PDA

View Full Version : "NooB" Question MST

_Wolf_
Apr 14, 2007, 09:33 AM
I am a lvl 50 fighunner and my friend is a force and we are arguing over what MST is if someone could explain that would be nice
Thank You in advance

Neith
Apr 14, 2007, 09:38 AM
MST is your character's resistance to technic-based damage. A character with low MST will take more damage from things like Foie/Diga etc.

It's not like PSO (if you played it), where MST reflected your tech power. This is TP in PSU. MST in PSU is your resistance to tech damage.

Sexy_Raine
Apr 14, 2007, 09:43 AM
MST = Tech resistance. Still an inferior stat compared to HP.

_Wolf_
Apr 14, 2007, 09:44 AM
thank you i never played PSO but my friend was saying that is how you hit high with magic and i said no that is how you hit high overall i guess we were both wrong but the reason i asked is i just got sori senba and didnt need my tech up for the head slot and needed to make sure it was useful Thank You

Mikaga
Apr 14, 2007, 12:48 PM
Yeah, MST is tech resistance. Like DFP, the rule-of-thumb "Every 5 MST reduces damage by 1" is surprisingly accurate, meaning the store-bought Sta / Mind cuts damage by about 6, the "good" Gi / Magic cuts it by 4 (at the cost of TP when opposed to a Sta / Force) and the "wow rare" Sori / Mind cuts damage by all of 15.

A common misconception is that Casts get "slaughtered" by technics whereas a Newman under the same circumstances would "be fine". This is borne of stereotype and because the MST difference proportionally is in fact quite large. However due to MST affecting damage so little, if the enemy technics are any kind of threat at all, the Cast (or Beast, or Human) would still outlive the Newman (regardless of type, so long as it is the same) will still outlive the Newman due to their additional HP.

In actual fact the significant difference MST-wise comes from the GUARDIANS type the player is: MST has wonderfully varied type modifiers. A Fortetecher gets a 245% MST modifier which is the largest type modifier in the game (the closest being Fortegunner's 200% ATA). On the other side of things, five types (Hunter, Fortefighter, Fighgunner, Fortegunner, Protranser) have the MST modifier of 50% and save for Guntecher's 44% TP (and the useless TP of non-technic classes) this is the lowest modifier in the game.

However, because Newmans are practically forced to be Fortetecher and Casts/Beasts are typically the low-modifier types, the mistaken belief that Newmans themselves resist technics better is born.

Serephim
Apr 14, 2007, 08:10 PM
And thus is the current problem with PSU.

Tekershee
Apr 15, 2007, 03:44 AM
Ft's MST makes me lol.

Raysa
Apr 15, 2007, 03:47 AM
Does MST reduce any Status Effect chance by TECHS? Like Foie: Burn or Megid: Death?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Raysa on 2007-04-15 01:47 ]</font>

funnymatt
Apr 15, 2007, 03:52 AM
I believe it only reduces staus effect chances if your MST is so high that you take zero damage from a technique altogether. With good dark armor, many ForteTechers have no problem running Linear Line because Megid can't touch them with their insanely high MST.

Zarbolord
Apr 15, 2007, 04:15 AM
On 2007-04-15 01:47, Raysa wrote:
Does MST reduce any Status Effect chance by TECHS? Like Foie: Burn or Megid: Death?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Raysa on 2007-04-15 01:47 ]</font>

The higher your MST is, the less damage you take from enemy spells. Effects can only be inflicted to you if you recieve as minimum 1 dmg. If your MST is high, and so lowers enemy tech dmg, it lowers the special effect probability of getting you, but not by much. If you receive 0 dmg from a tech, you are invincable to it as you will not take damage nor receive any special effects. The proof is, since my fT newearl has been immune to megid, she doesn't get frozen, poisoned nor 1 hit killed by any tech in there. Of course the deljabans still inflict infection and poison with PHYSICAL attacks, but no tech will harm. Visibly, if you have a 50% armor with high MST, rainbow (giving you an additional 8% to every element) and high MST, it is unlikely you will suffer from special effects given from techniques.

Eleina
Apr 15, 2007, 05:09 AM
<3 ForteTecher MST <3
(even though buffed jarba megid ain't possible to be immune to yet http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif)

Mikaga
Apr 15, 2007, 09:59 AM
The higher your MST is, the less damage you take from enemy spells. Effects can only be inflicted to you if you recieve as minimum 1 dmg. If your MST is high, and so lowers enemy tech dmg, it lowers the special effect probability of getting you, but not by much. If you receive 0 dmg from a tech, you are invincable to it as you will not take damage nor receive any special effects. The proof is, since my fT newearl has been immune to megid, she doesn't get frozen, poisoned nor 1 hit killed by any tech in there. Of course the deljabans still inflict infection and poison with PHYSICAL attacks, but no tech will harm.
I believe this was best summed up immediately before you, by funnymatt: "Not unless it reduces damage to 0."

Should any further clarification be needed: A character that takes 600 damage from Megid is no more likely to suffer the instant-kill chance than a character that takes 1 damage. The only way to cut the chance itself is by raising STA (be a female, be a gunner class, use an STA extra unit, or in rare cases wear an STA-boosting line shield).