PDA

View Full Version : I think I know why this game leaves me unsatisfied.

Zorafim
Apr 12, 2007, 05:13 PM
As I played through the game, I noticed that it was missing a certain something.
Was it the fun? No, the fun was there, though it left out something...
Visuals? Nope, this game had that too. But there was still a hint of dissatisfaction in me...
Music? There's something missing here, but the quality in music is similar to PSO's...
Gameplay? Nope, this is what I'm most happy with.

So what was it that I was missing? After 155 offline levels and 70 levels online of playing the game, I finally figured out what it was I was longing for.
Epic.

This game is missing epic. It's fun, but the fun isn't epic. It looks cool, but it doesn't look epic. The music is decent, but it just doesn't have the epic. But the gameplay, that at least has epic.

This game just isn't epic enough. Instead of fighting for our civilization's life, we're fighting for its comfort. Instead of listening to music that creeps us out or pumps us up, we're listening to music that cheers us on. Instead of looking at our demise, we're looking at part of our next paycheck.
Though we do have explosions and special attacks of extreme discombobulation, which is all anyone could ask for in epic gameplay.

I vote that the game gets more epic, the epic that it needs. Dulk Fakis epic, even. Give more epic!

Retehi
Apr 12, 2007, 05:14 PM
gb2PSO

PJ
Apr 12, 2007, 05:15 PM
To make up a reason, I give you kudos.

Epic IS a fun word.

Zorafim
Apr 12, 2007, 05:15 PM
FFXI, but close enough.

Flwl3ssCowboy
Apr 12, 2007, 05:16 PM
On 2007-04-12 15:13, Zorafim wrote:
Dulk Fakis epic, even. Give more epic!

VH-Ult Dark Falz epic tyvm

> Dulk Fakis epic

-Shimarisu-
Apr 12, 2007, 05:16 PM
PSO is garbage.

Skuda
Apr 12, 2007, 05:19 PM
Holy crap... I think the right hemisphere for my brain just died due to over use of the word epic.

To be frank, Epic isn't epic anymore. It's WAY overused and on the way to becoming some lame buzz word.

Zorafim
Apr 12, 2007, 05:19 PM
Yes, Dark Falz was epic. I do agree with this. But you just have to love standing on a glowing runic symble while a snakelike god is throwing planets at you. Now that's epic.
*if only I could hit him...*

RadiantLegend
Apr 12, 2007, 05:20 PM
Indeed.

Remember how it felt getting close to olga flow on pso? Or the last floor on PW4?

Retehi
Apr 12, 2007, 05:21 PM
Remember when people would actually move on?

Zorafim
Apr 12, 2007, 05:26 PM
I'm thinking more along the lines of just about anything in most RPGs, rather than PSO or the PS series in general (though they did tend to be hugely epic). Comparing their epicitude with the general atmosphere of PSU, I do have to admit that PSU is lacking in it.
All I ask is more demons and more main characters dieing. The dragons are a nice touch, but even they are missing epic.

ShinMaruku
Apr 12, 2007, 05:30 PM
So the game lacks atmousphere eh? Blame Sonic Team for not growing and changing.

Mewnie
Apr 12, 2007, 05:31 PM
You want it all but you can't have it

It's in your face but you can't grab it

What is it?

It's it

What is it?.

R2D6battlebot
Apr 12, 2007, 05:35 PM
After 233 evels of online play, i think the only thing this game really needs is something to hunt, rather than people saying 'dude i want to hunt this unit that takes too long to get' or 'i need to farm vulcalines so i can attempt to make a 9* weapon thats exactly the same as everyone elses (save maybe a differing % for melees)' PSO had so many items that were just funny, and others that were broken and not too hard to find at all, this game anything considered even decent (Tero/Legs for example) is too hard to come by, and there are only 69 rare weapons, all of which are the same as the one before it except with a different name and slightly better stats. /weak

Sychosis
Apr 12, 2007, 05:36 PM
I can't get any satisfaction from PSU either.

The hole in the disc is too small http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cry.gif

Zorafim
Apr 12, 2007, 05:38 PM
I don't know. I think a musical crescendo and a few more massacres, as well as some exploding cities maybe be in order. Also, random floating crystal continent that houses a couple of demi-gods.

PJ
Apr 12, 2007, 05:39 PM
On 2007-04-12 15:26, Zorafim wrote:

All I ask is more demons and more main characters dieing. The dragons are a nice touch, but even they are missing epic.

OOH

If Laia becoems the main character of AoI story, she could TOTALLY die!

For once, a good idea is born!

ShinMaruku
Apr 12, 2007, 05:41 PM
Ethan is a demi-god.. XD Seriously the man is broken.

Raysa
Apr 12, 2007, 05:42 PM
Yeah, a more epic game would be nice, but you know whatever. It is what it is.

ShinMaruku
Apr 12, 2007, 05:47 PM
On 2007-04-12 15:39, PJ wrote:

On 2007-04-12 15:26, Zorafim wrote:

OOH

If Laia becoems the main character of AoI story, she could TOTALLY die!

For once, a good idea is born!

