PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me, or do >6* melee weapons look lame?

Tay
Apr 22, 2007, 09:34 PM
It may just be a matter of opinion but, why is it that the more advanced weapons look just...uninspired.

For example:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/tay_ulz/PSUweaponcompareTwinsaber.jpg

The Ryo-Braneras appear long, elegant, stylized, and have a very detailed hilt. Looking at the Heavy Twins, they're just...boring. Very basic blade shape (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/tay_ulz/PSUweaponcompareTwinsaber2.jpg) that honestly looks like it was designed by a 13-year old trying to draw anime swords on his class notes.

You can notice these kind of difference is most of the weapons classes. Unless they're crea-weapons (which honestly suck), I just can't stand the appearance of the A-rank weapons we have. Your thoughts?

Umberger
Apr 22, 2007, 09:36 PM
You have to take into account that there's different styles between the manufacturers. All/most of the Yohmei weapons have that elegant and detailed look to them, whereas GRM weapons are more straight-line and modern.

ShidenTsu14
Apr 22, 2007, 09:36 PM
Yeah for some weapon types i guess. Im not a hunter but i do like the look of the neudaiz longswords.

Zorafim
Apr 22, 2007, 09:39 PM
It's a GRM product. What else would you expect?

I have to disagree with the spears, the A ranks look amazing with them. Besides that, I think that's just what A ranks are supposed to be, basic weapons used by higher ranking users. Once S ranks come out, we'll start seeing more diverse weapons. I myself wish to use the 12* axe, 11* sword, 12* claws, and 10* knuckles at the moment. 12* sabers, serafi daggers, and crea doubles also look great. But none of these are A ranks, so that doesn't matter.

Lamak
Apr 22, 2007, 09:39 PM
Last Survivors look nice in terms of daggers.

RedX
Apr 22, 2007, 09:40 PM
On 2007-04-22 19:36, Umberger wrote:
You have to take into account that there's different styles between the manufacturers. All/most of the Yohmei weapons have that elegant and detailed look to them, whereas GRM weapons are more straight-line and modern.

Exactly, Yohmei weapons are meant to look "better" then GRM. GRM is meant to look more about functionality rather then looking cool.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 22, 2007, 09:41 PM
Personally, I think the A-rank GRM Sabers and Twin Sabers look excellent, but that's just me. What we need is A-rank daggers that don't look so wap. In my opinion, the best looking daggers are the C/B GRM ones (and Halp :).

The only other A-rank I don't really like is the Sword, I wish it were straighter and thicker.

VanHalen
Apr 22, 2007, 09:43 PM
I think the GRM sabers(A-rank) look very good. Now the tenora weapons.......>_>

Gryffin
Apr 22, 2007, 09:43 PM
On 2007-04-22 19:36, Umberger wrote:

Than Sega needs to make all manufacturers have ALL *'s in every weapon. Save 10*+ Make THOSE the WhateverBrand only....

Wishlist: (7*-9*)

Tenora Card's
Tenora Bow's
Yohmei Whip's
Yohmei Sword's
GRM Axe's
Yohmei Grenade's
Yohmei Shotgun's
GRM Spear's
GRM Claw's
Tenora Laser's
Tenora Dagger's
Tenora Saber's

Cats. Caaaats.

Golto
Apr 22, 2007, 09:46 PM
Well I can say the yohmei a rank rifles look fugly. So not all yohmei a ranks look better than the others.

Tay
Apr 22, 2007, 09:47 PM
I'm well aware of the appearances between brands, but that given, I still like the 'regular' GRM sabers :/

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 22, 2007, 09:49 PM
On 2007-04-22 19:46, Golto wrote:
Well I can say the yohmei a rank rifles look fugly. So not all yohmei a ranks look better than the others.

Oh right, I forgot about the AoI ones. Personally, I think all the Yohmei ones suck, and Tenora beats GRM for Sword. The A-rank GRM daggers are only slightly better than the Yohmei ones, though.

Midicronica
Apr 22, 2007, 09:49 PM
Luckily, the Yohmei A twin sabers look absolutely "fabuloooous." I don't feel like digging up the image for them, so scan the AoI picture thread and you'll see them. The Tenora Works claws also looked pretty rugged.

Shiro_Ryuu
Apr 22, 2007, 09:50 PM
I always wanted Twin Sabers that looked more Japanese, mostly because I missed the Musashi, Yamato, Asuka, and Sange Yasha weapons from PSO, which I wanted to see return in PSU.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 22, 2007, 09:52 PM
I really want all the weapons to look less Japanese, especially the Yohmei stuff.

