PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only person that thinks...

Esufer
Apr 15, 2007, 03:37 PM
...that Sega seem to have been led to believe that traps = storyline.

Every three steps in online story mode = "Bleep, asplode, monomate plz"

It's really. Really. Really. annoying. And not even neccessary.

Less traps, more coherence, plz!

Zorafim
Apr 15, 2007, 03:40 PM
Traps make me sad.

Sekani
Apr 15, 2007, 03:42 PM
Just let me know when the story goes back to being interesting and making sense. I stopped playing those missions after chapter 5.

A2K
Apr 15, 2007, 03:42 PM
You can catch most of them with your goggles, which are even easier to get out now with the first-person mode + LB/RB trick.

On 2007-04-15 13:42, Sekani wrote:
Just let me know when the story goes back to being interesting and making sense. I stopped playing those missions after chapter 5.

What's so confusing about them? If anything they're rather direct: perhaps relying a bit too much on exposition.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2007-04-15 13:45 ]</font>

Esufer
Apr 15, 2007, 03:44 PM
On 2007-04-15 13:42, Sekani wrote:

Probably not going to happen.

Ohtoku mountain disappears in the latest one.

I'm rather glad I bought WoW and BC yesterday. Sega are basically advertising for other MMOs! ^_^

Pinecone
Apr 15, 2007, 03:44 PM
dont forget about the goggles http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VupfhntnW0g

Ryoten
Apr 15, 2007, 04:20 PM
If you think thats bad, wait until you play the exspantion. Trap city!

Sekani
Apr 15, 2007, 04:53 PM
On 2007-04-15 13:42, A2K wrote:

What's so confusing about them? If anything they're rather direct: perhaps relying a bit too much on exposition.

I never said it was confusing, just that it made no sense. Chapter 1, Ethan goes rogue, tries to kill president, "kidnaps" the divine maiden. By Chapter 2 those events are all but forgotten, and each chapter introduces a new plot "twist" without resolving or even in most cases acknowledging the events of the previous one. At this point I could care less what happened to Hyuga.

This type of storytelling is the reason I don't watch Lost anymore.

Jonty
Apr 15, 2007, 04:57 PM
I can't play PSU at the moment, but I don't seem to care that much... I don't miss it that much. Especially the story missions!
I daresay I'll emerge back on the scene (to cries of OMG YOUR LOW LEVEL LOL) for the sequel.
If I ever get my 360 fixed >.<

A2K
Apr 15, 2007, 05:28 PM
On 2007-04-15 14:53, Sekani wrote:
I never said it was confusing, just that it made no sense. Chapter 1, Ethan goes rogue, tries to kill president, "kidnaps" the divine maiden. By Chapter 2 those events are all but forgotten, and each chapter introduces a new plot "twist" without resolving or even in most cases acknowledging the events of the previous one. At this point I could care less what happened to Hyuga.

This type of storytelling is the reason I don't watch Lost anymore.

I still don't quite understand where you're coming from. Previous events are referenced quite frequently: in even your example, Chapter 2, the entire first half is devoted to an attempt to find and apprehend Ethan for what he's done.

There are loose ends, of course, but that's just the nature of an on-going story. This stuff isn't coming out of nowhere: it's quite clear that this is all preparing for Ambition of Illuminus' Story Mode by setting up the character's and organizations' roles.

Sekani
Apr 15, 2007, 05:48 PM
On 2007-04-15 15:28, A2K wrote:
I still don't quite understand where you're coming from. Previous events are referenced quite frequently: in even your example, Chapter 2, the entire first half is devoted to an attempt to find and apprehend Ethan for what he's done.

There are loose ends, of course, but that's just the nature of an on-going story. This stuff isn't coming out of nowhere: it's quite clear that this is all preparing for Ambition of Illuminus' Story Mode by setting up the character's and organizations' roles.

