PDA

View Full Version : Why do you lot call techs spells when they are not?

ShinMaruku
Apr 25, 2007, 04:18 PM
They are Psychic powers of the mind. More akin to the White Pheonix of the crown than Doctor Strange.
Yet ya call it magic ,spells and all that pish very odd.

Zorafim
Apr 25, 2007, 04:20 PM
Because every other game that has the option to burn things often calls the ability to burn things a spell. Same reason people call Madoogs "mags."

Sychosis
Apr 25, 2007, 04:20 PM
I try my hardest to call them TECHNICs at all times, but many years of other RPGs has made the generic term "spell" a bad habit to get over. :/

Itsuki
Apr 25, 2007, 04:23 PM
Its a video game. Every video game has their own terminology and intricacies. But when it all comes down to it, you have physical attacks and you have magic attacks. People are just going to use whatever terminology they are most accustomed to. Its like how down in the south, every soft drink is coke. It could be pepsi, mountain dew, whatever. Its still all "coke".

But i mean, plenty of other terminology is applied to PSU that isn't from the PSU universe. Do you start have to start hating on those too? I think people should be able to call it whatever they want, its all the same in the end if the other person knows what you're talking about. And theres nothing else in PSU that magic would be referring to. Its not like they're confusing you by saying it.

RadiantLegend
Apr 25, 2007, 04:24 PM
I call it magic

Rashiid
i usually say 'jont' as a fast way of saying 'joint'

"daammnnnn mah foie jont just hit 1506!!"

Packrat
I call them techs http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif. Also I call madoogs "mads" and shadoogs "shads" but that's just me.. <_<;

Zorafim
Apr 25, 2007, 04:25 PM
Come to think about it, I tend to call them "techs," simply because there was a difference between techs and spells in PSIV. But to force that on others is just silly.

Jife_Jifremok
Apr 25, 2007, 04:30 PM
While it's more healthy for a game world's atmosphere that its own terminology to be used, I find myself saying 'spells' more than techs. As it stands, I just use them interchangably. The techs do behave like magic spells anyway.

By the way, Sega fucks up their own ingame terminology as well. Shield Lines are called "Armor" all the damn time. It's not armor, its energy shielding! Armor sounds so...primitive. (and cool-looking XD)

ShinMaruku
Apr 25, 2007, 04:31 PM
On 2007-04-25 14:20, Zorafim wrote:
Because every other game that has the option to burn things often calls the ability to burn things a spell. Same reason people call Madoogs "mags."

Giving into common human ignornce is silly.
Hell even the Japanese name about impuse force you know tis haint magic.

Espeically when Phantasty Star as a seris had a diffrence between the two as well should make it obvious.

Maybe since I'm from the genration of those who played the ealrier ones but still hain't magic.

And if this get's FKL'd somthing bizzare is going on this like the other one is a legitamte question. Alas less people know of PS just PSO which is a shame to the franchise

ThEoRy
Apr 25, 2007, 04:34 PM
I actually had a bit of trouble at first calling them technics. I had been using the term techniques for soooooooo long, it was a bit odd adjusting. Now though technics seems more natural. Although at times i'll still slip and say techniques.. toe-may-toe ta-mah-toe I guess.

Kaydin
Apr 25, 2007, 04:35 PM
On 2007-04-25 14:34, Octagon wrote:
I actually had a bit of trouble at first calling them technics. I had been using the term techniques for soooooooo long, it was a bit odd adjusting. Now though technics seems more natural. Although at times i'll still slip and say techniques.. toe-may-toe ta-mah-toe I guess.
Actually, if you play story mode, they pronouce TECHNICs as "Techniques".

A2K
Apr 25, 2007, 04:36 PM
On 2007-04-25 14:34, Octagon wrote:

Coincidentally, even though it's spelled out as "TECHNICs" it's still pronounced like "technique" is.

Rashiid
Apr 25, 2007, 04:37 PM
haha, Proton Arts...i remember saying that once.....

Zorafim
Apr 25, 2007, 04:38 PM
The only difference between magic and techs is that techs were made so that magic would be cooler.
Techs in this game is the same as magic in any other game. There's no practical reason call it a new thing every time you switch games when they all do the same thing.

Garroway
Apr 25, 2007, 04:38 PM
On 2007-04-25 14:18, ShinMaruku wrote:
They are Psychic powers of the mind. More akin to the White Pheonix of the crown than Doctor Strange.
Yet ya call it magic ,spells and all that pish very odd.

Better yet, why did you type "ya" instead of "you" in a topic criticizing language (idiot?)?

ShinMaruku
Apr 25, 2007, 04:41 PM
Magic, psychic ki are two complelty diffrent things so I don't know where I am criticizing language. >_>

Zorafim
Apr 25, 2007, 04:43 PM
Magic makes things happen because you want them to.
Psychic ki makes things happen because you will them to.

Yeah, completely different.

ShinMaruku
Apr 25, 2007, 04:48 PM
Blame Thanos and Odin for making me have such an distinction.
That siad one is by life forece and one is by an mysterious force.
Would folks call the Force magic?

Zorafim
Apr 25, 2007, 04:58 PM
Your point is that, story wise, they have a different name.
My point is that nobody cares.
People call hunters "melees," people call forces "mages." The only difference between argumentative terms is that one is established by fans, and the other is established by the game for role playing.

And frankly, I'd consider the force magic, because it isn't a melee attack.

Sinue_v2
Apr 25, 2007, 05:00 PM
Because it doesn't matter anymore. They killed Magic in PSO. Without the clear distinction between Magic and Techniques - then the blanketing term "Spells" becomes easier to use.

The difference being originally that Magic drew from the Ether of the universe and shaped by the mind of the caster. You have to have an innate talent to use magic. Techniques drew upon spiritual energy and body positioning. Unlike magic, they are learnable by nearly everyone. It's like the difference between Merlin and Ryu. Both can throw fireballs - but Ryu is never considered a magician.

ShinMaruku
Apr 25, 2007, 05:05 PM
I love the technicalites of these terms and the fact that I frown upon blanket terms becuase they dilute the meaning of words like all this 'loli' crap

ThEoRy
Apr 25, 2007, 05:05 PM
On 2007-04-25 14:58, Zorafim wrote:

And frankly, I'd consider the force magic, because it isn't a melee attack.

NO!! Blasphemy! It's because of the midichlorians you fool!! I thought everyone knew that jeez!

Garroway
Apr 25, 2007, 05:06 PM
On 2007-04-25 14:41, ShinMaruku wrote:
Magic, psychic ki are two complelty diffrent things so I don't know where I am criticizing language. >_>

You typed "Why do you lot call techs spells when they are not?" insinuating that someone's usage of the word "magic" is incorrect. How is that not criticism of language?

Besides; while it is true that correct word usage is a factor in effective communication it is not the only factor. When a person uses the word "magic" over "technique" in the context of this game I would argue that the meaning that said person is attempting to communicate is not lost, making communication successful and this topic utterly irrelevant. Furthermore, by insinuating that your usage of "ya" was incorrect I had hoped to parallel the irrelevance of this topic (ie, usage of "ya" in no way hindered successful communication of your point) assuming of course that you were smart enough to extrapolate the meaning of the parallel. It appears saddly, that I have indeed overestimated the general populace again.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 25, 2007, 05:08 PM
On 2007-04-25 14:25, Zorafim wrote:
Come to think about it, I tend to call them "techs," simply because there was a difference between techs and spells in PSIV. But to force that on others is just silly.

Exactly.

And yeah, techs.

MayLee
Apr 25, 2007, 05:11 PM
I think it's good that games have a different term for spells.

I usually say TECHS or if I say Techeques Too fast it sounds like "Technicks" So sue me. >=(

ShinMaruku
Apr 25, 2007, 05:16 PM
On 2007-04-25 15:06, Garroway wrote:

On 2007-04-25 14:41, ShinMaruku wrote:

You typed "Why do you lot call techs spells when they are not?" insinuating that someone's usage of the word "magic" is incorrect. How is that not criticism of language?

Besides; while it is true that correct word usage is a factor in effective communication it is not the only factor. When a person uses the word "magic" over "technique" in the context of this game I would argue that the meaning that said person is attempting to communicate is not lost, making communication successful and this topic utterly irrelevant. Furthermore, by insinuating that your usage of "ya" was incorrect I had hoped to parallel the irrelevance of this topic (ie, usage of "ya" in no way hindered successful communication of your point) assuming of course that you were smart enough to extrapolate the meaning of the parallel. It appears saddly, that I have indeed overestimated the general populace again.

So trying to find out why folks call it that and seeing other forms of thought is irrelivant?
Trying to see how others operate helps you a lot.
And overesimtating the gneral populcae would be daft becuase most people are fools. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

ShadowDragon28
Apr 25, 2007, 05:19 PM
Here's what I think the difference is....

Magic: The bending of the fabric of "reality" fueled by "Mana" to produce an effect or an affect.

Technics: Using a combination of advanced technologies that result in various Telekenetic techniques (fueled by both Ki and photonic energy) that produce a particular effect or an affect.

The resulting effect or affect are very similar. It's just that Magic Spells tend to radically *BEND* the "natural" laws & forces of "Reality";
while Technics tend to *work with* natural forces more and doesn't try to bend the fabric of reality in harsh manner.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShadowDragon28 on 2007-04-25 15:24 ]</font>

ThEoRy
Apr 25, 2007, 05:24 PM
heres a good one.. one time in game, there was some random hunter type complaining, asking why were we calling the techs by their actual names. Saying things like "whats rafoi?" "what's Gibarta?" "those names don't make any sense" then he asked me what type of effect the spells had. after I explained he tried to say it would be much easier if we would all just say "the Ice spell with an area of effect". Uhh yeah guy, thats much easier than saying Rabarta.

Garroway
Apr 25, 2007, 05:36 PM
On 2007-04-25 15:16, ShinMaruku wrote
So trying to find out why folks call it that and seeing other forms of thought is irrelivant?
Trying to see how others operate helps you a lot.
And overesimtating the gneral populcae would be daft becuase most people are fools. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

One last time for your benefit...

You already understand how and why others operate. You in fact, answered your own question (Why do you lot call techs spells when they are not?) with your very first post. You used "ya" instead of "you" which could be viewed by people as wrong. You want to know why people use "magic" instead of "techniques". It is the same thing as when you chose to use "ya" instead of "you". To you "magic" is incorrect. To me "ya" is incorrect. You did the exact same thing in your first post that the entire topic is questioning. That is why it is irrelevant. I dont think I can be any more blatant than that.

I honestly believed that my first post would have resulted in one of those DUH... (insert slap to the forehead here) moments for you.

ShinMaruku
Apr 25, 2007, 05:49 PM
I can't really make gneralized statement about people when I can see people extrapolate on thier views.
More to generate discussion than just rather simple question and answer.
Seems like folks would much rather hear rambling than questions...

Thrash777
Apr 25, 2007, 05:56 PM
It's the WoW'ers and FFXI'ers influence that started "spells"...
They are TECHs!

Tahldon
Apr 25, 2007, 06:06 PM
On 2007-04-25 14:23, Itsuki-chan wrote:
Its a video game. Every video game has their own terminology and intricacies. But when it all comes down to it, you have physical attacks and you have magic attacks. People are just going to use whatever terminology they are most accustomed to. Its like how down in the south, every soft drink is coke. It could be pepsi, mountain dew, whatever. Its still all "coke".

I can't quite agree. Everyone I know call them "Dranks". Alcohol is a "drink". "Soda" What the hell is THAT?? He heh.

Either way, I call it what I'm used to calling it. If it's magic, I call it that. Forces are Mages. Volfus are dogs. Gilmoro are "Claw guys" along with the Deljanus or whatever. The Pennons and Polties are called "Jellies". Ollaka are "buffalo" or "Cows". De Regan is "Dragon" just like it looks lol.

Also, dispite the fact that there are Forte classes, they are still refered to (by my buddies and me at least) as Hunters, Rangers, and Mages. That's just the way it goes lol.

majan
Apr 25, 2007, 08:09 PM
because TECHNIC(dont ask me why sega puts it in all caps,probably just as stupid a reason for calling straight up magic spells 'technics' in the first place) is quite a stupid name for a MAGIC SPELL.fireballs?mountains of ice?channeling dark forces?conjuring rocks and throwing them through the air?magic,folks.at least in PSO they were calling techniques,which at least is a fuckin word!TECHNIC in all caps.sounds significant,and sounds like a very lame way to modernize magic.cool attempt to make the sci-fi rpg,I love the game,sega,but in response to the OP, we call TECHNICS magic spells because that is what they are,sir.

Rashiid
Apr 25, 2007, 08:37 PM
Pardon me....why is this still going?

its called 'Phantasy' Star.....

and the term Fantasy (Ph or F) means anything can happen, since when did even creativity hafta make sense.....

DurakkenX
Apr 25, 2007, 08:53 PM
same reason we call skills PAs >.>

There is a distinct difference between

Spirit
Photon
Ki
Force
Psychic

HOWEVER all for of them can be considered a spell as spells are not specific to source of power. A light is still a light regardless of whether it is powered by gas or coal. Technics are the same as spells and the same as jutsus... they all mean the same just in a different language.

Helly
Apr 25, 2007, 08:57 PM
Why does everyone call "boosts" "buffs?" Go back to whatever game calls them buffs. We certainly didn't call S/D "buffs" in PSO and I refuse to here.

Shifta: "A fire-based TECHNIC. Supports allies by boosting attack power for a set period of time."

So there. ~_~

Midicronica
Apr 25, 2007, 09:02 PM
You can't say @#$%& without it getting censored. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Jakosifer
Apr 26, 2007, 01:45 AM
I don't see why the hell it matters XD

Aralia
Apr 26, 2007, 07:03 AM
What's the big deal if we call it spell/magic or tech, generally they have the same effect, just different methods of creating the effect.. but WE never see the effect, so it's pointless to care. =/

(hell, I call em spells, techs, and thingers... I've been known to call meseta "mesos, gil, bucks, cash, and yellow thingies.)

Between all the games I've played, it's a miracle I can recognize what term comes from what game.

amtalx
Apr 26, 2007, 07:08 AM
Because its the common terminology used for supernatural powers in RPGs, that's why.

ShinMaruku
Apr 26, 2007, 07:11 AM
On 2007-04-25 23:45, Jakomay_07 wrote:
I don't see why the hell it matters XD

Well with all the repys it seems to matter. :E

Mewnie
Apr 26, 2007, 10:10 AM
most of the replies seem to involve the words "who" and "cares?"

Zarbolord
Apr 26, 2007, 10:13 AM
On 2007-04-25 14:20, Sychosis wrote:
I try my hardest to call them TECHNICs at all times, but many years of other RPGs has made the generic term "spell" a bad habit to get over. :/

For me its the opposite, I've played pso/psu so much I call the other RPG spells TECHS >.<

Neith
Apr 26, 2007, 10:47 AM
Always called them Techs since PSO, magic just never came to mind I guess.

chibiLegolas
Apr 26, 2007, 11:51 AM
It's the same reason why many of us call DE REGAN "dragon". We all know what it REALLY is. All the flavor text in the world won't change what it really is. They all do the same thing. So it doesn't matter what we call it as long as we understand what you meant in the end.

Hell, I call FO's mages/clerics sometimes too.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chibiLegolas on 2007-04-26 09:54 ]</font>

Libram
Apr 26, 2007, 12:15 PM
A good number of people have already said it. People will use whatever term they feel comfortable with, and for most of them out there it's magic/spell.

As for calling the stat boosters "buffs", it's all about convenience.

"boosts"
"buffs"

"Buffs" is friendlier to our small chat window on PSU and is easier to type.

SuperRygar
Apr 26, 2007, 01:22 PM
this thread must die. nothing further will come out of it. its just everybodys interpretation of "it doesnt matter what we call them" if you must ask WHY? then its simple....why do people use LOL, or BRB? why do people drive to the corner store when they could walk? ....because its convenient. i have tried the PS games, for like 20 minutes. i dont know the terms from that game. alot of people didnt grow up with it, and i certainly wouldnt pick it up in this day and age. PSO came outta nowhere and introduced us to the series. i dont feel at a loss because i dont know the history of it all. to me PSU has no story and i like it that way. so i will continue to use the terms i am familar with. and besides...this is all make believe. its science fiction. your treating it on the same level as gravity and G-force. your like a crazed Scientologist fascist telling us how to speak your language

DikkyRay
Apr 26, 2007, 04:16 PM
OMFG IT IS NOT PP IT IS MANA WTF NUBS!
more importantly on the subject of why we pronounce things...why do you care?

ShinMaruku
Apr 26, 2007, 05:20 PM
On 2007-04-26 08:10, Mewnie wrote:
most of the replies seem to involve the words "who" and "cares?"

Well they do to reply as such.

ShadowDragon28
Apr 26, 2007, 05:49 PM
Did anyone even bother to read my post?
I really dont give a f*ck what anyone calls the Technics in PSU.

There *is* a difference between Technics and spells though.
My Hypothisis (based on the overall Genres/Contents most of Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and the general cosmology of the entire Phantasy Star mythos) :

"Spells" (i.e. Magic) is the supernatural bending of "Reality" and it's natural elements and forces to create different effects, and affects without the use any modern technological devices.

"Technics", however, are more advanced technology based, and more akin to Psionics/Telekenesis.
It doesn't harshly warp or bend the laws/forces of nature.

In PSU Technics with the use of Tech disks and reliant on technology-based Wands and Rods seem to me to rely on things like:
Technic programm/Rote dowloaded into the brain (possibly due to Neural Implant(s) ),
Nano Transformer technologies, Artificial Telekenesis technologies , and a
Photon Power cell(micro-reactor).

Magic/Spells don't require all that overt advanced hardware.

ShinMaruku
Apr 26, 2007, 08:15 PM
You post is kinda my view on ther whole thing.
That and if people are referring top this as laziness then I must laugh

Akira_R
Apr 26, 2007, 08:41 PM
On 2007-04-26 15:49, ShadowDragon28 wrote:
Did anyone even bother to read my post?
I really dont give a f*ck what anyone calls the Technics in PSU.

There *is* a difference between Technics and spells though.
My Hypothisis (based on the overall Genres/Contents most of Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and the general cosmology of the entire Phantasy Star mythos) :

"Spells" (i.e. Magic) is the supernatural bending of "Reality" and it's natural elements and forces to create different effects, and affects without the use any modern technological devices.

"Technics", however, are more advanced technology based, and more akin to Psionics/Telekenesis.
It doesn't harshly warp or bend the laws/forces of nature.

In PSU Technics with the use of Tech disks and reliant on technology-based Wands and Rods seem to me to rely on things like:
Technic programm/Rote dowloaded into the brain (possibly due to Neural Implant(s) ),
Nano Transformer technologies, Artificial Telekenesis technologies , and a
Photon Power cell(micro-reactor).

Magic/Spells don't require all that overt advanced hardware.

Nobody is going to disagree with this analysis, because hey, it's pretty accurate. But the underlying issue, and hence the reason nobody responded to your complex post, is because nobody cares what the differences are. It's a game, not real life, and the differences aren't really tangible enough for people to watch what they call certain things.

You said it best yourself: "I really dont give a f*ck what anyone calls the Technics in PSU."

And neither do the rest of us.

Amalga
Apr 26, 2007, 10:15 PM
I call it a "Spell" because no matter how you define it in the game, it uses the exact same concept. It's a non-ballistic, non-melee attack that you "cast."

Thrash777
Apr 26, 2007, 10:19 PM
It's just as bad as people calling "skills" PAs!
People class them as; PAs, Bullets, and Spells... only one of them is correct!
Skills, Bullets, and TECHs!

ZeroVer01
Apr 26, 2007, 10:34 PM
Hmm... I didn't check the all of the post in this thread, to see if this has been mentioned, but if you look in the instruction manual, it refers to Technics as Magic.

ChaotistRazor
Apr 27, 2007, 07:16 AM
"Technic Attack (Magic)

This type allows you to use "Technics", with different variations, effects, etc. They can be very powerful, if you can manage them effectively. You will consume PP for each attack."

-Page 9, PSU PS2 Instruction Manual

(Looks like ST doesn't give much of a shit, either.)

Eleina
Apr 27, 2007, 07:22 AM
I don't call them i use these technics magic or whatever and inflict pain....

Selket
Apr 27, 2007, 08:39 AM
Why not call it Psionics then? Besides the "spells" are so magic staple its not funny.
The fireball is a fireball, not pryokenesis. The Diga is a flying rock, not Geokenesis. I could go on, however until the "magic" starts acting like "psionics" then im going to continue calling it "sparkly little magic elf powers." 'nuff said.

Besides

When I think of "Technic" i think of "technique" which is martial arts related.