But she's Ethan's sister and he'd get pissed and give into the seed side...
I say let the bitch live. I claim her to be the ghetto sistah of the game....
I swear the beatss are this games vison of black people.... I wish I where in the Gurahl system I wanna NB fools too http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

JAFO22000
Apr 12, 2007, 06:05 PM
Dear people on the internet.

Please cease and desist using adjectives and verbs as nouns. For instance, this game cannot be lacking "epic". Something can not be made of "win". It is not funny nor cool to talk this way. And it really irritates me.

Thanks,

Your Pal
JAFO

P.S. To put it in a phrase you may understand, I'm full of angry right now.

ShinMaruku
Apr 12, 2007, 06:08 PM
On 2007-04-12 16:05, JAFO22000 wrote:

Please cease and desist using adjectives and verbs as nouns. For instance, this game cannot be lacking "epic". Something can not be made of "win". It is not funny nor cool to talk this way. And it really irritates me.

Thanks,

Your Pal
JAFO

People are not smart. Such behavior should be expected. The person is smart but few are Machivellian.. XD

amtalx
Apr 12, 2007, 06:11 PM
Yea...your battle is futile. Rhetoric has no place on the internet, forums most of all.

Yuudai_Riisu
Apr 12, 2007, 06:13 PM
I think the game awesome I think should be way it is

omegapirate2k
Apr 12, 2007, 06:16 PM
You want epic?

ILL GIVE YOU EPIC

http://www.vg.no/bilder/edrum/cliffyb.jpg

CelestialBlade
Apr 12, 2007, 06:23 PM
Again, I think ST focused a bit too much on the Offline story. It's the dark one, and the Online one seems like nothing more than a side-story. Perhaps Ambition of Illuminus will change this.

ShinMaruku
Apr 12, 2007, 06:28 PM
It's more a result of ST is crap at stories and people don't blast them enough for it.

Yuudai_Riisu
Apr 12, 2007, 06:30 PM
like is said before if dont like it shouldnt be playing it and wasting your time

jayster
Apr 12, 2007, 06:31 PM
On 2007-04-12 16:30, Yuudai_Riisu wrote:
like is said before if dont like it shouldnt be playing it and wasting your time

thank you, im tired of all the whiners on this game. I actually prefer this game to PSO.

ShinMaruku
Apr 12, 2007, 06:33 PM
Hmm crap story=crap game.. I think not but effort should be made.

xennec
Apr 12, 2007, 06:35 PM
I think the thing that made most of us keep coming back to PSO was that offline and online play were connected by the player using the same character in both. Also being able to invite your friends over multiplayer PSO parties. THAT is the thing I wish was changed. We don't need an offline story with Ethan or Laia, we need the offline PSO style gameplay filled with mystery (whatever happened to Red Ring Rico?) and as zorafim put it, "epic". I don't think we need demons and demi-gods though. It just doesn't make sense in the game. But we do need a reason to fight, not just "lets go kill for some mesta and MP".

I still prefer PSU over PSO though. ST greatly improved customization, which is what I'm all about.

HUnewearl_Meira
Apr 12, 2007, 06:37 PM
Something can not be made of "win".

Actually, "win" can legitimately be used as a noun, and some things can conceivably be made of wins (i.e., a championship can be made of wins, an accomplishment can be made of wins, etc).

Flwl3ssCowboy
Apr 12, 2007, 06:37 PM
On 2007-04-12 15:21, Retehi wrote:
Remember when people would actually move on?

When was this?

Yuudai_Riisu
Apr 12, 2007, 06:38 PM
well that why there were lot of hacking Offline/Online

Kent
Apr 12, 2007, 06:39 PM

Thanks,

Your Pal
JAFO

Dear JAFO,

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Epic

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/win

That is all.

-K

RadiantLegend
Apr 12, 2007, 06:40 PM
Epic is made of WIN.

Yuudai_Riisu
Apr 12, 2007, 06:44 PM
[quote]On 2007-04-12 16:42, Yuudai_Riisu wrote:
I hate when people try to make themselves look intelligent to bad they look more like smartasses

Witchblade56
Apr 12, 2007, 07:03 PM
Nice Kent,

THAT was made of WIN. EL OH EL

CelestialBlade
Apr 12, 2007, 07:15 PM
On 2007-04-12 16:35, xennec wrote:
I think the thing that made most of us keep coming back to PSO was that offline and online play were connected by the player using the same character in both. Also being able to invite your friends over multiplayer PSO parties. THAT is the thing I wish was changed. We don't need an offline story with Ethan or Laia, we need the offline PSO style gameplay filled with mystery (whatever happened to Red Ring Rico?) and as zorafim put it, "epic". I don't think we need demons and demi-gods though. It just doesn't make sense in the game. But we do need a reason to fight, not just "lets go kill for some mesta and MP".

I still prefer PSU over PSO though. ST greatly improved customization, which is what I'm all about.

I could not agree more, I absolutely loved the way PSO did offline mode. I liked my character being in the spotlight in the game's main story, and while PSU's Online Story mode gives you some of this, it still isn't the same. Seems more like you're just there for the ride, while Laia gets all the spotlight. Very disappointing for a lot of PSO fans.

