PDA

View Full Version : Self deleted characters.

natewifi
Apr 8, 2007, 12:52 PM
So i wanna know, how long does it take for your characters to be deleted after not playing for a long period of time.

Flwl3ssCowboy
Apr 8, 2007, 12:54 PM
Wasn't it like, 5-6 months?

AweOfShe
Apr 8, 2007, 12:55 PM
I heard 3 months, but I'm not so sure about that anymore. :P

Cz
Apr 8, 2007, 12:59 PM
they actually delete characters???

suncrush
Apr 8, 2007, 12:59 PM
You know, my philosophy is that if I am paying you a monthly fee, you have no business deleting my characters as long as I am paying you.

Flwl3ssCowboy
Apr 8, 2007, 01:00 PM
On 2007-04-08 10:59, BunnyGirl wrote:
they actually delete characters???

yup, if you dawdle with giving SEGA "their" money after your account payment's up

AweOfShe
Apr 8, 2007, 01:02 PM
Wait, I thought that's if you cancel your account for a certain amount of time. :P

Deedlet
Apr 8, 2007, 01:07 PM
I thought it was 90 Days period. No??

BlueDagger
Apr 8, 2007, 01:18 PM
Umph.... I guess my poor little character's gone then... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

StanleyPain
Apr 8, 2007, 01:20 PM
They don't delete until you stop paying for about 3-4 months. If you're paying but not playing your character will still be there.

suncrush
Apr 8, 2007, 01:20 PM
Oh, ok. That's fair.

Cz
Apr 8, 2007, 01:24 PM
they only delete your characters if u fail to pay their monthly fee am i right? and if 3-4 months pass by and u still havent paid then they will delete? But if u did pay your bill and u cancel your account, i am assuming my characters will be intact and not deleted...is this correct?? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

TorterraEndor
Apr 8, 2007, 01:24 PM
Nobodies actually reported characters being deleted.

PSOBB had the same system, people went over a year without paying, characters stayed.

natewifi
Apr 8, 2007, 01:26 PM
i only walked away from my lap for like 5 min, already 10 REPLIES! THX FOR THE INFO, MUCH!

ljkkjlcm9
Apr 8, 2007, 01:26 PM
the contract says, Sega has the right to delete your characters if the account is inactive for 90 days, or 3 months. That doesn't mean they will, just that they can

THE JACKEL

HUnewearl_Meira
Apr 8, 2007, 01:32 PM
They bother to delete your account information? Can anyone confirm that this has happened to them? It's not clear to me that they should have any advantage to doing this, as characters' continued existence on the server is extra incentive (no matter how trivial) for a passed player to come back, and the amount of room the character data takes up on the server should be rather trivial (maybe 300KB per character, max). Deleting character data for inactive accounts could only result in added load on the server, having to scan accounts regularly for data to remove. I suppose this sort of thing was common back in the 90's, when data space was constantly at a premium, but now, it's plentiful...

So anyway, can someone confirm that this has happened to them?

Sekani
Apr 8, 2007, 01:36 PM
FFXI is the only game I know of that actually DID delete characters after you stopped paying for the account for so long. Many other MMOs will say in their terms of service that they reserve the right to delete after a certain period of time, but few of them actually do.

Reginaldo
Apr 8, 2007, 04:17 PM
This is Sega America we're talking about. Characters getting deleted is as likely as there being GM's online to assist people everyday.

Eeyore
Apr 8, 2007, 04:36 PM
The 3 month deletion was said to be on PSOBB. I never actually saw a link to website that stated it though. I don't see anything about it on the PSU website either.

Anyway I played PSOBB beta. Then came back a year and play the trial and my characters were still there.

McLaughlin
Apr 8, 2007, 05:18 PM
If three months has passed after the cancellation of your account, and you have not renewed the subscription, Sega retains the right to delete your characters. That doesn't mean they will, but you're shit out of luck if they do.

FFXI has the same kind of agreement. Although, my Character ID was inactive for almost 5 months and it was still there when I went to start playing again (I was expecting to have to start over fresh). WoW on the other hand, has no such policy. By buying the game, you've permanently reserved a spot for your data on their servers. It's dependent on the company.

I sincerely doubt Sega would ever reach the point where they would be force to delete character data to make room for new players.

Raysa
Apr 9, 2007, 01:30 AM
Anyone can confirm their character being deleted?

I am thinking about the summer 3-4months time without playing PSU. So I'm kinda curious.

KamiSori
Apr 9, 2007, 01:34 AM
i assume the only reason they would delete your character's data would be if they actually needed the space. i highy doubt any characters have been deleted yet.

rena-ko
Apr 9, 2007, 04:27 AM
they only ever said that they would keep them selves this option in case they'd need the server room. which is doubtful.

-Ryuki-
Apr 9, 2007, 05:08 AM
Reminds me of when I deleted my lvl 80 to remake him into something different.

SabZero
Apr 9, 2007, 08:38 AM
I think it's actually a legal pickle. In a way, you have paid for that accaount and everyhting that it contains. So who owns the data - they can't just "throw it out" (this reminds me of pre-paid mobile phone cards, where they used to throw your money away if you didn't use the phone in a certain time frame. It was ruled illegal - your money is your money).

SuperRygar
Apr 9, 2007, 08:46 AM
why is the topic called Self Deleted Characters? unless you work at Sega and your deleting your own characters because you havent payed in X months, then its NOT self deletion