To your first comment, eh, not really. Yes, Laia seems to be obsessed with apprehending Ethan in every subsequent chapter, but still nothing on the rogues, the assassination attempt, or the maiden. If you haven't played the first story mode, you wouldn't even have a clue as to why it seems no one but Laia is in a rush to arrest him, because no other reasons are really given. There was a perfect opportunity to thread some of this together at the end of the chapter 5, but it was blown in order to seemingly connect every character in the game to this new Illuminus plot in some mysterious way.

But even if you're right and this is all exposition to set up the expansion, still you agree that there's far too much set-up; and for me, not enough substance to maintain my interest, ongoing story or not.

Angelo
Apr 15, 2007, 06:59 PM
Laia is a bitch.

...Sorry it's just been awhile since anyone's said it. :[

NPCMook
Apr 15, 2007, 07:05 PM
In this chapter Laia tries to get answers about Her and Ethan

zandra117
Apr 15, 2007, 07:46 PM
I love the traps, they make the mission challenging without the traps it would be another "kill em all" button mashing borefest like most of the free missions. The more challenging the mission is the more satisfying it is when you beat it.

DurakkenX
Apr 15, 2007, 07:52 PM
On 2007-04-15 15:48, Sekani wrote:

If you haven't played the first story mode, you wouldn't even have a clue as to why it seems no one but Laia is in a rush to arrest him, because no other reasons are really given.

hint hint... play the story mode... that's what it's there for

McLaughlin
Apr 15, 2007, 11:03 PM
This new chapter touches on the maiden's "kidnapping". Several of the other chapters also clear up certain "loose ends", so I have no real qualms with it thus far, other than the story itself.

Yuudai_Riisu
Apr 16, 2007, 03:18 AM
Im perfectly fine with it myself but opinion are like @$$holes everybody has one

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Yuudai_Riisu on 2007-04-17 13:07 ]</font>

ChaotistRazor
Apr 16, 2007, 04:10 AM
I want to see main characters die, but in order for this to be effective, I'd have to give a damn about them first.

Gilder > Hyuga "The Bitch" Ryght, any day.

Feelmirath
Apr 16, 2007, 05:17 AM
On 2007-04-16 02:10, ChaotistRazor wrote:

You, good sir, win a thousand internets.

Zarbolord
Apr 16, 2007, 06:31 AM
what anoys me is... can we find any rare and unnormal items on story mode A difficulty? Seems like there's not been an item feaver since the neta note drops from the bros...

Garanz-Baranz
Apr 16, 2007, 06:40 AM
I've wanted to actually see MY char talk...

ATLEAST GIVE US THE COMMON "Yes/No" STUFF LIKE IN PSO!!! GAH!!!!!
[/vent]

Allison_W
Apr 16, 2007, 10:32 AM
What's the problem with Hyuga, now?

On the other hand, glad to see I'm not the only one who noticed that little hint in Story Mode that he likes to be on bottom.

Rashiid
Apr 16, 2007, 10:33 AM
On 2007-04-16 04:40, Garanz-Baranz wrote:
I've wanted to actually see MY char talk...

ATLEAST GIVE US THE COMMON "Yes/No" STUFF LIKE IN PSO!!! GAH!!!!!
[/vent]

ask Ubisoft to make this game.

in all theyre online games, you characters mouth move when talking http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Swordstorm
Apr 16, 2007, 01:11 PM
The story is actually starting to get interesting now. Secrets and corruption coming to light in the land of the Newmans? Maybe.

RadiantLegend
Apr 16, 2007, 02:15 PM
Traps in PSU make me lol.

No challenge at all.

I want to see the return of megid traps and traps that can kill you in one hit.

Kinako78
Apr 16, 2007, 03:22 PM
I'm finding the online story mode very interesting. I haven't done the latest chapter yet, though. I just finished chapter 6 today.

Sinue_v2
Apr 16, 2007, 03:37 PM
The story is actually starting to get interesting now.

No.. the story is getting lamer. All this government conspiracy crap was overdone even when PSO was pimping it... now it's just gotten rediculous. And Photons... yeah, the concept of Photons I don't have a problem with - but do they have to be responsible for every single goddamned technological innovation their society is based upon? Photon technology is FAR to overplayed,

Kinako78
Apr 16, 2007, 03:41 PM
What technology do you think they should play?

