PDA

View Full Version : What;s your favorite version of PSU?

Zantra
Apr 11, 2007, 11:03 AM
What's your favorite Version of PSU, and why?

CyarVictor
Apr 11, 2007, 11:05 AM
360 cause it's the version I own.
Actually cause my comp was broken and I have people i play with on the 360, some of which are now on PSU. I guess I can keep easy touch with em and I really don't want to install many programs on my comp now since it's geared for XSI and other programs for my works.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CyarVictor on 2007-04-11 09:07 ]</font>

ljkkjlcm9
Apr 11, 2007, 11:06 AM
Laptop ftw, so computer... I can play it in class!

THE JACKEL

Weeaboolits
Apr 11, 2007, 11:07 AM
PS2, as I can't afford a 360, or to upgrade my PC to play it.

Sychosis
Apr 11, 2007, 11:08 AM
On 2007-04-11 09:05, CyarVictor wrote:

Zantra
Apr 11, 2007, 11:15 AM
PS2, because it's the version I own.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zantra on 2007-04-11 09:15 ]</font>

A2K
Apr 11, 2007, 11:26 AM
I've been rather annoyed lately by the 360's controller setup (trigger functions should be on the bumpers and vice versa, damn it!) and the very presence of any slowdown on it, but regardless, it's the one I play on exclusively now and by extension, my favorite.

The PC version could probably benefit from a more fitting user interface and control scheme, and from what I've seen, the PS2 version can seem rougher around the edges than either of the other two.

But personally, I wouldn't consider the core experience to be drastically different all on any platform.

Zantra
Apr 11, 2007, 11:29 AM
On 2007-04-11 09:26, A2K wrote:
I've been rather annoyed lately by the 360's controller setup (trigger functions should be on the bumpers and vice versa, damn it!) and the very presence of any slowdown on it, but regardless, it's the one I play on exclusively now and by extension, my favorite.

The PC version could probably benefit from a more fitting user interface and control scheme, and from what I've seen, the PS2 version can seem rougher around the edges than either of the other two.

But personally, I wouldn't consider the core experience to be drastically different all on any platform.

So, do you think that the ultimate version, would be the PC version, with an Xbox 360 controller?

A2K
Apr 11, 2007, 11:42 AM
I was speaking mostly of the game clients alone, to be honest. There are more factors to consider such as the community and economy, computer desk versus couch, etc.

If I had a PC capable of running the game at 60 FPS with all the effects on, maybe. Then again for the Xbox 360 version, I could say "if I had an HDTV." Personally, I feel "more at home" on a console than in my chair.

Weeaboolits
Apr 11, 2007, 11:46 AM
On 2007-04-11 09:42, A2K wrote:
Personally, I feel "more at home" on a console than in my chair.

Too true, that's why I stick to consoles, that and I don't like dealing with system requirements, if I buy a PS2 game, I KNOW my PS2 can run it.

Rashiid
Apr 11, 2007, 11:51 AM
360 yay!

BahnKnakyu
Apr 11, 2007, 11:56 AM
Illuminus Beta.

Midicronica
Apr 11, 2007, 12:15 PM
On 2007-04-11 09:08, Sychosis wrote:

Cz
Apr 11, 2007, 12:21 PM
PC cause i can listen to my music while turning off the annoying game's sound effect, and i can check on the website quicker.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BunnyGirl on 2007-04-11 10:21 ]</font>

TorterraEndor
Apr 11, 2007, 12:23 PM
PC cause I can play in 3 rooms in this house, soon 4. Without moving anything around.

But so not voting cause this won't end well.

watashiwa
Apr 11, 2007, 12:36 PM
I'm all about the Pee Cizzle, my nizzles!

VanHalen
Apr 11, 2007, 12:53 PM
PC version. Since I don't have the money to buy a PS2 or 360.

Sychosis
Apr 11, 2007, 12:55 PM
On 2007-04-11 10:53, VanHalen wrote:

5 finger discount, yo.

Just don't try it with a PC. It won't end well... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

EDIT: And before you say it, I know, 4 fingers and a thumb, yeah yeah.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sychosis on 2007-04-11 10:56 ]</font>

VanHalen
Apr 11, 2007, 12:58 PM
On 2007-04-11 10:55, Sychosis wrote:

On 2007-04-11 10:53, VanHalen wrote:

5 finger discount, yo.

Just don't try it with a PC. It won't end well... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

EDIT: And before you say it, I know, 4 fingers and a thumb, yeah yeah.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sychosis on 2007-04-11 10:56 ]</font>

Yeah it could. I could throw the keyboard around my neck (Flava flav got nothin' on me), throw the mouse in my pocket, put the moniter......the computer in my hands and there!

Or just take a 360 or PS2. That's kinda easier.

CyarVictor
Apr 11, 2007, 01:03 PM
Remeber to use your local register-biscuit to open the display glass with their head before 'purchasing' you 360/ps2.

j/k lol

Zantra
Apr 11, 2007, 01:17 PM
On 2007-04-11 10:23, TorterraEndor wrote:
PC cause I can play in 3 rooms in this house, soon 4. Without moving anything around.

But so not voting cause this won't end well.

This is just a way to find out, who plays what version, basically.

DEM_CIG
Apr 11, 2007, 02:46 PM
360 version thats the only on i have...

Zantra
Apr 11, 2007, 07:05 PM
So, at least from this poll's results so far, it seems that more people play on PS2/PC, then on Xbox 360. I was lead to believe the opposite.

PJ
Apr 11, 2007, 07:13 PM
I play on the PS2 version, but PC is far and above my favourite. High-settings, high graphics just looks AMAZING. And since they're all the same game, at that point, it's about what looks awesome, with the snapshots.

Now all I need is a rocking-tastic computer that can run it faster than 1 FPS.

NPCMook
Apr 11, 2007, 07:18 PM
360 because I hauked my PS2 and PC

VanHalen
Apr 11, 2007, 07:20 PM
On 2007-04-11 17:18, NPCMook wrote:

Wait then how are you typing?

Zantra
Apr 12, 2007, 01:43 AM
He might be using a Wii... I actually posted this poll today, using my brother's Wii.

omegapirate2k
Apr 12, 2007, 01:44 AM
On 2007-04-11 09:08, Sychosis wrote:

Shaidar
Apr 12, 2007, 01:55 AM
PC? Only one I've tried.

Kent
Apr 12, 2007, 02:29 AM

Control scheme works perfectly, and doesn't require third-party drivers to get the triggers working on the 360 controller (it does with the PC version).

I don't own the 360 version, however, I did play the beta for it, which has pretty much the exact amount of unlocked game content as the full version did at launch.

Also, the 360 version doesn't run like ass on a computer that should be more than powerful enough to blaze through a game of that graphical quality, without a hitch. Damn you, EB Games, for not accepting returns on PC games that don't have CD Keys. :/

And then, of course, it's easier to pull up a website to check something quick, specifically because I'm not running it on my computer, so that's a plus. Oh, and custom soundtrack support, in case I get sick of PSU's slightly-bland music.

Not to mention, I specifically don't like the PC/PS2 economy, as of the last time I played... And I've heard good things about the 360 version's. I'll be getting Ambitions of Illuminus on that.

...And Xbox Live, as a service, is pure ownage.

DEM_CIG
Apr 12, 2007, 07:27 AM
On 2007-04-11 17:20, VanHalen wrote:

On 2007-04-11 17:18, NPCMook wrote:

Wait then how are you typing?

Might be using a psp

DEM_CIG
Apr 12, 2007, 07:28 AM
Why is I hate PSU up on the poll... if people did they would be on this form...

OnnaWren
Apr 12, 2007, 11:36 AM
None. I traded my (PS2) copy in when I found that the Story and Extra Modes are severely limited. Only got $15 for it in credit. Suckies. Maybe I'll pick it up again when it drops to $20 (yeah, I know, that's about a $40-or-so loss, but, hey, I'm a Phantasy Star completist. Whatcha gonna do?)...

