PDA

View Full Version : Why is the new intro music for AOI so bad?

LozengeofLove
Apr 21, 2007, 02:57 PM
I just finished watching the new intro movie for AO((Home Page) and it features possibly the worst intro music of all time! Is Sega really that oblivious to how bad the music really is? Or is this intentional? Could we possibly force Sega to change it with a massive petition?

HUnewearl_Meira
Apr 21, 2007, 02:59 PM
That's touchy ground, Lozenge. I don't see that there's anything wrong with the music, myself. I don't see myself sticking it in WinAMP and listening to it endlessly, but my opinion is that it does the job it needs to.

Criss
Apr 21, 2007, 03:03 PM
The word "bad" is relative, because I personally don't see how that is the "worst intro music off all time". Decent lyrics and voice, groovy guitar riff, much less cheesiness than the old one... This is a few dozen times better than the PSU Ep1 intro music, I like it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Niered
Apr 21, 2007, 03:06 PM
I really dont get this hatred for the new intro music. The old one was horrible, this new one is such a vast improvement that even if you consider it mediocre its better then the old by at least tenfold.

That, and the new intro movie is so much better then the old one as well.

Packrat
Apr 21, 2007, 03:07 PM
I didn't like the PSU one and I don't like this one. But that's just me. >_>

lostinseganet
Apr 21, 2007, 03:17 PM
Bah I still likeed it even though it was MTV cheesey, but then I loved..magic so goku magic so goku magic so goku hahahahhaahaha magic so goku (>_<)

Cz
Apr 21, 2007, 03:21 PM
is it really that bad? Doesnt matter cause i dont listen to PSU music. The music when i play PSU is always off anyway cause it makes me sleepy. >.>

natewifi
Apr 21, 2007, 03:29 PM
Thats just your opinion about you thinking its bad, not everyone's opinion some poeple liked it. Personally, i dislike it myself.

ShadowDragon28
Apr 21, 2007, 03:30 PM
IMO. It's a pretty kick-ass hard-rock/quasi-Metal style song.
I've listened to a large multitude of songs of various styles across my lifetime, so I've got a good ear and sense for what is a good song/music and what is "not so good."

The summation that a song is"Bad" and "worst" are really subjective determinations actually. I've heard *far, far worse.*

I'm glad it *doesn't* (IMO ) sound like most cheesy J-Pop (no offense J-Pop fans...)

Criss
Apr 21, 2007, 03:31 PM
The only thing I blame the video for, is Leo doing rapid-fire with a shotgun. Seriously, wtf? XD

Niered
Apr 21, 2007, 03:36 PM
YES. What was up with that? He totally h4xed up some ult PA to do that shyt.

Cz
Apr 21, 2007, 03:38 PM
after listening and watching the Opening, i though it wasnt that bad. The music is good. I dont think it was that bad...lol. Saying it to be the worst music is kinda an understatement. Here is the link for the opening if anyone wants to see how bad the music is...PSU AoI opening (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAnTkP6gb4E&NR=1)

RadiantLegend
Apr 21, 2007, 03:40 PM
I think its okay. Nothing too great but as long as i can stand it and not have to mute my tv.

Zorafim
Apr 21, 2007, 03:40 PM
It really sucks to be a musician. If you think it's bad with only a basic understanding of music, imagine someone who actually studies it.
The old song was at least musical. This one is just another random bad song that sounds like it was written by someone who's still in their teens.

Reginaldo
Apr 21, 2007, 03:52 PM
The music isn't that bad. It's not like you're stuck listening to that theme the entire time you play the game.

Siertes
Apr 21, 2007, 04:04 PM
I personally do not like the AoI opening song. I might like it a bit more if they left the singing out, but oh well.

Neith
Apr 21, 2007, 04:08 PM
It's terrible. I actually think it's worse than Save This World, by a longshot. Ah well, another intro movie to mute/skip. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

I wasn't really sure what the hell was going on when I saw the trailer the first time, the video elements were ok, but the music just grated on me.