PSU has indeed improved on just about every other feature of PSO, so I hardly see why a lot of people seem to prefer PSO over PSU hardcore. So much more to do. And who wants to bet that if PSU was just another PSO, the same people would complain about it being too similar? XD

Kinfante
Apr 12, 2007, 07:20 PM
I think a large source of my dissatisfaction of this is that we no longer have the uniqueness of all of our Characters, what I mean is the ID's like: Redria, Whitill, Skyly, etc. Everyone can find the same item just as easy as anyone else.

Unless ST hid them from us or something....

akratic
Apr 12, 2007, 07:23 PM
I'm dissatisfied that the game is not made of reacharound and swallow.

AweOfShe
Apr 12, 2007, 07:25 PM
This game is totally not lacking "Epic". You guys are just not fortunate enough to come across him.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL167/1964118/3937994/245356895.jpg

Dj_SkyEpic
Apr 12, 2007, 07:26 PM
Oh, hawt ;D

Kinfante
Apr 12, 2007, 07:28 PM
Oh crap, DJ found a friend.....or is that him...??

AweOfShe
Apr 12, 2007, 07:31 PM
It's him. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

This game is actually in fact... TWO TIMES THE EPIC!!!

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL167/1964118/3937994/245358714.jpg

PJ
Apr 12, 2007, 07:32 PM
On 2007-04-12 17:15, Typheros wrote:
I could not agree more, I absolutely loved the way PSO did offline mode. I liked my character being in the spotlight in the game's main story, and while PSU's Online Story mode gives you some of this, it still isn't the same. Seems more like you're just there for the ride, while Laia gets all the spotlight. Very disappointing for a lot of PSO fans.

Just like everything else being praised now that it's PSU...

Everyone HATED offline PSO.

PALRAPPYS
Apr 12, 2007, 07:33 PM
On 2007-04-12 17:32, PJ wrote:

On 2007-04-12 17:15, Typheros wrote:

Just like everything else being praised now that it's PSU...

Everyone HATED offline PSO.

No. That is made of lose. Do you have any idea how many people didn't get online and only played offline PSO? I happen to be one of them.

Ash1ey
Apr 12, 2007, 07:37 PM
On 2007-04-12 17:25, AweOfShe wrote:
This game is totally not lacking "Epic". You guys are just not fortunate enough to come across him.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL167/1964118/3937994/245356895.jpg

Best post i ever seen http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

PJ
Apr 12, 2007, 07:38 PM
Everyone online said how crappy offline was.

I actually wasn't one of them. I liked offline. I'm just saying what was bandwagon hate back then.

Para
Apr 12, 2007, 07:39 PM
I think so too... its lacking epicness....

Kinfante
Apr 12, 2007, 07:41 PM
Do u fantasize over this man or something, U got more pics? lol..

ShadowDragon28
Apr 12, 2007, 08:12 PM
*Sigh* not another one of these threads again....

FYI, I thoroughly enjoyed PSO offline mode and the all the online stuff. Same for PSU. And I loved the original PS series.

IDK what "epic" is supposed to exactly entail since the term "epic" is usually pertaining to writtings of fiction that involve a long and expansive story like Homer's "The Odessey"(sp?).

PSU storyline is barely half way through it's "2nd season" of its "story", storyline wise (sort of like a anime series. Some tv series don't start to get really good until like the 3rd season (example Star Trek Voyager, IMO)

PSU's *middle* and *end* of the main story arc have yet to be revealed... it's a little early to judge wether it's story is an "epic" or not IMO.

Itoshi
Apr 12, 2007, 08:18 PM
Wow, I agree with Zorafirm.

I feel the same way about this game.

AoI better change things or I am gonna get mad.

omegapirate2k
Apr 12, 2007, 08:20 PM
On 2007-04-12 18:18, Itoshi wrote:

Uh oh, we don't want that!

Serephim
Apr 12, 2007, 08:23 PM
On 2007-04-12 15:36, Sychosis wrote:

The hole in the disc is too small http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cry.gif

Oh that was a good one, i Loled XD..

Yes, Epic IS the overall problem with PSU, but the reason for it is everything you shunned.

First off, the reason it isnt Epic is because your looking for the Epic of PSO.

Almost Every stage in PSO (episode 1, and ESPICALLY episode 4) had a pretty dark ass feel to it.

-The forest goes from sunny to Rainy (and in Ultimate the sun is even setting.

-Caves start out not really epic, but pretty dangerous, and the atmosphere intensifies with each level you go through.

-Mines start off with an amazing technological feel, and end with an almost eerie feel of destruction.

-Ruins start off with a darker mysterious feel, Move into a VERY dark mysterious (almost eerie) feel, and then move into a less "dark" but more...Evil incarnation of the stage.

Episode 2 was far less Dark and epic, but WAYYY more Visually Eye pleasing. (Espically Gamecube and Xbox versions with the distorted beautiful water effects.) The only Epic thing in Episode 2 happened to be the kickass bosses (Gol Dragon and Gryphon are the coolest bosses frigging ever) and the Seabed (granted you obtained and listened to the Flowen logs and realized what the hell you were walking into).

