PDA

View Full Version : Would you like to see stereotypical PS dungeons in this game

Zorafim
Mar 25, 2007, 01:24 PM
Things with remixes of multiple PS game dungeon songs as the back ground music, maybe a bit of PSO thrown in as well (though PSO wasn't known for catchy music, so that may be harder to do). I really liked the VR areas in PSO V.2 because of the remix songs, and would like to see it again.
Any thought on the matter?

Mattardo
Mar 25, 2007, 01:25 PM
There's music in this game? Oh right, I suppose there is, I turned it off halfway through the first month. I suppose I could do with some new music..

Allison_W
Mar 25, 2007, 01:34 PM
I actually liked a lot of PSO's music. You say it wasn't known for catchy music, but I'm tempted to disagree--the Mines, VR Spaceship (what with its remix of the PS2 battle theme), and Central Control Area Jungle/Mountain all had catchy beats. The Ruins theme was sweetly dark and atmospheric. De Rol Le had an excellent, appropriately daunting boss theme, as did the Gol Dragon (I loved the very "digital" feel to its theme). The Seabed facility was a good example of the proper use of calm/rough fades.

Personally, I wouldn't complain one whit if we saw a lot more use of the old PSO tracks in PSU. The music was definitely one of the things PSO did right, and it's one of the things that should be kept for present and future use. I might not be so adamant about it if PSU had better music, but the music is easily one of PSU's weakest links.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Allison_W on 2007-03-25 11:35 ]</font>

Zorafim
Mar 25, 2007, 01:39 PM
By "catchy," I mean singable and otherwise easily reproducible. PSO was all atmosphere, which is great for when it's used by itself, but it leaves for a difficult remix. You can't exactly go around singing PSO songs in the bathtub, even though they may have been great.

And I, too, have long since turned off the music of PSU. It actually adds to the atmosphere.

ShinMaruku
Mar 25, 2007, 01:46 PM
I find both PSO and PSU to have crap music. "Bring yer crew" for the win.

xennec
Mar 25, 2007, 03:07 PM
I find it distracting when the music in an RPG is too catchy. I actually prefer the atmospheric background music. I tried listening to my own music when playing a couple times, but I got too caught up in the music and almost died. There are some games that need the catchy tunes though, like Locoroco.

ShadowDragon28
Mar 25, 2007, 03:20 PM
I don't see how a dungeon maze can be "stereotypical", a character can be "stereotypical", something like a maze/dungeon would be "conventional" or "uncoventional".

I wouldn't mind 3-D versions of the conventional dungeon mazed from the original Phantasy Star with remade music from those dungeons. Those would be cool.

The passage ways would have to be wide enough to accomedate player-characters though, like the cave passages in Raffon Plains, some mazes kind of like that would be awesome too.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShadowDragon28 on 2007-03-25 13:20 ]</font>

Mattardo
Mar 25, 2007, 07:57 PM
And cute little puppy monsters? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

ShadowDragon28
Mar 25, 2007, 08:24 PM
Um. no. There doesn't need to be any puppy monsters.... -__-;

NPCMook
Mar 25, 2007, 08:26 PM
I thought Bardiras had the Puppy thing covered http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

ShinMaruku
Mar 25, 2007, 08:53 PM
I always call them stupid dogs....

ThEoRy
Mar 27, 2007, 02:09 PM
On 2007-03-25 13:20, ShadowDragon28 wrote:
I don't see how a dungeon maze can be "stereotypical", a character can be "stereotypical", something like a maze/dungeon would be "conventional" or "uncoventional".

I wouldn't mind 3-D versions of the conventional dungeon mazed from the original Phantasy Star with remade music from those dungeons. Those would be cool.

The passage ways would have to be wide enough to accomedate player-characters though, like the cave passages in Raffon Plains, some mazes kind of like that would be awesome too.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShadowDragon28 on 2007-03-25 13:20 ]</font>

i do know what u r saying and all, and not to be nit picky or anything but.....(nerd mode on) the mazes in the original phantasy star were 3d. In fact it was the first game released on American consoles featuring a first person view. not to mention the very first rpg released on NA consoles as well. Sorry dragonQuest/FF fans. (Nerd mode off). I do agree though the level designs were far more complex back then. Just try making it through the Skure space port without a map. never used so much graph paper in my life..

VanHalen
Mar 27, 2007, 04:41 PM
I don't know about the old dungeon part but I would like to hear a remix of the PSII battle theme.

DikkyRay
Mar 27, 2007, 04:45 PM
[quote]On 2007-03-25 11:34, Allison_W wrote:
I actually liked a lot of PSO's music. You say it wasn't known for catchy music, but I'm tempted to disagree--the Mines, VR Spaceship (what with its remix of the PS2 battle theme)[/
[quote]
I recall it being the remix of a PSII dungeon, i think the underwater one i believe.

anyway.... I love PSU's music. Ok, i like the Neudaiz Music. But hey, that doesnt make the game crappy.
But i would love to hear Mother Earth Of Dishonesty in the expansion of PSU