PDA

View Full Version : What were your first thoughts when you bought it?

Shirokuro
Apr 18, 2007, 03:21 AM
Yo. I just recently got PSU after months of waiting and playing V2 on the Dreamcast and I have to say that PSU kicks so much ass its unbelievable!I really cant wait till I get XBOX live and play it online http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

To give the topic some relevant form of banter, what were your first thoughts when you bought it?

Also anyone wanna give a newb some tips on early synthesizing and what weapon can I make from the White Glove?I picked about 3 of them up now but I curretly have no boards for weapons apart from the basic ones in the shop http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

--
Mod edit: fix title

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dhylec on 2007-04-18 16:48 ]</font>

Shaidar
Apr 18, 2007, 03:31 AM
MY first thought were like.."Yes! FINALLY!". Hehe..I was eagerly waiting for a sequel to PSO. And my first impressions of PSU was along the lines of "Wow, this shit is fun" (I just love when a game is more than point, click and wait-for-target-to-die) and "Woha, the possibilities of the character design are awesome". Great character creation system. Seeing clones is a rare sight. In other games you see loads of people looking exactly the same, but here it wont go further than seeing several people using the same jacket. Or something like that.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shaidar on 2007-04-18 01:31 ]</font>

Zorafim
Apr 18, 2007, 03:33 AM
I thought, "Wow, Ethan sucks. He must gain some great personality later in the game!"
Also, "Whoa, giant explosions! This must build up to something incredible!"

Yeah, I'm a story junkie. Shame it sucked, otherwise I would have been happy with it. The actual gameplay, though, kind of rocked.

Shirokuro
Apr 18, 2007, 03:38 AM
Well I am liking the story so far but the voices and voice sync I think is really, really annoying. I have just got to the chapter (cant remember the number) but it is the one with the headmaster(one funky old dude http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif) and the rouges attacking the train. No spoilers please,or I will kill you...

Cant wait for online play though

Zorafim
Apr 18, 2007, 03:44 AM
Well, I enjoyed it while it lasted, I admit. As for the "but", I'll let you figure that much out for yourself.

CrimsomWolf
Apr 18, 2007, 03:44 AM
I agree with you... actually i think that voices in English version are inferior to ones in japanese...
Too bad http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Anyway when I first bought PSU my thoughts were: "Nasty, agressive plants, explosing ships and really anoying and very bad main villian... should be fun..."

Shirokuro
Apr 18, 2007, 03:50 AM
On 2007-04-18 01:44, CrimsomWolf wrote:
I agree with you... actually i think that voices in English version are inferior to ones in japanese...
Too bad http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Anyway when I first bought PSU my thoughts were: "Nasty, agressive plants, explosing ships and really anoying and very bad main villian... should be fun..."

My thoughts exactly, same thing happened for FF XII. Well come to think of it most games *shakes fist in anger*

The one thing that really gets me pissed off though is the fact that every time you move on to a new chapter you get a preview of the new one, which is nice to keep my interests up. Then, however it repeats the opening again and again and again!!!!Why repeat the opening so many bloody times!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zorafim
Apr 18, 2007, 03:51 AM
How was Magashi annoying? The only slightly annoying thing about him is that, after he dies, he walks up behind you and says "sup". Besides that and the fact that he doesn't really do anything besides act evil, he was kinda cool.

Also, you can skip the opening. I liked listening to it, because it reminded me of more tender years when I'd marathon through animes.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zorafim on 2007-04-18 01:51 ]</font>

Shirokuro
Apr 18, 2007, 03:55 AM
Magashi is really cool. Might try and make a sig with him....*mind wanders*

In the opening though I really cant wait till I fight him. Just the clip with his armour open and he is holding twin sabers with explosions going off. It will be fun http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

APEXi
Apr 18, 2007, 05:56 AM
couldnt stand the single-player for the life of me. however, i did, somehow perservere through it, if only for the 1,000 gamerscore points.

Dkzero23
Apr 18, 2007, 06:32 AM
My first thought was yay!!!!!!!!!!!! I finally have psu. Then I played the offline story mode and was like thinking wtf ok normal japanese retardednes. I do like alot of anime but man come on my american mind just can't cope playing as ethan waber. But wtf I didn't buy the game to play by myslef right? So I hopped online that means all in all the game was $60. Did I care? NO. Sega could have given me a rehashed version of pso with some new rares and a few more stages and i would have paid $300 for it. So after getting online the first thing I realized is that the graphics are terrible, for a pc game anyway. Graphics dont matter anyway after playing wow for months i learned to lower my standards a bit. After playing PSU for awhile I must admit it made me nostalgic for pso. It just didnt have that atmosphere that only pso can create. But this wasnt pso its a whole new game and I liked it. Was I dissapointed? Yes a little. I was expecting a mmorg based in the phantasy star universe (no pun intented). What I got was a single player game that's bad to the point of being almost unplayable and an online game that recreates the fun of the original pso and adds some. Almost all over-hyped games end up as a dissapointment and psu is no exception. PSU will hold us all over until warhammer.

Eleina
Apr 18, 2007, 07:27 AM
I thought yay PPL!!! no more npcs for me!!!....then discovered npcs where still usuable...I also wondered where all my techs disapeared to..

lostinseganet
Apr 18, 2007, 08:00 AM
My first thought playing it was "Nooo six players why not eighttt.....double pso. After that I noticed a very large lack of content. So I felt that it needed much more at the begining. Playing it I wondered why they did not implement the 0-9 action system on pso that was the bomb. Yet i still had fun or i would not still be there. We need better graphics like in soulcalibur 2 or something.

amtalx
Apr 18, 2007, 08:29 AM
First thing I thought was "Man, this game is a lot harder not having a Lvl 200 mag and whole bunch of rares".

MayLee
Apr 18, 2007, 11:56 AM
Well I didn't get my Gaurdian's License untill a week or two after I bought it. I thought the game was fun but the voice acting for Ethan in the very begining was way off.

Who yells "Whooohoo yeah!!" with their mouths shut?

Also, I fell in love with online mode

Clone365
Apr 18, 2007, 12:04 PM
My first thought was about how lost i was >.< the (written) signs don't help at all when starting out... The online could be better, but it still owns many a soul...............

Amalga
Apr 18, 2007, 12:56 PM
Well, I played through Story Mode before even thinking of getting online. Story Mode played just fine--it's quite solid. It's just that the way the story was told sucked.

The voice acting was way below sub-par (Ethan and Hyuga--get rid of those ridiculous accents). I seriously wonder how these people were even considered. Erin Cahill (Karen Erra) was, seriously, one of the only competent actors there. The cutscenes were a bit botched, too. But Story Mode did a great job of explaining how stuff works.

For the Extra and Online modes, Character Creation was pretty good. The customization was pretty deep. The only thing that it lacked was a decent proportion slider--the "quadrant" system they have now doesn't work very well. I liked it in PSO where you could modify each part as opposed to the entire thing all at once. Clothes could use color sliders, as well, instead of set color schemes. But all in all, solid. Gameplay wasn't any different so no comments on that.

ShadowDragon28
Apr 18, 2007, 03:08 PM
I'm curious ShiroKuro, do you know that your name means "WhiteBlack"? Kind of an odd handle, sort of like "WaterOil" or "ThickSoft". Eh, whatever.

Glad you enjoy PSU, have fun. Peace.

Kylie
Apr 18, 2007, 05:35 PM
I had not really played any MMORPG's before PSU, so I was kind of blown away by it. The colony reminded me of Final Fantasy VIII, and everything else was just as charming. I would say my first days were pleasant.

ZeroVer01
Apr 18, 2007, 05:37 PM
My first thoughts, were finally... I had to wait three days, after I bought the game, due to the weird Japanese text gamegaurd error.

I was happy, because I had completely wiped out my computer just to play this game, and it finally worked.

Too bad that I got online, 30 minutes before maintenence.

trunkszero
Apr 18, 2007, 06:40 PM
my first thoughts was that this game was awesome, but after playing online my thoughts have become &%*# this, lol. in extra mode i can play for 7 hours and reach level 45-50, i've been playing online for the past 6 hours and im only at lvl 9

Finalzone
Apr 19, 2007, 02:08 AM
My expection was lower as I think the game is an improved PSO gameplay side as the latter though fun is will be retired. For me, Story Mode was only a tutorial for the gameplay and a preview for online play. One of big reason I bought PSU is its character creation which is missing on most Online game of its category. If there is clone on that game, it only means people lacks creativity.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Finalzone on 2007-04-19 00:12 ]</font>

ShadowDragon28
Apr 19, 2007, 02:41 AM
My first thoughts were.. "hm pretty awesome game", "hm.. the controls are different, smoother and quicker, battling seem faster paced."

A2K
Apr 19, 2007, 02:51 AM
Import:
"I like it better than PSO already."
"What the hell does this thing say?"
"This opening song is corny as hell..."

Domestic:
"I wonder what Story Mode is like in English."
"Should I remake my import char or start fresh?" (I did both, eventually.)
"IT'S CALLED STARSHIP EAARRTTTHHH!!!!"
"Odd translations... whatever"
"Here goes the rest of my life..."

Shirokuro
Apr 19, 2007, 06:55 AM
On 2007-04-18 13:08, ShadowDragon28 wrote:
I'm curious ShiroKuro, do you know that your name means "WhiteBlack"? Kind of an odd handle, sort of like "WaterOil" or "ThickSoft". Eh, whatever.

Glad you enjoy PSU, have fun. Peace.

Yeah it kinda sums up how my life is a neverending-constant bitch. You dont want it but you do.

Anyway cheers http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif I'm starting to get used to the signs and things now. Being on Chapter 8 and I still get a bit lost sometimes....

Anyway I still dont have a clue what the White Glove is for. I have 3 of them and I know they are a 7* Biomaterial but I dont have a clue as to where the board for it is. Or even what it is....

Well I get online I will pwn you all mwahahahahaha *slides off*

PJ
Apr 19, 2007, 06:58 AM
I was excited. It was my first job paycheque, and with it, I bought both the PSU AND the PS2 I was going to play it on.

That was back in November. I haven't boughten any new games for my PS2. Hell, my brother has more games for my PS2 than I do... a shame, wonder where they'll go when I move out http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Kaloa
Apr 19, 2007, 10:13 AM
The day PSU came out I made my boyfriend drive around for hours in order to find a game store that had some copies in and available. We needed to purchase three, so it took some time, but we finally managed and I remember being so happy on the drive home. I had been waiting so long for PSU, and I couldn't remember ever being more exciting at the thought of playing a new game.

When I got home I turned it on though... I was initially disappointed. Not to say I thought the game was terrible, but I was shocked to see just how different from PSO it was. I had read up on it alot, so I knew there were alot of differences, but I guess I wasn't prepared for how many there actually was. Anyways, after a few hours I really began warming up to it. It didn't take long for me to become hooked.

Rashiid
Apr 19, 2007, 10:15 AM
my 1st thoughts?

"What is this...PSO everyones talking about?"

GuerillaPimp
Apr 19, 2007, 01:16 PM
Well I picked up PSU earlier this week and i've heard mixed reviews about the game. Personally the offline content isn't as good as it could be (considering past phantasy star games) And at the sametime it's not as horrible as its been called as well. But I think the offline game is to serve as a tutorial for the online. But it sucks that you can't carry ANYTHING from offline to online even after you complete offline! No costumes, no meseta, no weapons, no armor, no nothing. It's only worth gamerscore points. I've yet to get online yet. But I'm anxious to do so. I will probaly be online by the weekend.