PDA

View Full Version : List of problems I have with PSU. (Online Mode)

Weak
Apr 22, 2007, 08:49 PM
I haven't really played the game much since January, and I've only just recently started playing a little, experiencing the updated material and reading up on the expansion details. I'm actually pretty excited about what's coming up in the expansion, but I'll put focus on the here and now.

I found that not much has changed, really. There's some more missions, a significant decrease in hacking, higher level cap, and a few S rank weapons here and there. Though, the community has shrunk to nearly half the size I remember it being, and the player shops are still 90% retarded. Most of my problems with the game aren't enough to keep me from hack-and-slashing through monsters for a couple hours every now and then, but they still piss me off and make things less fun.

Problem #1: Weapon Grinding.

Sonic Team, as far as I know, felt it necessary to take the grinders from PSO, and make it more complicated to increase the base damage of weapons. Back then, you just used it on the weapon and there you go. Now, we've got grinder boards, then the grinder bases, both of which incorporated in the synthing system(I'll get to that later).

The fact that there is still a lack of A and S grinder boards is annoying. These are two things that should be purchased from NPCs, and should have been in the game from the beginning. Someone need to explain to me why there's a reason to hold these from release.

I am glad, however, that the expansion removes the whole "weapon breaks when grinding fails" deal. That would have made grinding anything above A rank a total waste of time and/or end in disappointment. Imagine searching for a rare weapon board(based on a low drop rate percentage), spending millions of meseta to possibly make it(synth percentage), then trying to grind it(grind percentage), which could possibly destroy everything you worked for. Well, anyway, that's fixed now.

Problem #2: Synthing

At first, I appreciated the option to customize my weapon with it's own element and such, but lately it's become nothing but an annoyance. They really need to tweak the damn system. If they're changing anything for the better in the expansion, then you can punch me in the face and forget this part, since I only skimmed through the notes.

So, what the fuck? This sucks. I have to find all sorts of expensive fucking materials(which I buy from a shit economy or find), stuff them in a damn machine, then cross my fingers and hope I didn't waste my time. Not only am I creating a multi-million meseta zodiaride, but I'm spending like 18 hours waiting for the zodiaride to finish synthing. Bullshit.

I want them to either:

1. Give me 100% synth rate on everything and keep the synth timer.

2. Get rid of the synth timer, and keep the "holy fuck what a waste" percentage.

It's not fun. It's not fun at all. It was okay when the game launched. Synth rates were high, materials were affordable, and there was much rejoicing. Now, it's just a bunch of annoying, mind-fucking bullshit.

Problem #3: Rare weapons, coupled with Synthing.

Again, what the fuck is this? There's like 4 rare weapons, and they only cater to a few classes at the moment. On the bright side, the expansion seems to be introducing a load of rare stuff to search for and... wait, fuck. FUCK.

Okay, so we've got to deal with the goddamn synthing system. I mean, it's not hard enough just to find a fucking weapon board. Hell no. We've got to spend assloads of meseta or time to get the materials to create these things. And even then, it could end up just being another multi-million meseta monomate. Then, guess what? The board is used up, and you've gotta search for another one to try again. Cockshit.

Of course, there are crazy people out there that dump weeks into synthing, and they are sometimes selling their work. Well, except...

Problem #4: The economy is awful.

I don't see why there isn't an a system embedded into player shops that regulates the price on items. No, I'm sorry, not spending 30 million meseta for your 10% light kubara product. Kill yourself.

To make a long story short, trying to find anything in the game that can't be bought at NPCs and at a reasonable price, is in fact, impossible. Shop owners can't seem to put any logical value on equipment that isn't total ass. Needs some fixing.

I don't have much else to write about this.

Problem #5: Mission Length/Distribution

As it is now, and since launch, players have migrated from one area to the next, grinding the same mission. It's usually the one that yields the most mission points or meseta, or has some kind of rare drops.