Kaydin
Apr 22, 2007, 09:54 PM
I dislike pretty much all A-ranks. >_>; The new ones in AoI look wicked awesome, but the ones we have now kinda suck.

They need to redo all of them, and make all brands make A-ranks for all weapons.

GRM should be high-tech, futuristic weaponry. Current ones are bland, and the Sword should be a broadsword not a giant Katana.

Yohmei's weaponry should be very oriental. Sabers should look like Katanas, Swords should be large Katanas.

Tenora weapons need to look more like the Tenora Claws in AoI. I love the fur. I swear I will use those just for the look. Tenora A-rank swords are awesome as well. The Axes need to be remodeled to be similar.

Don't even get me started on the S-ranks. Many off them look like they are being made by the complete wrong manufacturer.

Zorafim
Apr 22, 2007, 10:00 PM
Wrong manufacturer? What are you talking about? A giant katana with an eastern name would obviously be made by the company that makes western goods.

Shiro_Ryuu
Apr 22, 2007, 10:17 PM
I agree w/ Kaydin, he wins this thread.

fireant
Apr 23, 2007, 09:26 AM
I love the look of B rank Rods and i hate the look of the A rank ones. i actuly use grinded B rank rods.

Shiro_Ryuu
Apr 23, 2007, 09:36 AM
I don't know, I kind of like the A rank wands. I would love to grind me the 6* yohmei twin sabers, but I'm afraid of breaking them, and haxeta is kind of going away.

majan
Apr 23, 2007, 09:46 AM
the a rank wands are okay,and I wish that yohmei made 7*+ twin sabers.that would be awesome.think of how they would spell heavy twins

"ryo-heavysabra"

idk that would be funny

anyway,A-rank rods and spears are probably my favorite looking weapons in the game.especially mayrods,the black scythe-like look is really slick lookin,especialy with the right character.and the spears just totally look bad ass 7*'s and up,leaps and bounds over most other weapons.

I hear you with the twin sabers though they are rather strange.they look like something otu of a bad 1980's movie.

what they need to bring back is the meteor cudgel.that shoudl realyl be a throwback doublesaber in the expansion.that would kick some ass.

Neith
Apr 23, 2007, 09:58 AM
The Yohmei C/B-Rank Sabers look nicer, but I can't see any problem with the GRM A-Rank versions. GRM are always edgy/modernised, whereas Yohmei go for a more ornate look (which in itself is similar to the Newman culture as a whole).

Personally, I love the A-Rank GRM Sabers, much more than the 1-6* GRM's, which are ugly as sin to me.

Like Shiroryuu, I'd love to see some katana-style swords. The GRM sword is too chunky, and I'd prefer to see metal blade weapons make an appearance (not everything has to be photon D: )

Don't get me started on how ugly the GRM Double Saber is. Damn boat oar. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Shiro_Ryuu
Apr 23, 2007, 09:59 AM
If Yohmei gives names to A rank twin sabers, I would prefer a Japanese name like Musashi, Yamato, or something although I'm sure it'll be more of something like "Ryo-desura", "Ryo-shapura", "Ryo-hebira" or something like that.

EDIT: Actually, Yohmei A rank Twin Daggers and Claws dont' have Ryo, so I don't see a reason why Twin kata..er... Sabers would have Ryo either.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shiroryuu on 2007-04-23 08:02 ]</font>

majan
Apr 23, 2007, 10:07 AM
On 2007-04-23 07:58, UrikoBB3 wrote:
The Yohmei C/B-Rank Sabers look nicer, but I can't see any problem with the GRM A-Rank versions. GRM are always edgy/modernised, whereas Yohmei go for a more ornate look (which in itself is similar to the Newman culture as a whole).

Personally, I love the A-Rank GRM Sabers, much more than the 1-6* GRM's, which are ugly as sin to me.