The seabed's epicness came from the fact that your in a flooding station full of D-cell monsters. The deeper you get, the darker it gets and the water level rises, all the way until you get to Olga Flow (and the room leading to that teleporter is like the most epic ever) and fight him in that awesome "EPIC" battle on the elevator.

Episode 4 was just epic in every fucking way possible. Although it S E R I O U S L Y dissapointed me that it had no bosses, the music and level design of the last stage was just so visually, physically, and difficully pleasing that you cant help to fall in love with it.

PSU on the other hand fails with its "Epicness" because it fails in all the departments which made those PSO stages "epic".

The music is bland in most stages (Except ofcourse Neudaiz, which has amazing music)

The Level Design is bland in most stages (Except neudaiz of course), and if it isnt, the "epic" is ruined by the repetitive music (which fails in helping the mood of battle because its the same tune playing all the time, unlike in PSO with the fades)

Most Indoor levels would be awesome if they simply CHANGED IT UP a bit.

The indoor levels of PSO (Mines, Spaceship, Subterrinian, and hell even Caves) were all made "unboring" by tons of stuff to look at.
Waterfall room in caves, crystals in walls in caves, the cool light rooms in Mines, the broken elevators with no cart but moving structure in mines., EVERYTHING about Subterrinian, the TVs, Floating robots, lights, outside rooms, and Laser thingies in Spaceship.... They all changed up what you were looking at.

I think PSU simply thought that if they make all the rooms really really big they wont have to stick anything in them, and it really screwed up alot of the level design.

That, and each level is the same thing.

....Or we could just go out on a limb and say the Storyline sucked.

AweOfShe
Apr 12, 2007, 08:26 PM
On 2007-04-12 18:20, omegapirate2k wrote:

OH SHIT! Sega's in BIIIIIIIG trouble now!!!

Itoshi
Apr 12, 2007, 08:38 PM
On 2007-04-12 18:26, AweOfShe wrote:

On 2007-04-12 18:20, omegapirate2k wrote:

OH SHIT! Sega's in BIIIIIIIG trouble now!!!

You BETTER BELIEVE IT.

I'M OOOOO GONNNA TUUUUURRRRNNNN INTTTOOO A BEETTTLE RANGER.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/Linkwaker64/CHANGEBEETLE.jpg
OH YEA

AC9breaker
Apr 12, 2007, 08:43 PM

LOL

AweOfShe
Apr 12, 2007, 08:53 PM
On 2007-04-12 17:41, Kinfante wrote:

Do you the ones WITH pants? Or without?

Sekani
Apr 12, 2007, 09:11 PM
On 2007-04-12 18:23, Serephim wrote:
PSU on the other hand fails with its "Epicness" because it fails in all the departments which made those PSO stages "epic".

The music is bland in most stages (Except ofcourse Neudaiz, which has amazing music)

The Level Design is bland in most stages (Except neudaiz of course), and if it isnt, the "epic" is ruined by the repetitive music (which fails in helping the mood of battle because its the same tune playing all the time, unlike in PSO with the fades)

Most Indoor levels would be awesome if they simply CHANGED IT UP a bit.

The indoor levels of PSO (Mines, Spaceship, Subterrinian, and hell even Caves) were all made "unboring" by tons of stuff to look at.
Waterfall room in caves, crystals in walls in caves, the cool light rooms in Mines, the broken elevators with no cart but moving structure in mines., EVERYTHING about Subterrinian, the TVs, Floating robots, lights, outside rooms, and Laser thingies in Spaceship.... They all changed up what you were looking at.

I think PSU simply thought that if they make all the rooms really really big they wont have to stick anything in them, and it really screwed up alot of the level design.

That, and each level is the same thing.

....Or we could just go out on a limb and say the Storyline sucked.

I'm still gonna hate on everyone who wants to bring more and more of PSO into PSU, but if anything from the former game was incorporated into the newer, I'd have to agree and say that it needs more dramatic music (for bosses mainly) and level designs with more varied scenery.

P.S.: Offline mode fails. Always has, always will. Whenever I hear about people who played any version of PSO or PSU offline-only, I want to smack them upside the head with a shovel.

mll
Apr 12, 2007, 09:22 PM
I got the same feeling
Sorry to compare to PSO again but on PSO it felt like you were on a hostile planet and were in a certain level of danger at all times. Missions on PSU kind of feel like your just going through a bad neighbourhood or something. It just feels like the seed invasion is a pretty minor incident so you cant take much satisfaction from preventing it.
It seems that AoI will change that though. Was it my imagination or did they mention on the Online story that they were keeping the existence of the 2nd hive secret from the general public. Events in AoI that I've heard about would suggest that that would no longer be possible.

Seira7
Apr 12, 2007, 09:38 PM
(in response to Sekani)Well, smack me with a shovel then. *ow* I loved PSO offline and still do. I do play BB from time to time, but I feel the need to play PSO on a console, so I play PSO + on my wii in prog scan. Although I am offline (and legit) I feel I can always find something to do in that game. I quit playing PSU offline after the 2nd chapter though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Seira7 on 2007-04-12 19:39 ]</font>

Kinfante
Apr 12, 2007, 09:47 PM
On 2007-04-12 18:53, AweOfShe wrote:

On 2007-04-12 17:41, Kinfante wrote:

Do you the ones WITH pants? Or without?