I feel that there should be an overall reward for playing through a planet from start to finish, rewarding a total for all the missions played. It would promote parties to stay together and also spread some variety. Instead of making one mission that's so fucking good that no one wants to do anything else, make series of missions(designed to be played back to back) on the planets that all give nearly the same total reward.

I'm pretty sure that anyone who's played the game has pounded De Ragan's ass about 3587623 times. Good fucking god, spread out the missions.

Problem #6: Megid

This techinic is almost the sole reason for having scape dolls in every S or S2 mission. The consequence for dying is being simplified in the expansion, but until we get that, I've gotta wonder what the fuck they were thinking when they were discussing Megid.

"Well, alright, let's start making a dark element spell."

"Hold on, let me get a pencil and paper."

"Obviously it should be a dark color, maybe a purplish color or something."

"Yeah, yeah. Oh! Let's give it to a few enemies and make them appear a lot in the game."

"Excellent. I think it should be a gigantic ball."

"That works, but we should make it faster than the fucking speed of light."

"Gigantic, and difficult to dodge. Players will have a wonderful time dealing with that, what with the internal combat lag and megid getting thrown all over the place... This technic should hit for a lot of damage, I think."

"Got it. But... I dunno, there's something missing."

"What?"

"Chance to die instantly."

Okay, well, that's it. I'm done bitching. I'll add more later I guess.

No, I'm not quitting PSU. It's a fun game now and then. It's only going to get better with the upcoming expansion. There's still major flaws that piss me off.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Weak on 2007-04-23 15:08 ]</font>

Sayara
Apr 23, 2007, 06:29 AM
Welcome to PSU.

Schubalts
Apr 23, 2007, 02:00 PM
Can I have your stuff?

Tay
Apr 23, 2007, 03:14 PM
I agree with everything you say.

DikkyRay
Apr 23, 2007, 04:28 PM
Ok, i love PSU. Dont get me wrong. I love the game. Best thing since PSO. Even though ALOT of people are like, "OMG PSU SUCKS! IT NOT PSO!" I know for many reasons they are wrong. All the new content, such as an actual story, classes, clothes, new weapons, etc, make this game beyond PSO.
But.... there is one part of PSO that i thouroughly loved, and no it is not Mags.

Detail.

PSO had so much freakin detail. Sure PSU graphics blow PSO's outta the park, but christ. Me and VR Raiden played forest. And the First room had more detail than probably the entire Planet of Parum.
Creeks, a butterfly, grass and tall grass, a few flowers. That shiny floating thing.
I really miss that. We went and ran thru all of forest and every room was detailed.
MOST levels of PSO were detailed (Waterfall R1 AMIRITE?!?!?!)
Me and vr (if you havent figured it out by my other posts and this one, Vr's my best friend) then talked about AoI, and Forest. He was saying that orest is like all the other lvls in PSU, open and lacking in detail.
I swear, if anything that is the one dissapointment for me. I will give Sega that some Lobby details are very nice, like the ice, Oasis, and Waterfall ones. But at the same time, i want to be actually playing, not idling in that detail.

Yea yea, sounds fruity, but detail is an important part of a game. And yes, me and vr were online playing.

omegapirate2k
Apr 23, 2007, 04:49 PM
I do think it would be cool if they brought the same detail into the mission areas as they did the lobbies, that would be great.

The beta (Im looking at you, ronezom missions) seems to demonstrate this though, so don't give your hopes up.

Weak
Apr 23, 2007, 04:53 PM
On 2007-04-23 12:00, Schubalts wrote:
Can I have your stuff?

No. I'm still playing. Go get your own stuff.

I suggest reading topics before typing snarky replies.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Weak on 2007-04-23 15:06 ]</font>

omegapirate2k
Apr 23, 2007, 05:08 PM
Luckily for you the expansion fixes alot of your gripes, maybe even all of them http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

DikkyRay
Apr 23, 2007, 05:23 PM
I am keeping my hopes up.
But ST may fail once again......
But eh, if AoI can fulfill, then wewt

omegapirate2k
Apr 23, 2007, 05:39 PM
You know what ST needs to make more of to make the missions alot cooler, though?

