PDA

View Full Version : I frown at today's youth's cartoons

MrNomad
Apr 9, 2007, 01:10 AM
Hello all, here to rant. 1st, I wanna say that im not someone who sits around watching cartoon network all the time. Instead, I change the channel to have a glimpse at what our youths are watching. Needless to say, I am a bit disappointed at how different, and in my opinion how lackluster cartoons have gotten in USA. I remember shows like Swat Cats and the 90s Batman and X-men as a kid, those cartoons were unbelievable to me for a few reasons. They had coo action, nice stories, originality, and great artwork. I remember passing by CN one day and noticing cartoons like Ben-10, Xaiolin Showdown, and Teen Titans, and really I hafta ask what happened to originality with american cartoons! Really, this is the best they have to offer? I dont even need to give separate reviews for these cartoons because they are so much the exact same. A story about kids with otherworldly powers working together to fight a group of villians. As if the generic story and concept wasnt enough, the artwork makes me disgusted! The art is like that of an American anime fans bad drawing. I hate how these cartoons take on a bad anime style and not a more original style. Thats my opinion anyways =P The End

Hucast-Kireek
Apr 9, 2007, 06:10 AM
Yes, they think people like Anime because of the style alone. America should keep doing Cartoons like they used to and Japan should keep Anime. No hybrids! please! As a matter of Fact, America should never ever! Dub Anime, most of the dubs made killed the fame of the Anime here in America.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hucast-Kireek on 2007-04-09 04:12 ]</font>

DraginHikari
Apr 9, 2007, 08:18 AM
If no one dubbed the things 95% of people would never watch them, alot of people don't particularly like learning a language to watch a television show and most people I've ever known saw there first anime as a dub.

PJ
Apr 9, 2007, 08:27 AM
Did you ever think new cartoons suck cause you're old?

The old cartoons really weren't that great either.

HUnewearl_Meira
Apr 9, 2007, 10:02 AM
Teen Titans is actually a really old concept, which I believe DC fired up back in the 70's. I'm not sure that it's really all that different from what we had when we were kids. When we were kids, the group of kids was typically a group of adults, but the otherworldly powers fighting a villain was pretty much the same. Remember Thundercats? Silverhawks? Transformers? GI Joe? If you want to generalize it that far down, then it's all pretty much the same. Of course, there are other things that maybe some of us would prefer not to remember-- Carebears, Rainbow Bright, Gloworms, Smurfs, Snorks, My Little Pony, and so on and so forth. I think the most sophisticated of the bunch were Transformers and GI Joe, but that's still not setting the bar very high.

Is Sponge Bob really all that much less intelligent than Ren and Stimpy?

At least the things that are meant to be more serious are getting better plots, now. Silverhawks was a serious cartoon in its day, and it featured people flying convertibles through outer space, and as a primary form of travel at that. Avatar, on the other hand, has a good, solid plot to it, along with a storyline you can get sucked into.

I don't think that cartoons have gotten worse, really. I think that on average, they're about the same; its just that the range of quality is much wider, now.

Skuda
Apr 9, 2007, 12:21 PM
Ben-10, Xaiolin Showdown, and Teen Titans really aren't that bad. There are a lot of MUCH worse cartoons out there. Sure, cartoons aren't as awesome as they were in the 80s and 90s, but you've got to think. Cartoons aren't being made for us anymore. They're being made for the younger kids. That makes me sad, but it's true.

Now if you're really looking for a great cartoon, check out Avatar. The very first two episodes are mediocre, but after that.. it's really just made of awesome. If I miss an episode on saturday morning, I'll wait up till 2 am to catch it. By then I've gotten so exited from the action, drama and awesome in the show, that I can't get back to sleep.