I'm still thinking about it.....give me a week. What do I wanna see?

pineapple
Apr 12, 2007, 10:08 PM
I think I have the perfect game for you...

http://www.dreamjap.com/image/380.jpg (http://moepic.com/)

PSU is barely a novice of epic by comparison.

Yuudai_Riisu
Apr 12, 2007, 10:19 PM
On 2007-04-12 18:43, AC9breaker wrote:

LOL

didnt Pso had same size hole or smaller(GC)

Yuudai_Riisu
Apr 12, 2007, 10:21 PM
Wow, I agree with Zorafirm.

I feel the same way about this game.

AoI better change things or I am gonna get mad and piss in my pants.

like they would care this game is not please you its for everyone

Kent
Apr 12, 2007, 11:45 PM
On 2007-04-12 16:44, Yuudai_Riisu wrote:

On 2007-04-12 16:42, Yuudai_Riisu wrote:
I hate when people try to make themselves look intelligent to bad they look more like smartasses

I love irony.

...Anyway, consumers are consumers. If one consumer isn't happy, it doesn't mean a whole lot, in most cases. If a substantial percentage of consumers are unhappy, then that can easily determine how much of a failure the game is considered, from a business standpoint.

In the case of a pay-to-play game, enough of a loss of the playerbase, can result in shutdown of the game service, if it isn't generating revenue. A majority of the people I know personally who have played PSU, aren't satisfied with its lack of epic win (among other things), and have quit.

Now, just because my friends and I have stopped playing the current version of PSU, doesn't constitute the game as a failure from a business standpoint. Doesn't mean it's a success, either. Doesn't really mean much, except that a group of people, who are very prolific in videogames and the resulting culture, are dissatisfied with their purchase.

It's really small groups en masse that make the same decision, that will determine these things.

BahnKnakyu
Apr 13, 2007, 12:04 AM
On 2007-04-12 21:45, Kent wrote:
It's really small groups en masse that make the same decision, that will determine these things.

I think this is the problem. These small groups, instead of expecting a game that is different from what we've been used to and to try out new and different things, demanded that more PSO-esque stuff were added to PSU.

I personally don't have the same attachment to PSO since the only PSO I played was PSOBB US, but I can tell you I find it rather sickening and depressing how badly Sega is trying to cater to these small groups in the Ambition of Illuminus beta. (i.e. the old "new" clothing in AoI) Rather than spending their energies on making something new, they just kind of bend over backwards and take it in the butt for those who could not move on from the PSO days.

pineapple
Apr 13, 2007, 12:41 AM
If PSU was good enough to stand on it's own, there wouldn't be as many complaints. The inclusion of PSO stuff in AoI is basically admitting/exploiting this. As it stands, PSU doesn't feel like it's own game. Races, classes, combat, levels, enemies, etc... are all very similar to PSO. Many of differences can be annoying when there are far more similarities between the two games. The changes seem to be a pretty even mix of good and bad. Some of them don't really make sense.

If, on the other hand, Sega had actually attempted to make it radically 'new and different' there would not be as many comparisons. Since they decided to play it safe, it would have been nice for more of the changes to be a step forward instead of just different for the heck of it. Basically it isn't that new and it isn't that different so why shouldn't people demand it be more like PSO?

Sev
Apr 13, 2007, 01:31 AM
When reading through this thread, all I really wanna says is "Shut up." but I know that's probably not enough. In my opnion, I haven't played any epic game, if I did, I'd still be playing it and not jumping between MMO's. PSO was good for it's time, I enjoyed it, and that's the extent. I've enjoyed PSO, FFXI, and PSO. Are they epic to me, no. They're just games that I think at good. All of these games have things that can be done to vastly improve them, but there's no such thing as a perfect game. There's just games that people think are really good, and not everyone has to share your view or opinion. If a game comes out, that people honestly can't find a bad point in, I'd probably be playing in nonstop, there's alot fo things that could've improved PSO, that could've actually have been done, same withat PSU, and the same with FFXI, but they weren't done. They're not Epic, they're just good games.

Can this thread stop now?

Chuck_Norris
Apr 13, 2007, 01:39 AM
yeah this game needs more of a final fantasy feeling to it, like having to fight a sephiroth tipe boss were he moves mega fast and hits hard and everyone has to work like a team to kill him, stuff like THAT is what this game needs.

Reginaldo
Apr 13, 2007, 01:41 AM

Thanks,

Your Pal
JAFO

The internet, it's serious business.

Jakosifer
Apr 13, 2007, 01:41 AM
....Heres what I'll say, if you don't like the game don't play it, if you do like the game but have qualms about it then GET OVER IT and enjoy what the game has. Dammit.

SolomonGrundy
Apr 13, 2007, 01:50 AM
I ate an epic amount of pepridge farm, mint milano cookies while playing PSU today.

yeah,... I'm deep.

