PDA

View Full Version : PSU-XBox 360: Pronunciation of TECHNICs, types, ect.

danny_o
Apr 8, 2007, 08:11 PM
I have a tendency to utilize a French-like pronunciation on some of the stuff in this game! Anyone else do this? I guess it is of little matter if you aren't on 360, but maybe you use a chat server if you are on PC and have Ventrilo or TeamSpeak.

Like with "Retier," I call that "reh-tee-ay," because that sounds French-like! And I call "Foie" in the manner they say "Oui," like "fwa-ee" or "fwo-ee" or "fwa-ai."

The one thing that grinds my gears to high heaven is the way some people say the "forte" in the forte-types. They say the "tay" at the end!! ARGGHHH!!! It would be [u]unconscionably[u/] asinine of me to go about rectifying these dolts, so I let it slide making you guys the luckiest dolts out there! For-TAY-fighter? For-TAY-techer? For-TAY-techer is redundant in most vexing way! Forte means strength, mighty, powerful, and such, and the "e" is not pronounced and some times not even the "t" but if that "e" follows that "t" then you wind up saying the "t" (IN FRENCH, I think in Italian the "e" and "t" are sounded out but I am not sure.)

I was going to back up my argument by looking at the names that are still in Japanese text, but they have the "テ" letter after the "for" part...so I suppose they intended people to call Fortefighter "フォルテファイター", which is "forutefaitaa." *SIGH*

My days will probably be fraught with this linguistic annoyance for a long time. But how do y'all folks call out those tricky names? I think Damfoie, using French-ish style, sounds like the awesomest! "Dam-Fwa-Ai!"

Mattardo
Apr 8, 2007, 08:16 PM
Ask a musician how he pronounces forte. And foie. "this passage should be forte, not pianissimo, and played with the most delicate shading of foie".

Newdroid
Apr 8, 2007, 08:18 PM
Hmm, I say forte like "for-tay". >_> And I say foie like "foy". I also say zonde like "zonday"

Mattardo
Apr 8, 2007, 08:20 PM
I personally say SuperForce or SuperHunter. That skips the problem altogether. Or fireball for foie. De Ragon is the Dragon, and the flying dragons are "the dragons". There are also "jumpy thingees", "lil lizards" and "baby dragons". I'm sure you can all figure out what monsters these are.

ZeGoose
Apr 8, 2007, 08:20 PM
last time i heard was that we mostly speak english not french or italian.

Rashiid
Apr 8, 2007, 08:21 PM
i pronounce things different all the time...

sum days ull hear me say 'di-ga' or 'meh-gid'

other days ill say 'dee-ga' or 'meh-jid'

Trioxin13
Apr 8, 2007, 08:25 PM
On 2007-04-08 18:18, Newdroid wrote:
Hmm, I say forte like "for-tay". >_> And I say foie like "foy". I also say zonde like "zonday"

Same with me... they say for-tay (http://www.tfd.com/forte) too if you listen to it pronounced there. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Yaoguai
Apr 8, 2007, 08:57 PM
Last time I checked this game was ported from japan not from france.

Kent
Apr 8, 2007, 08:59 PM
There was a topic about this a while back, where everyone already got corrected on how they wrongly pronounce everything. :/

pineapple
Apr 8, 2007, 09:12 PM
learn kana...

Angelo
Apr 8, 2007, 09:13 PM
Bust out the katakana spellings and take it from there.

That's how I learned that HUnewearl is actually supposed to be "Hah-Nuu-erl" D:

Skuda
Apr 8, 2007, 09:22 PM
Foie is intended to be pronounced (foi-eh). Much like how one would pronounce foyer.

According the the katakana on the japanese version, Forte in Fortefighter, Fortetecher and Fortegunner should be pronounced (four-tay).

Edit: IMO, pronouncing the classes like FortFighter, and Fortgunner... It sounds incredibly retarded. The "ay" in there makes it flow better. Without it, it sounds very broken.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skuda on 2007-04-08 19:24 ]</font>

Foxix
Apr 9, 2007, 12:57 AM
Yikes, you should be glad my choir teacher has never heard you say "fort", she can be really evil sometimes.
Anyway I've always pronounced it "fort-ay" or when I read it as part of a bigger name "fort-eh fighter".

Anyway fort is the french pronunciation, unfortunatly here in the states we speak english where it's pronounced "fort-ay". Oh I'm not sure as to the proper pronunciation but I have always pronounced foie "foy/foi" and zonde "zond-eh" and diga "dii/dee- ga"

A2K
Apr 9, 2007, 01:11 AM
Hmm, learn something new (http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=forte&gwp=13#Dictionary) every day:

USAGE NOTE The word forte, coming from French fort, should properly be pronounced with one syllable, like the English word fort. Common usage, however, prefers the two-syllable pronunciation, (for-tay), which has been influenced possibly by the music term forte borrowed from Italian. In a recent survey a strong majority of the Usage Panel, 74 percent, preferred the two-syllable pronunciation. The result is a delicate situation; speakers who are aware of the origin of the word may wish to continue to pronounce it as one syllable but at an increasing risk of puzzling their listeners.