SirenV
Apr 21, 2007, 04:17 PM
Well... it is a bit droning (OMGHIVELOLARTISTICCHOICE...No). But.. The first verse where they show Laia - Leo is alright - Simple but it moves along. But then it becomes a bit.. obnoxious. I won't say it's the worst, but I wouldn't say it's spectacular by any means. If they know we'll eat mediocrity then that's what we'll keep getting.

On 2007-04-21 13:40, Zorafim wrote:
It really sucks to be a musician. If you think it's bad with only a basic understanding of music, imagine someone who actually studies it.
The old song was at least musical. This one is just another random bad song that sounds like it was written by someone who's still in their teens.

Agreed. This is the main theme for Phantasy Star... and it's kind of treated like a cover song by a mediocre band. I don't know, maybe things like that aren't important to people anymore. But let me just say for example, do you think FF7 would have been as popular as it was if it weren't for Nobuo? (The answer is no.) The main issue is, are the earnestly trying? Or are they just trying to go 'mainstream' to attract players. The great thing about previous PS's was the stylistic music they had.

And on a lighter note, Yeah! what was with that Rapid shot? lol.

Allison_W
Apr 21, 2007, 04:25 PM
I'm going to go stand on the "it could be helluva worse" side. I do like it better than the last intro song--if nothing else, there are actually one or two points where it sounds halfway dramatic.

However, the performance and vocals nonetheless have that cheesy "every other nu-metal band out there" flavour to them.

Now, one thing really bothered me, though it's not so much the music as the video:

They introduced a bunch of presumably important characters, but where was Lumia Waber? Is Allison_W gonna have to choke a bitch?

Parn
Apr 21, 2007, 04:29 PM
On 2007-04-21 14:17, SirenV wrote:
But let me just say for example, do you think FF7 would have been as popular as it was if it weren't for Nobuo? (The answer is no.)
Actually, the answer is yes. The soundtrack was not a major selling point for the game. At the time, it was the graphics, since nothing else touched them at the time.

Hitoshi Sakimoto scored the soundtrack for Final Fantasy XII, and that didn't stop it from selling millions of copies. Nobuo Uematsu composed the music for Blue Dragon on Xbox 360, and it has sold under 200,000 copies in Japan. Music is important for a game, but it is not a selling point for the majority of gamers.

Criss
Apr 21, 2007, 04:30 PM
On 2007-04-21 14:25, Allison_W wrote:
Now, one thing really bothered me, though it's not so much the music as the video:

They introduced a bunch of presumably important characters, but where was Lumia Waber? Is Allison_W gonna have to choke a bitch?

Yeah, and what about Alfort Tylor and Liina? They totally skipped the rogues too.

Helly
Apr 21, 2007, 04:33 PM
We've all known since Sonic Adventure (and maybe even before then) that Sonic Team is stuck in the 80's when it comes to lyrics. That said the music itself is at least pretty rocking. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif The video lacks new characters. Nothing says rehash like introducing no one new.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Helly on 2007-04-21 14:35 ]</font>

SirenV
Apr 21, 2007, 04:34 PM
Oh, well I don't mean originally. Noone knows what the music is going to be like before hand (generally speaking). And I don't necessarily mean gross sales, because people obviously don't buy a game for the soundtrack. But I do think the music helped to give it lasting popularity, and I don't think it would have been as highly regarded overall without it. (Not saying PSU doesn't have some decent tracks, but my point is there is a stark difference compared to this main theme, and to where people want to turn off the music.) But I do see your point

edit: fixed some crazy things!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SirenV on 2007-04-21 14:43 ]</font>

Parn
Apr 21, 2007, 04:47 PM
Old thread: My biggest complaint about PSO (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=3494&forum=1)

This is history repeating itself. And when FF7 came out, there were a lot of people complaining about its soundtrack too, heh... that's just the way things go.

A2K
Apr 21, 2007, 04:47 PM
Certainly more so popular than in the past, but I wouldn't say it's quite hit the "mainstream" yet, at all. If a non-licensed video game theme hits the Top 40, then maybe...

