PDA

View Full Version : Story mode...whats that?

amtalx
Mar 29, 2007, 10:04 AM
OK, so I've been online since day one...havn't touched the story mode except to save once so I could stop getting that annoying "Couldn't locate Phantasy Star Universe data." message. In the interest of not burning myself out on the online play I was considering tapping into the story mode. I wanted to know what people think about it. Is it fun? Are the characters interesting? Is it just the online mode with some cut scenes jammed in? I've heard only a few things so far, but ranging from "its pretty good" to "complete disaster". Any recommendations. good or bad, would be much appreciated.

Dhylec
Mar 29, 2007, 10:13 AM
Story is supposedly the background (some, not all) for what we have online. It's not epic, but still is something fun to play if you can't go online.

DurakkenX
Mar 29, 2007, 10:14 AM
it's decent, but if you are looking for just story I'd say just wait for me to finish writing out the script. More than likely all the interesting facts you will miss anyways while playing as you get all that info from NPCs that most never talk to or during time it is easy to miss accidentally

So far I've come across
in chapter 1
2 named NPCs
a date for when Guardians was established

in chapter 2, i've only glanced at..
info about Guardians subsects
Human population
CAST population

in online mode...a few things missed by most...
Where the term kubara comes from
when PPT established

anyways yeah...if you are just interested in find out what happened...wait a bit and it will be all told. if you want to play the game for yourself and don't really care about the story so much just play it... it only takes 12-24 hours to complete if you run right through and know what you are doing.

amtalx
Mar 29, 2007, 10:26 AM
Oh I see, are there a lot of terms in online mode that are explained in the story? I've wondered where some of that stuff comes from...

DurakkenX
Mar 29, 2007, 11:07 AM
in the basic story mode you will get an explanation of A-Photons, nanotransformer, SEED, and the Relics... or at least general info about them. Everything else is either game play mechanics or progression of plot.

story mode pretty much goes

Exposition
Mirei/Karren divine maiden arch
Endrum Collective arch
HIVE arch

btw Endrum Collective is actually a mistranslation. It's Endrum Organization...

But yeah that's how the story goes and unless you spend extensive time speaking to NPCs and going through menus you won't learn much of anything. Just about everything is told to you via things you can skip...

It's similiar to the whole black paper side story or the weapons side story of PSO. It adds depth to the story, but easily missable if you don't pay attention and talk to all the NPCs, but during those periods you learn plenty ^.^