PDA

View Full Version : Would you watch a "Phantasy Star" Anime?

Zantra
Apr 8, 2007, 01:46 AM
If they made a Phantasy Star Anime, would you watch it?

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 8, 2007, 01:48 AM
No, because anime is made of suck and fail.

Skuda
Apr 8, 2007, 01:49 AM
I'd watch it, only if it was good.

frankly.. I don't watch anything unless it's good. >_>

Retehi
Apr 8, 2007, 01:52 AM
No, don't like anime.

Thrash777
Apr 8, 2007, 01:53 AM
Any anime, is good anime IMO http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

...but it would have to be an official story from Sonic Team, I hate it when companies sell their rights to another, and then the story gets totally screwed up by people that don't know anything about the history or true story behind a large fan base such as Phantasy Star. A LOT of history... I'm sure me and Sinue_v2 could talk your ears off about it! lol

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 8, 2007, 01:55 AM
Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the story of Phantasy Star (well, I enjoyed 2 and 4 a lot). Anime just sucks ass.

AweOfShe
Apr 8, 2007, 01:59 AM
I would watch it, but who knows if I would actually like it, in the end or not. :P

The only game-to-anime that I even remotely liked, was Star Ocean EX.

Ether
Apr 8, 2007, 02:01 AM
PSU Story Mode already IS a phantasy star anime

and it sucks ass

ThEoRy
Apr 8, 2007, 02:13 AM
It would have to be an epic story line spanning all generations of Phantasy Star. As every 1000 years, the unholy Dark Force returns to consume all in his darkness....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Octagon on 2007-04-08 00:14 ]</font>

Cz
Apr 8, 2007, 02:16 AM
i love anime, but seeing how sega story telling goes...i dont know if it is a good idea for them to make an anime. Even if they made an anime out of it, it probably gonna have an uninteresting story and boring plot. i will probably see the anime of it anyway to see how suck it can get...lol. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

-Shimarisu-
Apr 8, 2007, 02:17 AM
wtf why do all you people care?

I'd watch a freaking LIVE ACTION japanese show about Phantasy Star, and those really ARE made of suck and fail.

Deja_Vu
Apr 8, 2007, 02:20 AM
I might watch it once to see what it was like. But it would most likely be terrible, boring and angsty. In other words, made of AIDS and fail.

omegapirate2k
Apr 8, 2007, 02:21 AM
I dislike anime as well, and I'm nowhere NEAR a hardcore enough fan of PS anything to really watch it.

Meh.

Kaloa
Apr 8, 2007, 02:42 AM
Yes, provided it contained none of the characters from PSU....

Angelo
Apr 8, 2007, 02:56 AM
I don't watch animu.

But if they had a PSU one with Ethan and all that shit I'd give it a shot.

ashley50
Apr 8, 2007, 04:29 AM
well...that will depend on the story and the artwork used on the Phantasy Star Anime =p. and teh OP music as well...=p

infected
Apr 8, 2007, 04:32 AM
I'd watch it at least once... hoping it isn't shiat though.

suncrush
Apr 8, 2007, 04:53 AM
No. I've never seen an anime that I like.

infected
Apr 8, 2007, 05:04 AM
Though, I wouldn't mind a Manga at all http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

dragoon-girl
Apr 8, 2007, 05:39 AM
On 2007-04-07 23:55, Ffuzzy-Logik wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the story of Phantasy Star (well, I enjoyed 2 and 4 a lot). Anime just sucks ass.

Why? :/

You can't just say all Anime sucks, they're all different...

On 2007-04-08 03:04, infected wrote:
Though, I wouldn't mind a Manga at all http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

ooo, now a Manga would be cool... I've only just started getting into Manga http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dragoon-girl on 2007-04-08 03:59 ]</font>

suncrush
Apr 8, 2007, 06:07 AM
On 2007-04-08 03:39, dragoon-girl wrote:

If you're not into the art style or the storytelling techniques or the methods of characterization used, you're just not going to get into the genre anywhere.

prismsub5
Apr 8, 2007, 07:30 AM
I managed to watch the dothack anime without falling asleep, i should be able to watch a PS anime http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Dragon_Knight
Apr 8, 2007, 07:30 AM
I would watch it....but only if they have a crazy newman transer causing Excel like trouble.