I like this new theme, in any case. It's certainly grown on me a lot faster than "Save This World" did, anyway, although I question whether or not this was really the right direction to go with it.

DurakkenX
Apr 21, 2007, 04:54 PM
the music isn't bad... it's more poetic than it is a song though by any stretch. Not to mention it's a hacked up version, just like save this world was and the only time you can hear it completely is if you have the JP OST as far as i know...

Sharkyland
Apr 21, 2007, 05:19 PM
It's so so... I guess, I think. It doesn't seem to have a certain viewpoint for the song. I mean it seems rather 'open'. Are you good or are you bad?

(Though I still have 'Hero's Come Back' by Nobody Knows still circling through my mind)

Retehi
Apr 21, 2007, 05:37 PM
You know what I'm gonna do? Not watch the intro, and actually play the game when it gets here. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Illpalazzo87
Apr 21, 2007, 05:55 PM
The Music is PSO ep3 ruled.. .__. especially the main theme with that quire boy.. some how it just really matched the game o.O..
This new intro is okay for the first half.. but the last half tends to make me wanna punch the speakers..

radical_ryan
Apr 21, 2007, 06:03 PM
will the song die

Angelo
Apr 21, 2007, 06:05 PM
I don't like it much. And I liked "Save This World" alot more.

And my opinion in music is always right because I'm awesome.

Disagree with me and the kitten dies.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Angelo on 2007-04-21 16:20 ]</font>

Weeaboolits
Apr 21, 2007, 06:06 PM
I, personally, thought it was pretty cool, I mean not the best song I've ever heard, but I liked it ^_^

SStrikerR
Apr 21, 2007, 06:08 PM
i actually like it.

Amalga
Apr 21, 2007, 06:23 PM
On 2007-04-21 16:05, Angelo wrote:
Disagree with me and the kitten dies.

Kill it, then. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

I like this theme better, honestly. I'm not going to listen to it repetitively, but I can sit through it without being driven to eat my own kneecaps.

The PSU theme sucks and does not do its job. It lacks any sort of drive or power that would entice anyone to listen until the end. With the exception of that fun piano transition, I hate it. Magical Girl Transform GET? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif That's what it sounds like.

Skye-Fox713
Apr 21, 2007, 06:25 PM
Just watched the into a couple of times and at frist it was kinda blah but if you watch it a couple of time through it is actualy ok.

my one XD moment about the intro was that Leo was holding a shotgun and it fired as if it was a mechgun

Skuda
Apr 21, 2007, 06:27 PM
There was barely any kickback to the shotgun too. Totally worthy of a "WTF".

SStrikerR
Apr 21, 2007, 06:27 PM
yea that was kinda wierd...... and btw, NOT THE KITTEN!!!!

funnymatt
Apr 21, 2007, 06:59 PM
New AOI music > Current crappy PSU music

PALRAPPYS
Apr 21, 2007, 07:03 PM
The new music... well, it sound kinda emo. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

I think I like the original more. But, that's just me.

Lamak
Apr 21, 2007, 07:21 PM
That music isn't bad. It's fail.

Itoshi
Apr 21, 2007, 08:29 PM
I hated the old one.

Loving the new one.

Rashiid
Apr 21, 2007, 08:31 PM
better then the one we got now.....

either way, not a fan of rock music, so i usually skip intros to any game (cept Saints Row) since its generally rock music

Question
Apr 21, 2007, 08:36 PM
It looks and sounds like a Power Rangers Intro.
I like it.
I just wish there was a full version of the song.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Question on 2007-04-21 18:39 ]</font>

Ryoten
Apr 21, 2007, 09:36 PM
...everything is bad. will it get better? thinking not....

Shiro_Ryuu
Apr 21, 2007, 09:40 PM
Well, the game itself is awesome, but the only problems I have is Maya's lack of screentime in the video despite being one of the 4 people who's cards you start out with in the beginning of the game, and the song sucks too.

MaximumBurst
Apr 21, 2007, 09:51 PM
We should have a slower song...something like:
"Innumerable stars won't tell us where to go; It's a long long run to the palace in the..." Wait a minute...