AweOfShe
Apr 13, 2007, 01:54 AM
Yeah...
.....IN DEEP SHIT!!!

THOSE WERE MINE!!!!!

Nai_Calus
Apr 13, 2007, 02:17 AM
Frankly, seeing the way they're implementing the PSO outfits, since the clothing system doesn't really give them a choice in the matter, I'd rather they left the PSO stuff out too, than completely miss the point. XP Sure, in PSO a HUnewearl was always immediately identifiable as such, but that one class had quite a bit of variance in how the uniform looked. Compare that one skanky black barely-there thing with the fishnets and the white outfit that covered nearly everything but the arms.

I actually don't much care for how PSU does clothing. It makes everything bland and same and the extremely limited colour choices can eliminate pieces that otherwise might be perfect, but goddamn it, I needed that in green and it doesn't come in green. Y'know? It'd be better if it was like, a design would have a few variations and you could pick a base and accent colour yourself.

Yes, going back to PSO, I think PSO did it better. Yeah, you had to wear a dress if you were a FOmar, but if you liked that dress anyway, well hey, you had 20 different ways it could look.

But yeah, OK, 'zomg stfu about pso'. Fine. I've played Wrestling games that did clothing better than PSU does. Wrestling games from five years ago. Surely a game that supposedly requires broadband to play can handle loading a limited palette of colours for things? It can handle hair and eye colours that aren't a limited palette, why not clothing?

But well, ST is lazy. It must've taken too much work to design the clothing variations for PSO and they didn't want to do that again. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Anyway, the point being. The way they're apparently fucking it up, I'd rather they left PSO out of PSU. PSU isn't PSO, nope. It's fun enough in its own way, but nope, definitely not PSO.

PJ, we all know you've randomly decided to detest PSO and think that hating PSO somehow makes you cool, but it really doesn't. XP

So yeah, thinks like FOnewearl outfits? It annoys me, because it's done lazily. It doesn't work if it's a red version of Rupika's outfit instead of one of the actual red FOnewearl outfits. It just looks stupid, and lazy. I'd much, much rather they designed something original with a similar feel. Don't give me five crappy colour selections of palette swaps of the default FOmar outfit, give me five palette swaps of something new and different that has a similar aesthetic. There's a billion ways to design 'flowing robes', for the love of cheese. Don't give me a crappy recreation of something that's not even done as well as it originally was, give me something new that doesn't look like it was stolen from a mix of FFXI and RO. :-/

But yeah, the level design is kind of lacking. OK, there are butterflies flying around in some of the outdoor areas. Blue ones taken straight from Forest 1 on Parum, orange ones on Neudaiz... But there's a general lack of environmental touches like PSO had. The environment of Plains Overlord looks exactly the same as the one of Mad Creatures. Whereas PSO would vary within the same stage, and going through Forest 2 to the Dragon didn't look exactly like Forest 1.

I find PSU's music so boring I turn it off and listen to winamp. On the other end of things, I have music from PSO and many other video games on my winamp playlist.

And I liked PSO's offline mode. I liked the story. I liked that hey, this is cool, instead of some obnoxious teenager I can't stand, the hero is *my* character. Even online PSO still has that feel. You and your teammates are the ones going through and taking care of things. In PSU, your character is just kind of there. Doesn't matter, if they had never been born nothing would have changed. It's exactly like just about any MMO you could pick. Your character doesn't matter.

Such things are what PSU lacks. There's no sense of struggle, of danger. It's a happy cheerful world devoid of pathos and angst. PSO *begins* with the mysterious disappearance of 30,000+ people that you later learn are dead and won't be found hiding somewhere, and Pioneer 2 is left orbiting a planet it can't even dream of landing on because of the danger. People vanish, are taken over by Dark Falz, die. The main story gives you some of the major struggles, quests give you more major struggles and smaller individual struggles that drive home that yes, this is affecting people, and badly. PSI begins with the death of Alis Landale's brother, and from there it changes from being a quest of revenge to a quest to free an entire solar system from a tyrannical king controlled by an evil entity. PSII kills off random people who've been affected by troubles your party is trying to find out the source of, one of your own beloved party members, then goes on to destroy an entire world and the civilization of the entire solar system, as well as presumably kill the surviving party members. PSIII varies, but it has the same trend towards 'this matter's. PSIV kills a party member, ordinary citizens die as their cities are destroyed or hit by mysterious illnesses, the fate of the entire solar system hangs in the balance of what you're doing and in the end the ultimate evil is defeated.

In comparison, the SEED invasion is like a freaking picnic. Nobody seems to be suffering that much. It's easy enough to keep monsters out of areas. There's not much of a point to what you're doing. You have no real personal motivation throughout at least half the story mode. Even in story mode, Ethan isn't that important to things and only occasionally falls into the main mess of things. As an RPG plot, it's dull and pointless. Online things matter even less.

So, PSU doesn't present you with a reason to care.