Personally I wouldn't say the Japanese pronunciation was absolute (although pretty darn close), at all. They have their share of oddities and Engrishy mishaps. The word "eureka" comes to mind.

QueenIce
Apr 9, 2007, 01:14 AM
Both ways of pronouncing Forte is correct.

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/forte

Main Entry: 1forte
Pronunciation: 'fort; 2 is often 'for-"tA or for-'tA or 'for-tE
Function: noun
Etymology: French fort, from fort, adjective, strong
1 : the part of a sword or foil blade that is between the middle and the hilt and that is the strongest part of the blade
2 : one's strong point
usage In forte we have a word derived from French that in its "strong point" sense has no entirely satisfactory pronunciation. Usage writers have denigrated 'for-"tA and 'for-tE because they reflect the influence of the Italian-derived 2forte. Their recommended pronunciation 'fort, however, does not exactly reflect French either: the French would write the word le fort and would rhyme it with English for. So you can take your choice, knowing that someone somewhere will dislike whichever variant you choose. All are standard, however. In British English 'fo-"tA and 'fot predominate; 'for-"tA and for-'tA are probably the most frequent pronunciations in American English.

Yaoguai
Apr 9, 2007, 06:57 AM
Wait wait theres a French word for strong??? Whats next? A French word for victory?

danny_o
Apr 9, 2007, 07:16 AM
On 2007-04-09 04:57, Yaoguai wrote:
Wait wait theres a French word for strong??? Whats next? A French word for victory?

OOH! BURN!

danny_o
Apr 17, 2007, 07:07 AM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2770591689127289648&q=jebus

Here it is! I was looking for this vid, but I forgot it was on Google Video, not YouTube.

Mwaha, tell me the French aren't hardcore after that!

C'est fort! C'est fort! C'est fort! C'est fort!

Garanz-Baranz
Apr 17, 2007, 07:14 AM
Atleast PS2/PCers don't have to concern themselfs with this proncunciation crap.

Only spelling!

Sychosis
Apr 17, 2007, 07:17 AM
Unless they are using Vent, or Teamspeak, or are conversing with real life friends...

Raysa
Apr 17, 2007, 07:19 AM
Yeah, I use Ventrilo ocasionally. I have said a few things wrong ;_;.

Sinue_v2
Apr 17, 2007, 09:13 AM
Forte - Fort, or For-tey, depending on the context.

Foie - Foi. I don't try to pronounce the E, though it comes out with the I sound. I still prefer to call the tech "Foi" even in type. I also tend to call Deband "Deban", or Shifta as "Shift".

Mewnie
Apr 17, 2007, 09:22 AM
who cares, really?

Yaoguai
Apr 17, 2007, 11:03 AM
Just no danny... Just no. Face it the game is Japanese not French. Its ForTAY not that it matters.

Gespar
Apr 17, 2007, 11:50 AM
Damn foie, Damn barta, Damn diga, Damn megid, Damn fortetecher. Damnit all!

Itsuki
Apr 17, 2007, 12:12 PM
On 2007-04-17 05:17, Sychosis wrote:
Unless they are using Vent, or Teamspeak, or are conversing with real life friends...

I usually don't care how they pronounce it, unless they say something completely wrong, like "mejid". Theres no J in that people. ~_~

But as people have already said, look at the japanese to see how its pronounced, since they write it phonetically (unlike english).

All of the buffs end in -ahl.
ag tahl
dehf bahl
zoh dee ahl
reh teh ahl

All the debuffs end in -eel.
ag deel
dehf deel
Zohl deel

The fortes are all spelled "forute". Or "Fohr teh".

And every vowel in foie is actually pronounced (though not that much) - "foh ee eh"

NPCMook
Apr 17, 2007, 12:34 PM
On 2007-04-17 10:12, Itsuki-chan wrote:

On 2007-04-17 05:17, Sychosis wrote:

I usually don't care how they pronounce it, unless they say something completely wrong, like "mejid". Theres no J in that people. ~_~

But as people have already said, look at the japanese to see how its pronounced, since they write it phonetically (unlike english).

All of the buffs end in -ahl.
ag tahl
dehf bahl
zoh dee ahl
reh teh ahl

All the debuffs end in -eel.
ag deel
dehf deel
Zohl deel

The fortes are all spelled "forute". Or "Fohr teh".

And every vowel in foie is actually pronounced (though not that much) - "foh ee eh"

So its Meg-id, and not Me-jid? to think I thought I finally corrected myself after so many years of pronouncing it correctly T_T

jayster
Apr 17, 2007, 01:20 PM
I say guy-dig-a and meh-jid. And I pronouce noze-dig-a. Then I say re-tire and di-band. Dig-a, pho-ie (foe)... it bugs me when people say meh-gid or die-ga whether they are right or wrong, I am just not used to it like that.

DikkyRay
Apr 17, 2007, 04:17 PM
On 2007-04-09 04:57, Yaoguai wrote:

You sir, have pwned an entire country. You deserve an award (sorry Zarb...)