PDA

View Full Version : PSU Expansion Retardedness

ChronoTrigga
Apr 27, 2007, 12:17 AM
Hi, I'm a lurker around here. But doesn't it seem a little bit unfair, that the 360 users don't have to go to the store to pick up the expansion when it releases? Is it going to cost anything, or do we just pick it up? Why can't we just be able to download it on the PC version? That upsets me.

Sekani
Apr 27, 2007, 12:21 AM
It's because we're better than you.

Sychosis
Apr 27, 2007, 12:23 AM
On 2007-04-26 22:21, Sekani wrote:

Being able to download it is going to help a ton. No more scratched discs, no more wearing down the disc drive...best news I've heard about the expansion yet.

Cz
Apr 27, 2007, 12:25 AM
doesnt matter to me...there is a game store next to my college, when the game comes out, i will just have to drop by and buy it. ^__-

Paramedic
Apr 27, 2007, 12:26 AM
Downloading? Blahh, that would suck. You don't get a disc, a box, or a manual when you do that, do you?

Kimil
Apr 27, 2007, 12:42 AM
the 360 ppl DO have to pay for the download just like how we have to pay for the expansion: They aren't going to get it for free. And if going down to a store is an issue for you... get out more.

Infact, we on the PS2/PC servers are getting a 10% discount for the online fee of PSU AoI, on top of not paying for the optional XBL Gold. So whats the big deal about having to run down to the store?

Will everyone STOP bitching about things that aren't that big of a deal?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kimil on 2007-04-26 22:43 ]</font>

Sychosis
Apr 27, 2007, 12:43 AM
On 2007-04-26 22:26, Paramedic wrote:
Downloading? Blahh, that would suck. You don't get a disc, a box, or a manual when you do that, do you?

Why do any of those matter?

FUFME
Apr 27, 2007, 12:48 AM
if they cant download it, I can see the game being faster - loading and processing wise as compared to a disc.

I hope it's the same for the PS3, as I plan on getting one during the summer

Paramedic
Apr 27, 2007, 12:48 AM
On 2007-04-26 22:43, Sychosis wrote:

When I buy games, I don't think I'm buying just the game. The manual, and packaging are included. Because without the packaging, I'd have no where to put the damn thing. And, I like reading the manuals to things, they usually have cool screenshots and info in them. (For games of course)

Edit: I like putting the boxes to whatever game + expansions I'm currently playing ontop of my computer desk. They're like... Trophies? I don't know, I'm weird.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Paramedic on 2007-04-26 22:49 ]</font>

Sychosis
Apr 27, 2007, 12:52 AM
On 2007-04-26 22:48, Paramedic wrote:

When I buy games, I don't think I'm buying just the game. The manual, and packaging are included. Because without the packaging, I'd have no where to put the damn thing. And, I like reading the manuals to things, they usually have cool screenshots and info in them. (For games of course)

Edit: I like putting the boxes to whatever game + expansions I'm currently playing ontop of my computer desk. They're like... Trophies? I don't know, I'm weird.

Meh, without a disc, you don't need a case. Manuals? Nah, I know how to play the game.

Sychosis
Apr 27, 2007, 12:54 AM
On 2007-04-26 22:54, Paramedic wrote:
Meh, whatever works for you.

I hope the manual isn't extremely lackluster like the PSU one is... It's like, a whole 20 pages of explaining the UI. *Yawn*

PSO's was the same way, ST is uninspiring. In fact, from v1 to v2 the manual became black and white http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sychosis on 2007-04-26 22:56 ]</font>

Paramedic
Apr 27, 2007, 12:54 AM

I hope the manual isn't extremely lackluster like the PSU one is... It's like, a whole 20 pages of explaining the UI. *Yawn*

Paramedic
Apr 27, 2007, 12:56 AM
On 2007-04-26 22:54, Sychosis wrote:

On 2007-04-26 22:54, Paramedic wrote:

PSO's was the same way, ST is uninspiring.

Kinda. I remember how thick the PSO Ep1&2 for GC manual was. It was huge, but just explained everything I already knew.

Retehi
Apr 27, 2007, 12:58 AM
Oh no, you'll have to walk outside of your house into broad daylight, and down to the game store to pick up a game! What a horrible concept. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

APEXi
Apr 27, 2007, 01:17 AM
you probably will be able to download it for pc, keep an eye out for a torrent or something. not like psu uses a serial number - or needs the disc in the drive anyway

Paramedic
Apr 27, 2007, 01:22 AM
Of course there will be torrents for the PC version. But you don't have to pay for the torrents as you do downloading.

