PDA

View Full Version : Scapedoll Etiquette: when NOT to bring them?

chibiLegolas
Mar 27, 2007, 12:06 PM
I remember reading that there are certain missions where it's ok NOT to bring scapedolls cause of the massive megid flying around and other obsticles I've yet to see for myself.

Can anyone list which area AND mission names where I don't need to bring mine? I can only assume that such missions like these, ppl are only grinding them for drops and possibly exp.

Kinda like the S and S2 missions where everyone's looking for rappies. Would players be ticked if I ruin their MP on the runs? Or ppl don't care since rappies and other rare drops (on other missions) + time are the priority?

JAFO22000
Mar 27, 2007, 12:25 PM
I would recommend bringing scapes all the time. If you do not have them/want to bring them, it would be good etiquette to let the leader know about this when joining a mission and let them decide if they will keep you in or not. Don't be discouraged if they don't keep you...after all, it is their party.

Shiro_Ryuu
Mar 27, 2007, 12:28 PM
I would say missions like HIVE S, Dulk Fakis, that Coop Moatoob Mission, most other Moatoob missions, and anywhere that has robots, squishers, and traps because its kind of pointless trying to do those missions for grinding, these are purely for exp or for the fun of it.

Deathgeist
Mar 27, 2007, 12:28 PM
Ya I find that unless you get a group of all 10s that aren't working on another class, they are probably gonna want those mission points. Scapes are a good idea at all times IMO

CyarVictor
Mar 27, 2007, 12:33 PM
If there's a group runing suicide missions, yea don't bring em. Also if the groups farming for items and don't need to worry about anything but that special item. Most though still want that S rank for the meseta reward.

Magician
Mar 27, 2007, 12:36 PM
Never ever.

I either roll in a party with a force, in which case I don't need them.

Or I do suicide runs for rares, in which case I don't need them.

Akaimizu
Mar 27, 2007, 12:37 PM
Thanks Magician for the compliment. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif I'll try not to let you down.

Magician
Mar 27, 2007, 12:40 PM
On 2007-03-27 10:37, Akaimizu wrote:
Thanks Magician for the compliment. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif I'll try not to let you down.

You and Little Wing are always by my side in the tough times, my friend, and I'm thankful for it.

JAFO22000
Mar 27, 2007, 12:43 PM
On 2007-03-27 10:36, Magician wrote:
Never ever.

I either roll in a party with a force, in which case I don't need them.

Or I do suicide runs for rares, in which case I don't need them.

A force can't save you from Megid....just sayin'.

Akaimizu
Mar 27, 2007, 12:44 PM
They can't. But they can help lower the percentage that it kills him from it. It's not a whole lot, but in this game, any little bit helps.

Plus, Magician's seen enough times where I use my Twin Gunnies to attract Megid spitters away from him (from a good long distance, mind you), so he has less of them to worry about.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-03-27 10:45 ]</font>

Magician
Mar 27, 2007, 12:46 PM
On 2007-03-27 10:43, JAFO22000 wrote:

I can handle a megid-spitter here and there (like a good guardian should), but if there are multiple spitters then that would constitute a suicide run in my book.

Sharkyland
Mar 27, 2007, 12:50 PM
All I know is this...

"We're trying to get an 's' on this mission. No scape, boot..." Unless you're team completely understands that there are SOME missions where you know you're party is going to die more than 10x (because that's the scape doll limit).

1) Just don't assume that if you're party is doing a suicidal mission doesn't mean you have to bring scape dolls, confirm it

2) Also don't assume that you know you're carrying a scape doll, confirm it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sharkyland on 2007-03-27 10:51 ]</font>

Cracka_J
Mar 27, 2007, 12:52 PM
just watch, scapes be useless in 1-2 months when everyone has all expert classes leveled and ult. pa's purchased. the only reason left to get s rank will be meseta runs. watch every force start using giresta.

JAFO22000
Mar 27, 2007, 01:04 PM
On 2007-03-27 10:46, Magician wrote:

On 2007-03-27 10:43, JAFO22000 wrote:

I can handle a megid-spitter here and there (like a good guardian should), but if there are multiple spitters then that would constitute a suicide run in my book.

