PDA

View Full Version : I feel old O.o

JediSange
Apr 12, 2007, 01:04 AM
Well, the reason I say this is because I played the original PSO on the DC "back in the day" when it was still online. I know a lot of you have, and that's awesome. But do any of you guys continue with the series by playing PSU?

See, I love MMOs. It's fun to level a character, play with a group, ect. FFXI I played for like.. ever. It was fun. WoW is not deep enough, and the PSU game caught my eye because it was... you know... PSU.

So here is my question: Is this worth playing if you beat the mess out of PSO for the GC? I picked PSU on the first day for my PS2. It was ok, but there was only like 1 mission. So have they added more content? It seemed just like a button masher to me, and there were no good rares out. One of the attractions about PSO was the rare hunting. I was one of the poor saps to get a legit Sealed-J...

Anyways, I have a 360 now as well, but most of my friends I'd play it with are on the PS2. So should I bother getting into it again if I 'mastered' PSO (not trying to be arrogant ; http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif? Are there more missions and content? What system should I get it for? and did they finally add in some decent rares?

OriginalCloud
Apr 12, 2007, 01:12 AM
i was on PSO DC day 1.

i strongly recommend psu to anyone.
its worth it bro

pionear
Apr 12, 2007, 01:13 AM
Well, PSU is the first online MMO for me (played PSO, but never went online because it was hacked to death) and now with the new update coming on Friday, there should be alot to do.

There are more people on the 360 than PS2/PC, but there are enough people to party with and have some fun.

Plus, the expansion is hopefully coming soon to the US, so maybe you would like to get a little head start with the leveling and such.

JediSange
Apr 12, 2007, 01:16 AM
Awesome, thanks for the quick replies guys. I'm gonna think on it a bit more and ask around as to which people are playing. I guess it depends on how this beta for "Sword of the New World" goes though. If that sucks then it's totally PSU -- and probably for the 360.

FUFME
Apr 12, 2007, 01:30 AM
You feel old? Ive been playing Video games since the late 1970's when the Odyssey˛ came out.

I grew up using the Commodore Vic-20/64 and Apple ][

Kent
Apr 12, 2007, 02:05 AM
(PSO/U aren't MMO, by the way)

PSO was one of the more inspiring games I've come across. Despite the Diablo-style nature of the game, it was quite the artistic achievement. In addition to that, it was just plain fun, and the characters were actually diverse and different from each other, despite being clumped into three general groups, all of the subtypes had a distinctly different way of doing things. 'Twas nice; especially since you could have a character of any concievable type, right off the bat.

...That and, you know, it kept me playing for a good five years straight. That certainly amounts to something.

As for PSU, it's nice and all, and I'm looking forward again to playing, once the expansion comes out... But from what I can tell, the PS2/PC economy is screwed to hell, and the 360 one, from what I've heard, well, isn't.

PrinceBrightstar
Apr 12, 2007, 02:13 AM
You may be old, but you're not ancient like those of us who played the classic series.

StanleyPain
Apr 12, 2007, 02:21 AM
I was on PSO since release day, through v.2. Didn't play it online when Episode 2 came out, but got sucked into offline.

I personally think PSU is a nice extension of what PSO was. It's not as good in some aspects, but then, in many areas where PSO lacked, PSU makes significant improvements. I think anyone who enjoyed PSO, even if it wasn't for hardcore years of play like us old-schoolers, would like the extension of what PSU brings to the experience.

I'm very satisfied with it, I only wish that my old gaming group from the PSO days (who I actually still keep in touch with) weren't so damn anti-360 and MMO nowadays.

-Shimarisu-
Apr 12, 2007, 02:42 AM
I too have been playing videogames since the late 70s! :D

Shut the fuck up! :D

Kent
Apr 12, 2007, 03:07 AM
On 2007-04-12 00:42, -Shimarisu- wrote:
I too have been playing videogames since the late 70s! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Shut the fuck up! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

We all love you, too, Shimarisu.