Like Shiroryuu, I'd love to see some katana-style swords. The GRM sword is too chunky, and I'd prefer to see metal blade weapons make an appearance (not everything has to be photon D: )

Don't get me started on how ugly the GRM Double Saber is. Damn boat oar. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

knew I was forgetting something.
question to sonic team:what gives with the damn paddle toy??!!?I can make a better looking doublesaber out of this here computer,the monitor,and the keyboard.in fact,a class of kindergarteners,with their hands pasted together,after eating lots and lots of beans from the old fat lady in the cafeteria,can make a better looking doublesaber.

on a more refreshing note,crea doubles are mega-sweet.sweeter than sweet death,i think,as funky as that looks,it is somehwat strange,and not very weapon-like.double agito,anyone?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: majan on 2007-04-23 08:16 ]</font>

Rashiid
Apr 23, 2007, 10:13 AM
only knuckles i use are Yohmei.
only rifle i use is Yohmei (cept A of coarse)
only daggers i use is yohmei

Yohmei has the best design in most cases, and more PP.

but, in others, only spears i use are Tenora. only pistols i use are GRM.

im picky....i dont care about power, only looks http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

all GRM melee 6* and below look eww (espacially their daggers, they look http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_no.gif)

Shiro_Ryuu
Apr 23, 2007, 10:14 AM
GRM Double Sabers = q-tips
Well, the Yohmei ones look totally sweet, maybe I might make a Fighgunner if I feel like it.

Rashiid
Apr 23, 2007, 10:20 AM
but, of coarse, Kubara has the ultimate designs....

CyarVictor
Apr 23, 2007, 10:21 AM
GRM Doubles=Extreme Kayaking

I like most of the current A ranks. Remember that AoI is new so new ideas come into play-better looking items than the current set. It's like buying a car out of the present set, then a month later; a company releases a kick ass sports car for the same price. just because AoI is coming out, doesn't mean suddenly this game currently needs to get a one day overhaul for graphical appearance. That's what AoI is for. So if you don't like the looks, then don't use em and wait for AoI then... When I'm a melee fighter, I'd go for elemental and high % over anything else anyday. But with my gunner, I'd like to keep with the best that i can equip.

Kylie
Apr 23, 2007, 11:45 AM
Huh? Most of the weapons six stars and below look like baby toys to me.

omegapirate2k
Apr 23, 2007, 11:52 AM
It would make a tad bit more sense if the GRM a rank longswords looked more like the huge cutter, and yohmei got the current GRM longswords >_>

CyarVictor
Apr 23, 2007, 11:57 AM
The 7-9* greatswords are like an attempt to please those who want the Agito yet Yohemi is the company that would produce such a design. If only GRM made those into a flowen sword-like design since most of their products are more robotic in design instead of the brutish Tenora or Asian styled Neudaiz. But at least they are better than most of the other greatswords. i do like especially the crea greatswords.

Weeaboolits
Apr 23, 2007, 12:05 PM
On 2007-04-23 08:21, CyarVictor wrote:
GRM Doubles=Extreme KayakingXD

Akaimizu
Apr 23, 2007, 12:07 PM
Nothing wrong with Extreme Kayaking. If in PSO, people got excited to beat a monster over the head with a Frying Pan; a Kayak oar should be just as exciting. What if, by chance, a flood happens? You'll be prepared for it.

Kaydin
Apr 23, 2007, 12:38 PM
A Kayak Oar weapon would be cool if it looked like a real Kayak Oar, and was called the Kayak Oar. The Frying Pan was a joke weapon, not a standard weapon. None of this make-it-futuristic-and-call-it-the-Double-Saber crap. >.>;

That's like making a Frying Pan with the pan part made of photons and using that as the basic Saber design. I know I'd be pissed if the GRM sabers looked like frikkin' frying pans.

CyarVictor
Apr 23, 2007, 12:43 PM
Your mission is to raft the current wave of noobs. Oh no's, here comes a blue hedgehog. Let's see if you can paddle your way around Gurhal. Like how the Yohemi rifles look like super soakers too. next we'll have a joke gl called TP Thrower 4.5, hurls rolls of tp in those extreme emergancies while exploring the vast deserts of Moatoob.

Kaydin
Apr 23, 2007, 01:37 PM
If you ask me, each manufacturer needs their own animation for all weapon types.
We sorta have this though. The animation fits the brand that makes the A-rank ones.
GRM makes A-rank Twin Sabers, and the animation fits. However, Yohmei and Tenora ones use the same animation, and it doesn't quite fit.
Yohmei makes A-rank Twin Daggers, and the animation is a fluid dance almost. GRM and Tenora Twin Daggers use the same animation, which is odd to me, because a dance doesn't fit the other brands at all.

GRM weapons should have simple-yet-cool animations, like the current Twin Sabers animations.

Yohmei animations should be very graceful, almost like dancing. Similar to the current Dagger ones. Yohmei should treat Sabers as Katanas.