TorterraEndor
Apr 16, 2007, 03:41 PM
My only problem with the story is how its presented, no cinematics and just pressing enter for 3 or 4 minutes at a time reading gets boring. I'm not gonna be needlessly pessimistic about the story, but I will say its better than having no story missions.

Kinako78
Apr 16, 2007, 03:45 PM
I do agree about having to read through everything getting boring, especially if you have to start the mission over again.

A2K
Apr 16, 2007, 03:48 PM
On 2007-04-16 13:41, TorterraEndor wrote:
My only problem with the story is how its presented, no cinematics and just pressing enter for 3 or 4 minutes at a time reading gets boring. I'm not gonna be needlessly pessimistic about the story, but I will say its better than having no story missions.

Dialogue is dialogue, whether it's presented in a chat scene or a cinematic. In either case, no one is actually forcing you to play them. Even if I didn't particularly like them, I would appreciate that the alternative option to free missions they present is there.

TorterraEndor
Apr 16, 2007, 03:50 PM
Nah, I mean cinematics like they did offline. Not voice acting obviously, but not forcing us to press enter would be nice. I do enjoy the story missions and get anxious when a new one is being released.

I guess the idea that I dislike them got sent understandably, but I do enjoy them. Just wanted to clear it up

Sinue_v2
Apr 16, 2007, 03:57 PM

What about nanotechnology? Bioenginering? Physics? There's a lot of difference sources they could have used for much of their technology without leaning on Photons so hard that they take on a panaciatal role so profound that it borders on magic.

Oh wait... Photons are SPIRITUAL TOO! They ARE responsible for magic! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

Still.. it would have been easy enough to create a very important niche for Photons to fill in PSU's universe in order to stay profoundly important to the storyline, without making damned neared every single technology in the game dependant on them. Photon Communicators, Photon swords, Photon Bombs, Photon induced nanoblast, Photon storage devices, Photon Teleporters, Photon Lighting, Photon Propulsion, Photon Magic, Photon therapy, photon shoes, photon photos, photon dildos....

It's gotten increadibly stupid.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-04-16 13:58 ]</font>

Kinako78
Apr 16, 2007, 04:40 PM
Bioengineering...gee, how do you think Newmans and Beasts were created?

Sinue_v2
Apr 16, 2007, 05:46 PM
Yes, and aside from that small reference of technology used over a millenia ago - you don't hear or see much of anything at all about it. Aside from perhaps SEED engineering, which is intricately tied with photons, you don't hear much about it at all.

I never said that those technologies DIDN'T exist within PSU. I said that PSU relies far to heavily on Photon technology when there are other perfectly applicable, far more believable, and far more common sence technologies out there to use. They push it to the point of childish absurdity.

Sychosis
Apr 16, 2007, 06:14 PM
Perhaps their large reliance on photon energy could be a set up for yet another fall of civilization?

Would be inline with the usual darkness of Phantasy Star stories.

omegapirate2k
Apr 16, 2007, 06:24 PM
YOU HAVE GOGGLES FOR A REASON

A2K
Apr 16, 2007, 06:27 PM
It never bothered me, to be honest. Just another, albeit ubiquitous, part of the game world, no different than say, electricity, but with a much wider application given its unique properties: it's energy, can distort space, and can be manipulated to varying degrees by conscious will.

Actually, the development of photon-based technologies seems somewhat analogous to the concept of a technological singularlity: just replace "development of human-level AI or augmentation of human intelligence" with "the discovery of photon energy." Both represent an event leading to radical and rapid changes and developments of the world's technology. Much of the "traditional" technology is still there, but it's likely been augmented or improved in some way by photons.

Xaeris
Apr 16, 2007, 06:28 PM
How does that saying go? "Technology, sufficiently advanced, is indistinguishable from magic." I think that applies to photons here.

pionear
Apr 16, 2007, 06:29 PM
Yeah, too me the online story missions are kinda boring. I just finished Chap. 4 (the one with Maya as the focus?) and I almost feel asleep playing them. Hopefully they will pick up.