Zarbolord
Apr 12, 2007, 03:10 AM
It is worth it, trust me, I'm excited for this friday's update http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Finally some decent cast clothing http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Raysa
Apr 12, 2007, 03:11 AM
I started playing video games in the Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis era, but yes PSU is extremely fun and laid back. I think I might spend the next year or so on this MMORPG.

infected
Apr 12, 2007, 03:19 AM
I've been playing video games since I was 2 and I got a NES.

I just turned 21 on the 9th.

I recommend PSU... I like it... though I might wait for expansion .

petruseden
Apr 12, 2007, 03:33 AM
PSU is worth it now ... With the expansion it will get even better...

Yes it is a "button masher" if you turn it into one, but all you have to do is go to the guides section to see there is alot more to the game than meets the eye. You'll get more satisfaction if you try to experience PSU as a total package, rather than just one small niche area. Such as ONLY using green weapons on your mad dash to 80+ .. Youll pull your hair out if you try synthing, grinding, rare board and material hunting (I find making weaponry to be very enjoyable). The list goes on.

It can seem small (at times) if you are only looking at it from a PSO perspective. PSU requires a fresh set of eyes and a clear perspective to truely appreciate it; once that happens the doors of enjoyment fly open.

Its different from PSO to say the least, and I was playing it since DC first came out. PSU felt like simultanious step forward and step backward, but with each passing day I find myself enjoying PSU more and more ... With AoI coming out, it may, perhaps, finally be the fix I needed to put my sentiment for PSO to rest. One, afterall, can only hope.

I hoped my two cents helped.

DEM_CIG
Apr 12, 2007, 07:16 AM
I never played PSO so i cant compare the 2 games... but I do like to play PSU (Demo) so when i get my 1st paycheck ill be able to play the real game online... and even though it is a button masher it is still deep enough to keep me playin.

Aremaitch
Apr 12, 2007, 08:39 AM
I've got you all beat. I started playing video games on an Atari 2600 (and the first computer game I played was a Star Wars style game on my high school's mainframe in the late 70's.)

I never played PSO either; started with the PSU beta on the 360. I don't get to play as often as some other people do so I've yet to be bored. New content has always been ahead of me.

JediSange
Apr 12, 2007, 09:13 AM
Wow, I totally remember why I came back to these boards. =)

On GameFAQs my responses would've been:
"Go read FAQs and websites nub... lol... u r teh sux."

This community has always been so amazing and I thank you guys for the responses. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Like I said, if this Sword of the New world beta doesn't work out I'm probably coming back to PSU. Thanks a lot fellas.

Zarbolord
Apr 12, 2007, 09:21 AM
Nya http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Dhylec
Apr 12, 2007, 09:32 AM
On 2007-04-12 07:13, JediSange wrote:
Wow, I totally remember why I came back to these boards. =)

On GameFAQs my responses would've been:
"Go read FAQs and websites nub... lol... u r teh sux."

This community has always been so amazing and I thank you guys for the responses. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Like I said, if this Sword of the New world beta doesn't work out I'm probably coming back to PSU. Thanks a lot fellas.

It's just saying that there is more to the game than just button smashing. ;]

PSO, now PSU, are fun & lasted for a long while because of the community behind them. PSOW has always been a major part of the community. ;]

-Rune-
Apr 12, 2007, 09:38 AM
I dun have anyone beat but my first games I played were on something called TI99-4A, It was a computer made by Texas Intruments. I taught myself how to make crappy little games with help from my dad on that thing. Was awesome. Then i moved up from that to tandy, sega master system, commodore, atari. Then everyone else knows the rest of the order after that. Good times....

ZodiacNKnight
Apr 12, 2007, 10:41 AM
I was around when PSO hit DC...
If you want to get into PSU I would highly recommend getting the expansion that's coming soon.
It has a lot of nostalgic PSO memories...

I even still play the music from PSO over the PSU Music. It's really something playing HIVE or LLS and hearing Ruins again.
Playing Parum greenlands and hearing Forest1 for the first time in a few years...

