PDA

View Full Version : New discoveries and underused weapons

amtalx
Apr 19, 2007, 06:37 AM
Up until yesterday I spent all of my ~450 some hours playing my ranger thinking that laser cannons were a just a big piece of garbage you hoisted over your shoulder. Out of sheer boredom and the desire to spend some money, I bought a Thunder Cannon and Mayalee Prism. Shortly afterwards, I discovered how awesome a weapon it is, though very specialized. Now when I run around I wonder "Why don't all rangers have this?"

Does anyone else have any moments where they discovered something to be useful that they thought was useless before? or think that there is a weapon type that people don't use enough?

Rashiid
Apr 19, 2007, 06:40 AM
i feel im the only fortetecher that uses a rod....

Raysa
Apr 19, 2007, 06:41 AM
Rods are ugly. I quit being a force cause of them D:

Also, Laser Cannon's are made of sheer win D:.

Rashiid
Apr 19, 2007, 06:46 AM
4 spells, higher PP and TP....and they look 50x better than wands (A rank rods)

nowdays i dont see too many ppl using Slicers......
(lol!!....no? no laughs, not a haha? not even a titter? hmm...tough thread....)

Dj_SkyEpic
Apr 19, 2007, 06:50 AM
Barta/Zonde ;D Very useful technics which are underused.
With Barta, I had the ability to do around 800-1000s on multipile targets a shot ( considering the mob was fire-based.)

Sychosis
Apr 19, 2007, 06:51 AM
On 2007-04-19 04:40, Rashiid wrote:

LIES AND SLANDER!!

Raysa
Apr 19, 2007, 06:51 AM
Well statwise I guess they're nice, but they're still ugly in my opinion.

amtalx
Apr 19, 2007, 06:57 AM
I use rods almost exclusively on my techer (plus a bow and a wand for quick casting)...I'll have to take a look into the Barta/Zonde thing though. I don't have either of those.

Shirokuro
Apr 19, 2007, 06:58 AM
The ability to run away when you know you will die...not really a weapon but still used in battle for survival...

PJ
Apr 19, 2007, 07:00 AM
I use Rods almost exclusively, cause they're better.

I MIGHT have a Resta Wand (Rather than my Resta Rod) when my dude can equip Cards as a Fortetecher. That was one of the things I liked as Guntecher.

ayrista
Apr 19, 2007, 07:07 AM
sarchasm gets nowhere here, just floats around without a landing spot.

Shiro_Ryuu
Apr 19, 2007, 08:40 AM
I feel that my beast fortefigther is one of the few people, let alone male beast who uses twin claws. I have only seen 2 people, including myself to ever even use the ultimate twin claw PA.

DEM_CIG
Apr 19, 2007, 08:50 AM
On 2007-04-19 04:50, Dj_SkyEpic wrote:
With Barta, I had the ability to do around 800-1000s on multipile targets a shot ( considering the mob was fire-based.)

Barta is the most under rated tech in the game.

Aralia
Apr 19, 2007, 09:29 AM
On 2007-04-19 06:40, Shiroryuu wrote:
I feel that my beast fortefigther is one of the few people, let alone male beast who uses twin claws. I have only seen 2 people, including myself to ever even use the ultimate twin claw PA.

was I one? eh? eh? (I best have been one of them) >.>

My fem-beast is all about the twin claws when she's fF. as a FG she's all about the single and twin daggers though. sexy, sexy PA's >.>
Though.. the ult and advanced twin claw pa's are just as sexy.

PMB960
Apr 19, 2007, 09:31 AM
On 2007-04-19 04:50, Dj_SkyEpic wrote:

I am amazed how many people hate those techs. I posted this in another thread to but I will post it again here. The best place to use these techs is some place with a door way/narrow passage. When I play Crimson I just stand back in the hallways. All the monsters crowd towards me and get stuck at the entrance forcing them to enter single file. With Barta I can do almost as much damage as Gibarta with much less risk. It also works well when you can get enemies to follow you back though a door way. I never seen people use those techs in these situations. Instead they run up there with Gibarta and get smacked around.

Omega_Weltall
Apr 19, 2007, 09:44 AM
I use Barta alot but all the Zonde techs (save Zodeel and Zodial) are almost useless. Sure they cause shock but thats is only saving grace. Grove Fanatics and some monsters on Moatoob are only places where they're actualy weak to electric attacks. When I switch to GunTecher I use laser cannons like a mofo.

CyarVictor
Apr 19, 2007, 09:52 AM
Silence G traps for Gaozorans. Never knew how much easier it is to take one out with them silenced. First Ult PA I bought was Mayalee Prism with a thunder cannon. I love cornering enemies with that PA. Like the large group of Volfu's that are the third spawn in Lab S2 open area. Also, Mayalee Fury with a beam vulcanic can keep large guys, even a gol dova at bay whle your team attacks him.

Kaloa
Apr 19, 2007, 10:02 AM
I really like laser cannons. I've always heard everybody knock them and say they suck so I wasn't expecting them to be and cool and fun to use as they are. The only reason why I haven't been pursuing them more with my GT is because she won't be able to use the srank versions. If she could I'd use them all the time.

@Rashiid: I think A rank rods are ugly. I initially started including wands on my palette because I found A rank wands more pleasant to look at. I still make good use of both types, however.

Rashiid
Apr 19, 2007, 10:06 AM
On 2007-04-19 04:51, Sychosis wrote:

LIES AND SLANDER!!

n0o0o i swearzzzz!!

whenever i join a party w/ other fortetechers, they got a wand/card combo.

as for barta and zonde, my barta (21) hits around 900-1100 on fire pplz, and zonde (17, gettin there) hits robots for 700, crits for 1k

ppl dont like em for the size, since zonde is kinda hard to hit things w/ until 21+

TorterraEndor
Apr 19, 2007, 10:07 AM
Not enough FG use grenade launchers on huge chunky enemies/De Ragan's. I know lots do, but it seems like a lot also don't.

Not enough FG use grenade launchers to keep a group of enemies in a corner, either. Very situational, but very helpful.

Other than that, I agree with the OP. Laser cannons get a bad rap.

majan
Apr 19, 2007, 10:12 AM

you are definitely not!
especially if you use a /quick unit,any offensive(by that I mean not support-based with cards and bows and whatever else) techer should definiltey use a rod.more power,more slots for techincs = more damage,and easier to heal at all times being able to throw resta in your entire pallete,not just on one 'healing wand'.Im not knocking anybodys build,but rods defintely are considerbaly more powerful than wands,so its definitely a good choice to at least try using them for any attack techer.

faster casting I understand wands are better,but with a quick unit(you can probably get your hands on one sooner or later) rods are definitley very effective.not even mentioning that if you wanna have 3 universal rods with normal techs and heal and watever else,you can always keep 1 rod extra on the side and use that as a power rod,for instance,throwing 4 techs of the same element gets you a 12% bonus.that makes a tremendous difference.with a 7* granarod,I do more 40-60 more damage with teh 12% bonus than the 8* mayrods.I ahvent upgraded that to mayrod/howrod yet but my guess is that it would be rather devastating.

rods are quite useful.matters on your style though.everybody has their own method with wat they wanna do.

CyarVictor
Apr 19, 2007, 10:13 AM
I love clumping enemies into corners with Grenade launchers/mayalee prism and using the gl's as mini-suv's on most bosses like de ragan and dulk falkis' second form. Not enough gunners use gl's on large enemies like jarbas to stun-lock em or topple others like kogg nadds. Not even with the ult pa, but with the regular bullets.

(I don't think I'll touch the ult pa, just fine with the regular bullets stun-locking and lower pp cost)

amtalx
Apr 19, 2007, 10:35 AM
I have been a fan of Grenade Launchers from day one although I dont use them on Jarbas because the immobility leaves me as a prime Megid target. I only recently discovered how well Laser Cannons fill in for the gap created by GLs inability to hit close targets. Anyone know off hand how well the GL Ult PA works? I heard it can only freeze one target when it starts and then moves up to 2 at 11+ and 3 at 21+.

TorterraEndor
Apr 19, 2007, 10:38 AM
I believe thats how it works. It always freezes so long as it hits, but with the huge PP cost..

Personally, I never found freeze to be all that useful. Its lasting time is too random to be constantly useful. Plus theres better BAs you could get with your frags.

CyarVictor
Apr 19, 2007, 10:40 AM
But if the grenade lands on the same enemies after first hit freezes them, it'll unfreeze. Plus with a 120pp cost past lv21, I'm not sure if that's actually good compared to the other's only costing 40pp. I'll stick with the other grenade shots and use my rifle/freeze trap g's if I really need to ice enemies. The gl's stun-lock should be used when jarbas are distracted or from the rear. The moment you get the first few shells in, they are pretty muched screwed. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif Yea, I like the Mayalee Prism when enemies are too close for gl's or when there's a fast moving mob that consists of more than 6. The one downside of gl's is the ability to hit a max of 4 enemies/spots at once.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CyarVictor on 2007-04-19 08:41 ]</font>

amtalx
Apr 19, 2007, 10:46 AM
I think I'll just stick to freezing things with my rifle if i need to. LV4 freeze lasts a good deal of time if no one runs behind me and cancels it. Plus, unless its some creature with abnormally high STA, I can usually land a freeze with only a few shots.

MayLee
Apr 19, 2007, 10:49 AM

Ahem. when I was a Fortetecher my whole eventory was rods. =_=

akratic
Apr 19, 2007, 10:49 AM
The ultimate grenade art is fantastic for pinning a buffed bil de vear, like at the end of Tunnel Recapture. I just unload it over and over and the Bear is stuck while the rest of the party safely beats the shit out of it. I hope this is better than merely stunning it with regular grenades - I'll compare next time I get there.

Akaimizu
Apr 19, 2007, 10:51 AM
I have around 64 PA frags. Only 26 to go before I can get MayaLee Prism. Monster control is awesome stuff. Makes me wish there was an option for a top/down view even more.

*Ever leading the effort to turn PSU into an action RTS*

Cz
Apr 19, 2007, 10:53 AM
i was into using dual pistol and was looking down on xbow. Then one day, i decided to level my xbow to 21 and wow....did i change my way of playing now...lol. I am in love with xbox now. I like how fast it can fire, hitting 3 targets, 15% increase in element, strafe with it, and hit one enemies with 300+x3 = 900 damage a shot...that is almost equivalent to DIGA...http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

CyarVictor
Apr 19, 2007, 10:55 AM
The one most underused weapon.... well item: The all knowing mates. So easy by pushing on simple button, you can heal yourself in an instant. Pazzaak. Omg, it's a amzing. But you ask where can i get these amzing heal wonders? The npc of course, convienantly located everywhere, including in the bathrooms behind Starbucks.

I sometimes wonder if people actually know these items exist.... they seem to think the only way to get hp is for the techer to run around between enemies, across maps just for some little health fix which they could have used in a flash. But the cost, these new missions rack in more meseta than you recharge and use up in trimates/dimates. Laziness I think.... that and greed for more meseta.

Akaimizu
Apr 19, 2007, 11:00 AM
Not so sure. It's probably the company I keep. People I know, generally use Mates. In fact, the only time we ever die is if the damage comes too quickly to use one. Or your in a status where you can't use the item. (A PSU first) (The bad thing about items, is that you still have to wait for the server to register you used one, after you use one)

PSO items, of course, were even more practical so people used them, regardless. (Loved the way items could always be used, no matter what status you were in (outside of being incapacitated)).

Of course, that means less hunters dying to the evil Bill De Veer combo (stun then spin). But they'd use -mates in a heartbeat, then. Or the good ol' Frozen->Megid, or Frozen->"any KO dealing barrage" death.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-04-19 09:03 ]</font>

TorterraEndor
Apr 19, 2007, 11:03 AM
On 2007-04-19 08:53, BunnyGirl wrote:
i was into using dual pistol and was looking down on xbow. Then one day, i decided to level my xbow to 21 and wow....did i change my way of playing now...lol. I am in love with xbox now. I like how fast it can fire, hitting 3 targets, 15% increase in element, strafe with it, and hit one enemies with 300+x3 = 900 damage a shot...that is almost equivalent to DIGA...http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Best crossbow damage arguably comes from the ult BA, but with the crap range of crossbow risking being at low HP isn't very smart.

Plus fire crossbow is better for damage when you can burn every little thing right away.

CyarVictor
Apr 19, 2007, 11:04 AM
Same, mainly refering to randoms that I party with when no one in my group is available. I'd take a a mate before the techer can heal me out of habit. I never rely on a techer, though I do prefer to have one around for the extra damage and buffs.

Akaimizu
Apr 19, 2007, 11:05 AM
My Crossbow is likely to hit 21 in my next play-session. Should help complete my arsenal, for the time being. (Well, actually, the following MayaLee Prism would)

Africa
Apr 19, 2007, 11:09 AM
wow i really love barta and zonde they are two of the most useful spells out. I think the "gi" spells are more for wartechers anyway but at level 30 it becomes a beam of mass damage depending on what you hit .The tech % is the same as dambarta wich i think is ver limited in usefulness.

Africa
Apr 19, 2007, 11:14 AM
o the most underused weapon is a tie between lasercannons for those who can use them and cards and bows for fortetechers because most ofthe ones i see use rods and occasionally wands but have really low bullet levels for those weapons because lack of use

Africa
Apr 19, 2007, 11:14 AM
wow i really love barta and zonde they are two of the most useful spells out. I think the "gi" spells are more for wartechers anyway but at level 30 it becomes a beam of mass damage depending on what you hit .The tech % is the same as dambarta wich i think is ver limited in usefulness.

chibiLegolas
Apr 19, 2007, 02:25 PM
Handguns on FOcast/Focaseals.
Fast firing (mini rifle afterall), SE3, and FPM if need be compared to cards which are slow and only SE2. Useful if you just wanna SE everything and have wand access.
Fans are just better for damage on FOcasts.
And handguns are easier to hit with than SE3 techs (safer too).
But that's just my opinion.

Oh, and most underated item, star/sol atomizers.
Sometimes I see smart ppl using them, not it's not the majority. Hell, as a techer, I gotta use them cause wands/rods are just too slow at times with weapon lag!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chibiLegolas on 2007-04-19 14:05 ]</font>

NPCMook
Apr 19, 2007, 02:32 PM

LIES AND SLANDER!!

Thats my line!

On-topic: Cannons rock, I like to pretend I'm recording the entire run since it looks like a giant camera...

Seriously we need a joke Laser cannon that looks like a video camera! I DEMAND ONE NAO, N-A-O

Raysa
Apr 19, 2007, 02:34 PM
On 2007-04-19 12:32, NPCMook wrote:

LIES AND SLANDER!!

Thats my line!

On-topic: Cannons rock, I like to pretend I'm recording the entire run since it looks like a giant camera...

Seriously we need a joke Laser cannon that looks like a video camera! I DEMAND ONE NAO, N-A-O

Deja's comic? >_> I run around with a Laser Cannon as if its a camera http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

RadiantLegend
Apr 19, 2007, 02:45 PM
Grenade ult PA. i dont think i've seen one yet.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ragolismine on 2007-04-19 12:45 ]</font>

Lamak
Apr 19, 2007, 02:49 PM
I like my capped lvl 20 barta. (wartecher ftw) Ready to get it to 21 in AoI. It better freeze more or someone must die.

DEM_CIG
Apr 20, 2007, 08:12 AM
Barta is one of the best spells cause it hits more than 1 or 3 enemys at a time and it uses aliitle pp, used correctly can be very good when against a large group of enemies...

Eleina
Apr 20, 2007, 08:18 AM
Hmmmm Barta.....Think i'll just stick to megid in cases when barta is useful...As you'll rarely find a chance to hit more than 3 enemys with barta (when in partys) you might as well stick with rabarta.

amtalx
Apr 20, 2007, 09:06 AM
On 2007-04-20 06:18, Eleina wrote:
Hmmmm Barta.....Think i'll just stick to megid in cases when barta is useful...As you'll rarely find a chance to hit more than 3 enemys with barta (when in partys) you might as well stick with rabarta.

It may depend on what runs you're doing. Last night I was pinning down about 4 sets and bees and 2 Volfu with my laser cannon. If enemies are backed into a corner they don't really need to be in a line since they are right on top of each other.

Sekani
Apr 20, 2007, 09:29 AM
People are so busy whining about how Tornado Dance is going to scatter enemies everywhere that they fail to realize how situationally useful it is.

End result? I've only seen Tornado Dance used once to this day.

amtalx
Apr 20, 2007, 10:02 AM
On 2007-04-20 07:29, Sekani wrote:
People are so busy whining about how Tornado Dance is going to scatter enemies everywhere that they fail to realize how situationally useful it is.

Tornado Dance is incredibly useful on large enemies that aren't susceptible to launch or throwback. Other than that Tornado Dance is a 1-way ticket to pissing off the rest of your party. I hate it when I'm doing lab runs on the short spawn and I work that huge crowd of Volfu into the corner with Grenade Launchers and a FG comes along and goes berserk with Tornado Dance.

CyarVictor
Apr 20, 2007, 10:05 AM
On 2007-04-20 08:02, amtalx wrote:

On 2007-04-20 07:29, Sekani wrote:

Tornado Dance is incredibly useful on large enemies that aren't susceptible to launch or throwback. Other than that Tornado Dance is a 1-way ticket to pissing off the rest of your party. I hate it when I'm doing lab runs on the short spawn and I work that huge crowd of Volfu into the corner with Grenade Launchers and a FG comes along and goes berserk with Tornado Dance.

I heard that. You take all that time and pp with mayaleeprism/grenade launcher and some jackass decides to toss every enemy into the open with Tornade Dance, then wonder why's he yelled at. A clumped mob in a corner is easier to decimate than one that can retaliate. At least understand the PA before just spamming the hell out of it.