As a game of hacking and slashing and blowing things up, it succeeds wildly. As a game that actually means anything... Not really, no. Four years later, I *still* want to find out what happens to Calus after PSO EpII's Seat of the Heart. Every time I play FFVI, I still go hunt down every last character, even the ones I don't use in battle much, because I like them and I like the story that goes into retrieving them. Can I make it without Locke? Undoubtedly. Do I want him back anyway, if only because of his storyline? Absolutely. By contrast I don't give a flying fuck about what happens to any of PSU's characters. They can all die, for all I care.

And also, dear people whining about people bringing up PSO: Welcome to PSO-World. I've been here for what, four years now? Guess what I was playing back then in 2003. Yeah, PSO. Guess what I still play? PSO. No, PSU ain't PSO, but that's what ST gets for using the PS name. No shit, people will compare it to PSO. Most people here have played PSO in the past, so you can generally use PSO as an example of something and have people understand it, more people at least than would understand it if you compared it to WoW. And frankly, PSU and PSO do have a lot of similarities, and also differences that are easily compared. So... Yeah, get over it.

Believe it or not, it's possible to like PSO, recognize that PSO had flaws(Anyone miss FSOD and corruptions, or how broken half the classes were? Yeah, I didn't think so), and like PSU and also recognize that PSU has flaws. PSU's aren't generally as fatal(Corruption, again), but they can be just as obnoxious and well, yeah, human nature to complain, eh? If a game has a fucktastic story and relatively bland environments, I'll complain about that. Ask me how much I fucking hated Caves. Even the most boring area of PSU is better than Caves. But the best areas of PSO had more character than PSU's areas tend to. Variances.

Itchee
Apr 13, 2007, 07:02 AM
Ah....Boredom is setting in.

When logging in now (which I seem to be doing less and less), I find myself looking for any excuse to do anything other than grind the same mission over and over. While Im not the first to make that statement, I surely never thought that those words would be coming out of my mouth. Chit-chatting is becoming more entertaining than actually playing...which I find to be a little disturbing...However, I cant see myself ever getting rid of PSU and cancelling my subscription.

I patiently await something else to do.

PJ
Apr 13, 2007, 07:13 AM
On 2007-04-13 00:17, Ian-KunX wrote:
PJ, we all know you've randomly decided to detest PSO and think that hating PSO somehow makes you cool, but it really doesn't. XP

Randomly decided?

Yeah, it'd be a lie to say I didn't enjoy PSO at some point. But I got tired of it. Then trying to play it again, I realised it was SHIT. Playing PSU, then trying to play PSO again really made it shit.

The REAL cool thing is to fucking ADORE PSO and all they shit they did. EVERYONE said the story sucked. Everyone said the characters sucked. Everyone said the game sucked (And still played it). Now that PSU's out, it's SO cool to be nostalgic and say how fucking great PSO was.

Maybe I should just stick onto my mood, PS1-O suck, but that'd look weird, and most people probably wouldn't get it.

Oh yeah, it's also cool to say how stupid ST is. Hilarious.

danny_o
Apr 13, 2007, 07:14 AM
Zorafim...Wow... You hit the nail right on the head...

That is the flavor lacking from it. In EQ 2, I could run and run and run for hours and still not cover the whole game and I had to tread lightly so as to not get trounced by a horde of ice giants, mole rats, goblins, or other evil forces. Each member of their respective evil/good city had little jobs to fulfill for their government, even though it wasn't much more than Go to X and Kill 20 of X.

From the tension between the races/planets/corporations you'd think that a much more compelling tale of survival and tragedy could have been made. I mean, can't we throw an NPC out of an air lock and have them get frozen/Benz/suffocate? That would be pretty intense...

Omega_Weltall
Apr 13, 2007, 10:20 AM
WALL O TEXT!!! >_< but I feel what your saying

MayLee
Apr 13, 2007, 10:28 AM
I don't know if it's an unsatisfactory for me but I seem feel extremely tired when playing PSU and I am determind to find out why.

Itchee
Apr 13, 2007, 10:37 AM
On 2007-04-13 08:28, MayLee wrote:
I don't know if it's an unsatisfactory for me but I seem feel extremely tired when playing PSU and I am determind to find out why.

Get more sleep at night.

MayLee
Apr 13, 2007, 10:38 AM
On 2007-04-13 08:37, Itchee wrote:

Get more sleep at night.

I get plenty of sleep, and I take naps. It's just that if I play PSU for longer than 30 minutes I get a bit sleepy.

It is happening to a few people I know.

Itchee
Apr 13, 2007, 10:40 AM
On 2007-04-13 08:38, MayLee wrote:

On 2007-04-13 08:37, Itchee wrote:

Get more sleep at night.

I get plenty of sleep, and I take naps. It's just that if I play PSU for longer than 30 minutes I get a bit sleepy.

It is happening to a few people I know.

ST introduced hypnosis a few updates ago.
Didnt you get tha memo??

Deja
Apr 13, 2007, 10:54 AM
We need something to hunt. In PSO I spent a whole summer playing just searching for all the cool rares. This game has zilch, nadda, nothing. When we get nice things to hunt, people will play.

Also, we need Endless Nightmare type missions, missions that arent the same **** over and over and will keep us up. I too have been getting sleepy during playing, because plain and simple, the game is boring now.