CyarVictor
Apr 12, 2007, 11:41 AM
On 2007-04-12 00:29, Kent wrote:

I'm actually do not like XBox Live that much. The whole rep system is there for people to abuse and cause others to be banned for a week. I mean, I got bad rep'd cause of a dude I partied with when he got booted for dying, and I wasn't even the leader. I've also got bad rep'd in my own room cause i ddin't give a guy with a lame me sob story a free ank barde just because i synth them at the time. It's a poor poor part of Live that bugs me other than the constant game invites to games i don't play or own..... I do like Live, just there are things that don't give it the title of ownage.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CyarVictor on 2007-04-12 09:42 ]</font>

ayrista
Apr 12, 2007, 11:48 AM
On 2007-04-11 10:21, BunnyGirl wrote:
PC cause i can listen to my music while turning off the annoying game's sound effect, and i can check on the website quicker.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BunnyGirl on 2007-04-11 10:21 ]</font>

i agree, i have pc - bgm + pandora.com for music. and its nice to flip around the web now and then while you play.

SuperRygar
Apr 12, 2007, 11:58 AM
On 2007-04-11 17:05, Zantra wrote:
So, at least from this poll's results so far, it seems that more people play on PS2/PC, then on Xbox 360. I was lead to believe the opposite.

the title is "favorite platform" someone could be playing on Xbox but say they like the PC version better. so this poll wouldnt be accurate in saying what version ppl play

i play on ps2, but i would rather be playing on PC. and to say which platform is the favorite, a person would have to see all 3. not likely. but hey, post count +1, whoo! ^.^

Sekani
Apr 12, 2007, 08:50 PM

More people here play on PC. Last I checked 360 does have more people overall.

And changing the BGM is not a PC-exclusive feature either, just so you know.

BahnKnakyu
Apr 13, 2007, 09:45 PM

That's because the people who post the most are the Xbox 360 guys. It just looks like a lot because the same group of 5-10 players post/spam a lot.

BahnKnakyu
Apr 13, 2007, 09:52 PM
Doh, double post.

Also, the 360 version doesn't run like ass on a computer that should be more than powerful enough to blaze through a game of that graphical quality, without a hitch. Damn you, EB Games, for not accepting returns on PC games that don't have CD Keys. :/

This is incorrect. I've personally seen footage of people slowing down on the Xbox360 version. This same slowdown happens if your computer on the PC side has difficulty maintaining 60 fps. The Xbox 360 version is ALWAYS on Frameskip 0 and will always attempt to animate in 60 fps, even if the console itself cannot handle it. When it can't handle it, instead of skipping frames, it will "wait" for the animation to finish, so you end up getting the matrix effect and virtual gameplay performance *worse* than on a PS2 or midrange PC.

And then, of course, it's easier to pull up a website to check something quick, specifically because I'm not running it on my computer, so that's a plus. Oh, and custom soundtrack support, in case I get sick of PSU's slightly-bland music.

Naw - run PSU in windowed mode and the first point is moot. And turning off the music and jamming it up in Winamp is virtually the same as custom soundtrack support.

Not to mention, I specifically don't like the PC/PS2 economy, as of the last time I played... And I've heard good things about the 360 version's. I'll be getting Ambitions of Illuminus on that.

It's essentially the Xbox 360's economy, with more 0's tacked at the end of it. Granted, there is a benefit to the hAxEtA - everyone has a chance at getting decent equipment. Everyone can get good stuff to outfit all their characters, which leaves the only difference between me and the random player out there to be skill, instead of how many UBARZ one can get... which PSO was flawed for (Excalibarks in PSOBB phail IMO).

This I cannot debate - Microsoft's XBox Live is a really polished service, and I do hope Sega Team takes a page from MS's book the next time they introduce a billing system.

RedX
Apr 13, 2007, 09:58 PM
PC. Why? because i like playing with my keyboard >.>. I tried a PS2 controller, a 360 and other random game pads my friends had, and i still liked my keyboard the most. That and screen shots that don't look like Sh*t.

APEXi
Apr 13, 2007, 09:59 PM
own both the 360 and pc versions. 360's graphics slowdown(not network lag/high ping) aggrivated me to no end. i have a pretty decent PC, alienware,4gb ram, radeon1900xtx, blah blah - runs everything flawless. for a while i was kinda miffed about lack of voice in the pc/ps2 version, but its an easy workaround if you have friends you play with on a regular basis if you use teamspeak/ventrilo or xfire. i use a usb 360 pad with XBCD drivers to recreate the 360 feel, official drivers a re crap in the game. so anyway, as far as the game itself is concerned the PC version is tops, but i really hate the majority of people on the pc/ps2 side. only downside for me going pc over 360 is some friends play exclusively on their box for whatever reason. oh well, can alwasy catch up through gears or war or vegas

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: APEXi on 2007-04-13 20:04 ]</font>

Kent
Apr 13, 2007, 11:27 PM
On 2007-04-13 19:52, BahnKnakyu wrote:
Doh, double post.

This is incorrect. I've personally seen footage of people slowing down on the Xbox360 version. This same slowdown happens if your computer on the PC side has difficulty maintaining 60 fps. The Xbox 360 version is ALWAYS on Frameskip 0 and will always attempt to animate in 60 fps, even if the console itself cannot handle it. When it can't handle it, instead of skipping frames, it will "wait" for the animation to finish, so you end up getting the matrix effect and virtual gameplay performance *worse* than on a PS2 or midrange PC.

Really? 'Cause the beta sure ran smoothly on my 360. 6-person parties, in areas packed with layers of 2D objects alpha-ing all over each other (such as Parum or Neudaiz) and techniques and PAs flying everywhere, with no problems at all. Though it's understood that the 360 is basically emulating a badly-programmed PS2 game, I won't say slowdown isn't possible. I've yet to see any signs of it at all, though, in the areas that gave my PC the most trouble.

Naw - run PSU in windowed mode and the first point is moot. And turning off the music and jamming it up in Winamp is virtually the same as custom soundtrack support.

As a general rule, I have other equipment play music if I'm in the mood for music different than what a game offers, simply because games like PSU actually choke my computer if I try to task-switch to/from them even in Windowed mode. It's not that my computer sucks - I mean, it can churn out FFXI with everything maxed except shadows, and maintain a high framerate. Winamp, actually does eat up more CPU power - on the 360, there's CPU power reserved specifically for these things. If I'm playing a PC game, I prefer to run very little in the background. Personal preference.

That's just me personally, but I really hate having to task-switch out of games. Bogs down my entire system.

It's essentially the Xbox 360's economy, with more 0's tacked at the end of it. Granted, there is a benefit to the hAxEtA *snip*

Legit onry. Illegitimate means of getting money ruin online games such as this (namely, the economies), and just make it horrible to play.

A2K
Apr 14, 2007, 04:34 AM
On 2007-04-12 09:41, CyarVictor wrote:
I'm actually do not like XBox Live that much. The whole rep system is there for people to abuse and cause others to be banned for a week. I mean, I got bad rep'd cause of a dude I partied with when he got booted for dying, and I wasn't even the leader. I've also got bad rep'd in my own room cause i ddin't give a guy with a lame me sob story a free ank barde just because i synth them at the time. It's a poor poor part of Live that bugs me other than the constant game invites to games i don't play or own..... I do like Live, just there are things that don't give it the title of ownage.

You aren't banned from Xbox Live based on player reviews (which in turn typically affect your profile's reputation). What will get you banned, though, is the "File Complaint" option, which is expressly for terms of service/code of conduct violation.

This is more a matter of personal preference, but although the 360 version shouldn't slowdown at all, the difference between it and the PS2 version is that when 360 slows down, it goes from 60 FPS to 30, but when the PS2 slows down, it starts off at 30 and dips even lower. As far as slowdown is concerned, I'd rather have the former than the latter--optimally not at all, of course, but what can you do...