MaximusLight
Apr 9, 2007, 12:43 PM
On 2007-04-09 08:02, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
Teen Titans is actually a really old concept, which I believe DC fired up back in the 70's. I'm not sure that it's really all that different from what we had when we were kids. When we were kids, the group of kids was typically a group of adults, but the otherworldly powers fighting a villain was pretty much the same. Remember Thundercats? Silverhawks? Transformers? GI Joe? If you want to generalize it that far down, then it's all pretty much the same. Of course, there are other things that maybe some of us would prefer not to remember-- Carebears, Rainbow Bright, Gloworms, Smurfs, Snorks, My Little Pony, and so on and so forth. I think the most sophisticated of the bunch were Transformers and GI Joe, but that's still not setting the bar very high.

Is Sponge Bob really all that much less intelligent than Ren and Stimpy?

At least the things that are meant to be more serious are getting better plots, now. Silverhawks was a serious cartoon in its day, and it featured people flying convertibles through outer space, and as a primary form of travel at that. Avatar, on the other hand, has a good, solid plot to it, along with a storyline you can get sucked into.

I don't think that cartoons have gotten worse, really. I think that on average, they're about the same; its just that the range of quality is much wider, now.

Heck if I had the option I'd take back all of those for the good and the bad, I mean Transformers AND Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!?! How can you even compete with that. (I'll admit Advatar is getting there, somehow, that's scary in itself)

navci
Apr 9, 2007, 12:48 PM
On 2007-04-09 06:27, PJ wrote:

Man, growing up destroys magic.
I think PJ has a valid point though!

MaximusLight
Apr 9, 2007, 12:50 PM
On 2007-04-09 10:48, navci wrote:

Man, growing up destroys magic.
I think PJ has a valid point though!

If you go by that then all cartoons really sucked, but...

There is always Transformers the Movie ;p

roygbiv
Apr 9, 2007, 02:02 PM

it's truuuuueeeee

Scrub
Apr 9, 2007, 02:08 PM
I like cartoons nowadays, but I don't watch KIDS (5-15 years old stuff) and expect to be entertained, that's pretty stupid to do.

I watch cartoons like Futurama, Family Guys, Metalocalypse, Aqua Teen, the adult swim lineup has some pretty funny stuff on it that I like. I think a lot of them are just as good, or better, than the old cartoons I used to watch as a kid.

Retehi
Apr 9, 2007, 02:58 PM
Yeah, today's cartoons are just bad. I do like Fosters though, it's a step in the right direction.

Sayara
Apr 9, 2007, 04:32 PM
Those are not really cartoons scrub, they are animated sketches. (Sketch like a sketch in SNL).

They say Fosters is the best show in CN right now, might be right. Though i do miss the very very very low quality old ass cartoons that are so bad that they incorrectly use the voice overs on different characters and shit

Solstis
Apr 9, 2007, 04:33 PM
Fosters is witty sometimes, Avatar has some great animation/dialogue, and Spongebob has some crazy Avant Garde stuff going on. Family Guy is visually and mentally bankrupt in comparison.

Also, Futurama is amazing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2007-04-09 14:33 ]</font>

Firocket1690
Apr 10, 2007, 07:56 PM
My generation is better than yours. (http://www.aussiecitylife.com/captain-planet-heartbreak-high-and-other-reasons-my-generation-is-better-than-yours/)

Well, the 'previous' generation (mid 80s, early 90s) were still in the generation of a good amount of wwii propaganda. and then, the mid90s had a good bunch of cool cartoons and such, many of which held good morals behind them. and today's 2000+ stuff is basically animation, shit, and a failed attempt entertainment.

I do believe my point stands as to why there are so many 17~21 kids today reminiscing about the "old Nickelodeon" generation, missing their rugrats, AYAOTD?, Ren/Stimpy, Hey! Arnold, and the other stuff we/they grew up with.

On the other hand, every generation always thinks the new generation is shit, so it works, either way.

Although, I do discourage the recent boom in Japanese animation. Back in my day, we had our old anime dubs and translations. Now, companies liek Tokyopop, Geneon, ADV, and VIZ are licensing most of the Japanese series to have legal "official" translations, and directly promoting Japaneese culture/animation to American kids. There is a stronger demand for it, as well as Americans trying to grab a piece of the new market, resulting in shitty psuedoseries American made attempt at 'anime' This is where we have Boondocks, Avatar, and Jackie Chan Adventures, and probably a few more.