Sinue_v2
Apr 21, 2007, 10:13 PM
If a non-licensed video game theme hits the Top 40, then maybe...

I wouldn't say top 40, as it actually wasn't very popular, but an edited version of King's Quest VI's Girl in the Tower (http://66.49.226.244/digital/Collection/GirlInTheTower.mp3) was played on quite a few radio stations across America in 1992. The song was writen by Mark Seibert (from Quest Studios, at the time, and perhaps still, an internal music department within Sierra Online.

As for PSU's AoI theme - it sucks. The original sucks as well. They just changed it from cheery pop-ish suck, to pussy-metal butt-rock suck.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-04-21 20:24 ]</font>

Angelo
Apr 21, 2007, 10:22 PM
On 2007-04-21 20:13, Sinue_v2 wrote:pussy-metal butt-rock suck.

Hey now!

Pussy-metal and butt-rock are two COMPLETELY different things! >:[

Don't go dissin' the butt-rock!

-listens to 'Live and Learn'-

Serephim
Apr 21, 2007, 10:58 PM
That music is ages better over "ITS CALLED STARSHIP EARTHHHHHHH!!"

I dont mind it not having many lyrics. At least the music better fits the situation.

AND EVERYONE COUGH UP MY $10, I TOLD YOU ETHAN WAS GOING SEPHIROTH EVIL.

Amalga
Apr 21, 2007, 11:15 PM
It's not Sephiroth evil without an equally-metro counterpart.

... Oh, wait. Laia.

Schubalts
Apr 22, 2007, 12:06 AM
Guess I'm the only one who likes them both, then?(OHNOESENDOFTHEWORLD)

Arika
Apr 22, 2007, 12:16 AM
For me I think this is worse than the old one lol
different person ,different opinion http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

NinjaSalad
Apr 22, 2007, 02:00 AM
the old one was shit, I cringed every time i heard that whiny bitch splurt out senselss lyrics witha ahorrible accent and tone.

not to mention the music. ewwewweww.

Makojin
Apr 22, 2007, 02:24 AM
I they both themes are pretty much on par

What more important is that the mood of the series is definitely changing. I believe the music is supposed to reflect a more complicated storyline than just "You guardians just fight the seed and stuff". Now, "okay, we need to find out who's good or bad."

Thankfully the video offers no new clues to the story. Laia and Ethan are still at odds. One clue it does suggest is that perhaps the character you play is a custom character lke in the Online story. This might give us a reason to pick up Extra mode again.

Zarbolord
Apr 22, 2007, 02:54 AM
I think its a good trailer music. Attracts the attention of most players if not all (as you've noticed it has eve attracted those who don't like it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif ). I don't personally qualify it excellent, but it is decent and does the job.

Alisha
Apr 22, 2007, 03:41 AM
my problem with the music isnt that it sucks but it doesnt fit. when i think of sci fi i think of techno or something epic sounding like the star wars theme or the original pso theme. but it baffles me how they go from episode 3(the best music in the online series) to this when it has some of the same composers.

omegapirate2k
Apr 22, 2007, 03:44 AM
Expansion intro music >>> Original intro music

Omega_Weltall
Apr 22, 2007, 03:50 AM
am i the only one who likes both versions? in the 1st theme, nice music, the singer is good... just bad bad lyrics... same for the new one

Miyavizm
Apr 22, 2007, 03:50 AM
I actually liked the music, I was skeptical at first though so I guess I understand what you mean.

lol@edit: Annnd I have to agree with Omega. I'll take the new intro music over the originals any day. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Miyavizm on 2007-04-22 01:52 ]</font>

omegapirate2k
Apr 22, 2007, 03:52 AM
On 2007-04-22 01:50, Omega_Weltall wrote:
am i the only one who likes both versions?

Yes, yes you are.

Omega_Weltall
Apr 22, 2007, 03:56 AM
well damn...