ShadowDragon28
Apr 16, 2007, 06:38 PM
Photons are just energy it seems (coverted into various levels electricity or used in pure concentrated form), like electricity it powers tech devices of all sorts it seems. "Nano" is a term used for certain devices...

Like the "Nano-Trancer" is better written as "Nano-Transformer" in that it probably uses nano-sized components that make up a "Star Trek" Transporter-like device that can hold a object's molecular pattern in a memory unit and can then re-materialize that object. PSU does have limited range Teleporter Units...

I don't mind the focus on "photon tech" incoperated in the story, all the other aspects are interesting to me as well. I like governmental/social Machavellian manipulations and corruption style stories. I think the focus on Photon tech might be reveled eventually.

My speculation:
Maybe all those different photon are collectively "alive" or something..
As in; *what if* all those Photons are part of the "Great Light" and using them to "fuel" everything, etc.

Perhaps everyone using all those Photons in all those tech devices is slowly "eating" away at the Great Light! And that is making It slowly fade out-of-exsistance, or disperseing it across space until the "Great Light" is scattered and lost forever?

Wouldn't that be a interesting revelation! I hope it's something like that...

I speculate this as well:
The SEED was/are basically a life-form that acts like a transmutative virus (like the D-Cell Factor in PSO) [{and seem to have powerful Entropy inducing telekinetic abilities}
and they are probably related to some other surviving Dark Falz,
or a surviving fragment of the Profound that survived and has evovled over the past few thousand year into The Seed and crossed over from one Universe into another....the one with the Gurhal Star System (basically an Alternate Universe version of Algol it seem like to me..) The Seed feed on A-Photons cause A-Photons are remnant raw photons that are no longer a part of the Great Light, which the Seed forms feed on like vultures that eat the flesh of dead animals... but that "dead flesh" are A-Photons...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShadowDragon28 on 2007-04-16 16:43 ]</font>

Kinako78
Apr 16, 2007, 06:56 PM
Great Light...that's a reference from PS4... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

zandra117
Apr 16, 2007, 07:03 PM
I think that the SEED are (altered forms of the great light. After the Profound Darkness was destroyed there was an imbalance of power between light and dark. The Great Light became unstable and half of it became the SEED to rebalance the power. They feed off of A Photons because like ShadowDragon28 said, A-Photons are remnant raw photons that are no longer a part of the Great Light. Thus the A-Photons are altered Great light energy and because the SEED are altered forms of the great light, they feed of of the altered energy.

In the JP version of the classic Phantasy Star, the Profound Darkness and Great Light were a godlike race having a civil war, the great light sealed away the profound darkness inside a dimentional prison. After many years in the dimensional prison the profound darkness combined into one single entity.

What if the SEED are the Profound Darkness before they combine to create the ultimate evil. If we continue to use the relics confinement system on the seed then we are basically rebuilding the profound darkness.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zandra117 on 2007-04-16 17:05 ]</font>

Flwl3ssCowboy
Apr 16, 2007, 07:05 PM
On 2007-04-16 13:41, Kinako78 wrote:

Good ol' phasioned E-lectricity

sometimes

ShadowDragon28
Apr 16, 2007, 07:46 PM
I don't think anything can be completely "destroyed", broken down into component parts yes. But if each component part is alive and has a "mind" and can exist on it's own, then it can gather with others like it to adapt and change.

It's due to this that I think that The Profound Darkness was *not* completely destroyed..
I think *if* It was, then The Great Light would vanish from existance too;
since PD is connected to GL (where once the same race); that like Nei and Nei First where connected, if one dies, the other cannot continue to live either. Only a specialized clone of Nei could be created...

It's like if the "Yin" factors in the Cosmos vanished, then the "Yang" factors would vanish since one cannot exist without the other, the result of them vanishing would cause entire Cosmos would then cease to exsist, that's total "Uncreation" for you right there.

If GL is like at it's very essence akin to "Yang", even if there's a minor aspect of "yin" within it; "Yang" cannot have half of it become "Yin".