I just wish we had damn GO GO Ball... T-T

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ZodiacNKnight on 2007-04-12 08:44 ]</font>

chibiLegolas
Apr 12, 2007, 11:17 AM
IMO, PSO was more fun than PSU.
Both games are similiar enough to each other, but the changes in PSU kinda makes it less fun overall to me.
The introduction of player/npc death to demote your ranking ALL the time forces everyone to watch each others backs (which is a good thing). But at the same time, it looses that goofy fun of a more laid back casual feeling and laughing off simple things as deaths in the game (compared to PSO). Now when someone dies without scapes, you get blacklisted, shunned on, and/or booted out.
What happened to the good old times when everyone just laughed at the stupid crits and situations that would kill all of us eventually?

And to get the most MP to achieve S (for class experience), you'd have to form a team BEFORE you hopped into a mission room. The joy of just jumping into random rooms for a quick game has lessened.

The amount and size of lobbies to hang out in are inourmous compared to PSO. So it's quite overwelming and confusing the fist time on. And everyone's dispersed all over, finding ppl a bit difficult to game together. (well, cause of the PS2/PC population). And what makes it worse is the fact that you'll have to advance through certain missions to reach different lobbies. I see the reasoning over this with ST. Afterall, you didn't have access to ruins in PSO without activating the special pillars and to reach forest 2, you'd have to finish forest 1, and so on. But the structure of lobbies and missions as of now, makes it HARDER to get a random quick game together, and start hacking away.

And that's what I liked PSO so much back in the day. The casual feel of picking up the controller, going into a universal lobby where most ppl are centralized in. Make a room, and ppl will come, no matter what class you were, you can still hold your own and hack away. Someone got sloppy and died? No biggie. Just run over and use a moon, and continue hacking. Got to go? Sign off at any time, no biggie.

PSU isn't quite like that anymore.
But I hear that the little tweeks in the expansion pack fixes these flaws. So I'm glad they're reverting certain aspects back to the way PSO was.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chibiLegolas on 2007-04-12 09:20 ]</font>

StanleyPain
Apr 12, 2007, 11:23 AM
I think the important thing, and something most board members would do well to remember, is to note that PSU is not as "simple" or newbie friendly as PSO was, in my opinion. The game isn't all that well documented and, for many players, it takes reading FAQs and asking questions to just to get themselves started. So, if you're new to the game, ask questions and ask them frequently because there's a lot of people (me included) who remember what it was like to have not been obsessively reading stuff about the game, then to walk into the beta demo going "Huh? How's this work?" Most of us, though some would care not to admit it, were newbies too.

OnnaWren
Apr 12, 2007, 11:25 AM
Been playing since 1975-ish ('76? '77?) and the Pong standalone console... have owned (or at least had hands-on, such as with the Pioneer LaserActive and the Phillips CD-i) virtually every system at one time or another (including a Neo*Geo AES) except the current-gen systems (PS3, Wii, 360, PSP, DS). As for those, they will come, in time. I've just got too much backlog to play and too little scratch to bother for now. My collection was decimated by theft in 2004, and I only have a PS2, DC, GC, and GBA for the time being.

Yah, I feel old, too.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OnnaWren on 2007-04-12 09:26 ]</font>

CyarVictor
Apr 12, 2007, 11:25 AM
Everyone was a newbie at one point or time. I doubt there are actually 'masters' of any game.

Akaimizu
Apr 12, 2007, 11:28 AM
Hmm. Congrats OnnaWren, you got me on that one. I was definitely post-original Pong. I came in around the Atari 2600 revolution.

"The fun is back, oh yessiree. It's the 2600 from A-tar-i."

Weeaboolits
Apr 12, 2007, 11:34 AM
I started with an NES and a simple Pong-only thing, no clue what that was called though...
My favorite game on my NES was Mario Brothers (not super, the one like the War minigame in SMB3)

StanleyPain
Apr 12, 2007, 11:37 AM
My first home gaming was on the TImex Syntax. Ever heard of it? Probably not. It was an early clone/rebranded version of the Sinclair Syntax (Spectrum) and it looked like this:
http://www.computercloset.org/Timex-Sinclair_1000.jpg

It predated the Atari 2600 and that generation of home entertainment by a few years, but that's what I cut my teeth on. It was programmable in BASIC, so you could do something basic things with it. The tiny keyboard was a pain, though.