Tenora animations should be more barbaric. Kicks, punches, and violent thrusts of blades.

This should go for PA's as well, and make it so that Tenora PA's can only be used by Tenora weapons. It would create more of a brand loyalty for us. I, for one, would use more Tenora PA's because it fits my character, which would limit me to Tenora weapons - which also fit my character.

If your more of a samurai type, you would probably use Yohmei PA's instead, which would limit you to Yohmei brand weapons. You wouldn't mind though, since Yohmei weapons would be the oriental ones which you would probably use anyways.

I want a Tenora Saber PA where you thrust a Saber into the enemy, then kick them backwards off of the blade.

And one where you thrust the blade behind you, then spin around twice - ripping the blade out in the first spin, then coming back around for a second attack.

SEGA should hire me. ;D

Rashiid
Apr 23, 2007, 01:39 PM
On 2007-04-23 09:45, Kylie wrote:
Huh? Most of the weapons six stars and below look like baby toys to me.

Comentara = Star Rattle

CyarVictor
Apr 23, 2007, 01:54 PM
1-6* Tenora Wands look like a body part I can't mention here.
1-6* Tenora Spears=shovels
1-6* Neudaiz Knuckles=Extreme Rave Glove with built in glow sticks and E, pacifier sold separately
1-6* Tenora Knuckles=Large chalk stick holders
1-6* Neudaiz Pistols/Twins=nerf Gun Pistols
1-6* Neudaiz Rifles=Super Soaker or Nerf Gun
1-6* Tenora Daggers= 99 cent store saws
7* Creazashi= a messed up boomerang

Haha i think all the 7-9* wands look like that, Rashiid.

Shiro_Ryuu
Apr 23, 2007, 02:03 PM
I think that GRM should have made their broadswords/zanbatous like medieval swords, that would have been better, and leave Twin Sabers to Yohmei(I STILL think that thier A ranks were made by the wrong company, altho they look better than the GRM 1-6*) if Sega wanted make katana lovers happy.

SuperRygar
Apr 23, 2007, 02:36 PM
i cant say i agree much with what i've read. i like ALL weapon designs. we all have our preferences and tastes, so ultimately this isnt a thread for agreeing on stuff http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif before i pick a board to synth i check online to see what color the base weapon is. the 9* dblsbr is a fruity lookin purple, so i went with the 8*, grey. then there's the element, which plays a major role in the overall look of a weapon. my Light 8* 50% http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif dblsaber looks awesome. i never really made the connection to Kayak paddle. and the GRM twin sabers, again 8* cuz its black, with Light element looks awesome. if you have a purple hilt and a green blade, the weapon is gonna look like shit. i went through each weapon type and manufacurer and found the ones i liked best and made them the element of choice. now i plan on getting the other manufacurers weapons and making them alternate elements. i understand where your coming from tho, there could be more/better designs. but really, ill never understand why people complain and speculate and conjure up things that they want to see in a video game. first of all, deal with it!! and second of all, all your discussion won't put these things in the game. if you wanna talk about it, fine..whatever blows your bubble. i just dont get it. too many people are critics. and picky ones at that. this site has become a breeding grounds for complaining about the game. i personally dont think there is one problem with this game. from clothes, to MP rewards, to synth chances (that's a little offtopic) this of course includes the weapons.....what was i talkin about? oh well, to answer you original question: Is it just me, or do >6* melee weapons look lame? the answer is Yes

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 23, 2007, 03:38 PM
On 2007-04-23 08:13, Rashiid wrote:
all GRM melee 6* and below look eww (espacially their daggers, they look http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_no.gif)

WAT.

The GRM daggers are by far the best looking of them all.

Rashiid
Apr 23, 2007, 04:19 PM
On 2007-04-23 13:38, Ffuzzy-Logik wrote:WAT.

The GRM daggers are by far the best looking of them all.

they look all weird to me.

On 2007-04-23 11:54, CyarVictor wrote:
Haha i think all the 7-9* wands look like that, Rashiid.

lol tru, but a Comentara looks like a real toy, since its got the little white handle n all.

PJ
Apr 23, 2007, 04:22 PM
The only wands that look cool are Tenora wands.

Shame they don't make A Rank http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

ShadowDragon28
Apr 23, 2007, 04:39 PM
IMO Some of the general designs look good. I'm not fond of the color of 4* and 5 * weapons, and Yohmei daggers look like ice-skates. I Like the designs of Yohmei great swords and Tenora great swords are pretty cool. IMO *most* of the Kubara versions of weapons are pretty awesome looking.

