negro", to call someone a "Nigger" is literally to call them a black slave, and by extension, only two-fifths of a man. It has nothing to do with the nation of Niger, and the words resemble each other in spelling, only; only the N and the R retain the same sound in both.

The use of the word "gay" as a term for something you don't like originates from the flamboyant stereotype that referred to homosexual men primarily in the late 1980's and 1990's, extending into the early 2000's. To use the term "gay" in this way, is to relate the subject to homosexual men in that context; as though it were something that an obnoxiously flamboyant gay man would embrace and hold dear in his life. The stereotype itself comes from a reputation of gay men wearing lots of pink, speaking with lisps, having less physical strength and tolerance for pain, sweat, dirt, callous disconnectedness and generally gross things than even the stereotypical woman. It is far from being a rule, as with all stereotypes; but while it may be an exaggeration, it does not exist without inspiration. The stereotype has been perpetuated by a nagging worry among many heterosexual men that such a homosexual man will proposition him, which could lead to rumors that he, himself, is such a homosexual man as the stereotype. In addition to bringing him shame and possibly even displacement from his friends, this as well disinclines women from pursuing his interests.

Today, the word used in that context still holds the same essence; it describes the subject as having a "limp-wristed" quality that many people find displeasing, and sometimes even threatening.

Personally, I prefer using the term "flamboyant" to the term, "gay", as the word "flamboyant" conveys the precise quality being referred to, without any unnecessary connotations regarding one's sexuality. "Flamboyant" is also the root of the term "flaming" as it is used to describe a homosexual that broadcasts his sexual orientation by his behavior.

Concerning gay men throughout history... Given that any human existing in a civilization where history is kept track of, upon birth has roughly the same odds of becoming an important figure in history as anyone else born at a comparable time, I submit that the number of homosexuals amongst our "Great Men of History" probably adheres rather closely to the ratio of homosexual men to heterosexual men, today. That is to say, if 2% of the world's men are gay, then chances are that 2% of history's Great Men were also gay. The problem with this yardstick we're using, though, is that we didn't really have terms like "gay" or "homosexual" throughout most of history. Before, say, the 1300s or so, a man's sexuality was of very little consequence, and frankly, a man's choice of where to insert his penis was factored largely by his mood and what he believed he could get away with. Even after that point, a man's sexual orientation wasn't terribly important and was only really noticed between dignitaries and noble families. Serfs didn't have the "luxury" of recognizing and acting upon sexual orientations-- men married women and vice versa because, men can't have children with men, nor can women have children with women, and that has undesirable implications. Homosexuality was therefore limited to people who didn't invest their time and lives in struggling to survive-- another child is another pair of hands to work, after all.

By the early 1900's, in the United States at least, homosexuality was regarded as a mental disorder, and gay men were often placed under psychiatric supervision, which in turn lead to Gay Rights movements, starting somewhere around the 1960's. This finally lead to the labels we now apply to people of specific sexual orientations. Which is stupid, because this sort of thing implies that you can judge a person's merit by lumping him into a group that has very little to do with their quality as a person. It results in persecution and fails to bring about anything productive. People are generally more complex than a single word can describe.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HUnewearl_Meira on 2007-03-29 16:02 ]</font>

-Shimarisu-
Mar 29, 2007, 06:25 PM
Maybe if people stopped using their sexual orientation as a point of pride they could have less hangups, nobody who matters gives a shit what you do in the bedroom, and those that do don't matter. It's nice to have a good indication who the idiots in life are without having to make any effort to get to know them, and well if you think I'm an idiot for saying "gay" in a silly ironic fashion I cant say it was really worth me knowing you either. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

And there's no point wailing about past history and using it as a cause, I can guarantee you 100% that I'd have been gassed by the nazis if I'd been in that place at that point in time too. At least gay people can look forward to huma rights meaning that if they were ever identifiable in the womb in the FUTURE, abortions of the gay foetus would cause a MASSIVE FUCKING OUTCRY. Whereas people like myself would be aborted without much fucking thought by anyone.