AnnabellaRenee87
Apr 8, 2007, 07:33 AM
Only if it was about PSO if it was PSU then it would suck as much as the story mode of PSU http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

pokefiend
Apr 8, 2007, 07:59 AM
Well, regardless I rarely know anything about Phantasy Star past, I'd still love to see a PS anime. B/C Frankly I dont watch animes for a trill-seeking storyline.

On 2007-04-08 04:07, suncrush wrote:

On 2007-04-08 03:39, dragoon-girl wrote:

If you're not into the art style or the storytelling techniques or the methods of characterization used, you're just not going to get into the genre anywhere.

That's completely subjective. Animes take on many forms. If you dont like the animation style of Azumanga Diaoh, you can always watch one of Chibli Studio films; Castle in the Sky, Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, etc. And if you dont like shonen animes such as Naruto, Bleach, or One Piece, their's always more mature animes to watch like Ghost in the shell, Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Alchemist, etc. And finally if you dont like crude Comedies such as Chobits, and Full Metal Panic, well there's always less crude comedies like ROD the TV series, Bobob-bob-bobobbo, and even pokect monsters get funny time-to-time. ^.^

Zeota
Apr 8, 2007, 08:51 AM
It'd depend on which studio did it, especially if it were Gonzo or GAINAX.

Rashiid
Apr 8, 2007, 08:57 AM
never was too fond of this 'Anime' that your speaking of.

Sekani
Apr 8, 2007, 09:13 AM
Nothing against anime, but I'm almost positive it would suck.

suncrush
Apr 8, 2007, 10:16 AM
That's completely subjective. Animes take on many forms. If you dont like the animation style of Azumanga Diaoh, you can always watch one of Chibli Studio films; Castle in the Sky, Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, etc. And if you dont like shonen animes such as Naruto, Bleach, or One Piece, their's always more mature animes to watch like Ghost in the shell, Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Alchemist, etc. And finally if you dont like crude Comedies such as Chobits, and Full Metal Panic, well there's always less crude comedies like ROD the TV series, Bobob-bob-bobobbo, and even pokect monsters get funny time-to-time. ^.^

I've seen all of those, and you're right that there are significant differences. But there are significant similarities as well. With any of those, you can put them on and tell instantly that they are Japanese animation and not Western. There are styles, motifs, cliches, and mechanisms of the genre that are simply not in Western cinema. And the same is true of Western cinema. Whether comedy, drama, action or horror, there are ways of telling a story, character archetypes, plot styles, that get repeated throughout Western cinema.

If you don't like the things drawn from Japanese culture that make anime anime, you're just not going to like much or anything from the field.

That's the category I find myself in.

Of course, there's also the issue that the dubbing is usually terrible, but that is not a flaw of the genre, just a flaw of its translation.

Jasam
Apr 8, 2007, 10:22 AM
If it followed the dark plot of PSO (or any PS game) it could be good.
PSU is corney enough as it is already.

natewifi
Apr 8, 2007, 10:28 AM
You watch it or you dont watch it thats what it all comes down to. IMO Japanese cartoons and books or w/e is so dramatic and just wierd, I just never understood that one cartoon with the little slugger, and comics and manga are just boring. The only anime or w/e, that was really good was Samurai Champloo. So to cut to the chase, no I wouldnt watch it.

Rashiid
Apr 8, 2007, 10:31 AM
idk, most Anime has half-naked chicks....

and....if Maya's tats are hangin out now...

imagin if they Animed that!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Esufer
Apr 8, 2007, 11:05 AM
On 2007-04-07 23:53, Thrash777 wrote:
Any anime, is good anime IMO http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Dragon Booster.

eightball
Apr 8, 2007, 11:13 AM
I would watch it but like all anime...it would only be truly worth watching it if it was rated R...be a little graphic

Ryoten
Apr 8, 2007, 11:15 AM
Watchin Ethan make more of an ass in an anime would be embrassing to me not him. I feel bad playing with him in story mode.

