PDA

View Full Version : Ok. So. Mt. Ohtoku. (Major Spoilage! For online mode USA)

AzureBlaze
Apr 23, 2007, 04:51 PM
Ok so you've done online story on the USA server up to the current part. Or you shouldn't be reading this! Spoiler Alert!

Ok...Mt. Ohtoku dissappears during the course of the plot. A whole MOUNTAIN. If it were a 'real mountain' as we're led to believe this would be hella hard to pull off.

So here's what we know:
It is a major tourist attraction,
it is a symbol of COG,
it has religious signifigance
water flows UP IT BACKWARD for some reason (hence the 'steam' spiral seen around it) And no one knows why water runs up.

So from what Sega's said so far, this is a real mountain made of dirt and rocks and trees with some opposite water ability. Fine.

But now we hear
"And they turned the photon generators back on and made the mountain re-appear"

Wait. What?
So this is obviously a fake mountain. What is it a mountain OF? Photons? Levitating dirt? Flying water put up by generators? Since it's a 'powered object' water running up it is instantly no big deal, rendering their previous statement about 'mystery water goes up hill!' bogus. If you can have one stupid power-out and effectively "Turn off the mountain", it is obviously a fake, man-made/construct of some kind.

So they want us to think that a power-out has never happened down at "Mt. Ohtoku Control" at any point in the past? EVEN during the 500 year war where people bombed the heck out of Neudaiz? And why would everyone panic if someone turned off the mountain for half an hour? If you KNOW the stupid thing is basically "Plugged into the wall" it is quite conceivable, safe, and ordinary for something to happen to the power supply. Obviously plugging it back in restores it to normal. No biggie.

So of course Rutsu accuses Ethan of tripping over the power cord.

I can't be the only one baffled by this, anybody got any takes?

The only thing I can come up with is:
1. COG is lieing to everyone making them think it is a real mt. of dirt and rocks, to get people to worship it for its backward water. Pulling the plug revealed their precious mountain to be nothing but an illusion/man-made construct that's just a showy presentation.
***of course, exposing the phony mountain upsets them

Kicker:
No Guardian is surprised that the Mt. is fake and needs generators to appear! IF COG was lieing about it, everyone would be shocked that Ohtoku is bogus.

omegapirate2k
Apr 23, 2007, 04:55 PM
One of the beta lobbies actually looks to be on top of mount ohtoku...

Weeaboolits
Apr 23, 2007, 05:03 PM
Obviously the work of a not my problem field...

pineapple
Apr 23, 2007, 05:05 PM
I thought offline story mode said it was made entirely of water and that's it. I'm not sure why its disappearance didn't cause a flood though.

Traize
Apr 23, 2007, 05:06 PM
Not my problem field = Very good answer http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Though I didn't hear anything about Generators... I just assumed everything was silly...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Traize on 2007-04-23 15:09 ]</font>

Serephim
Apr 23, 2007, 05:07 PM
aliens did it.

Garroway
Apr 23, 2007, 05:08 PM
I'm filing this one under continuity problems.

Allison_W
Apr 23, 2007, 05:13 PM
I don't have too much to say about its significance; what intrigued me was the girls that were found inside the COG. It seems rather plain to me that these girls are being used as living batteries to power Ohtoku Mountain.

This kind of gives me the impression that the COG... and particularly that prick Rutsu... are Bad People.

This may explain why we appear to actually be fighting the COG in that one free mission at the Pavilion of Air in the expansion. As long as it involves pounding Rutsu flat, I'll be happy.

PrinceBrightstar
Apr 23, 2007, 05:18 PM
In the AOI expansion, you can actually walk around on top of there so that doesn't work...

Mayu
Apr 23, 2007, 05:33 PM
On 2007-04-23 15:07, Serephim wrote:
aliens did it.

RadiantLegend
Apr 23, 2007, 05:35 PM
Cast did it

A2K
Apr 23, 2007, 06:11 PM
The "mountain" is composed entirely of water. Everyone already knows this, which is why it was no surprise.

There are obviously a few actual solid structures--a bit of a "framework" if you will. I imagine they disappeared when the mountain did because it works sort of like a giant water balloon--as it fills up the structure "fills out."

My thoughts? What it represents to the COG and its followers is that it's a physical manifest of the sheer power of photons and photon technology.

It's probably been operating without interruption for the past 100 years of peace, although during the actual war I imagine such interruptions were more common. 100 years is quite a streak to break... which is where the "freak outs" come in.

It's possible that Ethan may have actually done it on purpose in order to get Laia and company inside the COG Headquarters to show them what was happening inside, although he might have just been a convenient scapegoat as well.

On 2007-04-23 15:05, pineapple wrote:
I thought offline story mode said it was made entirely of water and that's it. I'm not sure why its disappearance didn't cause a flood though.

Water is constantly circulating within it, it seems. I imagine when the generators were shut off water simply drained out like it, but didn't get replaced by new water as it normally would.

On 2007-04-23 15:13, Allison_W wrote:
I don't have too much to say about its significance; what intrigued me was the girls that were found inside the COG. It seems rather plain to me that these girls are being used as living batteries to power Ohtoku Mountain.

The Sisters of the Holy Light don't have anything to do with "powering" Mt. Ohtoku. At least, I don't see how you could come to that connection, anyway. They're definitely being used for something, though...

Ravennittes
Apr 23, 2007, 06:15 PM
It was the... the... the RELIC GUN!!! Anyways, we'll get to know what happens when we get there ^.^ .

Weeaboolits
Apr 23, 2007, 06:23 PM
On 2007-04-23 15:03, Ronin_Cooper wrote:
Obviously the work of a not my problem field...I stand by my earlier statement.
Props if you caught the reference, btw.

CelestialBlade
Apr 23, 2007, 07:24 PM
I blame rock music and video games for its disappearance, myself. Dern younguns.

Helly
Apr 23, 2007, 11:57 PM
On 2007-04-23 16:11, A2K wrote:
It's possible that Ethan may have actually done it on purpose in order to get Laia and company inside the COG Headquarters to show them what was happening inside, although he might have just been a convenient scapegoat as well.

I think it pretty much had to be Ethans plan. What do the Illuminus gain from freaking some people out for an hour or so? Seems pointless. They'd freak more people out dropping Seed on 'em (I wish towns/lobbies could be invaded!).

The more interesting part of this is that there's an alternate, if only slightly, background for Ohtoku city.

AzureBlaze
Apr 24, 2007, 12:50 AM
What is the quote that says all of Ohtoku is water?

I'm really curious about this now. I have this pasted quote off Sega's website

"Neudaiz's capital city. In the center of the city is the majestic Ohtoku Mountain, home to the headquarters of the Communion of Gurhal and a popular tourist spot. Ohtoku City is home to corporate and university research facilities as well as educational organizations, and is well-known as an academic city."

Which says COG HQ is at this mountain. This must be the mysterious 'structures' referred to in the previous posts, because you can't really tour a mountain of sheer water, nor build a building in it. It does make sense that it's a type of giant solid fountain, that would surely explain why water goes up it.

I totally agree with Ohtoku as being part of COG's symbol of power. It makes total sense.
I also agree with Rutsu scapegoating on Ethan--likely because he knows Ethan & Karen are 'in something together' what with all the kidnapping/persuasion/visits to temple by Ethan offline. Rutsu has also seen the heat actually going OFF Ethan and would want to combat it with some new charges--to keep the maiden under his thumb.

The girls are also curious, maybe he's trying to prep one of those lattices to protect neudaiz in an illuminus attack--after all, newmen are on their hit list. Or is it more sinister?

Trey_Winters
Apr 24, 2007, 01:06 AM
I blame David Copperfield...

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1/Andrew_Waltfeld/Trey%20Winters/dcmountain.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Trey_Winters on 2007-04-28 23:17 ]</font>

Sinue_v2
Apr 24, 2007, 01:09 AM
Goddamnit, Trey beat me to it.

A2K
Apr 24, 2007, 05:59 AM
On 2007-04-23 22:50, AzureBlaze wrote:
What is the quote that says all of Ohtoku is water?

I'm really curious about this now. I have this pasted quote off Sega's website

"Neudaiz's capital city. In the center of the city is the majestic Ohtoku Mountain, home to the headquarters of the Communion of Gurhal and a popular tourist spot. Ohtoku City is home to corporate and university research facilities as well as educational organizations, and is well-known as an academic city."

Which says COG HQ is at this mountain. This must be the mysterious 'structures' referred to in the previous posts, because you can't really tour a mountain of sheer water, nor build a building in it. It does make sense that it's a type of giant solid fountain, that would surely explain why water goes up it.

I totally agree with Ohtoku as being part of COG's symbol of power. It makes total sense.
I also agree with Rutsu scapegoating on Ethan--likely because he knows Ethan & Karen are 'in something together' what with all the kidnapping/persuasion/visits to temple by Ethan offline. Rutsu has also seen the heat actually going OFF Ethan and would want to combat it with some new charges--to keep the maiden under his thumb.

The girls are also curious, maybe he's trying to prep one of those lattices to protect neudaiz in an illuminus attack--after all, newmen are on their hit list. Or is it more sinister?

Well, honestly, just have a look at it sometime. It seems like it's all water to me. It might be the daylight, but... in the first trailer at E3 2004 it was night and the mountain was practically transparent. The little darker spots as well as the summit have visible structures (which can apparently be visited in Ambition of Illuminus).

As for the girls, I imagine it's a case where the saying, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions," applies, but, perhaps something more sinister is at work.

Eleina
Apr 24, 2007, 07:13 AM
Didn't it dissapear cause i drunk to much beer?!? @.@

Zimbolt
Apr 24, 2007, 09:46 AM
aliens did it.

aliens did it.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u232/zimboltor/EthanPre-Beta.png

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zimbolt on 2007-04-24 07:48 ]</font>

imfanboy
Apr 24, 2007, 09:58 AM
On 2007-04-23 16:23, Ronin_Cooper wrote:

Actually, it's a "Someone Else's Problem" field. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif But at least you've READ Adams...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: imfanboy on 2007-04-24 07:59 ]</font>

Traize
Apr 24, 2007, 10:38 AM
Pedantic! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Oooh, maybe Starship Titanic could crash into the Guardians Colony... I don't know why...

CyarVictor
Apr 24, 2007, 11:06 AM
Maybe some guy just tripped on the extension cord to the Mt Ohtoku and didn't realize it? He'd be like "Oh shits." and just kick the cord so no one would know he did it.

Traize
Apr 24, 2007, 11:11 AM
Better yet, maybe Rutsu with his Adahna Degahna just blew the fuses;

"I NEED MORE POWA!"

DurakkenX
Apr 24, 2007, 11:40 AM
On 2007-04-23 22:50, AzureBlaze wrote:

First off nowhere does it state that it's made of water. It is stated that water flows up it rather than down it.

second...you can build structure in mountains. Most of our high security places in the US are built inside mountains.

As far as it's disappearance...well, it seems that they go back and forth with whether the mountain is real or not. This could be due to translational errors or simply CoG not being consistent.

If base how most religions go there is probably a very easy explanation which isn't known by the public , but most could prolly figure it out.

It could be a photonic mountain utilizing the photons in the atmosphere and the structures act as a infrastructure to maintain the photonic usage. So while the mountain may not be "real", since photon energy can be solidified it is viable excuse that you can walk on the mountain and it can disappear... simple enough no?

Traize
Apr 24, 2007, 11:44 AM
What if its just a REALLY big cardboard prop & no-ones ever been close enough to actually check it out, & rather than any foul play, it just got a bit windy & knocked the whole thing over? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

CrimsomWolf
Apr 24, 2007, 02:24 PM
As of theory of Ethan causing Mt. Ohtoku disappearance (is that right?) it isn't far off. If I recall correctly someone on forum once mentioned that Ethan tries to help Karen escape from COG. If you will lead the population of Neudaiz to believe that Mt. Ohtoku is gone this will cause great panic and confusion among COG ranks... which is perfect deception for Ethan to get into Pavilon of Air and get Karen out...
Besides Ethan does not really like COG, especially Rutsu (whom forbidden him to see Karen) so he wouldn't have any issues in causing problems to COG.

Anyway why do I have feeling that someone is going to break into Pavilon of Air and will do the same thing which Darth Vader did to these guys from Mustafar- which is good ol' kill'em all!

Weeaboolits
Apr 24, 2007, 02:43 PM
On 2007-04-24 07:58, imfanboy wrote:

On 2007-04-23 16:23, Ronin_Cooper wrote:

Actually, it's a "Someone Else's Problem" field. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif But at least you've READ Adams...^_^' I was gonna' double check it, but I couldn't remember what chapter it was in, and I couldn't find my copy.

pineapple
Apr 24, 2007, 03:26 PM
On 2007-04-23 16:11, A2K wrote:

On 2007-04-23 15:05, pineapple wrote:

Water is constantly circulating within it, it seems. I imagine when the generators were shut off water simply drained out like it, but didn't get replaced by new water as it normally would.

Yeah, but the water would have to drain out to somewhere. It seems like this would cause the ocean levels to rise rapidly or tidal waves to form if a mountain of water was suddenly dumped in.

I guess not everyone got the idea that it is made completely of water. Anyone want to replay story mode and find the exact explanation?

CrimsomWolf
Apr 24, 2007, 04:04 PM
Perhaps the mountain is a hologram.
You know, like the one from Star Trek, that looks like real think, but it's just a projection.
And if I recall in one Star Trek they said that their holograms are "made" of solidified photons...
Interesting isn't it???

CelestialBlade
Apr 24, 2007, 04:18 PM
Perhaps Physics really isn't at work here.

ZodiacNKnight
Apr 24, 2007, 05:37 PM
I just figured that the mountain has some symbolic relation to that of Mt. Fuji in a way...
After all, the concept of Neudaiz resembles that of a futuristic version of Japan during the Romantic Era.

This makes sense since Hanami seems more appropriate for Neudaiz with the nature feel and Cherry Blossoms.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/36/Mountfujijapan.jpg/800px-Mountfujijapan.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ZodiacNKnight on 2007-04-24 15:52 ]</font>

CelestialBlade
Apr 24, 2007, 06:02 PM
http://www.layer-infinity.net/seraphzero/what/mtohtaku.jpg

Baku
Apr 24, 2007, 07:22 PM
I blame david copperfield...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Baku on 2007-04-24 17:23 ]</font>

Thrash777
Apr 24, 2007, 08:37 PM
Y'kno, it isn't just the USA that this applies... it's the US/EU servers...
I know I'm being picky... but hey... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Angelo
Apr 25, 2007, 06:37 AM
On 2007-04-24 07:46, Zimbolt wrote:

aliens did it.

aliens did it.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u232/zimboltor/EthanPre-Beta.png

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zimbolt on 2007-04-24 07:48 ]</font>

OMGZ ITS FLOWEN!!!!!!!!1111111