And hey I used to cry about it too but now I don't give a crap.

omegapirate2k
Mar 29, 2007, 07:04 PM
On 2007-03-29 14:24, -Shimarisu- wrote:

So you agree about the hat then?

Tengoku
Mar 29, 2007, 07:16 PM
LOL. Free speech babe. Enjoy the ride to the police station for being stupid and reactionary.

Words only have the power you give them. Something to chew on.

-Shimarisu-
Mar 29, 2007, 08:07 PM
On 2007-03-29 17:04, omegapirate2k wrote:

On 2007-03-29 14:24, -Shimarisu- wrote:

So you agree about the hat then?

I actually designed that character to look as FLAMBOYANTLY, FLAMING gay as was humanly possible.

1. As an exercise in idiot avoidance.
2. As an exercise in idiot ANNOYANCE.
3. Because a char that looks in-your-face gay without all the highly irritating limp wristed behaviour to go with it is actually kinda cute.

omegapirate2k
Mar 29, 2007, 08:11 PM
Nice, I wore that hat for my saint patty's outfit and that was what everybody (including myself) thought about the hat.

Alisha
Mar 30, 2007, 03:09 AM
calling a look or style gay is not the same as calling dragonball Z gay. when you call dragonball z gay you are saying there is something not right about it,and in turn are saying there is something not right about me. to me my sexuality is as much a part of me as my race and as such is something i take pride in. if homosexuality was widely accepted as being normal it wouldnt bother me.

Obscenity
Mar 30, 2007, 07:05 AM
On 2007-03-30 01:09, Alisha wrote:
calling a look or style gay is not the same as calling dragonball Z gay. when you call dragonball z gay you are saying there is something not right about it,and in turn are saying there is something not right about me. to me my sexuality is as much a part of me as my race and as such is something i take pride in. if homosexuality was widely accepted as being normal it wouldnt bother me.

First of all, why do gay people think they've somehow cornered the market on the word "gay"? That it can only be used and applied in ways they approve of, and when it's not, it automatically becomes a derogatory term degrading their sexual preference? It wasn't all that long ago when it merely meant "happy".

Also, why would you take pride in your race or sexuality? You may as well be proud of the fact that you have ten fingers. It's nothing you worked for and accomplished. It required no effort on your part.

And as far as your ball kicking comment further above, do you seriously think that a verbal insult warrants a physical attack? Or that they somehow equate? Ask any man, gay or straight, whether he'd rather be called gay or kicked in the balls. I guarantee it'll be unanimous.

Niered
Mar 30, 2007, 09:08 AM
Why should I even waste breath on a topic this adolescent?

Gahd...oh well.

One of my best freinds was for a good 4 years of her life a lesbian. Never once did she take my using the word gay as being derogatory to her way of life in those 4 years she was, and on top of that she used it as an adjective just as much as I did.

So basically, get the fuck over it. How many times do you or I say "goddamn" a day, and think about the fact that you are trying to send god to hell through verbal abuse?

Answer: You dont.

Which is why I dont take offense to that. Same reason I say my ISP is gay, ghey, gey, or any other goddamn flavor of the word I choose, without actually meaning that I feel its sexual preference should be shunned.

I dont feel that way BTW. Im simply making my point.

Schubalts
Mar 30, 2007, 02:31 PM
On 2007-03-30 07:08, Niered wrote:
gay, ghey, gey, or any other goddamn flavor of the word I choose,

I prefer gei, myself.

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 30, 2007, 02:44 PM
So basically, get the fuck over it. How many times do you or I say "goddamn" a day, and think about the fact that you are trying to send god to hell through verbal abuse?

Actually, "God damn" (which is an incomplete sentence; usually completed with "it") is something of a prayer making a request to God for the damnation of whatever comes after the word "damn"; hence, "it". We tend to fling the phrase about rather carelessly, but if taken for literal meaning, it's actually just about the worst thing you could possibly say about someone. It's one thing to spread rumors about one's sexual preference or the status of Venereal Diseases in one's person (that would merely cause annoyances for a few days, possibly merely a few years), but to express that if you had your way, another person would suffer for eternity... that is a strong statement to make.