Akaimizu
Apr 12, 2007, 11:39 AM
Funny enough, the original Mario Brothers game released on a system pre-NES. I used to have a lot of fun with Mario Brothers, on the Atari 5200. That, and it had the best home version of Pacman before the Commodore 64 came out with the first true arcade-worthy port of it.

And nice thing about the Timex. I never heard of it before the precise Timex Sinclair model (that post-dated the Atari 2600) came out. The early revision (pre-2600), I never saw.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-04-12 09:42 ]</font>

OnnaWren
Apr 12, 2007, 11:41 AM
Hmm. Heard of it, but then again, I never really got into the whole hybrid computer/video game thing. Same with the Commodores, Atari ST(?) etc. I cut my teeth on Apple IIe BASIC, and it got old after a while. Too much effort for too little payoff, IMO. Maybe I just bored easily as a kid...

Akaimizu
Apr 12, 2007, 11:48 AM
Actually, the hybrids included Apple Computers, at the time. Amiga (though a later machine circa 1985)actually started the whole true multitasking thing (for the home market) that *all* desktop-level computers do today. Back then, they were technically the pioneers to everything that is Computer gaming today. While the IBM PC existed, back then. Apple and Commodore were first in line to break through to better graphics more suitable for gaming.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-04-12 09:49 ]</font>

Weeaboolits
Apr 12, 2007, 11:48 AM
The first game I played was Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt on my NES.

chibiLegolas
Apr 12, 2007, 11:49 AM
Sometimes I feel old. Depends on the group I'm hanging out with. But team members eventually ask, and I lay down an age range. Hearing my voice on psox you can tell I'm female. But a few player still find it surprising that I'm married. I guess with my name, you'd assume I'm a raving young teenage girl who's head over heals for that actor from Lord of the Rings. Well, actually, I've had this name back in PSO ver.1 on DC. Way BEFORE the movies were released! And I was reading the books at the time.
It's crazy to see ppl FINALLY reconize what my name meant once the movies came out.
I kinda liked it when ppl had no clue what it meant....

Well, I'll always have Kelemvorite. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

ayrista
Apr 12, 2007, 11:52 AM
Seems like the first game i played was a game called lode runner, it was a pc game (MSDOS). This was prob 1982 or so. First game I actually wanted to play over and over again anyway.

but dont feel old. Half of the people on my team are in their 30's, im 38

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ayrista on 2007-04-12 09:55 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ayrista on 2007-04-12 09:57 ]</font>

Akaimizu
Apr 12, 2007, 11:52 AM
I get people surprised by my age, partially because I'm a natural tenor, and that I also can do voices. Unless I'm trying hard, I will likely sound young permanently.

DEM_CIG
Apr 12, 2007, 09:05 PM
On 2007-04-12 09:48, Ronin_Cooper wrote:
The first game I played was Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt on my NES.

Me to... those r the best games ever...nes was my 1st system... i played games since i was 4 yrs. old

DarkEliteRico
Apr 12, 2007, 11:15 PM
On 2007-04-12 07:38, -Rune- wrote:
I dun have anyone beat but my first games I played were on something called TI99-4A, It was a computer made by Texas Intruments. I taught myself how to make crappy little games with help from my dad on that thing. Was awesome. Then i moved up from that to tandy, sega master system, commodore, atari. Then everyone else knows the rest of the order after that. Good times....

What's odd is my both my grandfather and my father worked for Texas Instruments back in the day, we still have it in the closet collecting dust. Now those were nice self programed games and who didn't love Burger Time!!!!

pineapple
Apr 12, 2007, 11:36 PM
I don't necessarily feel old when i play in groups. More mature... yes.

Reginaldo
Apr 13, 2007, 01:10 AM
I was 15 when I bought PSO on Dreamcast in 2001. I just turned 21 a few weeks ago..and I don't see myself quitting PSU anytime soon.

FUFME
Apr 13, 2007, 01:50 AM
On 2007-04-12 09:52, ayrista wrote:
Seems like the first game i played was a game called lode runner, it was a pc game (MSDOS). This was prob 1982 or so. First game I actually wanted to play over and over again anyway.

but dont feel old. Half of the people on my team are in their 30's, im 38

I remember Loderunner very well and still have some "floppy" discs for the Commodore boxed away.