PDA

View Full Version : Getting Controller for PSU (which one though)

tikigod13
Apr 22, 2007, 07:38 AM
Yea im getting a controller for PSU, which controller is the best one out for PSU. I saw the xbox 360 online and that looks nice. But it seems it only has 8 buttons. Are there any triggers on the back of the controller? Well anyways im just wonderin what is the best one to use.

Nobo
Apr 22, 2007, 07:42 AM
The XBox 360 controller like the PS2 controller has 2 Ls and 2 Rs on the back along with being able to click in to the analog stick. But do Xbox 360 controllers work on PSU 4 PC?

Paramedic
Apr 22, 2007, 07:43 AM
I personally use a Logitech Dual Action 2. (Like a PS2 controller, but no rumble and it's not cordless. It's about $5-10 last I checked)

I did want to check out the 360 controller as well, but I hear the D-pad is a piece of crap? I don't use my D-pad often as is, but that's a turn-off. Not sure how I'd set up my palettes either. (On my controller, R1 scrolls up on the weapon-side of my palette, while R2 scrolls down. L1 and L2 do the same thing, just on the item-side) I guess I'll have to go get my hands on a 360 controller and play with it a bit to get everything in synch.

Paramedic
Apr 22, 2007, 07:44 AM
On 2007-04-22 05:42, Nobo wrote:
The XBox 360 controller like the PS2 controller has 2 Ls and 2 Rs on the back along with being able to click in to the analog stick. But do Xbox 360 controllers work on PSU 4 PC?

Yes, they do. Get the wired one. (It's USB)

Edit: I hear to make it work with PSU, you have to download a special driver or whatever. I don't have the link though... You could probably dig it up on http://www.phantasystaruniverse.com 's message boards somewhere, as that's where I originally saw it.

Sorry for double-post?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Paramedic on 2007-04-22 05:46 ]</font>

tikigod13
Apr 22, 2007, 07:47 AM
no prob, ill check this stuff out too. See if a friend can lend a wired one.

APEXi
Apr 22, 2007, 07:59 AM
get the wired 360 controller, and download the XBCD drivers

Mewnie
Apr 22, 2007, 08:47 AM
yeah, wired 360 controller was a snap. I just plugged it into the PC, installed the drivers it found and was rocking it in minutes :3

Sc0pe
Apr 22, 2007, 08:48 AM
get a USB to PS2 converter.

dragoon-girl
Apr 22, 2007, 09:16 AM
I have a PC controller shaped like a PS2 one, works great http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Well, unless you count that my character randomly moves tiny tiny bit when I'm away sometimes for some strange reason... It's mostly a pain when I leave her sitting down and she is standing when I get back. :/
That didn't used to happen though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dragoon-girl on 2007-04-22 07:17 ]</font>

Amalga
Apr 22, 2007, 02:15 PM
On 2007-04-22 06:48, Sc0pe wrote:
get a USB to PS/2 converter.

Much easier to just get on Microsoft.com and download the driver (http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/gaming/download.mspx). Also, it's free. Just use the menus and select whatever it tells you to.

This option works out great, in my opinion. I ran into some button-mapping problems in the beginning but figured it out almost immediately. Nothing inherent.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Amalga on 2007-04-22 12:16 ]</font>

BahnKnakyu
Apr 22, 2007, 03:46 PM
I don't think you should get the XBox 360 controller. It's WAY too heavy for a controller, and driver setup for the thing is a pain in the butt. The four shoulder buttons require you to depress them far too in, which takes a lot of getting used to. The Logitech Dual Action 2 also has a nasty left analog joystick calibration problem that surfaces after a few weeks to a few months of use.

I'd get a Saitek, only because it doesn't break down on you early on, or get a USB Converter that converts a PS2 controller to a USB one you can use on your computer.

Allison_W
Apr 22, 2007, 04:14 PM
I went to Radio Shack and got a USB to PSX converter. I now play PSU with my PS2 controller.

The nice thing is that PS2 controllers are actually built to stand up to heavy use, unlike a lot of PC gamepads. It's also particularly familiar to me, since the PS2 is the console I play most frequently.

Cz
Apr 22, 2007, 04:22 PM
i play my PC PSU ver. with my xbox 360 controller and i am doing fine with it. I prefered using the 360 controller because using keyboard can be so rough and annoying.

ZeroVer01
Apr 23, 2007, 12:57 AM
I use the Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2.

I really like using it, but of course, their is the issue of batteries. Personally, I bought some Duracell rechargeables and took care of the problem, that way.

They also just have the wired Rumblepad 2, or the Dual Action, both of which are cheaper.

They are great controllers though, in fact, I have the PS2 version of the Cordless Rumblepad 2 controller, also. They have pretty much the same layout as the Sony controllers, but they feel more comfertable, and durable.

omegapirate2k
Apr 23, 2007, 12:59 AM
The 360 controller combined with a keyboard works fantastically.

Makojin
Apr 23, 2007, 12:49 PM
I'm using a PS2 controller with a Dual Shooter USB adapter (bought it for Stepmania =D) It works lovely as long as you have a controller in both ports, if not it'll always register Z-axis control on the unused port and the game won't work right.

If I didn't have that already I'd use an Xbox 360 controller.

Kaydin
Apr 23, 2007, 12:52 PM
On 2007-04-22 22:57, ZeroVer01 wrote:
I use the Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2.

I really like using it, but of course, their is the issue of batteries. Personally, I bought some Duracell rechargeables and took care of the problem, that way.

They also just have the wired Rumblepad 2, or the Dual Action, both of which are cheaper.

They are great controllers though, in fact, I have the PS2 version of the Cordless Rumblepad 2 controller, also. They have pretty much the same layout as the Sony controllers, but they feel more comfertable, and durable.

Same one I use. PSU doesn't have much rumble though. I've noticed it only when you get hit really hard and get sent flying, and oddly... during Hishou Jenrin-zan. o.O;

Candor
Apr 23, 2007, 01:44 PM
I used to use a 360 controller before i got a 64 bit OS and it was great; but i can't find any drivers that work with 64 bit. So that's the only reason for not getting a 360 controller, i'm going to check again now that i was reminded.

Edit: hah sweet i got the XBCD drivers to work with 64 bit ( http://redcl0ud.1.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=1535 ) now there's no reason not to use one http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Candor on 2007-04-23 13:31 ]</font>