GL is etheric-metaphysical (a race of Spirit Beings that collectively became one massive Spirit Entity according to the original PS Design team.)

In-my-view I don't think half of It's (the GL's) essential essense can switch it's essential nature and essense to being the antithesis to it's actual essense/nature.

It's like a Black Hole saying it's going to become an Earth like planet all of a sudden, it's not really possible... Just as an Earth-like planet would not become a black hole all of a sudden..

Half the light from a light bulb just doesn't become swiss cheese or a moth.
Heck, it took *billions* of years just for the basic particles of the Universe/energy to even start to form basic particals of matter...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShadowDragon28 on 2007-04-16 17:53 ]</font>

Kinako78
Apr 16, 2007, 08:08 PM
On 2007-04-16 17:05, Flwl3ssCowboy wrote:

On 2007-04-16 13:41, Kinako78 wrote:

Good ol' phasioned E-lectricity

sometimes

And have to worry about blackouts? No way! XD

Serephim
Apr 16, 2007, 08:21 PM
On 2007-04-15 13:37, Esufer wrote:
...that Sega seem to have been led to believe that traps = storyline.

Every three steps in online story mode = "Bleep, asplode, monomate plz"

It's really. Really. Really. annoying. And not even neccessary.

Less traps, more coherence, plz!

Its getting annoying how each and every Japanese RPG videogame these days' have storylines revolving around stupid plot twists involving things that no one would expect to happen happening.

Except sonic team SUCKS at it, so it always just comes off as retarded. The PSU storyline plot twist was just retarded. I diddnt even feel sad, i was just like "What the Fuck just happened? LOL Are they serious?"

EDIT:

And PSU also heavily suffers from the japanese SUPERSECRETAWESOMECOMPLICATED storyline thing. Perfect example is the RETARDED idea of trying to explain Photons and Technics through science.

Its just stupid. They tried to make it seem like its completely scientific through weapons and Nanotechnology, yet it obviously isnt through Technics. And this stupid idea seems to have ruined alot of things for me in PSU.

In PSO, Photon = weapons, some items, barriers and bodyarmor. Techniques = clearly some kind of Life magic, and even more clearly explained from the fact Androids had ZERO ability to use them. (Humanoid or completely cast or not.)

In PSU, Photon = everything. Although its explained through science, somehow humans and even newmans can no longer use it without the help of freaking Technology, and it steals away TONS of the feeling of the game/story. Instead of Forces being super kickass people walking in robes and blowing things up with their fingers, they walk around with ugly Wands and staves.

Although its been explained as another "SUPERSECRET TECHNOLOGICAL PHOTON PHENOMANON", its clearly not, because the "DIVINE MAIDEN" (which looks like she would get clearly outpowered by my lvl 50 FOmar on Blue Burst) can do it willfully.

And even WORSE, all the sudden photons now seem to be able to freaking allow you to look into the future and also seem to also be connected to...god?

Just like Sonic Team does with everything that involves writing, they've ruined the story beyond better repair. They should have followed what PSO did (and did very freaking well) and just keep quiet on the Unknown, becuase it was the Unknown which made that of PSO so amazingly addictive.

And thats where the SEED phail to the D-Cell parasites.

D-Cell parasites were some kind of (obviously evil) force that can infect and physically alter lifeforms drastically, but OBVIOUSLY shows intelligence and an overall collective goal, shown through Rico's documents and the same entity doing the same thing to Flowen.

SEED on the other hand = odd things that come from absolutely nowhere to steal A-Photons.

Now, that really isnt that bad of a evil creature. Its really pretty good.

But i guess Seed just phail becuase they dont Impact the player as much as seeing D-cell infected creatures. D-Cells were comprised of DARK colors, and SeeDs are all colorful, glowy and rainbowy.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Serephim on 2007-04-16 18:40 ]</font>

ShadowDragon28
Apr 16, 2007, 08:40 PM
wow that's some ripe hateraid(sp?)... *sigh*

I don't see how an unexpected plot twist(s) is a bad thing.