Zorafim
Apr 13, 2007, 10:55 AM
I didn't want this thread to be a comparison to PSO, though I'm glad people get what I'm saying. Like I said in my first post, I like this game and have fun with it. The fun just isn't epic.
I normally enjoy many side things more than the gameplay, such as story and music, and I'd have so much more fun if such things were better than what exists. I still play every story mission that comes out, offline and on, just because I like having story. Though I too have shut off the music and opened my music player.

I have many things that I want to coment on with the PSO conversation, but the only thing that belongs in this topic that pertains to PSO is its epicness, so I'll leave it out.

On 2007-04-12 20:08, pineapple wrote:
I think I have the perfect game for you...

http://www.dreamjap.com/image/380.jpg (http://moepic.com/)

PSU is barely a novice of epic by comparison.

I think that's the best post in this topic.

ShinAnt
Apr 13, 2007, 11:11 AM
"Epic"
ugh..
I'm getting real sick of hearing that word...
I know what you mean when you don't have that "feeling of satisfaction" from a game you real like...
It is what it is though......
If you dont like how things are happening right now...
leave and come back.....
you'll get that new feeling again...

Thats what I think anyways...

I myself is going to enjoy todays update and wait for AOI expansion!

Zorafim
Apr 13, 2007, 11:17 AM
Heh, there's nothing else for me at the moment. This is the only online game I know of that isn't horrid and doesn't require six hours a day of my time. Besides that, there aren't really any games that I'm playing, so this is my only source of entertainment between classes and studying.

I will admit that this last update does take a step towards being more epic. The Degiel set is what I've been waiting for since before I got online, and the other sets seem so much more combat worthy than what we have.
I hope the story mission follows in suit.

ShinAnt
Apr 13, 2007, 11:25 AM
ya I here you on that..
I havent played since last friday (thank you Namco X Capcom for that!)
And takes up most of my day except for weekends....
So coming back to play tonite will be awesome...
whenever I get off work.....

pineapple
Apr 13, 2007, 11:37 AM
Yey, I win.

ShinAnt
Apr 13, 2007, 11:39 AM
win what?

Sc0pe
Apr 13, 2007, 11:43 AM
I think the problem with PSU lies in the fact it has a linear story, rather than PSO which was either terrible or genious. The fact of PSO was it seemed like your character was not the main character, but was more like you were following the footsteps of the main character, only to find out she killed by Falz. The music in PSO was just outright better, the art style was a lot... darker, the story was something you had to figure out for yourself. Essentially it seems like if PSO was compared to being stuck in the jungle with wild animals in, PSU is like being stuck in a zoo with a gun (http://epicgeordi.ytmnd.com/)

ShinMaruku
Apr 13, 2007, 11:43 AM
The issue here is ST not their conecpt. XD

AC9breaker
Apr 13, 2007, 11:45 AM
Man, this thread should be moved to Rants section.

Weeaboolits
Apr 13, 2007, 11:49 AM
On 2007-04-13 09:43, Sc0pe wrote:
I think the problem with PSU lies in the fact it has a linear story, rather than PSO which was either terrible or genious. The fact of PSO was it seemed like your character was not the main character, but was more like you were following the footsteps of the main character, only to find out she killed by Falz. The music in PSO was just outright better, the art style was a lot... darker, the story was something you had to figure out for yourself. Essentially it seems like if PSO was compared to being stuck in the jungle with wild animals in, PSU is like being stuck in a zoo with a gun (http://epicgeordi.ytmnd.com/)

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
Topic got moved just as I went to reply.

Sinue_v2
Apr 13, 2007, 04:13 PM
Effort, I think, is largely what PSU is lacking. The whole game is pretty much half-assed, or average at best. The storyline sucked, the art design was "blah", the music is (for the most part) cheerie crap, the rares suck (for those that actually care about them), and the security is lax at best. They did get the combat mechanics down pretty good, with my only bitch in that department being revamp they did to techniques over previous games.

It's a bunch of little shit that just piles up. Like sound effects. Cast a Zonde spell and you get this generic little "zap" noise. Now go play a game like Oblivion and cast a Lighting Bolt... you get a thunderous BOOM followed by the crackle of electricity. That's just one example.

(Edit: It's kind of funny, but goes to prove a point. In PSU I could give a fuck about rares or special items... but in Oblivion I'll play for HOURS just hunting knicknack bullshit like Jewled Necklaces and Pearls. It's still fun.. more fun than PSU.. and it's an OFFLINE game, it's not like I even have anyone to show my swag collection off to.)

I think the problem with PSU lies in the fact it has a linear story.

No, it's that the storyline was half-assed and largely sucked. They could have had a great linear storyline - lots of RPG's past and present do, in fact, it's part of what makes them great. Final Fantasy often sells itself on it's linear storylines more than the gameplay even. For PSU though, the talent just wasn't there.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-04-13 14:22 ]</font>

UnderscoreX
Apr 13, 2007, 06:27 PM

Thanks,

Your Pal
JAFO

I think, this was the funniest post I've ever read on this site. Full of epic.

VanHalen
Apr 13, 2007, 06:30 PM

You gave me the first laugh I had all day http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif