PDA

View Full Version : PSU-PC: Server reduction? Time frame?

Hitohira
Apr 25, 2007, 11:44 AM
Hey everyone, new to the forums here. Just have one question in regards to the declining PC population, I was wondering if anyone could supply me with information on whether or not SEGA of America was planning on reducing servers for the PC/PS2. As it is, lately we can barely hit 4 stars and I believe that reducing the number of useless servers in the game will help to increase the population on the remaining servers. It would be nice to see about 8-10 dropped so I could see some justification in going to other servers. I know that people like to go to other servers to escape "stupid people", but the thing is, that is what black listing is for. I also believe that by doing so, it would be much easier to find a party. This of course does not apply to the people who like to solo, but they can just lock their games. Well anyway, just wondering if this is a future possibilty. I would appreciate the input. Also please fill out the poll! ^-^ Thanks!

Ajax
Apr 25, 2007, 05:24 PM
That great idea. Reduce PC/PS2 servers. So Xbox360 players have better frame rate.
Once you go to Xbox live you never go back.

Kimil
Apr 25, 2007, 05:52 PM
On 2007-04-25 15:24, Ajax wrote:

Once you go to Xbox live you never go back.

Um no, I'm dropping my Gamertag as soon as it expires this november.

Golto
Apr 25, 2007, 05:57 PM
Maybe if they made a World2 for us.

Blacklist doesn't have enough space for all the retards at Raffon Lakeshore.

Kaydin
Apr 25, 2007, 09:32 PM
Um.....

What would be the point of doing that?

Retehi
Apr 25, 2007, 09:42 PM
Just leave universe 13 alone.

VanHalen
Apr 25, 2007, 10:43 PM
I really like universe 12. Dunno why but the fact I can go there is pretty nice and reassuring.

Golto
Apr 25, 2007, 11:52 PM
Make it like JPN pc/ps2, two worlds so you can have 8 characters instead of 4.

Neggy
Apr 26, 2007, 12:08 AM
On 2007-04-25 19:32, Kaydin wrote:
Um.....

What would be the point of doing that?

Say you have 1,000 people on Uni 2, and 300 people on unis 1, and 3-18. Shrink it down to four Unis, or thereabouts, and those 300 people get smacked into one of four possible Unis, making those other Unis more populated, and ideally giving us more servers to realistically play on. Sure, we could all just stick to Uni 2 as is, but where's the fun in that?

Think positive, kids.

Ryu3s
Apr 26, 2007, 06:47 AM
Sega really needs to just release a Demo for the PC version. That's why the 360 version is so populated. There's a free Demo sitting there amongst some other lack luster things, so of course people are going to try it out.

If people get a chance to try it out for free, they're more likely to give it a chance. There's too much of a risk associated with buying a 50 dollar game and not knowing if you're going to like it or not. It also doesn't help that magazine ads for PC/PS2 have stopped and Sega has yet to really make a public announcement about the duped meseta being fixed (the big thing that 360 users like to beat their chests about).

I'm hoping that when AoI is released they'll put a demo for PSU on the playstation network for PS3. That would help boost the population as it has for the 360.

Aralia
Apr 26, 2007, 07:19 AM
I saw 3/4 of raffon field base games locked today during peak time on universe 2...
People already lock their games to escape "stupid people"

And, as I remember it, PSO had 4 ships on the us servers, 3 (or 5) on the euro, and 15 on the japanese... And each of them never had more than 2 lobbies of a single block full on a single ship per division.
(example for those whi never saw it: US: Vega 1: lobbies 1&2)
Each of those 4 ships had, iirc, 18 blocks... 14 lobbies per block.

Though, back in those days, 1 lobby was all we needed..

My point of this, they aren't gonna reduce the servers.. no use wishing.

Selket
Apr 26, 2007, 09:18 AM
Okay .. reducing servers to increase population... Thats just.. welll..

Lets do some simple kindergarden reasoning here.

If i have 5 oranges in a crate that holds 30, it looks pretty empty right? Now i move those oranges into a box that holds only 6. There are still 5 oranges in the box, and nothing has changed however it looks pretty full dosent it? Then we want to add 3 oranges .. OOPS! no room and we sold off our crate! Now we have to wait 3-4 months to get that crate back, this whole time people who want to give us more oranges cant, because we are full. We missed out.

Translation (because some people are dense and will argue about oranges and miss the point):

Shrinking servers does not generate more players, advertisement and upgrades do. If you shrink the servers, sure it looks like more people play, but the population has not changed. When new people want to play and the servers are full, they will go to other games and eventualy not care about this one. It is nothing more than an dangerous illusion that I am sure, sega, who are business men, understand how silly this is (tho some would argue if they are good ones.)

If people are hoping that this will force players to play with other players then you are sorely mistaken. People will play with who they want to play... forcing someone to do so just ends up in people getting fed up with bad party dynamics (heres lookin at you FFXI) and having to rely heavily on other people. Not a direction, I think that Sega wants to go in just yet.

However for the sake of not sounding like a complete downer. Sega went in the right step with the expansion, they are listening to the players. The more the players are happy the more they will tell thier friends and the more people will flock in. As for now, we will have to suck it up, or do some advertising of our own. I see this as a "work in progress" kind of game, and sega has even admited to such in more candid interviews, reffering to the game as a long-term project, "unlike PSO" which was a "accidental hit" thats lasted several years. As long as they keep improving then I am okay with that.

Now you cant please everyone, and trying to do so will destroy everything they have built so far; however i like to think of this game as a work in progress.. Most MMOs and MMORPGs start small, then take time to grow, PSO was this way, FFXI was this way.. the Only exception to the rule was WoW really and thats because the Blizzard cult did the right thing for hyping up thier game, i have to admit this and I HATE WoW.

Anyway i got long winded, and most people stopped reading halfway down this due to short attention spans, so im gonna end here and check the box saying:

"Nah, I don't think that's a good idea"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Selket on 2007-04-26 07:20 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Selket on 2007-04-26 07:23 ]</font>

Neggy
Apr 26, 2007, 10:51 AM
You missed the point, Selket. You move your oranges to the box with a cap of six, and it's now 83% full. Say you have 6 other oranges spread across 17 other boxes, and you get rid of 14 of those boxes, distribute the oranges evenly, you now have one box that's 83% full, and three others that are 66% full. Instead of being condescending, and using your "kindergarten" analogy, let's get real, and use people instead of oranges. People see less servers with more stars, they're going to be more likely to go a Uni other than two. It's very simple. This doesn't increase the population, it will, ideally, give us more Unis to get casual parties on, than Uni 2.

It's simple.