PDA

View Full Version : I didn't write off my soul to your forum

KodiaX987
Apr 8, 2007, 09:12 AM
Webmasters, this is for you: when you decide to make up a bullshit newsletter to annoy the fuck out of the people who signed up at your place, at least have the common courtesy to give them a way to UNSUBSCRIBE.

I'm getting E-Mails from forums I stopped visiting two years ago simply because the idiots never let me know that my address wouldn't just simply be used for password recovery (of course!), there is no way to unsubscribe through the site's mechanics, and all my calls for help have gone completely ignored. Result: I get "amazing news" that I don't care about from websites and forums I wish would burn in hell for their design idiocy.

And for the love of God, don't do like Atari UK forums and auto-subscribe me to every single thread I create or post into. If I become as active there as I am on PSOW, you can easily guess your feature will DoS-attack my Yahoo! inbox in a matter of minutes. This is not a good thing.

Think before you design your fucking website!

DikkyRay
Apr 8, 2007, 10:25 AM
Hmm wow. It seems like hitting "delete emails" Is hard for some people....

Rasputin
Apr 8, 2007, 10:25 AM
I keep getting E-mails from colleges I've never heard of.

And it's the same three fucking colleges.

concussionman
Apr 8, 2007, 12:22 PM
Shouldn't you be able to block the senders of these emails? Or at least set them as junk mail so that they auto-delete?

Solstis
Apr 8, 2007, 01:23 PM
On 2007-04-08 08:25, DikkyRay wrote:

It depends on how many emails you're getting.

By the way, your sarcasm sucks.

KodiaX987
Apr 8, 2007, 01:43 PM
The principle is this: A delete button isn't an excuse for lack of design on the webmaster's part. If I told you straight up "By signing up to my website, I'll send you news and updates and you have no way to unsubscribe from them, so the only way to get rid of them is to delete them as they come or block my E-Mail address", I'm not sure that would inspire much confidence from you.

So yes, hitting delete is hard here. Because I shouldn't have to do this. It's not the normal way of doing it. If I don't want E-Mails from the site, I usually get the convenient little feature of unchecking a box upon sign-up or there's a handy button in my profile called "receive mails from administrator" which I can uncheck too. But sometimes, they don't exist. Some websites are designed in such a way that signing up irrevocably puts you on the mailing list, forever and ever.

I get the same bullshit from TigerDirect and Transport Canada'a aviation department. Both of them send me countless catalogues and newsletters, even though I do not give a shit about TigerDirect's mega special deals (I get the catalogue only because I ordered from them only once), and I no longer fly, thus making both pieces of mail complete wastes of paper that go straight to the trash. And lo and behold: TigerDirect doesn't have an option for unsubscribing to their catalogue at all, so I'm doomed to receive it 'till the end of time. Transport Canada was even worse: knowing their unbelievably quirky website, I called them straight up, and gave up after about 45 minutes of being transferred back and forth because no one in the fuckin' building had actually thought of the eventuality that someone would stop flying airplanes and would no longer need their newsletter. I didn't even read it when I DID fly, so imagine now.

Ads and spam, I can handle. Yes, they're annoying, but it's part of the mailbox, we all know it's normal to get these. But stuff in which I normally have a say about if I get it or not, and my say is taken away, then there's a problem somewhere, and I shouldn't have to waste my time calling people right and left to fix this, simply because that problem isn't supposed to happen altogether.

DikkyRay
Apr 8, 2007, 11:56 PM
On 2007-04-08 11:23, Solstis wrote:

On 2007-04-08 08:25, DikkyRay wrote:

It depends on how many emails you're getting.

By the way, your sarcasm sucks.

And i was being sarcastic how? If Kodia was getting that many emails, then get a new email account.
i laugh at how you think theres sarcasm on the internet

Jehosaphaty
Apr 10, 2007, 09:26 AM
On 2007-04-08 21:56, DikkyRay wrote:
And i was being sarcastic how? If Kodia was getting that many emails, then get a new email account.
i laugh at how you think theres sarcasm on the internet

For some of us who live in the real world, changing emails is simply not an option. It's beyond inconvenient to expect your long list of contacts to change their info about your email, as well as losing people in the process who wouldn't know your new email. Maybe that works for high school kiddy gmail accounts, but for people who use their email for work or school, yeah right. Kodia's beef still stands.

Sinue_v2
Apr 10, 2007, 12:27 PM
Or you could, you know, get a "spam email" which you use to sign up to forums and other interweb spam traps. I've been using two seperate emails for about as long as I've been on the net, and it works like a charm. Though generally I only give out my personal email to a very select few people... and most people end up with my spam mail, because they cannot help but send me every goddamned fucking chain letter, penis enlargement advert, joke, pic, file, virus, and whatever other crap which crosses their desktop. Only people who I know aren't in the habit of forwarding every fucking thing they get to everyone on their fucking address list make it to my personal email.

Just giving someone your email addy to "stay in contact with them" is about paramount to recieving the forum spam that Kodia is talking about.

Kent
Apr 11, 2007, 09:45 AM
Eh... I have three e-mail addresses. Professional, personal, and a dummy.

Windows Live Mail has this nifty little "delete, block, report as junk mail" button, too. Works wonders.

...But I do agree that any newsletter should have an unsubscribe link to it - that, and you shouldn't be subscribed to one without permission, in the first place.