Serephim
Apr 8, 2007, 11:15 AM
On 2007-04-08 00:01, Ether wrote:
PSU Story Mode already IS a phantasy star anime

and it sucks ass

It wasnt the story, its was the deliverence..

..And the fact that you could never have fun playing with your teammates because they were dumb as fuck.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Serephim on 2007-04-08 09:16 ]</font>

Tystys
Apr 8, 2007, 11:18 AM
A PSO Anime would be pretty cool if it was done right...

Like for instance, DON'T LET SEGA WRITE THE SCRIPT DAMNIT

Serephim
Apr 8, 2007, 11:21 AM
in all truth, an anime based off of PSO would be much better.

The overall feel would just be better.

PSU would be too complicated and too real-world modern to be "cool" at all, becuase knowing sonic team (and the horrible "modern" sonic games theyve been doing), they SUCK at making things "cool" or "modern". (Sonic 360 OMFGWTF Humans are now sexually attracted to hedgehogs?)

PSO had a feel of being in a completely different world with the outfits and areas.

PSU has a feel of being in a extremely technological advanced world where Everything has a scientific explaination. With different outfits and areas.

It really all depends on what they would do with it. But i assure you, if ethan was the main character, and it followed the PSU plot, it would suck.

The cheesy and retardedly stupid death of Mireri (OMFG I DISCIPLINE MY CHILD OMFG OOPS I KILLED HER) just wouldnt work in an Anime.

And Ethan's lines would be embarrising to watch.

"Ill Protect this world...BECAUSE YOUR IN IT KAREN.."

"..orly?"

"yarly."

*hugs*

The PSU storyline was awesome, but when you think about it, it was really just made of Fail.

All the plot twists are so retardedly obvious (except when mirei's windpipe gets pwned by her fathers discplinary action) that a 10 year old could have written it.

That, and ethan is retarded.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Serephim on 2007-04-08 09:23 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Serephim on 2007-04-08 09:27 ]</font>

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 8, 2007, 12:03 PM
lol at people saying PSO had a better story than PSU. PSU owns PSO at storytelling so hard it isn't even funny.

PSII and IV still win by a landslide, though.

Nai_Calus
Apr 8, 2007, 08:57 PM
PS: Only if they bring back some of the creative staff from the original series. Kodama and Yoshida, for example. And keep Naka far, far away from it.

PSO: Considering the way PSO's plot is done, it would have to follow either side stories or be set before or after the games. If it resolved the storyline of Elly and Calus in a satisfactory manner, though, I'd be all over it like white on rice.

PSU: Fuck no. PSU's storyline is garbage that's an insult to the PS name. PSU is to PS as Star Wars Episodes 1-3 are to Star Wars Episodes IV-VI: A shitty insult. DX

Obscenity
Apr 9, 2007, 03:58 AM
On 2007-04-07 23:49, Skuda wrote:
I'd watch it, only if it was good.

frankly.. I don't watch anything unless it's good. >_>

How do you know whether something is good or not unless you watch it? Or are you one of those people that relies on everyone else's opinion of everything instead of making up your own mind?

PrinceBrightstar
Apr 9, 2007, 10:10 PM
Lets not forget, SEGA has done some anime. Sonic X anyone? That not only encompassed the Adventure games, it expanded on the story. I think an anime could very well do some justice to the Algol series...

Hm...maybe we could do it? Not on TV of course, but maybe a flash?

This is sort of a thought I had in how it might look.
http://www.phantasystarmonthly.com/PSanime.rtf

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jonathan_F on 2007-04-09 20:43 ]</font>

Weeaboolits
Apr 12, 2007, 02:09 AM
I'd watch it for sure, but whether I'd continue watching it, that's the question...

I'd love to see a PSO one, it had a manga I think, but I dunno' if that ever got localized, I'd be interested in a classic PS one too, but I'ven't played much of the original series, so I dunno' what I'd think of it.
PSU, meh, maybe it would be good...