AnnabellaRenee87
Apr 22, 2007, 05:51 AM
Heh, higher the people that did PSO's music and it would at least be better, no wait the game would have been better if they hadn't taken all the PSO team out back and shot them in the back of the head then rehired all the dev's to make THIS game

At least this song didn't make me want to puncture my own ear drums out, and had a steady beet. (Better than Save This World)

The Music is what hooked me to PSO, when I was in the Forest, it felt like I was on the site of something horrible.
Boss music had the feeling of DANGER in it.
My favorite level jungle really felt like I was standing in a jungle!
The music in PSO really set the mood!

I know this was a thread about the opening song for AOI but I got stuck in a rant!

I mean how hard is it to have 2 songs for 1 level (when there is no monsters, have calm music, and when there is action rev the music up to give danger)

PSU's music is never played on my 360 I just play custom sound tracts of (this is gonna be funny) .hack//G.U., It just works so much better!

At least the game play in AOI seems better.........

Kimil
Apr 22, 2007, 06:30 AM
On 2007-04-22 03:51, Neoistheone wrote:

PSU's music is never played on my 360 I just play custom sound tracts of (this is gonna be funny) .hack//G.U., It just works so much better!

Hmm... i'm gonna go download some of the music from .hack now... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

A2K
Apr 22, 2007, 06:36 AM
Heh, higher hire the people that did PSO's music and it would at least be better, no wait the game would have been better if they hadn't taken all the PSO team out back and shot them in the back of the head then rehired all the dev's to make THIS game

The ironic thing about these statements is that if you did a little research, you'd see that it is the same team: Hideaki Kobayashi, Fumie Kumatani, and Kenichi Tokoi. (Also, newcomers Seirou Okamoto and Tai-hey contributed a few tracks, but the majority are by the former three.)

Shaidar
Apr 22, 2007, 06:44 AM
The new intro music is, in my own not so humble opinion, alot better than the previous one. Old one was just too corny. Not that the new lyrics is a masterpiece either, but overall it's an improvement seeing as I can endure it. Hopefully entire PSU will ride along on the somewhat darker approach the new intro has hinted at.

dragoon-girl
Apr 22, 2007, 07:55 AM
Okay, I've been looking around the home page now and I'm obviously blind, where is it?

edit: Found it... v.v I am blind.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dragoon-girl on 2007-04-22 06:02 ]</font>

Schubalts
Apr 22, 2007, 08:07 AM
On 2007-04-22 01:50, Miyavizm wrote:
I actually liked the music, I was skeptical at first though so I guess I understand what you mean.

lol@edit: Annnd I have to agree with Omega. I'll take the new intro music over the originals any day. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Miyavizm on 2007-04-22 01:52 ]</font>

Off-topic: Woohoo, Miyavi http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

EspioKaos
Apr 22, 2007, 09:03 AM
On 2007-04-22 01:52, omegapirate2k wrote:

On 2007-04-22 01:50, Omega_Weltall wrote:
am i the only one who likes both versions?

Yes, yes you are.

No; no you're not. I like both songs, as well.

I mean how hard is it to have 2 songs for 1 level (when there is no monsters, have calm music, and when there is action rev the music up to give danger)

According to the composers, pretty damn difficult. Having dynamic music for a level requires a composer to write two base songs: as you've already said, a calm theme for exploration and a more action-oriented theme for when you're fighting enemies. However, if you want the songs to actually blend together and not just clip into each other without any form of transition, the composer will have to write multiple bridges to cover numerous circumstances. For the sake of this example, we'll say a song has ten smaller sections to it, all consisting of four to eight unique bars each. Multiply this by two to accommodate the calm and battle versions of the song which are the exact same length, and follow the exact same chord progression throughout their entirety. Now we're up to twenty sections. Next, you'll have to write a two to four bar intro and outro for each of those sections; one that will lead into the battle music from the calm music and then another to lead to the calm from the battle. What's that bring us up to? Forty. That accounts for ten segues from calm to battle and ten from battle to calm. This example, however, is ideal. Take what Fumie Kumatani said in an interview that came with the soundtrack for PSO Ep.I&II. She had to write over 70 individual pieces to a song and test them out over and over again until she was able to make everything merge and transition into each other properly. And that was just for one level theme.