But I digress. Jackie Chan Adventures kicked ass.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firocket1690 on 2007-04-10 18:01 ]</font>

HUnewearl_Meira
Apr 10, 2007, 08:17 PM
I hear rumor that someone is putting together a new Thundercats series. I understand, however, that while some of the most vital things are basically the same, other things have been radically changed. Apparently, in this version the Thundercats are not only human, but in fact, a rock band that turns into the Thundercats. I'm also told that Snarf is supposed to be their leader.

Has anyone else heard about this? o_O;

If I can find a link, I'll edit it in.

DurakkenX
Apr 10, 2007, 10:35 PM
are you guys really that dumb?
thundercats, transformers, and voltron are all anime.
It's not a "new" trend, just more known.

As far as current shows being worse than older shows... that's just wrong graphically. Story-wise they are about equal or better than the older stuff. Get this they actually have on going stories...go figure.

Also...now knowing what I do about TMNT and reading some of the actual TMNT material the cartoon, while it didn't ruin TMNT they are FAR LESS entertaining than the newest series that is based on the actual storyline.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Apr 10, 2007, 10:57 PM
On 2007-04-10 17:56, Firocket1690 wrote:
This is where we have Boondocks, Avatar, and Jackie Chan Adventures, and probably a few more.

But I digress. Jackie Chan Adventures kicked ass.

Those are all enjoyable stuff.

Flipping the channels randomly sometimes I see stuff about Totally Spies, Magical witches, and other unappealing stuff modeled after cookie cutter anime.

Some of it might be better than others. Super Monkey Hyper Force Team go or whatever that one is called, Kim Possible, stuff like that I've heard aren't bad, modeled after anime or not.

But none of that is targeted towards me anyway.

I knew some family friends who had like an 8 year old kid asking me to buy him some Family Guy DVDs. He probably doesn't understand all the stuff that goes on in the show but wanted it anyway. So kids might not even be watching the latest Ninja Turtles or Xaiolin showdown anyway, regardless of quality.

HUnewearl_Meira
Apr 11, 2007, 01:13 AM
On 2007-04-10 20:35, DurakkenX wrote:

The original Transformers series was written and animated in the United States (though I believe most of the toys were designed in Japan by Takara), and Thundercats' creation is attributed to an American fellow named Ted Wolf. Not. Anime.

Voltron however, as far as I know, is anime.

What the fuck dude? Transformers and Thundercats doesn't even look like anime, whether from that period's style or any other.

MaximusLight
Apr 11, 2007, 01:16 AM
On 2007-04-10 23:13, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:

On 2007-04-10 20:35, DurakkenX wrote:

The original Transformers series was written and animated in the United States (though I believe most of the toys were designed in Japan by Takara), and Thundercats' creation is attributed to an American fellow named Ted Wolf. Not. Anime.

Voltron however, as far as I know, is anime.

What the fuck dude? Transformers and Thundercats doesn't even look like anime, whether from that period's style or any other.

Word Meria Word. Where did you here about this new Thundercats O_@; *shivers at the thought*

HUnewearl_Meira
Apr 11, 2007, 02:26 AM
My brother-in-law told me about it over the weekend, and then a guy that all but lives at his place showed me confirmation of the whole thing, yesterday.

Solstis
Apr 11, 2007, 08:06 AM
On 2007-04-11 00:26, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
My brother-in-law told me about it over the weekend, and then a guy that all but lives at his place showed me confirmation of the whole thing, yesterday.

And I thought that the Internet was killing off my childhood memories with a baseball bat. Why movie/cartoon/whatever industry, why?

I dunno, but Avatar's really funny. I think that I actually laughed at it. I mean, I never really laughed at Spongebob. The writers know what they're doing.

Also, the Japanese influence on American films extends back into the 80s, even with the non-animated sorts. For example, Mystery Train from 1989. A lot of the scenery and staging was from Japanese film techniques/blahblah.

HUnewearl_Meira
Apr 11, 2007, 10:15 AM
The influence goes the other way as well, though. For example, the movie, Bladerunner inspired Bubblegum Crisis.