PDA

View Full Version : Is there anybody else out there that DOESNT want to see scre

SuperRygar
Apr 20, 2007, 12:37 PM
i for one dont want to. there's something lost on most people when they play a game...discovery! if you look at all the weapons and clothes and new places and levels on the net before you find it all in game...what's there to look forward to? in a game like this,where there isnt very much content as we all know, its best to just go in fresh. that way every next weapon and piece of gear is new and exciting. i know some people only look at a few, some people look responsibly. but i know there's a few out there that have the need to look at everything in the game...its like my friend who uses gamefaqs and strat guides to beat a game first time around. this isnt a rant, its a warning. its applies to everybody really...so yeah, flame on you scoundrels

DurakkenX
Apr 20, 2007, 12:39 PM
It gives some people something to strive for when they look at things that are available but they cant get or don't have.

CyarVictor
Apr 20, 2007, 12:39 PM
Well, don't look into those posts that have the AoI expansion in the topic then. Those Q and A threads are for us to understand how things have been fixed, changed, or what ever. It's not giving us some ultimate way to beat this game if you could in the first place. Omg there's a part on the Acrofighter, now i'm god.... seriously. Those threads are just giving us aheads on the new, not a complete walk through.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CyarVictor on 2007-04-20 10:52 ]</font>

Ryoten
Apr 20, 2007, 12:41 PM
^
thinking the same thing.

natewifi
Apr 20, 2007, 12:48 PM
What is the whole concept of this? There is already warnings in the names of the post, and threads.

Weeaboolits
Apr 20, 2007, 12:49 PM
I think the point is that if you don't look at them you won't get bored of the stuff as fast because you don't know about it, however, I think most of us have already seen the threads http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

ljkkjlcm9
Apr 20, 2007, 12:51 PM
On 2007-04-20 10:37, SuperRygar wrote:
i for one dont want to. there's something lost on most people when they play a game...discovery! if you look at all the weapons and clothes and new places and levels on the net before you find it all in game...what's there to look forward to? in a game like this,where there isnt very much content as we all know, its best to just go in fresh. that way every next weapon and piece of gear is new and exciting. i know some people only look at a few, some people look responsibly. but i know there's a few out there that have the need to look at everything in the game...its like my friend who uses gamefaqs and strat guides to beat a game first time around. this isnt a rant, its a warning. its applies to everybody really...so yeah, flame on you scoundrels

I don't look at most of the pictures, but I did want to see the new weapons. So I've seen those, and learned what classes have gained, but I don't know any added missions and areas and such.

As for your friend with Gamefaqs... some of us don't have the time to do multiple play throughs of a game. In fact I have some games that I never finished the first play through. It's rare that I replay a game and it has to be damn good. I also want to get EVERYTHING in a game, so I'll often look at a guide for some help. I won't read how to beat anything, just maybe find some items.

THE JACKEL

XDeviousX
Apr 20, 2007, 12:56 PM
On 2007-04-20 10:37, SuperRygar wrote:

Video game developers want people to see their games so they can buy them. Without people looking into what a game looks like or how it plays many people would buy a game that sux with little to no knowledge that it did before hand. Checking out info and game design isn't a big deal.

Cheat mags on the other hand bother me personally as it makes the game seem less like a virtual world and more like a rush to be better then other people with as little work as possible. If you cannot beat a game on your own merits then by all means, I'm not trying to tell people with limitted skill that they have to struggle and get frustrated, but if you have the skill to beat a game and use cheat sheets and guides then you need to really ask yourself the question as to why you are using these formats to supliment your own skill....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: XDeviousX on 2007-04-20 10:58 ]</font>

JAFO22000
Apr 20, 2007, 01:08 PM
I don't think that looking at a few screenshots will ruin the experience for me. I took a look at the shots and videos people took of the JP Beta for PSU, but there still was a great deal left to "discover" when I got the game.

I guess this can be likened to a movie preview; some don't watch them because they are afraid (take a comedy movie for instance) that all of the funny parts are going to be shown in the preview just to get them into the movie, thus the movie will not be funny to them as a whole.

On the other hand, it could aslo be compared to a test drive. You wouldn't buy a car without test driving it and "kicking the tires", right? If you're going to make a large investment (and, believe me, time spent for a video game is an investment!) you want a good idea of the quality of your purchase.

I can agree with the movie preview analogy to a certain extent, but it is nice to see what we might be getting come release of the demo. I see of it more as test driving a car than ruining a movie.