...thus, you should bring scapes with you....????

Also, unless you can use Retier to totally negate any damage taken by Megid, it still retains the same chance to incapacitate you. Just because I take 9 damage and someone else takes 232 damage from Megid does NOT mean that I will escape the status more often.

just watch, scapes be useless in 1-2 months when everyone has all expert classes leveled and ult. pa's purchased. the only reason left to get s rank will be meseta runs. watch every force start using giresta.

False statement. New S2 ranks will be released, thus upping the difficulty of levels. Megid is not the only thing that kills people, you know. AND, I refuse to get Giresta...

Akaimizu
Mar 27, 2007, 01:09 PM
Yes, but an increased Evade does increase the chance of Evade going off and negating everything from the Megid, completely. Still, in general, with the people he parties with, it's a combination of buffs/debuffs and distraction that does it. You can always help with Megid if there's just plain less Megid being thrown his way. If they don't throw it in your direction, you can't die from it.

The suicide mission is basically when we all are in a position that is overwhelmed by too many and we aren't sufficiently levelled, or in a party big enough to last through the scapes. And then, there's the case as to whether that particular mission is worth the cost in scapes, if you're going over your head, anyway. So in those cases, you either forgo the scapes and just go for the dropped money and items and monster exp, or if Mission rank is your bag, then go to a mission you can handle.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-03-27 11:13 ]</font>

Sharkyland
Mar 27, 2007, 01:13 PM
Giresta won't save you from a loss in rank but I haven't done a category where someone just died then giresta hit them... though I'm still thinking that would count as a death.

JAFO22000
Mar 27, 2007, 01:18 PM
I understand all of this already...i just find it careless that he does not carry any scapes and relies on his force buddies to help him out. Every once in awhile, people make mistakes and get frozen or hit by megid or just happen to take, like 4 critical hits in a row, etc.

Also, I never considered Zodial as a help for Megid...at least I would never count on it to save me.

Akaimizu
Mar 27, 2007, 01:26 PM
Nobody counts on it. If we counted on it, we wouldn't be running distraction. The idea is to help make sure the Megid doesn't hit him, in the first place. Keep things so he can look out and avoid the Megid he can avoid.

Plus, we're all friends and we know about each other's abilities. The deaths stay real low, if we even encounter any at all, and we're generally a group that agreed that losing a rank isn't a big deal. We play off our gaming strengths and have a fairly strong combination of strategies.

I, myself, carry some scapes; but then again, being not maxed in my class, my playstyle is one that takes risks for the team benefit. It's all about the idea of pushing the role as much as you can, for me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-03-27 11:31 ]</font>

Midicronica
Mar 27, 2007, 01:34 PM
I usually don't bring scapes when my friends and I both agree that we're just there for the rare drops and really don't care for rank and MP. For instance, while searching for the Halp Serafi, doing LLS2 runs, dying is *almost* inevitable for some (mostly hunters.) So, we all agree on not bringing scapes because it really sucks to waste about 5k. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

It really sucks too when a scape doll drops from one of the boxes. Aww, that's such a waste!

Magician
Mar 27, 2007, 01:43 PM
On 2007-03-27 11:18, JAFO22000 wrote:
I understand all of this already...i just find it careless that he does not carry any scapes and relies on his force buddies to help him out. Every once in awhile, people make mistakes and get frozen or hit by megid or just happen to take, like 4 critical hits in a row, etc.

Also, I never considered Zodial as a help for Megid...at least I would never count on it to save me.

It is careless, that's part of the fun.

Also, from my never having any scapes I've often assumed that those I party with don't carry any either, though they often do. I am shocked everytime a party member jumps right back up after a KO. I say to myself, "Oh well, there goes the s rank. Wait, you had a scape? Well, there's a chance then." every time.