Now, do you still think it's so easy?

dragoon-girl
Apr 22, 2007, 09:12 AM
It's ok... I liked the old one better.

Puppet_Papaya
Apr 22, 2007, 11:43 AM
My favorite level jungle really felt like I was standing in a jungle!
Because you were standing in a jungle!

Serephim
Apr 22, 2007, 02:26 PM
On 2007-04-21 19:40, Shiroryuu wrote:
Well, the game itself is awesome, but the only problems I have is Maya's lack of screentime in the video despite being one of the 4 people who's cards you start out with in the beginning of the game, and the song sucks too.

Sonic Team..

Maya has retardedly huge breasts, but its REALLY sad how Sonic Team decided to just make them a huge chest lump with an ugly boob texture in the middle of them.

And i really, REally, REALLY hope they change Hyugga's outfit.

See, thats what i mean by "ugly PSU clothing style". Who the hell wants to watch someone saberfight with those fucking clothes on? It really just ruins the entire mood, i sware it looks like he was dressed for an evening at the Cyber Cafe to play halo all day rather than to go FIGHT.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Serephim on 2007-04-22 12:27 ]</font>

Zorafim
Apr 22, 2007, 02:33 PM
Yay, someone who agrees with my opinion about PSU's clothing being stupid. I swear, that's one of the main reasons I rolled cast. They're the only race that actually has anything remotely similar to fantasy in them.

Jey
Apr 22, 2007, 03:20 PM
Uh. How does robot = fantasy?
Besides, I see people complaining a lot about Hyuga's clothes, but I don't see anyone complaining about girls in this game wearing hotpants and a bikini-top while fighting.

Anyway, the new song isn't anything musically spectacular, but it's catchy (to me, anyway). I listen to a lot of dance mixes and trance to stay awake so it's more up my alley. Video compression screwed the hell out of the sound too, I'm sure the original version sounds much more clear and jazzier.

It also gives the expansion a darker, grittier feel. PSU always felt kind of shiny and waxed.

Zorafim
Apr 22, 2007, 03:24 PM
How does robot =/= fantasy? Especially when compared to raving skater punks?
Besides, name another race that has heavy armor and long skirts, as well as being able to look like a fish.

VanHalen
Apr 22, 2007, 03:25 PM
It'll grow on me probably the 3rd time I hear it like with "Save this World". I'm not going to lie for awhile that was my favorite song for two weeks and thats hard for a videogame song to do in my favorite song list.

Zorafim
Apr 22, 2007, 03:27 PM
I'll listen to it perhaps once every two weeks, like I've been doing with save this world, without much trouble. Anywhere above that would be way too much for me to handle.
I still want more mature music, though. Where's my Bach?

MomoHana
Apr 22, 2007, 03:42 PM
I only part when he starts singing the lyrics...the part in the beginning.

PJ
Apr 22, 2007, 03:55 PM
On 2007-04-22 13:24, Zorafim wrote:
Besides, name another race that has heavy armor and long skirts, as well as being able to look like a fish.

Thankfully, none, cause you've pretty much just defined ugly, NOT fantasy.

Mikura
Apr 22, 2007, 04:09 PM
Everyone seems to be pretty split on the music but personally, I don't think it's THAT bad. Not great but...better than the first intro music in my opinion. PSU's intro sounds like something out of a cookie cutter anime series. Least this one kinda got me more pumped. And from some of the tracks I've heard in-game, AoL is shaping up to have a better soundtrack overall than PSU.

Zorafim
Apr 22, 2007, 04:12 PM
I don't see the new intro to be any less cookie cutter, myself. It just has less music and more, um, whatever you call that. Still very generic, if you ask me.

On 2007-04-22 13:55, PJ wrote:
Thankfully, none, cause you've pretty much just defined ugly, NOT fantasy.

Luckily, you also dislike the original PS series, meaning that you have bad taste. Thus, I'm happy to say that we have differing opinions.

Mikura
Apr 22, 2007, 04:29 PM
Well, don't get me wrong. The new music is nothing earth shattering or revolutionary but I still find it at least more exciting than the original intro. But to each their own.