BoxerMcBoxe
Mar 30, 2007, 04:05 PM
One of my best freinds was for a good 4 years of her life a lesbian. Never once did she take my using the word gay as being derogatory to her way of life in those 4 years she was, and on top of that she used it as an adjective just as much as I did.

I almost wasn't going to point out she wasn't gay.

Almost.

Edit: I might as well add on that everyone is looking way too fucking deep into this. PJ meant people saying gay as a lack of vocabulary, not to insult gays, because not many homosexuals do get offended by it

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BoxerMcBoxe on 2007-03-30 14:08 ]</font>

-Shimarisu-
Mar 30, 2007, 04:39 PM
I don't have a word for myself other than "bi" and I think it's a stupid word.

Please feel free to call DBZ "bi," and can somebody please make up a word for myself that I can take exceptional pride in?

PLEASE GUYS, I NEED MY WORD.

Leviathan
Mar 30, 2007, 07:14 PM
Here is a conversation i had with someone who claims something is "gay".

me: hey, i like good charlotte. =]

him: what. eww joel [lead singer] is gay.

me: what makes him gay?

him: i dont know.

see I can't even explain to people how they use words incorrectly or else I get labeled a "smartass" or they tell me I am flat-out wrong &that I don't know anything.

Which to me slwoly makes me lose faith in humanity.

Atleast for now. (//_>)

I however do not use "gay" as a derrogatory term for something lame/dumb or stupid, I just simply say its lame.

omegapirate2k
Mar 31, 2007, 04:20 PM
Lets see here:

On 2007-03-30 17:14, Leviatha wrote:
I however do not use "gay" as a derrogatory term for something lame/dumb or stupid, I just simply say its lame.

You DO realize that the word "lame" refers to somebody who cannot use their legs, right?

You might as well call it retarded, too.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: omegapirate2k on 2007-03-31 16:41 ]</font>

DurakkenX
Mar 31, 2007, 04:31 PM
Dude...stop being so matt... I don't like matt people.

omegapirate2k
Mar 31, 2007, 04:49 PM
On 2007-03-31 14:31, DurakkenX wrote:
Dude...stop being so matt... I don't like matt people.

That's SO lame.

DLShAdOw
Mar 31, 2007, 05:06 PM
To all the people who used references to history for gay men of power and such. Almost ALL of those points are completely moot in today's time. The cultures are SO INSANELY DIFFERENT that there is no way in hell that you should even BEGIN to compare them.

For example: During the Roman times gay couples were generally excepted, BUT there was a system. You see there would be a couple of two men, and one would act as the "man" while the other acted as the "female", essentially one gives one receives if you know what I mean. The guy acting as the female was actually looked down upon and the two were not seen as equals. Just a little history lesson there showing that throughout history gays have been treated similarly to how they are still being treated today.

BUT otherwise, historical times and today should not be compared!!

Solstis
Mar 31, 2007, 05:34 PM
Some people have said that gays don't find the word "gay" offensive. Are they some kind of authorities on homosexuals or something?

Closeted gay men are likely to be bothered by the word, sometimes used in any context, so using gay as an insult probably makes some people go home and cry at night. You make people cry, you monsters!

There's a difference between being offended and greatly troubled. Yeah, I'm pretty much over the word now (thanks to Skorpius' one step plan), but there's a good number of homosexuals that have a hard time dealing with their sexuality already.

Shim: pansexual? Bicurious? Queer?

omegapirate2k
Mar 31, 2007, 06:39 PM
On 2007-03-31 15:34, Solstis wrote:

Actually, a good word would be "Heteroflexible"

Like: Hot damn these sweat pants are heteroflexible.

It's such a flexible term you could apply it to pretty much anything.

Sinue_v2
Mar 31, 2007, 09:16 PM
You see there would be a couple of two men, and one would act as the "man" while the other acted as the "female", essentially one gives one receives if you know what I mean.