DurakkenX
Apr 20, 2007, 01:09 PM
i support using guides for the simple fact game developers are putting in things that there is no other way to find out about certain things than to do it by accident or by reading a guide.

for example in FFXII the most powerful weapon in the game is gotten through avoiding opening 4 treasure chests, one of which is at the very beginning of the game and that you can open any time during the length of the game. There is no hints or clues to this in the game itself and most people would not avoid opening a chest with free items, especially early in the game. So other than by using guides or simply missing the treasure chests it is impossible to get unless...and by guide you can assume i mean "someone else telling you"... Even if you did it by accident you wouldn't know the key to getting the weapon...

There are people that use guides excessively but that is who they are...personally i like to use guides to make sure i get everything, not so that i can beat a dungeon or whatever. I don't like skipping things just cuz some dipshyt decided to make it invisible and expected you to go every tile tapping the confirm button while facing in every direction without any clues as to if something is there or not. Do you know how long a game would take if you did that in every room and area? more than 200hours...

CyarVictor
Apr 20, 2007, 01:15 PM
I mean, people wouldn't have decent to good characters or really any perfect pms(equal less items and high prices) without others showing us the way. Doesn't mean the game itself is lessened. Allows us to have more fun without worrying constantly: "What if I feed my PM this?" or "When can i feed my pm, I just gave her 100 items 5 mins ago" To the decent characters, I refer to knowing which early classes are required for the adavnced jobs and the PA's within that class. I remember when this game first came out, a few hunters bought and learned foie/resta cause a hunter could use a wand in single player, but not online.

Rashiid
Apr 20, 2007, 01:22 PM
i juss dont wanna see anymore 31+ techs.

Ammy
Apr 20, 2007, 01:23 PM
When it comes to an MMO, I like to know whats coming, because its refreshing.
Also, knowing whats coming doesn't matter to me, even if i know the final S rank weapons, its about experiencing them, which matters to me.

XDeviousX
Apr 20, 2007, 01:27 PM
There is a difference between a guide and a cheat mag/site. (Not talking about hacks as that is another topic)

I've skimmed a guide or two at times to check out how to get SECRET items, but I've never used them to play a game full through and I never use them verbatem as I like to do things my own way if possible.

Even still, guides are meant to enhance play, not suppliment skill...

CyarVictor
Apr 20, 2007, 01:28 PM
On 2007-04-20 11:27, XDeviousX wrote:

I like that phrase. Very true.

DikkyRay
Apr 20, 2007, 02:44 PM
I dont wanna see the freakin comments people write after one freakin screen comes.
Christ there are probably more people posting in the AOI thread than pictures

Mikura
Apr 20, 2007, 02:53 PM
I don't think it spoils anything much because seeing pics and actually playing the game are two totally different experiences. Plus, I don't know about the rest of you but the expansion has given me motivation to stay on PSU to lvl my other characters and PAs so when AoL does come out, I'll be well prepared so I can focus on the new content.

Rashiid
Apr 20, 2007, 04:20 PM
On 2007-04-20 11:27, XDeviousX wrote:
There is a difference between a guide and a cheat mag/site. (Not talking about hacks as that is another topic)

I've skimmed a guide or two at times to check out how to get SECRET items, but I've never used them to play a game full through and I never use them verbatem as I like to do things my own way if possible.

tru.

some games, just need em.

like Final Fantasy games, in order to 1) have any fun 2) know that to do, you MUST have one.

i couldnt even finish FFI w/o one, you get lost too easily...

not to mention, if you miss 1 phrase in a screen "Now you must go to-" "eek my pizzas done!!" "-in order to pass" "....SHIT wahh he say? i missed it!!" that happened to me on story mode....

SuperRygar
Apr 20, 2007, 04:44 PM
yeah, the guide comment was just on a side note. and the car analogy isnt quite the same. im not buying a new car, im getting the same car but better. we all already know the in's and out's of the gameplay. 98% chance thats staying the same. so we already know we'l like the exspansion. so, i for one will just wait patiently until i get it, bring my character over, and start exploring. its just one part of making this game fun and long lasting. this game certianly has everything it needs to be a great ful-filling experience but most people get everything right away and just ruin the game, imo. its been proven that ppl want things quicker these days, i guess leveling up is no exception

Amalga
Apr 20, 2007, 08:56 PM
If seeing the screenshots beforehand bothers you so much, then it's upon you to refrain from looking at them. Simple as that.

"So flame on, scoundrels." Are you serious? Do you actually think that what you said is so revolutionary that people would bother with that?

People want to see shots of an early build because they want to know what to expect. It's good to know if a game will be worth waiting for and how it will affect what they already do. Granted, yes--they run the risk of disappointing themselves when what they get isn't what they were promised (cough*halo2*cough). But it's something to look forward to.

People either know the risks of pre-looking or are blissfully ignorant to them. No need to "warn" people and act like you know more.

Alisha
Apr 21, 2007, 12:06 AM
what you need to realize is that not all humans are explorers. some are hunters or gatherers. also seeing screenshots of something is not even close to experiencing it yourself.