Jey
Apr 22, 2007, 04:31 PM
PSU is science fiction with fantasy melee elements with technobabble magic, in my opinion. Robots generally don't fall under the fantasy portion, no matter how much you try to fancy yours out to be a water elemental or whatever.

More mature music doesn't tend to fit an action-adventure based fighting system. Bach may get YOU swinging a sword, but to the majority of players, I'm sure it doesn't. In console RPGs in general, though there are always heavier scenes with more serious, melodic music, their battle themes are almost always faster paced remix-style tunes.

More Mizuraki-style stuff would seriously make me happy though. I can see why people aren't happy with PSU music in general as it doesn't set much of an ambiance, but sheesh

And yeah, I wish there would have been seamless idle/fight music transitions ala Kingdom Hearts (only game I can think of offhand with them) Considering how few actual field tracks there are in this game, I don't think it would have been hard to make side-by-side music tracks like KH did.

LozengeofLove
Apr 22, 2007, 04:35 PM
I could only imagine what Bo(Tokuhiko Uwabo) would do if he were given a chance to work on some PSU music.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 22, 2007, 04:37 PM
On 2007-04-22 14:31, Jey wrote:
And yeah, I wish there would have been seamless idle/fight music transitions ala Kingdom Hearts (only game I can think of offhand with them)
PSO would be another example.

Parn
Apr 22, 2007, 04:41 PM
On 2007-04-22 14:35, LozengeofLove wrote:
I could only imagine what Bo(Tokuhiko Uwabo) would do if he were given a chance to work on some PSU music.
People would be complaining more than they are now, I can say that much. Most of the music he composed for the old games cycled every 60 seconds. The musical style that people associate with him would not fit in PSU at all, at that.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 22, 2007, 04:46 PM
Yes, I agree. The only old PS tracks I would like to see return with remixed versions are the PSII battle theme (and Trick-Track incorporates parts of this, anyway), and End of the Millennium. A remix of End of the Millennium would be about the best thing ever.

Sinue_v2
Apr 22, 2007, 04:46 PM
Yeah, but the music cycled like that because they couldn't fit entire songs on the cart. There were space limitations. It's hard to say what he could come up with now given full and free reign to create what he felt was most fitting to the game. He did a damned good job with just a few short midi-loops... if the talent is still there, then who knows.

Parn
Apr 22, 2007, 04:53 PM
Space limitations isn't really the main point though. Even if Bo was the composer, the mood of the game would still be the same. Look at the differences in the music between Phantasy Star Online, Phantasy Star Online Episode III, and Phantasy Star Universe. The same composers are involved, but each game features a different style of presentation and mood. The game directors wanted something specific for PSU, and that's why we have what we have. It's not like any of the composers are terrible, because they all have created some fantastic music (and I strongly feel PSU falls under this as well). Uwabo composing the score would have had little change on the overall scheme of things. The music direction would have remained the same.

Zorafim
Apr 22, 2007, 05:00 PM
On 2007-04-22 14:31, Jey wrote:
PSU is science fiction with fantasy melee elements with technobabble magic, in my opinion. Robots generally don't fall under the fantasy portion, no matter how much you try to fancy yours out to be a water elemental or whatever.

I suppose I misused a word. I use fantasy to mean anything that is fictional. In this sense, robots would be fantasy, since they are a product of human imagination. Though, it'd seem that they're more a product of science fiction, which could be seen as another thing all together.
With this description, at least, robots would fit into fantasy much easier than street punks with pointy or special ops. with furry ears would.

More mature music doesn't tend to fit an action-adventure based fighting system. Bach may get YOU swinging a sword, but to the majority of players, I'm sure it doesn't. In console RPGs in general, though there are always heavier scenes with more serious, melodic music, their battle themes are almost always faster paced remix-style tunes.

I bring to you FFVI's "Dancing Mad" and FFVII's "One Winged Angel." Yes, that composer's things do tend to be more pop oriented, but at least many of them were more baroque in style (in this case, I suppose it would be considered "borock"?). I myself find Bach's music to fit video games perfectly, but I just like the guy period.
That said, I'd be disappointed in Sega for implementing "Borock" music into PS, seeing the time period and such. But at least something that's mature at its base before being catered to a younger audience would be nice.