So long as we don't end up with a PS version of Sonic X... (they get mad props for following the games story lines, but everything else... bah! They screwed up the voice of EVERY CHARACTER! Especially Gamma! >:O RAWR!)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ronin_Cooper on 2007-04-12 00:12 ]</font>

Kei_Kurasagi
May 21, 2007, 04:40 PM
An Anime of PSO would be awesome! but there is something that has to be clear...*Yelling* FOR THE LOVE OF DARK FALZ DO NOT LET 4KIDS DUB IT!!!! OR FUNIMATION,FOR THAT MATTER!!! Viz Media would be sorta O.K. ...you know what? I think it would be just as good if someone made a fan flash.

Saffran
May 26, 2007, 07:01 AM
How about this? Would you watch this?

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/7859/no01ct4.jpg

Nai_Calus
May 26, 2007, 10:25 AM
Only if the FOmar and the HUmar have s- *coughcoughcough* play checkers together a lot. Default FOmar is so passe. Calus, both versions, was much better. (Calus also actually got *used*... Why they never used the default FOmar, and why Calus himself didn't have the default FOmar's appearance, I have no fucking clue.)

Jife_Jifremok
May 29, 2007, 11:41 AM
Phantasy Star I, II and IV could perhaps be great. They already have a nice world/history that could easily be more fleshed out in an anime, provided that it doesn't suck. Those three games cover the same star system in three extremely different time periods. One filled with high magic&mystery and technology, one filled with even higher technology but no magic and little mystery, and one that continues to struggle to survive after great catastrophe, with magics and legends resurfacing and not-as-ancient-but-still-ancient technology also lending a hand.

Oh, and PSIV has Raja the old priest that constantly tells bad jokes. I'd love to see that anime-ted.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jife_Jifremok on 2007-05-29 09:42 ]</font>

A2K
Jun 1, 2007, 08:29 PM
Whether or not it's good or bad, is more a matter of the product itself and its own merits, regardless of whatever source material is used. There are numerous instances in all forms of media where the adaptation simply doesn't hold up to the original, or where an adaptation goes above and beyond anything the source could have ever hoped to offer.

That is, of course, assuming if such a theoretical Phantasy Star project used anything pre-existing in the first place.

Mirinee
Jun 5, 2007, 11:46 AM
I would watch it for the same reason I watched these other anime based on video games: Pokemon, Star Ocean EX, Tales of Phantasia and Ragnarok Online -- for the art. When I'm lucky, I get some good music and voice acting too, such as in Tales of Phantasia. I never have high expectations for the plot/character development anyway (no faith in anime...sorry), so they didn't disappoint me much. I even watched .hack//SIGN because I liked RPGs.

I would watch it, no matter what. If it's bad, I'll just pretend that I saw some awful fanwork thing and would think no less of Phantasy Star, but that's the worst case scenario. Although I only like two anime serieses, I love most anime artstyles. That's part of the reason why I love PSO so much. It would be interesting to see the character designs, as there just isn't enough decent PSO artwork. PS artwork even less. I would love to see the original Espers and Alisa! I wonder if they have actual cutscenes in the PS Generations remakes of PSI and PSII, or if it's just stills. I've seen screenshots of the redone character designs, and if the anime looks anything like that, ...yey! I want, now! =)

Vashyron
Jun 6, 2007, 03:38 PM
I'll watch it if it was based on PSO or PSU.

Weeaboolits
Jun 12, 2007, 10:37 PM
A classic Phantasy Star one'd be nice too. ;]

PrinceBrightstar
Jun 24, 2007, 05:48 AM
We really don't need an anime based PSO or PSU. Those could actually be done using the game engine for the most part with a bit of post.

Weeaboolits
Jul 9, 2007, 01:03 AM
Bah, what fun is that?

morrow
Jul 18, 2007, 08:27 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cool.gif this may be hard to believe but i love PSwhatever! as long as they did it good I would watch it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cool.gif