PDA

View Full Version : is it worth it?

bigsang
Apr 16, 2007, 03:03 PM
is it worth it to get psu? I heard that it was great but I dont know. Also is psu online free when you get it on the ps2? the info that I get might effect me on getting the game or not!

Dj_SkyEpic
Apr 16, 2007, 03:07 PM
Not free. It's worth it. playsega.com <------ Register there. 8-9$ a month just about?

Kinako78
Apr 16, 2007, 03:12 PM
$9.99 a month, which is cheaper then the majority of the other online games out there.

bigsang
Apr 16, 2007, 03:12 PM
whats so good about psu thats better than pso though?

Yuudai_Riisu
Apr 16, 2007, 03:38 PM
On 2007-04-16 13:12, bigsang wrote:

everything

Kinako78
Apr 16, 2007, 03:40 PM
On 2007-04-16 13:38, Yuudai_Riisu wrote:

On 2007-04-16 13:12, bigsang wrote:

everything

In short terms, yes.

Sinue_v2
Apr 16, 2007, 03:47 PM
No, not everything. You owe it to yourself to rent it, play through storyline mode or Extra mode a bit, and then decide for yourself if you want to go online.

Just off the top of my head, PSO feels much more inspired that PSU.. the music, art, and bosses were generally much better in PSO. Rare weapons were easier to procure, more plentiful, and looked much better. Arguably, the technique system of PSU was far better (though less diverse) as well due to your not having to have a FO weapon equipped to cast them.

PSU, though, has a better storyline, online structure, combat system, better security, and more diversity. Offline mode even features vehicles you can travel on - though they haven't appeared in online mode yet afaik.

So really, it's a matter of taste. As I said, play the offline mode in a rental and see what you think. Decide for yourself.

Yuudai_Riisu
Apr 16, 2007, 03:48 PM
playing psu it is very hard pick up pso again from my experience

Axel3792
Apr 16, 2007, 03:49 PM
Well, not the music, but the community is pretty decent. Small, but more or less good natured.

PSU is the new PSO... an excellent game with only 15 people playing it! Well, there might be a few more than that...

GuerillaPimp
Apr 16, 2007, 03:50 PM
1st things 1st. I know this may be an age old question. I went back 3 or 4 pages and did not see the topic anywhere. Basically i've played PSO since v1 on the Dreamcast. I played the GC and XBOX versions fully as well. Now i've heard mixed opinions about PSU, most often they say that they expected more out of the game and that Sonic Team failed to deliver. I guess i wanted to know that as a long time PSO fan, would i be satisfied with PSU? Oh and im asking about the 360 version. If that helps any

HUnewearl_Meira
Apr 16, 2007, 03:53 PM
To expand on Sinue's input, PSU is really just like an expanded version of PSO. There's more depth to developing your characters, there's more room to run around, more techniques to use, more classes to work with... Basically it's the same gameplay with more of everything. That's what it really comes down to.

Yuudai_Riisu
Apr 16, 2007, 03:54 PM
more than 15 people

Rashiid
Apr 16, 2007, 03:55 PM
funny, this same post is in the PSO General, just PSO vs PSU (giving us negative comments)

i never had PSO, but ive seen videos, and it looks complicated.
friend of myne also said it kinda was, having to press 3 different buttons to attack a full combo (or sumthin about that)

if you REALLY want PSO stuff in PSU, Aol (the expansion) is what ur looking for. id suggest playing now, so you'll be familar with the game

A2K
Apr 16, 2007, 03:56 PM
Give the game a rent and/or download the free demo off the marketplace and find out for yourself. I certainly can't tell you how you'd feel about the game, nor should anyone else.

SolomonGrundy
Apr 16, 2007, 03:56 PM
On 2007-04-16 13:50, GuerillaPimp wrote:
1st things 1st. I know this may be an age old question. I went back 3 or 4 pages and did not see the topic anywhere. Basically i've played PSO since v1 on the Dreamcast. I played the GC and XBOX versions fully as well. Now i've heard mixed opinions about PSU, most often they say that they expected more out of the game and that Sonic Team failed to deliver. I guess i wanted to know that as a long time PSO fan, would i be satisfied with PSU? Oh and im asking about the 360 version. If that helps any

if you are expecting PSO, you will be dissaponted. If you enjoy the TYPE of game PSO was, you will like it.

PSU has the same sort of infininte possibility that PSO has (in hunting, developing your character, etc), but quite a bit of the character of PSO is missing. And there are quite a few changes that old timers, like myself, mind disheartening about PSU.

Mari-P
Apr 16, 2007, 04:16 PM
Overall me like PSU lots~ but SolomonGrundy is right also. For me something is missing from old PSO and me no sure what it is. But me no find self addicted like crazy like was on PSO.

ShadowDragon28
Apr 16, 2007, 04:20 PM
IMO the offline storymode and Extra Mode are a very restricted and somewhat of a poor litmus test of how the online experience of PSU is like.

In-my-experience Extra Mode is a super-simple , super-easy version of "online." It's content is very *limited* and doesn't compare to online. Online the different difficulty types
( C-rank ~ S2 Rank bieng the maximum difficulty)

Online has vast differences in available weapons, clothing, Cast Parts, far stronger enemies, special buffed-up enemies, PM cells that can further alter your Partner machine after it gets it's little andriod girl form;

There's also Kubara Weapon Boards (grey,platinum,grey-ish black and Black weapons that gain great PhotonPoints and Attack Points when upgraded with B Grinders and generally look beautiful)
Special Holiday themed Lobbies, Rare Holiday Rappies or Jaggos to hunt, FAR more Room Decorations, Room Theme Redecoration Tickets.

There are something Special Sega GM gift item givaways (but really tough to find the GM/get their attention due to jerk spammin text bubbles http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif ), there's the
continuation of the main in-game Storyline with new Episodic Story Missions, Co-Op Missions, running your own Player Shop.

Socializing/making friends with actual people in-game to team up with, or you can play solo if you choose too but many missions become very hard when played solo ( IMO).

PSU's offline storymode is like the first season of "Star Trek: Voyager" ranging for "ok" to "so-so" IMO; since it's all just "Act I" that introduces the primary and secondary characters, the basic background story and sets up things (but later episdodes get quite better).

Just like a Sci-Fi series "first season", it's a C+ ~ B+ story that gets *better* online with "season 2" ~the story missions (episodes) that are only online...

IF you like Real-Time hack-n-slash style monster butt-kicking, neat ass-kicking special attacks and spells, hunting for neat loot and making your own weapons and *lots* of character customization options, then you would probably enjoy it.

But don't expect it to be like "God of War" or "World of Warcraft",
PSU is a Multiplayer Online Hack-N-Slash Action RPG, it is NOT a MMORPG, neither is it violent/bloody or ultra-flashy . Groups play Missions in an instanced manner.

I've been playing videogames for a very very long time (i won't say how long, it'll make feel old o_O; ), and in my opinion PSU is "worth it."

Just some food for thought....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShadowDragon28 on 2007-04-16 14:24 ]</font>

DikkyRay
Apr 16, 2007, 04:22 PM
Ohh THIS is where it went XD
Was about to post in the other one when it dissapeared...
Anyhoo, some Aspecs of PSO that i enjoyed are missing, such as free-play, Challenge, Battle, mags....
But at the same time, the new content is really fun, like the new weapons and Pm's

Zorafim
Apr 16, 2007, 04:26 PM
Don't expect it to be as good as PSO. Compared to it, PSU is very generic so far. I agree that, if you don't feel up to just diving strait in, rent it and see if you like offline. Online is different, in that the monsters take alot more to kill and the classes are more balanced, but it'll give you the basic overview of what to expect.

GuerillaPimp
Apr 16, 2007, 04:27 PM
Ill pick it up. PSO was always addictive because of the community NOT the actually game in my opinion. Graphics were ok, sound was somewhat subpar . But again it was the fun of you and 3 buddies hack, slashing, shooting, and rafoie'ing everything in site. So if PSU has that to offer, it should be worth a shot.

Itchee
Apr 16, 2007, 04:29 PM
On 2007-04-16 14:27, GuerillaPimp wrote:
Ill pick it up. PSO was always addictive because of the community NOT the actually game in my opinion. Graphics were ok, sound was somewhat subpar . But again it was the fun of you and 3 buddies hack, slashing, shooting, and rafoie'ing everything in site. So if PSU has that to offer, it should be worth a shot.

Then you should be good to go. The community is without a doubt the best thing PSU has goin for it...

ShadowDragon28
Apr 16, 2007, 04:36 PM
I really do hope a some form of Challenge Mode or side-story quests get added to PSU or the expansion Ambition of Illuminas.

Special side-story missions that would better flesh-out the backgrounds of The Endrum Collective, Church of Gurhal (and why is a religion the ruling government on Neudaiz...Theocracies seem like they'd be ripe with a lot of corruption...),
and Guardians...
What are each of those factions true goals and machinations? Missions that are special cases i.e. "quests" involving those thing would be *awesome* (with NPC's not of the main cast). Oh and somekind of Downloadable mini-games (like the Nights and Chao Farm one's, those where very cool and fun)

I'd love some kind of DL'able mini-games that you could get from PSU...

That's about all I can think of that's "missing" from PSU for now (IMO)...

But what is available *so far* (and there is some more stuff to come...) is pretty darn cool and fun. Just don't play it obssessively or you can get a bit burned out on stuff. Casual to semi-casual play of PSU is what I (and others probably would) recommend. If you buy the game and get online that is... ^_^

Addendum:
With the vast array of weapons, rare enemy hunting, rare weapon board hunting, VAST Character Customization options,and more; IMO PSU is not in any way "generic" IMO..

"Evil Prophecy" and "Barbie" games..now *those* are "generic".... -__-

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShadowDragon28 on 2007-04-16 14:43 ]</font>

Nobo
Apr 16, 2007, 04:40 PM
Totally worth it. better than guitar hero by far. You can play it over and over. It cost $10 on Xbox 360 dont know for sure about PS2. Lots to do. Just needs more and better clothes that you can buy. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_beer.gif

Witchblade56
Apr 16, 2007, 04:46 PM
Having played PSO v.1 [when elf arms units were in gold type] I'd have to say PSU has some very nice eye candy. The customization is there with different outfits from what was originally available in PSO.

PSO was instanced as well. You had to make a room to do the free play along with the "challenge mode" rooms.

The game play that was available in PSO is available in PSU. Yes in PSU you had to press three buttons in timed sequences to get the combos off. PSU differs in that its one button being mashed to get your combos off. Instead of charging your phton charge on your mag you are given "PP" in your weapons to fire off your Photon Arts.

Spells are handled differently than in PSO. You dont purchase spell disks per level like you did in PSO. You level them up along with your fortetecher/force as they progress based on times used and or damage dealt on your enemies you are fighting. Spells are learned then linked or attached to the weapon you are using. Melee Photon arts are attached in the exact same way.

Each color of a melee weapons blade or bullet fired is attributed to an element versus being based purely on dmg. Mobs are no longer classified as native etc. They have base elemental attributes.

There's a great deal more to PSU i think than what was previously there as far as complexity in PSO. Instead of finding weapons, you can craft and sometimes find them dropped off mobs wherever your adventuring may take you.

While i do miss my Davil's tail or Devil wings mags we have NPC's that we raise [similar to what we did with our mags in pso] who come out to adventure with us. They say things when fighting alongside us ranging from the ultra-stupid to cute/funny to down right mean. My favorite [GH452] is "Take this fool!" or "Burn!".

Anyways bit of a long winded post. I dont have anything to say as far as negative about PSU as i loved PSO lots and amglad they managed to fill in the more mundane exp grind with crafting.

Oh one other thing you get your own room to decorate with various items you find and or craft or buy in the NPC stores.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

ShadowDragon28
Apr 16, 2007, 04:47 PM
I suck at rythm(sp?) games for some reason LOL.

With the most recent update that added new cloths and Cast parts, there's alot of interesting mixing and matching or miss-matching that can be done..

More outfits will be released in the near future.. (just need patience for that..and for the updates..LOL)

Witchblade56
Apr 16, 2007, 04:54 PM
Oh forgot to say hi to shadow http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

HUnewearl_Meira
Apr 16, 2007, 05:09 PM
On 2007-04-16 14:16, Mari-P wrote:
Overall me like PSU lots~ but SolomonGrundy is right also. For me something is missing from old PSO and me no sure what it is. But me no find self addicted like crazy like was on PSO.

For what it's worth, fans of the original Phantasy Star series were kind of disappointed with PSO when it was knew, for not being so much like the original series. In fact, many of us held on for quite some time, hoping against hope that a connection between PSO and the original series would be revealed (after all, this is Phantasy Star, not Final Fantasy). Unfortunately, such a connection was never provided. Some of us still hold on, believing that there must be some connection between PS and PSO, though most of us have accepted that they're completely unrelated.

The point is, PSO grew on us, in time we accepted it, and we eventually came to love it. I suspect that PSU will do the same.

What I've observed about PSU's differences from PSO, is that the one that stands out most is the atmosphere of the game, itself. PSO was a very dark game. Your town, your sanctuary, your place of safety, your refuge, was in perpetual night. Caves, Mines and Ruins were all either inside or underground (often both). Half of the forest was raining, and ended with a big fight in a cave illuminated by lava. A great deal of Episode II was spent in dark places, and just the same, half of Episode IV was underground, and a quarter of it was at dawn. Combined with the tragedy-filled storyline (the main protagonists, Red Ring Rico, Heathcliff Flowen and Rupika were also the main villains that you ultimately had to fight and kill or defeat), the game was very dark and somewhat macabre. PSU, on the other hand, is very bright and all about hope.

PSO was about choosing between fighting and dieing, whereas PSU is about fighting for a purpose; fighting for love, dedication, or whatever may happen to be important to you. The fighting is not done out of desperation, as it is in PSO, but rather, it's done out of resolve. That's really the big difference between the two.

Phantasy Star II had a very similar atmosphere to PSO, and PSO is the second Phantasy Star series, so there seems to be some correlation here. Interestingly enough, while the original Phantasy Star was well ahead of its time, Phantasy Star II made it seem relatively primitive, and just the same, while the original Phantasy Star series was well ahead of its time, PSO as well made it seem relatively primitive. As well, just like how Phantasy Star II introduced the series to a new console, so did PSO Episode II.

Phantasy Star III was the least popular of the original series (just the same, Episode III was the least popular of PSO's series), and PSU, the third Phantasy Star series, thus far seems to be the least popular of Phantasy Stars. If the pattern holds strong though, PSU will be the one to wildly break the mold and do something completely different, offering a bizarre connection to previous games that many fans may try to ignore.

Of course, if all of this is to remain consistent, then the series that follows PSU will introduce itself with a fresh new vigor (PS1's intro is somewhat child-like and playful, while PS2 and PS3 are sturdy and dignified; PS4's came in with a keen bass line, that in this context, I can only compare to the entrance of a clever teenager with a great idea to assert his dominance), will cement any loose connections, tie up loose ends, as well as doing a shockingly good job at turning old material into new material. In turn, the fourth Phantasy Star series, if the pattern continues, will be hands down, the most popular.

Neith
Apr 16, 2007, 05:12 PM
On 2007-04-16 13:56, SolomonGrundy wrote:
if you are expecting PSO, you will be dissaponted. If you enjoy the TYPE of game PSO was, you will like it.

PSU has the same sort of infininte possibility that PSO has (in hunting, developing your character, etc), but quite a bit of the character of PSO is missing. And there are quite a few changes that old timers, like myself, mind disheartening about PSU.

Best post in the thread.

Far too many PSU > PSO and PSO > PSU posts, when they're both similar and very different at the same time.

Rashiid, PSO actually was really simple to pick up. You just had light/Heavy/special attacks and techs, which were bound to a customized menu, a bit like PSU's pallette. Aside from that, it was really simple to get into. I'd suggest trying it if you ever get the chance.

VanHalen
Apr 16, 2007, 08:13 PM
On 2007-04-16 13:55, Rashiid wrote:
funny, this same post is in the PSO General, just PSO vs PSU (giving us negative comments)

i never had PSO, but ive seen videos, and it looks complicated.
friend of myne also said it kinda was, having to press 3 different buttons to attack a full combo (or sumthin about that)

3 buttons? lol I remember pressing one. X X X X X X X X X X X X X a.k.a Heavy attack

bigsang
Apr 17, 2007, 04:34 PM
well i guess ill just have to rent it now

Dante1
Apr 17, 2007, 04:48 PM
lol i could see were the three buttons come in putting all the attack tyes on b a and x