I should actually sit down and analyze PSU's music some day, to see if it's the music that's bad or just how it's used. So far, I've only seen it as a whole instead of taking it apart and viewing each piece.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zorafim on 2007-04-22 15:02 ]</font>

ShadowDragon28
Apr 22, 2007, 05:07 PM
I like the AoI intro song, its not "fantabulous" but IMO it sounds nicer and more rockin' than the originl "Save this World".

IMO PSU's music is pretty good, though I don't listen to the BGM anymore because I've heard each track like 100 times, and alot of it is so melodic and soothing that it makes me sleepy. It's not bad, just the music makes me feel drowzy. LOL...

So I listen to Rammstein songs , "Disturbed: Down With the Sickness" the entire album, or "White Zombie: Astro Creep 2000" while playing PSU (and I love those bands' albums!).
Those get me pumped up mentally, and i don't begin to feel sleepy when I listen to those. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Zorafim
Apr 22, 2007, 05:52 PM
Looking back at the song, I decided to give it another shot. After listening to it, I think I was a bit rough on it. It's not so bad as long as it isn't treated as a piece of music, but rather just something to listen to. I'd still rather have something to get me musically inspired instead of a piece from a boyband or common rock group, but meh.

Astarin
Apr 22, 2007, 06:22 PM
While it's not brilliant, I do think the new theme is at least somewhat better than the old, screechy "iiiit's called starship eeeeeeaaaaarrrrrth!!!"

I also just found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJMc2UoMsI8

It's the AoI intro video overlayed with the opening theme for Sonic Riders. The similarities are hilarious.

LozengeofLove
Apr 22, 2007, 06:28 PM
On 2007-04-22 14:53, Parn wrote:
Space limitations isn't really the main point though. Even if Bo was the composer, the mood of the game would still be the same. Look at the differences in the music between Phantasy Star Online, Phantasy Star Online Episode III, and Phantasy Star Universe. The same composers are involved, but each game features a different style of presentation and mood. The game directors wanted something specific for PSU, and that's why we have what we have. It's not like any of the composers are terrible, because they all have created some fantastic music (and I strongly feel PSU falls under this as well). Uwabo composing the score would have had little change on the overall scheme of things. The music direction would have remained the same.

You make a good point about the direction/mood thing, but my Bo comment was just for pure nostalgic purposes. I think we all would love to see what he would do in this new era of phantasy star.

I was thinking about this the other day, about your point of direction. While the current PSU has a decent soundtrack, some of the tracks are a bit hit and miss. But, that usually happens when your willing to try something different. Sometimes it doesn't always work. But to be honest, the expansion soundtrack (aside from the awful intro) seems to be an improvement so far(like the Del Rol Le song or the new ruins stage)

Jey
Apr 22, 2007, 07:19 PM
Oh, did PSO have the transitions? *shrug* never played it, but KH/KH2 pulled it off very well. At any rate, it would be nice to hear.

On 2007-04-22 15:00, Zorafim wrote:

I bring to you FFVI's "Dancing Mad" and FFVII's "One Winged Angel." Yes, that composer's things do tend to be more pop oriented, but at least many of them were more baroque in style (in this case, I suppose it would be considered "borock"?). I myself find Bach's music to fit video games perfectly, but I just like the guy period.

Turn-based combat is a completely different pace of action from action-adventure combat. If you like classical, unremixed Bach, that's fine, but if I were designing an action game, I wouldn't typically put classical symphony to real-time melee combat, at least not in the process of beating things up. Of course there might be thematic exceptions (like, final boss fights... like the two you listed) but in general? no.

Oh whatever.

Let there be more remixes like De Rol Le(sic)'s boss music please :3 That was good stuff.

Jinto117
Apr 22, 2007, 07:43 PM
This opening song stinks worse then wet grass that has been sitting in a dumpster for 2 weeks!