I really like the design and overall look of these melee weapons the most they are a "10" IMO (especially when an approprite element is given to them:
http://pwv.sakura.ne.jp/image/saver/kureasabera00.jpg
http://pwv.sakura.ne.jp/image/saver/sebarak00.jpg
http://pwv.sakura.ne.jp/image/t_dagger/nokokuzashi00.jpg
http://pwv.sakura.ne.jp/image/t_dagger/aldagak00.jpg
http://pwv.sakura.ne.jp/image/sword/sodadok00.jpg
http://pwv.sakura.ne.jp/image/sword/hanzok00.jpg
and My top most favorite; I have one with 34% Dark +8 grind:
http://pwv.sakura.ne.jp/image/sword/soruudok00.jpg

Jey
Apr 23, 2007, 04:39 PM
Hmm, I have to say that even through the GRM A-rank sabers look nothing like the B/C-rank variety, I think the design is quite cool. Simple and geometric, yes, but complexity doesn't always look nice. Plus, they're the predecessor of the Blackhearts/Grand Cross set, which are just the awesome (the saber Tylor uses offline) They kinda remind me of scimitars.

The GRM daggers are also similar in design. I could never quite get over the kidneys on the A-rank Yohmei daggers, as graceful as they can look, but hot damn the Twin Crea Daggers and Aldaga Cresa look good. Yohmei daggers always screamed "sissy" to me...

Spears, I dunno, the Tenora ones rock. I wish they were more three-dimensional like some of the S-ranks, but no biggie.

Swords... all the B/C-rank ones look extremely silly. The GRM/Yohmei Crea ones are ok (the Soda Crea looks hella stupid), and while the GRM standard A-rank type doesn't look like it should have been GRM brand, it looks really nice and matches the GRM sabers well. My only complaint is that it doesn't look bulky enough to justify the slow speed of swords.

Double sabers are just sorta o.O?;;; I love the Crea Doubles model because it looks big enough to justify the huge sweep the weapon gets, yet is sleek at the same time. Double Agito, too {Yes, please.} http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif I'm a Chrono Cross fan, what can I say.

Guns well, in general I think they chose the right makers. The GRM guns all look pretty good and semi-realistic. I hate A+ rank bows, but that's because they are so fricking flamboyant and not very bow-like, where the C/B rank model wins hard.

Staves, I have to say that I prefer the A-rank scythe model over all other types, which otherwise look extremely top-heavy (like... the Halarod, ew.) Wands all look silly, although the Tesbra piques my interest.

So in general yeah, I'd have to say that I do like most A-rank models, but it's not as if the C/B models are bad either. A lot of the S-ranks look incredibly silly too, but you know, you'd be happy having one I bet!

Shiro_Ryuu
Apr 23, 2007, 10:07 PM
Agito Repca is just made of awesome, too bad they don't have twin saber variations of that though. I also seem to be one of the few people who likes the Yohmei A rank daggers, those look rly awesome. The Tenora swords look pretty badass too, so does the GRM 1-6*, which look the most like medieval broadswords, but that Tenora A rank = <3.
Also, while I am a huge sucker for katanas, I have to admit that the Tyrant Spada looks pretty cool, and Tenora and Yohmei Twin sabers do kind of look the same to me.

DoubleZero
Apr 24, 2007, 09:34 AM
Looking at the model for the Sword icon in the palette, and in various other iterations, it looks like the GRM Crea Sword was supposed to be the GRM default. I wonder: What justified the change to the long paddle? Either way, if the GRM model was the Crea Sword model as it was originally.. I'd be running around with a Swordoc ground as high as I could get it. The Katana-style 7* now look good, but I agree: They don't look heavy enough to warrant a swing that slow. It's only a handle, a guard and like.. A foot of metal up the back end of the blade. The rest is all weightless photons.

I was hoping Tenora A-Rank knuckles looked more like.. well.. Fists. Now we have some sort of blocky, horrendous mass on each hand. I was looking for hope in AoI with the Yohmei A-Ranks, but they look stupid with the crab-claw photon edges. They're KNUCKLES, not Claws. So... I'm sticking with my Light Neaclucs for aesthetic purposes.

Guns? Tenora Handgun all the way. Arb/B'duki Hadoc? Hell yes, giant metal-colored revolver, and they have great PP as well.