Sorry, I don't really see anything "retarded" in PSU's plot twist(s)...simple yes; but I have seen anime and movies with far far worse storylines.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShadowDragon28 on 2007-04-16 18:42 ]</font>

Serephim
Apr 16, 2007, 08:44 PM

"SHUT UP CHILD THAT I LOVE DEARLY WITH ALL MY HEART BUT WANT TO SHUT UP"

*disciplines*

*crushes windpipe*

"...........oops"

*tries to kill everyone else with his uber 100 ton Gundam that happens to be able to teleport miles at a time*

---WAIT IM NOT DONE-----

"omg hai ethan i havent seen u in a while im uber new maiden now"

"K"

*peforms divination*

*peusdeo dies *

"OMGNOKAREN"

LOL FIND OUT NEXT TIME

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Serephim on 2007-04-16 18:48 ]</font>

ShadowDragon28
Apr 16, 2007, 08:47 PM
uh...yeeeah..ok...
That referance to some weird Gundam dialgo escapes me.
The last Gundam series I watched or liked was Gundam Wing. *shrugs*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShadowDragon28 on 2007-04-16 18:53 ]</font>

Serephim
Apr 16, 2007, 08:50 PM
Gundam is born of Suck and Fail anyway.

Like i said, i HATE technical Anime. Unless they end in less than 50 episodes, i cant watch them.

Full Metal Alchemist was the only one i could watch. Its actully the only one i really liked...

.....Until the retarded plot twists emerged towards the end. Like i said, it always is compromised of something really out of the box that no one will expect, but instead of actully incorporating some kind of MISSED plot twist into the storyline, they just do something really stupid.

I believe with all the stupid attention to the Really awesome yet HORRIBLY overrated Final Fantasy 7 storyline/plot twist is causing the problem. Im guessing everyone thinks its cool to kill off one of the good characters to make everyone feel bad, but UNFORTUNALLY its just becoming Cliche.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Serephim on 2007-04-16 18:53 ]</font>

ShadowDragon28
Apr 16, 2007, 08:55 PM
If you don't like the storyline, sure fine, but don't spoil it for those that haven't played the story episodes yet.

And, who hurt you? 0_o If you don't like the storyline fine, but allow others to judge for themselves and enjoy it or not enjoy it. All the negativity is a bit much there dude.

No need to hate on Gundam either. The original series "Mobile Suit Gundam", "Mobile Suit Z Gundam" and "Mobile Gundam ZZ" became *huge* cult classics for a reason with a *huge* fanbase in Japan back in the mid '80's, it didn't get that way by being "suck" and "fail".... *sigh*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShadowDragon28 on 2007-04-16 18:59 ]</font>

ChaotistRazor
Apr 16, 2007, 09:03 PM
On 2007-04-16 03:17, Feelmirath wrote:

On 2007-04-16 02:10, ChaotistRazor wrote:

You, good sir, win a thousand internets.

Thanks. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

While on the subject of technology, I want to see the return of NETRIUM BATTERIES!

GG's > Vol Bros.

Sinue_v2
Apr 17, 2007, 03:38 AM
Photons are just energy it seems

Photons are light... that kind of, you know, the entire reason why they were implimented in PSO and later PSU. Light vs. Darkness... plus it was an easy to way to pimp our the Light Saber (photon saber) which was once again uber popular thanks to the new Star Wars flicks. The Stag Cutlery was a total rip on Darth Maul's double saber - as were all double sabers.

So some of the technology seems extremely redundant. "Photon Communications"? You mean like fucking Radio and Television, which also transmit their broadcasts on light waves? Even in today's society we use light for a lot of different purposes - but we don't call it photon technologies. Your wireless router (assuming you have one) uses light to transmit this message to your computer... and fiber optics are used at more than one point to move this message from my computer, to the databasse, to your system. We don't call it Photon Technology.

Even if light particals were a revolutionary advancement in technology the way the microprocesssor has done for us, by simply labeiing every single innovation they have a "Photon Device" is a cheap and dumbed down way to interject sci-into their fi with no attempt to make it at all seem scientific. Thus it ends up being stupidly cliche and overused, like a bad chindren's anime, rather than a half-way believeable technology - the way Star Trek, or even the way previous Phantasy Star games portrayed it.