LEVELS

http://www.israellycool.com/abbas%20kramer%20reuters.jpg

And when I say levels, I mean inclines, ramps, that kind of thing, it'd give the missions a bit more depth.

Spacepest
Apr 24, 2007, 04:40 AM
I'm also in agreement with PSU's areas lacking the level of detail that PSO's had, despite the better graphics that PSU has.

Hell, I just remember the details for Gal Da Val island...you would go into the jungle and step in shiny puddles of water, and parrots would fly out of the jungle trees at you. At the beach the fish in the water would dart away from you when you got too close to them, seagulls were in the skies, and there was even a lizard that lived on the beach that would crawl around on the sands and that you could follow around.
And lets not forget the Seabed lab level...omg...glowing fish in the water, floating jelly fish things in the air of certain rooms, the ocean floor as you looked out the windows, and the dolphins and fish that would swim by them.

As for PSU's levels...hmm, I think I saw a couple of poorly rendered insects buzzing around the canyon and neudaiz forest area. I think they were poorly rendered butterflies...or maybe they were birds? I couldn't tell. It makes some of the areas of PSU seem quite lifeless, this lack of detail.

Skuda
Apr 24, 2007, 05:58 AM
Yeah.. PSO felt like a giant, unexplored world. It was full of all these little things that you may not see right away. It felt complete.

PSU... everything is just there. There are no hidden little treats, like the full more hiding in the branches of Jungle area 1. Heck, even these "beautiful" lobbys are lacking. Just look at the snowpeak lobby. It looks like it's freezing out, and you run into this cave to find.. a piddly little fire that looks like it could barely cook a can of hustle berries. Not to mention the cave is pretty sparse itself. PSU is supposed to be a Universe.. yet it barely feels like one complete world.

ST really disappointed me with this empty feel. Nothing feels complete. :/

Parn
Apr 24, 2007, 06:19 AM
When Crimson Beast came out and I saw the entrance to the relics in block 3, I was like "finally!" because it was a piece of unique scenery. Block 3 of that mission so far is the most varied looking spot on the game, and there needs to be more like that.

Weak
Apr 24, 2007, 04:30 PM
Hm, yeah, I think detail is another problem.

I dunno, there's some things about PSU that don't really make it seem like a proper sequel to PSO. The way I see it, a sequel should maintain at least some of the qualities of the first game, then improve upon them, as well as add new things.

PSU definitely improved on the battle system a lot. I like that. They got rid of MAGs, which didn't matter to me. Seems they're reintroducing them as a ranged weapon.

The environments of PSU are less memorable because they're played in short, repeatable missions. PSO had some rather lengthy, ever changing areas that it had it's players exploring. There were missions, but they were optional. Most of the time, you were hacking and slashing from one boss to the next(and/or hanging out with people). I think they should have kept the episodic, linear area progression of the previous PSO games. It just makes me sick, because they could have had 4 long areas on each of the 3 planets and the colony. I liked telepipes.

They gave meseta value, which is a good thing. Of course, they didn't really figure out a way to stabilize the newly concieved game economy, with all the players shops and stuff.

Synthing is a good thing, if you ask me. It's just they executed the idea in a way that is really tedious and time consuming. The time consuming part should be finding the weapon, not spending a whole lot of time getting the materials, then waiting for it to *possibly* synth correctly.

My gripe with rare weapons is self-explanatory.

*sigh* It's just they took away too much from PSO. Again, I didn't want just another update of PSO. PSU added a lot of great ideas. It's that they didn't apply those ideas very well, and then they removed what made PSO great in the first place. It should of been a combination of great PSU ideas, and the classic PSO ideas.