WTF? No.. that's TODAY'S stereotype. In roman times, it wasn't so much the common population which engaged in homosexuality (although they ocassionally did) it was more of a provice of the rich and powerful. That's why you often see homosexuality refered to in the same breath as hedonistic revelry. Not to mention that there's a list a mile long of "manly men" who both gave and recieved throughout history - most notably the warriors of different cultures such as Gladiators, Spartans, Samurai, ect. No one in those relationships played the subdued and demure "Female" role.

Where you generally see the subdued and "inferior" guy on the bottom is in cases where the lord or head of the house would have sex with his manservants, or a person in a station of power having sex with one of their underlings. Although this attitude wasn't exclusive to homosexual behavior - since heterosexual relations with those "below their station" had the same results.

Closeted gay men are likely to be bothered by the word, sometimes used in any context, so using gay as an insult probably makes some people go home and cry at night. You make people cry, you monsters!

To quothe the immortal Tycho Brahyne: "Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-03-31 19:19 ]</font>

navci
Mar 31, 2007, 09:28 PM
On 2007-03-31 15:34, Solstis wrote:

I like the term pansexual. It seems to be quite flexible and I think it fits well with what I have in mind. But, best thing of course is not to label, which, in our human nature is almost impossible. D:

edit: What Sinue said to history.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: navci on 2007-03-31 19:30 ]</font>

Sinue_v2
Apr 1, 2007, 12:57 AM
Pansexual? Sounds like a term used to describe people who are sexually attracted to little half-man/half-goat people who play flutes.

What about Omnisexual? Guess that wouldn't work so well since it implys beastiality, an well as... well.. everything, which can get pretty sick when you think about it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-03-31 23:04 ]</font>

omegapirate2k
Apr 1, 2007, 01:15 AM
On 2007-03-31 22:57, Sinue_v2 wrote:
What about Omnisexual?

That sounds like somebody who has sex with both plants AND animals.

foamcup
Apr 1, 2007, 07:58 AM
PANSEXUAL: Someone who likes to fuck pans! Make sure you use teflon!

Some good points here, but on the whole, this topic is pretty gay. OH NOES! I said gay, now I'ma be kicked in the balls! But wait! Then you can go to jail for assault!

We have power over words, they don't have power over us.

idon
Apr 1, 2007, 08:25 AM
Homosexuals are gay.

Sinue_v2
Apr 1, 2007, 08:33 AM
We have power over words, they don't have power over us.

Although a bit to the detriment of the position I've taken in the argument, I would have to disagree with your statement. Words have tremendous influence over people, and have been absolutely essencial to shaping human society. Revolutions begin with words, and the violence comes later.

Many cultures to this day believe that words hold immesurable sway over the human soul and the very world itself. In some cultures, it' is highly taboo to speak of someone using their proper name - since speaking their name is believed to give you power over them. Some words are forbidden, for fear of summoning the wrath of who - or whatever.

The pen is mightier than the sword, because it is the words that pen writes which often controls who those swords swing upon.

Homosexuals are gay.

Good point, and it actually reinforces the point being made here by a lot of people. Taken at face value, most people would consider that a bash or an insult. Yet it's nothing of the sort. Homosexuals ARE gay. But "Gay" has lately become so synonamous with (the slang for) lame, that the first response upon reading that for many is to assume it's a derogitory bash rather than a statement.

So wait.. if fat people are jolly, and jolly people are gay, does that mean fat people are gay?

Oh.. and another note... I read on an Elder Scrolls forum where a few people were up in arms over the repeated use of the word "Queer" in the new Shivering Isles expansion for Oblivion. Of course they were flamed by the other posters, but insisted that Bethesda should have found "more appropiate words" for that dialouge. Apperantly, they thought the lines "He's been acting a bit queer lately" was a bash on the sexuality of a NPC (which is never given).

*Shrug*

Slang is fine and all, I use it constantly, but when it gets to the point where you no longer recognise a word's true meaning and how it's used in the context of dialouge - then you've got some major educational problems to deal with.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-04-01 06:45 ]</font>

Solstis
Apr 1, 2007, 12:19 PM
See, this is my general problem with supporting general censorship (or promoting awareness). There's nothing wrong with using Queer that way. It doesn't even necessarily refer to sexuality (today), just otherness.