Laconium, for example, was a spiritual metal that glowed when enveloped in the darkness of Ryukros's eclypse. It's quite easy to make the supposition (expecially with PSU's insistance on Photons being spiritual) that Laconium was a photonic metal tied closely with the Great Light. You never heard it being called that though... it was simply Laconium.

As in; *what if* all those Photons are part of the "Great Light" and using them to "fuel" everything, etc.

I thought that was obvious.... even in PSO you had players fighting the darkness with Photon (Light) weapons.. and photons became highly active in the ruins where the DF was waiting. Light vs. Darkness....

Great Light...that's a reference from PS4...

It's also a reference to PSO, if you would read the inscriptions on the ruins door and on the three ringed symbols. PSU's "Holy Light" the Communion worships is the Great Light. PS, PSO, and PSU may not be connected directly - but they are all connected in at least this way to the Great Light and Profound Darkness.

I think that the SEED are (altered forms of the great light. After the Profound Darkness was destroyed there was an imbalance of power between light and dark.

I doubt it, because the Profound Darkness was sealed away totally in another dimension for eons upon eons. If there needed to be a balance in the universe, then another PD-like force would have arisen from the Great Light long ago. Perhaps if you follow the Japanese continuity you could make a case for a second civil war within the spirtual race, or a rebellion, assuming there are any still left alive outside of Ryukros. Still though, remember that the Profound Darkness wasn't evil when it was sealed away. It was simply the losing the faction of the war. They BECAME evil over eons of imprisionment stirring in their hatred and lust for revenge. They, unlike the Great Light, also congeiled into a singular conciousness. In the western cannon, the Great Light was a singular god who expelled all the negetive and evil emotions out of itself and sealed them away after a great battle. That was a definitive split, and it's not like the Great Light ocassionally falls off the wagon and has to expell evil.

Though to be fair, Tohru Yoshida did make mention of wanting the players to eventually have to battle the Great Light at some point in a future Phantasy Star game. He's no longer with Sonic Team anymore, but the PSU team may have picked up on this idea and ran with it. It certainly would be a traditionally bittersweet ending to have - living free of the gods both good and evil, and of course... all of their Photon technology failing, leaving Gurhal as crushed and broken as Algol was durring the Great Collapse.

GL is etheric-metaphysical (a race of Spirit Beings that collectively became one massive Spirit Entity according to the original PS Design team.)

The Great Light never condenced into a singlar being the way the Darkness did. In the Japanese version, after the war the remaining members of the spiritual race traveled the galaxy and likely died out - hence the reason for their not being around when Algol needs them most. In the Western versions, the Great Light is protrayed as still being around - but being an absentminded or uncaring god at worst, who has simply forgotten about Algol and the Darkness. This is source of Chaz's rage, and why he refuses to fight the Profound Darkness at first... until Rune reminds Chaz that he shouldn't be fighting to accomplish this task the Great Light handed down, but he should be fighting for the people of Algol - the way Alis was.

And even WORSE, all the sudden photons now seem to be able to freaking allow you to look into the future and also seem to also be connected to...god?

Well, considering that the Photons they use ARE remenants of the Great Light, it makes sence that they worship them, since the Great Light (Or Holy Light as explained in PSU) is a god, or a race of spiritual god-like beings. Though I agree that the seeing into the future thing is yet another silly attribute to photons. It's a reference to Lutz's foresight ability (the ability to see short distances into the future), which in the original games was a talent he was gifted with and more tied to his powerful innate ablity to use magic. That's the reason why he was accepted into the Espers and began training with master Tajim to begin with. It had nothing to do with Photons, and even if Photons are explained to have something to do with Techniques - magic and techniques are VERY different beasts altogether.

Just like Sonic Team does with everything that involves writing, they've ruined the story beyond better repair. They should have followed what PSO did (and did very freaking well) and just keep quiet on the Unknown, becuase it was the Unknown which made that of PSO so amazingly addictive.