And it takes more than four criticals to KO me, more like six or seven, tee hee.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Magician on 2007-03-27 11:43 ]</font>

Rashiid
Mar 27, 2007, 01:44 PM
Rawr!! Scapes at all timez!!

pineapple
Mar 27, 2007, 03:04 PM
On 2007-03-27 11:04, JAFO22000 wrote:

False statement. New S2 ranks will be released, thus upping the difficulty of levels. Megid is not the only thing that kills people, you know. AND, I refuse to get Giresta...

You missed the point. If no one in the party needs mission points or fragments, the rank reward is worthless.

JAFO22000
Mar 27, 2007, 03:20 PM
Yes, but you will always want the meseta. I doubt there will come a time when people won't try for the S rank. I always try for it....don't always get it, but I try. No harm in bringing 2 or 3 scapes along for insurance, is there? I mean, you make it sound like people are going to start playing carelessly and die all over the place just because they don't need PA frags or MP any longer. I don't need either, yet I still strive for the S rank...hmm.

Natrokos
Mar 27, 2007, 04:04 PM
Just use your best judgement. I don't party with people unless they are on my friends list. (I meet new people through friends of friends) so if I do die and dont have a scape i'm not afraid of getting eaten alive.

PMB960
Mar 27, 2007, 04:08 PM
Only time I haven't brought scapes while rappy hunting on S2. It is completely pointless to waste a scape if you aren't getting a reward anyways. As for Dulk Fakis and stuff definitely ask first. If others plan on not dodging and dying a ton it isn't worth it.

pokefiend
Mar 27, 2007, 04:14 PM
On 2007-03-27 11:44, Rashiid wrote:
Rawr!! Scapes at all timez!! unless you're hunting for rare items and monsters

fixed

Mystil
Mar 27, 2007, 07:10 PM
Not worth brining for bruce missions.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Mar 27, 2007, 07:18 PM
Only tyime I don't bring dolls is when I'm hunting specific rares in a Megid-heavy are such as Linear Lol or HIV.

ljkkjlcm9
Mar 27, 2007, 07:33 PM
I'm hunting rappies on LL S2, i don't care if I die, or my NPC players die, or if anyone who joins dies

THE JACKEL

Tengoku
Mar 27, 2007, 07:42 PM
On 2007-03-27 10:25, JAFO22000 wrote:
I would recommend bringing scapes all the time. If you do not have them/want to bring them, it would be good etiquette to let the leader know about this when joining a mission and let them decide if they will keep you in or not. Don't be discouraged if they don't keep you...after all, it is their party.
Also, be sure to read the party notes. If the notes state a need for scapes, then bring scapes. Politeness counts. Being prepared with the required gear is a form of politeness.

Cracka_J
Mar 28, 2007, 12:55 PM
On 2007-03-27 13:20, JAFO22000 wrote:
Yes, but you will always want the meseta. I doubt there will come a time when people won't try for the S rank.

All this was said in my original post. If the time was spent to actually read it before jumping the gun and posting randomness, the above poster wouldn't have had to relay my point again.

It seems silly to me that people will try to get S ranks even when they are maxed on class/upa's. Exp will end up being key as the game winds down to the last 20 lvl's, and people will begin to care a lot less about the "required" scape bringing on runs. It really won't matter anymore....money drops will be decent durning runs, and if people end up getting S it will be more like "hey cool, we got some bonus cash".

Regardless, I still bring scapes along 'cause I realize it's still a bit of time before this takes effect. Just wait tho, you're precious scapes will be obsolete.

JAFO22000
Mar 28, 2007, 02:37 PM
??

A lot of people are maxed on class and ultimate photon arts (myself included) yet still try for S-ranks. If I don't get it, no biggie, but I felt the same way BEFORE maxing both.

Scapes won't become obsolete. They may not be in as much of a demand as they are now, but they won't become obsolete. It's your opinion that they will and my opinion that they will not. Hint: if EVERYONE dies, you have to restart the boss fight. Think Fakis and Maghana fights.

Cracka_J
Mar 28, 2007, 04:24 PM
I agree with ya regarding boss encounters. Considering some bosses can level a party in 1 attack, this is pretty much the only occasion I can see them still being used on a frequent basis.