A2K
Apr 27, 2007, 01:30 AM

There's a certain... comfort in owning something that's physical. There's this mindset with content downloads where one feels as if they don't really "own" anything on their hard disk, what with it being "stuck" there. With a real disc, there's a sense of freedom of being able to take it around, play it on any given system, etc. attached to it.

AnnabellaRenee87
Apr 27, 2007, 01:37 AM

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Paramedic on 2007-04-26 22:49 ]</font>

Thought I was the only one http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

AnnabellaRenee87
Apr 27, 2007, 01:41 AM
Now I'm Sure they will Release a Disk for the 360 because having a hard drive IS NOT required to play the game, now do you think they will be able to get the expansion on the little 64mb card?(hell the 512mb for that matter) No! they will not. If they did do that then they would cut almost all of the Core 360 users off... and force people to buy the $100-$180 drives.

They would HAVE TO release a disk for those people, or have the power of god's wrath smack down upon them. (Bill Gates) http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

THERAPIST
Apr 27, 2007, 01:52 AM
On 2007-04-26 23:30, A2K wrote:

There's a certain... comfort in owning something that's physical. There's this mindset with content downloads where one feels as if they don't really "own" anything on their hard disk, what with it being "stuck" there. With a real disc, there's a sense of freedom of being able to take it around, play it on any given system, etc. attached to it.

If the game publisher didn't need to supply a disc, manual or box with their games it would presumably reduce the cost of the final product - I don't know about you, but having more bux in my pocket at the end of the day is more "comfortable" than having a "real disc" to hold on to.

IMO if it's on my hard disk, I own it. I can delete it, copy it, redistribute it, back it up etc etc. And if it's on one of my portable hard disks, I have real freedom to take it around & play it on another system.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: THERAPIST on 2007-04-26 23:53 ]</font>

Mistle22
Apr 27, 2007, 01:53 AM
Wow, the expansion must use up a hella lot of hard drive space. That will suck http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

AC9breaker
Apr 27, 2007, 03:29 AM

Good thing you didn't go the path of PC. Our packaging was total shit. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

You get better packaging for a Tiger hand held game. Then what we got for USPC-PSU.

Ether
Apr 27, 2007, 03:49 AM
I keep my US PSU disc in the Japanese case, its just so much nicer than the cheapo box US got

Paramedic
Apr 27, 2007, 04:08 AM
Yeah. I was angry with my PC copy, the box is crap and to be honest... The box was so light I thought they didn't even put the game in there!

Not to mention the jerkoff at the counter gave me a damaged box...

PsyX
Apr 27, 2007, 04:32 AM
*rolls eyes*

Oh noez. I will have to leave teh houze :/

I don't really care and/or mind...Going into town is fun.

Seriously. 360 players are obviously going to have to pay for it. Now if they were offering the expansion for free for 360 players that would be unfair.

However it's not.

And bus fare into town isn't too immense, so I'm sure most people will live.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PsyX on 2007-04-27 02:34 ]</font>

SStrikerR
Apr 27, 2007, 06:16 AM

im weird like that too, i think its just cool. i put the games next to my ps2, and the manuals right next to em, i like that stuff too. LAWL

amtalx
Apr 27, 2007, 08:43 AM
I have a rather massive game collection and I like to add to it, but for ST games I just don't really care. I don't know how I will ever live without the wealth of information that they cram into the massive manuals. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif For PSO/PSU manuals, I actually felt DUMBER after reading them.

Miyoko
Apr 27, 2007, 08:48 AM
On 2007-04-26 22:23, Sychosis wrote:

On 2007-04-26 22:21, Sekani wrote:

Being able to download it is going to help a ton. No more scratched discs, no more wearing down the disc drive...best news I've heard about the expansion yet.

You really don't need to worry about scratched disks or 'worn disk drives' when you don't need the CD in your drive to play the game anyways... ;p

Sychosis
Apr 27, 2007, 09:10 AM

Well, last I checked, I own my HDD. The popularity of MP3 players today over CD players I think is proof enough that this "comfort" is a dying mindset.

There's a bit more comfort for me in being able to nudge my 360 without turning it into a lathe with a disc in it. Besides, the data is no less "stuck" on a disc than it is on a HDD.

Quite frankly I hope this is the path MS takes with the next Xbox, having it based completely around Xbox Live and offering entire game downloads over the marketplace. Would do wonders for performance and kill off that ridiculous "format war" fanboys keep rambling about.

Sekani
Apr 27, 2007, 09:13 AM
On 2007-04-27 07:10, Sychosis wrote:

Quite frankly I hope this is the path MS takes with the next Xbox, having it based completely around Xbox Live and offering entire game downloads over the marketplace. Would do wonders for performance and kill off that ridiculous "format war" fanboys keep rambling about.

Don't hold your breath on that one. The format war is crucial to the survival of a certain competing console.

Akaimizu
Apr 27, 2007, 09:23 AM
Needless to say, there's not a real big deal about the Expansion method of distribution. It's a little surprising that they don't just do the same with the PC version, if the expansion is only enhancing online. The electronic distribution is simply a way to save a good amount of money and time trying to get it onto a storeshelf. (See SNK USA for a good example of a company typically having trouble getting something onto a storeshelf no matter what platform).

Still, if the expansion does add more offline stuff, it probably would've been better distributed on disk across the platforms. The PC had the only setup where you kind of had to connect online to play the offline portion.

Dumah
Apr 27, 2007, 09:47 AM
electronic distribution is one of the biggest cons right now. with a download there is no cd/dvd, no packageing, no storage, shiping or manufacturing costs ect. and the price to download is exactly the same as buying the game in a store(maybe even more expensive in some cases). so it is true that money is saved but none of the saving are passed on to the customer

A2K
Apr 27, 2007, 10:25 AM
On 2007-04-27 07:10, Sychosis wrote:
Well, last I checked, I own my HDD. The popularity of MP3 players today over CD players I think is proof enough that this "comfort" is a dying mindset.

There's a bit more comfort for me in being able to nudge my 360 without turning it into a lathe with a disc in it. Besides, the data is no less "stuck" on a disc than it is on a HDD.

They may be still "stuck" on a disc, but you have much more freedom with said disc than you do lugging around an HD. Xbox Live Marketplace content isn't just tied to your gamertag, it's also tied to the console itself through some means (there are some hoops you need to jump through to confirm your identity, if you intend to make a transfer).

MP3 players have a few more things going on for them, as well, though: they're actually made to be portable; they don't skip like portable CD players, and hold about a gajillion bajillion (estimated figure) more songs on them otherwise.

The key thing is that you're can actually take the thing anywhere you go, and be able to listen to these songs virtually any way you want. There's just an added convenience factor that you can't really apply to Marketplace content. Once you purchase and download an item, you have very little freedom as to what to do with said content, partly because of Microsoft's lockdown of the service (which has its positives as well, in terms of security). It's part of the reason why most of my friends like the idea of movie "rentals", but not so much purchasing more than a few episodes of TV shows "to own" over the Video Marketplace. If one of them wanted a whole season of a television show, why not buy the DVDs instead, which can be played on any DVD player imaginable as opposed to only an Xbox 360?

Not that I personally give a damn either way. I just know where people are coming from when they make these sorts of remarks.

prismsub5
Apr 27, 2007, 10:43 AM
On 2007-04-26 23:41, Neoistheone wrote:
Now I'm Sure they will Release a Disk for the 360 because having a hard drive IS NOT required to play the game, now do you think they will be able to get the expansion on the little 64mb card?(hell the 512mb for that matter) No! they will not. If they did do that then they would cut almost all of the Core 360 users off... and force people to buy the $100-$180 drives.

They would HAVE TO release a disk for those people, or have the power of god's wrath smack down upon them. [s](Bill Gates) http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

They won't, many games have expansions released > 64mb (PDZ, Kameo, GRAW, Oblivion) and those don't require a HDD.

On 2007-04-27 08:25, A2K wrote:
They may be still "stuck" on a disc, but you have much more freedom with said disc than you do lugging around an HD. Xbox Live Marketplace content isn't just tied to your gamertag, it's also tied to the console itself through some means (there are some hoops you need to jump through to confirm your identity, if you intend to make a transfer).
Which means that you actually get 2 licenses instead of one. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

On 2007-04-26 23:52, THERAPIST wrote:
IMO if it's on my hard disk, [s]I own it . I can delete it, copy it, redistribute it, back it up etc etc. And if it's on one of my portable hard disks, I have real freedom to take it around & play it on another system.