PSO's storyline was lame. It had a good base to start with, but no strong narrative to follow - and no personal connection to your character. Ep I was great, Ep II was decent... but Ep III with the introduction of GERM and CARDs just got silly. To really boister and strengthen PSO's storyline - you need to make the leap of faith assumption that PSO and PS are connected. That gives a lot of history, depth, and significance to the places and events of PSO - but it also destorys the "unknowns" you mention.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-04-17 01:45 ]</font>

Paramedic
Apr 17, 2007, 04:54 AM
I'm totally fine with more traps or things like that. (Like those little turret-things)

Just, don't make me do that little time-trial thing with the nodes from HIVE cleanup part 2? That was just annoying. I think SEGA knew it too.

Baku
Apr 17, 2007, 05:02 AM
wow so many good points here. (wasn't this thread on traps in story missions XD;;)

P.S:(there are good points,wasn't sarcasm)

Yuudai_Riisu
Apr 17, 2007, 03:11 PM
On 2007-04-16 13:57, Sinue_v2 wrote:

What about nanotechnology? Bioenginering? Physics? There's a lot of difference sources they could have used for much of their technology without leaning on Photons so hard that they take on a panaciatal role so profound that it borders on magic.

Oh wait... Photons are SPIRITUAL TOO! They ARE responsible for magic! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

Still.. it would have been easy enough to create a very important niche for Photons to fill in PSU's universe in order to stay profoundly important to the storyline, without making damned neared every single technology in the game dependant on them. Photon Communicators, Photon swords, Photon Bombs, Photon induced nanoblast, Photon storage devices, Photon Teleporters, Photon Lighting, Photon Propulsion, Photon Magic, Photon therapy, photon shoes, photon photos, photon dildos....

It's gotten increadibly stupid.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-04-16 13:58 ]</font>

look up Photons in encyclopedia It has to do with matter and Antimatter which makes up all things

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Yuudai_Riisu on 2007-04-17 13:14 ]</font>

CrimsomWolf
Apr 17, 2007, 03:40 PM
As for online storymode... I somehow don't buy that: "Goverment conspiracy + photons+SEED+Maiden+Ethan as criminal+ God knows what else" lines... Till Ambition of Illuminus I'll stick with offline storymode. Sure it's not perfect (nothing is), but c'mon, I've seen movies with far more terrible plot. And besides you have that cool scene in offline storymode where Magashi and Ethan duel (the one before you fight Dulk Falkis) http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Zorafim
Apr 17, 2007, 04:01 PM
It was okay for the first playthrough, but I wouldn't play it again. Especially since it tends to almost be as rigorous as the online storymode (just with cooler stuff).

And one thing that I don't like about online storymode is that any level character can play. There's no reason to get to a high level to play it, except to make C rank easier. I would have much preferred if you had to be a certain level to play the next mission, and even then it may not have been the ideal level to try it on.

Sinue_v2
Apr 17, 2007, 04:25 PM
look up Photons in encyclopedia It has to do with matter and Antimatter which makes up all things

Ok...

In modern physics, the photon is the elementary particle responsible for electromagnetic phenomena. It mediates electromagnetic interactions and makes up all forms of light.

It's light... the word photon itself comes from the greek word "Phos", meaning light.

Photons are emitted in many natural processes, e.g., when a charge is accelerated, when an atom or a nucleus jumps from a higher to lower energy level, or when a particle and its antiparticle are annihilated.

Light is a emitted when matter and antimatter collide. Ok... it's also emitted when atoms (say in a filliment) are changed and their energy level (running electricity through the filliment) increases or decreases.

So we just explained how a lightbulb works... great... what was the point? How do you make the leap from a lightbulb to opening an interdimensional gateway to store your swag when you go shopping?

Reguardless, my point still stands - that "Photon" technology is used to the point of utter aburdity in PSU. They don't even ATTEMPT to make it sound partially believable... it's almost magic in it's own right (since, you know, photons are magical) that they have been used as the cornerstone for all Gurhalian civilistation.