Anyway, we are bound to language, completely tied to it. Kinda symbiotic, if you look at the relationship writer's have. Then again, you have to modify the use of "language" to mean any sort of communication, written, verbal, non-verbal, etc. Makes more sense that way, anyway.

omegapirate2k
Apr 1, 2007, 10:18 PM
On 2007-04-01 06:33, Sinue_v2 wrote:
Apperantly, they thought the lines "He's been acting a bit queer lately" was a bash on the sexuality of a NPC (which is never given).

That's how people in a medieval type setting would talk O_o

Garroway
Apr 2, 2007, 04:05 PM
I might be on the slow side of the learning curve here but I'm starting to think that this thread isn't as much about the word "Gay" being offensive as it is about rubbing your sexuality in our collective faces. In all honesty, I really don't think it's any of my business who or what you like to have sex with, and I really would prefer to keep it that way.

Solstis
Apr 4, 2007, 04:04 AM
On 2007-04-02 14:05, Garroway wrote:
I might be on the slow side of the learning curve here but I'm starting to think that this thread isn't as much about the word "Gay" being offensive as it is about rubbing your sexuality in our collective faces. In all honesty, I really don't think it's any of my business who or what you like to have sex with, and I really would prefer to keep it that way.

I would like to know who "you" is and who "our" is.

Thalui89
Apr 4, 2007, 05:27 PM
Language evolves over time and word meanings change, for instance gay is now refered to someone who is homosexual, however in the past it simply meant happy. Sadly it appears that the word is evolving into a lingustic 'weapon' to try and wound someones masculinity.

Hopefully its just a phase with the word as i think its petty sad that people are still homophobic.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Thalui89 on 2007-04-04 15:28 ]</font>

Garroway
Apr 5, 2007, 03:54 PM
On 2007-04-04 02:04, Solstis wrote:

Why are you trying so hard to be offended? I hate people who actualy have a desire to made a victim. Is it that you believe the only kind of attention you can get is sympathy? Or is it that you're actualy not offended by the usage of the word "gay" at all, but for reasons I have failed to understand, you felt the need to announce your sexual orientation to the rest of us as if we even give a shit. Are you so uninteresting a human being that the only noteworthy quality you can come up with is your sexual preferance? Why not start a thread about hair color or fingernail length while you're at it.

roygbiv
Apr 5, 2007, 04:04 PM
On 2007-04-05 13:54, Garroway wrote:

Why are you trying so hard to be offended? I hate people who actualy have a desire to made a victim. Is it that you believe the only kind of attention you can get is sympathy? Or is it that you're actualy not offended by the usage of the word "gay" at all, but for reasons I have failed to understand, you felt the need to announce your sexual orientation to the rest of us as if we even give a shit. Are you so uninteresting a human being that the only noteworthy quality you can come up with is your sexual preferance? Why not start a thread about hair color or fingernail length while you're at it.

You have no idea how much of an idiot you sound like. In fact I think you win this thread. Good Job.

astuarlen
Apr 5, 2007, 04:21 PM
Why not start a thread about hair color or fingernail length while you're at it.

I suspect you might be on some sort of mind-altering substance, but this is a smashing idea.

Personally, I prefer short fingernails; long fingernails tend to break, and I still don't believe they don't get in the way of typing and other such activities. Also, other people's long fingernails are much likelier to injure me if we're engaged in an aggressive thumb war or a rousing game of Egyptian rat screw. I hope I've made my position clear.

Solstis
Apr 6, 2007, 03:19 AM

Are you on crack or something? I didn't even start the thread! I didn't start the fire! PJ set it burning! I don't even recall mentioning my sexuality in this thread explicitely either.

It's like you're bizzaro world Skorpius or something. Mean, but lacking that little something that makes you think "oh, he might be right."

Scrub
Apr 6, 2007, 09:18 AM
I haven't read this thread, but some people get offended when I say Fuck, or Shit, and I haven't stopped saying them yet. Same thing with gay.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 6, 2007, 05:42 PM
Can we like stop this thread? Don't you people understand what PJ is saying?
Okay lemme shine some light on dis:
This topic is gonna get OWNED!
How many times have you wanted to slap someone for actually saying this? It sounds funny when you type it, but do you really go around saying it?

Heck no.

He is saying that he hates words that are being used way too much in stupid context.
Personally I like "fucktard" but besides that I try to come up with my own words.
Bowned. Talon-ass (believe me you don't even wanna know).
For a twist I like saying "Ficchen" I believe is how its spelled.
That is the word that Fuck was derived from. Ficchen is a German word from which means"to strike" and it sometimes works great.

I wanna ficchen her.
Or, I would ficchen that. (I would strike that? lol)

Anyway, to sum this up he says to get a new friggin' word to show your displeased state of mind. Stop sayin the same thing, and use your lame(lol) brain to figure it out.

Oh yah, and homosexuals are gay.

Scrub
Apr 6, 2007, 05:53 PM
What is up with people always referring to themselves as "I"? Me thinks people should always refer to themselves as "me." "I" is used far too often, and me for one am just annoyed at how people keep using the same words for everything!

PJ
Apr 6, 2007, 06:13 PM
Man, my topic has gone in every which way it could have possibley gone methinks, and not at most times in the right direction http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Hey, I personally think, "Douche," is a HILARIOUS word. I just don't use it in reference to other people

Or... in reference to what it actually is.

You know what? Shut up. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Sinue_v2
Apr 6, 2007, 08:14 PM
How many times have you wanted to slap someone for actually saying this? It sounds funny when you type it, but do you really go around saying it?

I've said it quite a few times. Just the other day I saw a deer get hit by a cement truck. It was like watching a waterballon full of ketchup being dropped from a third floor window. Owned was the only word which came to mind.

For a twist I like saying "Ficchen" I believe is how its spelled.
That is the word that Fuck was derived from. Ficchen is a German word from which means"to strike" and it sometimes works great.

Glad you finally heard that sound-file explaining the history of the word FUCK. I understand how these things take awhile to get around - it's only been circulating the net since the days of Compuserve.

And yes, I probably would smack you if you said "I'd like to "ficchen" her" in front of me. Or at least, I'd put as much distance between us as possible just in case "she" overheard. I wouldn't want her to think I actually knew you or anything.

Anyway, to sum this up he says to get a new friggin' word to show your displeased state of mind. Stop sayin the same thing, and use your lame(lol) brain to figure it out.

There's lot of words I don't like. Nobody is going to stop using the word "MooseKnuckle" because I don't like it. Why the hell should I go out of my way to alter my vocabulary then?

(That's a lie, actually, I like the word MooseKnuckle - but you get the point. And yes, I know it's technically two words.)

Tomoki
Apr 6, 2007, 11:11 PM
This topic is gay. And by gay I definately do not mean homosexual. Whatcha' gunna do now PJ? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

I don't say the word very often other than to describe people who are homosexual. My friends do however and it doesn't bother me. I think that's like saying the british term "fag" (for cigarettes) is offensive. really bad analogy; I know it doesn't describe the same way but still.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 9, 2007, 01:59 AM
Isin't it weird how vibrations from a flap of cartilige (whoa sorry bout that word. Or bone I don't remember at this moment) in your throat vibrating from wind coming from your lungs determines what kind of person you are?

Sorry Sinue, I kinda forgot how long that movie has been around.
Huh, maybe I should have clarified on the owned thing. I mean the deer getting hit by a cement truck, I probably would have said the same thing. I'm sure though you wouldn't say something like that everytime something like that happened though right?

What I'm saying is, I kinda don't care what people use as thier "catch line" if you will, but sometimes it gets old hearing the same thing over and over.

I have had many of my friends, both new and old, say the same thing for maybe 3-4 months.
Eventually I just stop reacting if they keep saying it. Sometimes it really annoys the shit outta me though, and I tell them to stop saying that, because its dumb and/or not funny.

Changing the pronounciation of a word could work too.
Say boner with a short "o" sound. (BAH-ner I believe)
Its sometimes fun to say things the way they look.

Lol @ mooseknuckle by the way. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif