PDA

View Full Version : I just had a revalation.

Zorafim
Apr 19, 2007, 08:47 PM
As many people know (at least PS fans), the three main planets correspond to the three planets in the original Phantasy Star. And with this, people have been wanting the forth planet, Rykros, to make itself known. Well, I just realized something. We have it.

Rykros is the home, or rather the beacon, to the protectors of the solar system, called the Guardians. Along with this, I noticed paintings of angels in the Guardian's colony, and it's also the closest thing the universe has to complete peace.

Because of these things, it is my belief that the Colony is Rykros. Home of the guardians, who maintains peace whenever the system is in trouble.

zandra117
Apr 19, 2007, 08:58 PM
Ragol = Rycros... the hidden planet untill AOI

The fact that it's name starts with R seems to go with the trend

Parum = Palma
Neudaiz (minus the Neu signifying its the newman planet) = Desolis
Moatoob = Motavia
Ragol = Rycros

Zorafim
Apr 19, 2007, 09:01 PM
I think the planets are named directly after the original planets, while Ragol is not.

Parum is almost exactly like Parma.
Neudaiz could be interpreted as "NewDezo"
Moatoob is so terribly similar to Motavia, I don't even have to say that they do.
Ragol sounds nothing like Rycros, though. Beyond that, Ragol was made before PSU, so they didn't have time to plan that. Lastly, it's hardly a planet made to create peace in the system, while both Rykos and the Colony is. Beyond that, I don't think Ragol is going to be anything but a mission area, similar to the HIVE.

Sinue_v2
Apr 19, 2007, 09:27 PM
Ragol is a phonic reference to "Algol". It wasn't named after any specific planet in Algol because Ragol in PSO was the alpha and omega of the places you could explore. It was the entire universe in that game.

The Guardians Colony isn't a reference to Ryukros because they really have nothing at all in common. Every other reference at least slightly resembles their source material. Rather, the Guardian Colony is more or less a reference (if you can call it that) to other artifical sattelites in PS history. Zelan, Kuran, Noah, ect... perhaps even Pioneer 2 and the Alisa III.

If Ryukros were to be reference in PSU - it would make the most sence to keep it hidden (as it was in the original games) so that they can use the previously unknown planet as an expansion - a new world for your characters to explore which ties in intricately to either the SeeD or the Holy Light.

neovivi
Apr 19, 2007, 09:32 PM
This thread blows my mind.

Zorafim
Apr 19, 2007, 09:39 PM
Hm, I think you're right. If they were going to make the three base planets as similar to the original planets as they already did (Why did they have to make newmen dezoleans? Why?), it wouldn't make sense not to make more references in the colony.
Still, there is the whole Guardian thing, which I can't just put to the side. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

natewifi
Apr 19, 2007, 09:46 PM
Alot of people keep saying that the planets before have nothing to do with PSU, im thinking they're just ignorant dumbasses because its clear the names are refering to the planets Neudaiz, Moatoob, and Parum. Ragol has to have some sort of connection, somebody mentioned that Ragol was some sort of dimension, so there has to be Cave and all that b/s since it is another dimension unless its like some sort of virtual dimension. If thats not the case, and its the real Ragol, best believe Dark Falz is going to make a second appearence on PSU. Im just putting all the clues I know together. :/

EDIT : missed some typos.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: natewifi on 2007-04-19 19:53 ]</font>

Zorafim
Apr 19, 2007, 09:50 PM
It's hard to say what they'll do with Ragol at this point. I myself believe that it'll remain as just the forest, but there is the possibility of them going all the way.
Myself, I hope they keep it as a side level, maybe hunt some alternative rare items there too.

EphekZ
Apr 19, 2007, 09:57 PM
I don't see the point of speculation. So what, the names are similar, possibly referenced...and? Who cares. It doesn't affect the story at all so what's the point? A little easter egg? not worth the effort.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: EphekZ on 2007-04-19 19:57 ]</font>

Sinue_v2
Apr 19, 2007, 10:06 PM
Still, there is the whole Guardian thing, which I can't just put to the side. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Meh, the Guardians are a reference to Hunters. Hunters have been around since Phantasy Star II, but only became fleshed out as an organization in Phantasy Star IV, which is where PSO drew it's inspiration for the Hunter's Guild from. It's actually almost a direct clone, even the guild counter lady's greeting "Welcome to the Hunters Guild, where we enrich the lives of Hunters" is the same.

The guardians are simply a fresh take on the Hunter's Guild concept. Though it should be said that "Guardians" were a faction in PSII as well. Anna Zirski (the blonde bombshell with slicers and a whip) was one of these. Guardian's original task were as "Counter Hunters", Hunters who would track down and eliminate rouge Hunters who used their power to blackmail and intimidate civilians. She was actually on her way to fight Darum, but found he had already been dealt with by Rolf - which lead her to your party.

Parn
Apr 19, 2007, 10:14 PM
Actually, I'd say the Guardians in PSU are a reference to the Jedi in Star Wars, which is appropriate enough considering how much influence that series has had on Phantasy Star since the beginning. The intent behind the organization is the same. The Hunter's Guilds in Phantasy Star IV and Phantasy Star Online were mercenary outfits where payment came first for its members (Alys was an exception). The Guardians on the other hand, is focused around maintaining order.

natewifi
Apr 19, 2007, 10:15 PM
On 2007-04-19 19:57, EphekZ wrote:
I don't see the point of speculation. So what, the names are similar, possibly referenced...and? Who cares. It doesn't affect the story at all so what's the point? A little easter egg? not worth the effort.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: EphekZ on 2007-04-19 19:57 ]</font>
You must have missed the part where the poster mentioned "for old school PS fans " or something of the like. You dont know if it is a little easter egg or a big story line, why would something that refers to the entire PSU solar system from an old game be just some huge planned joke? Sounds like it would be something really important imo.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: natewifi on 2007-04-19 20:26 ]</font>

A2K
Apr 19, 2007, 10:26 PM
On 2007-04-19 20:14, Parn wrote:
Actually, I'd say the Guardians in PSU are a reference to the Jedi in Star Wars, which is appropriate enough considering how much influence that series has had on Phantasy Star since the beginning. The intent behind the organization is the same. The Hunter's Guilds in Phantasy Star IV and Phantasy Star Online were mercenary outfits where payment came first for its members (Alys was an exception). The Guardians on the other hand, is focused around maintaining order.

The Guardians do still take commissions from single clients as well. With the various free missions that make up the bulk of what they do, the "client" is usually the planetary administration, having set up an agreement with the Guardians to issue requests to them to take care of the unrest.

The only real difference I see is the scale of the organizations. Motavia's Hunter's Guild is the "humble beginning" of sorts, Pioneer 2's is inbetween, and the Guardians are a full fledged, system-wide corporation.

Mikaga
Apr 20, 2007, 12:43 AM
Kinda agreed with the whole "It's just a reference" thing but Sega've shown they're not afraid to butcher past continuities so we may yet see 3D Nei.

Zorafim
Apr 20, 2007, 01:06 AM
On 2007-04-19 20:06, Sinue_v2 wrote:
Meh, the Guardians are a reference to Hunters.

Hm, though the same word is used, I thought they would have used guardians as PSIV used them. If I'm not mistaken (being a newbie fan, I just may be), the guardians are the Algolians that the Great Light use to protect Algol. This is also seen with the best tier of weaponry and equipment, the Guardian set.
I would have expected the term to of referred to that.

A2K
Apr 20, 2007, 06:11 AM
On 2007-04-19 22:43, Mikaga wrote:
Kinda agreed with the whole "It's just a reference" thing but Sega've shown they're not afraid to butcher past continuities so we may yet see 3D Nei.

Whoa, whoa... if Sonic Team has done anything consistently it's NOT F#@! with any of the past Phantasy Star timelines. Although they make a bunch of references (welcome or not) they haven't actually ever mucked up the happy little ending to the Algol storyline we got at the end of IV (or mess around with Algol in general).

Unless you were speaking of something besides Phantasy Star?

On 2007-04-19 23:06, Zorafim wrote:

On 2007-04-19 20:06, Sinue_v2 wrote:
Meh, the Guardians are a reference to Hunters.

Hm, though the same word is used, I thought they would have used guardians as PSIV used them. If I'm not mistaken (being a newbie fan, I just may be), the guardians are the Algolians that the Great Light use to protect Algol. This is also seen with the best tier of weaponry and equipment, the Guardian set.
I would have expected the term to of referred to that.

I think the word was actually translated as "Protector" in PSIV, but, I wouldn't be surprised if whatever kanji character was the same and could have been translated as "Guardian" just as easily.

It's probably a little of both, I'm guessing.