PDA

View Full Version : Ethan Waber...AOI's secondary charecter?

ShinAnt
Apr 27, 2007, 10:17 AM
So with the annoucement of AOI officailly coming here,evidently we are finally getting all the things we are waiting for in our favorite online game,but the story aspect of the game.

It is stating that Ethan is not the main charecter, that we the players and are avatars are the main charecters.

Now to me thats pretty freaking sweet,but haow is that story going to work out?

Any thoughts Guardians?

Akaimizu
Apr 27, 2007, 10:22 AM
Pretty easily. There have been quite a few examples of this done before. Particularly in the King of Fighters franchise (if you follow the stories). The transistion from lead character to secondary character was smooth, mostly because the other one is still running around doing something important. It started with Kyo as lead, then when the NESTs saga came around, K' became the new lead character as Kyo became the charismatic escape artist. After K' did his thing, Ash became the new leader while the other two still worked in their ambitions, or crossed paths (not always in a good way) with him.

In a way, the online story continuation missions have already started a similar scenario. While it is slowly making that transition (it still starts with Ethan very much in the limelight) they're opening up things for a parallel story arc.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-04-27 08:24 ]</font>

Thrash777
Apr 27, 2007, 10:25 AM
The online story missions show exactly how its gonna work, since that's your character playing the story...

ShinAnt
Apr 27, 2007, 10:27 AM
hahaha good example I like that!
I guess I should eloberate.
You know the story missions we alredy have, I'm asking are be something similar to that or something completely different. (and are we going to be completely mute? I mean It seems that us Guardians don't have much to say!)

Akaimizu
Apr 27, 2007, 10:32 AM
Yeah. I made a comment about that in another recent topic. I'd love for them to take the *western* RPG approach and actually give you dialogue choices. Tynselle is NOT a character to stand idly by. As I said before, the urge to ask the tall Laia for a piggy back ride would be too hard to pass up.

But more realistically, my main character is a performer, an outspoken one. She would have comments about stuff said, things encountered, and action performed. She would not be a mute and completely obedient woman. They should give you the right to at least mention a rebuttal, agree, or whatever. Guaranteed, your character isn't going to see eye-to-eye on every last thing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-04-27 08:32 ]</font>

Spacepest
Apr 27, 2007, 10:36 AM
Yeah, I'd love for there to be some dialogue choices too.

For some reason I don't see Nougami or Roar standing by mutely when all of this stuff is going on. And Nougami doesn't like Laia, that in itself would lead to some interesting conversations. XD

Angelo
Apr 27, 2007, 10:38 AM
Dialogue choices, I wish.

Angelo to Laia: "Just heal me, don't die, and shut up!"

Akaimizu
Apr 27, 2007, 10:42 AM
On 2007-04-27 08:36, Spacepest wrote:
Yeah, I'd love for there to be some dialogue choices too.

For some reason I don't see Nougami or Roar standing by mutely when all of this stuff is going on. And Nougami doesn't like Laia, that in itself would lead to some interesting conversations. XD

Tynselle has some attitude. Anybody with any degree of attitude is going to have at least some *clashes* with Laia. For very much a similar reason, I think the dialogues would've been interesting. Tynselle, on the other hand, tries more to understand other Guardians, so she'd probably take on a more supportive role. Some of her support could be stuff Laia doesn't want to deal with, but something Tynselle feels would be good for her.

(For those Red Dwarf fans. A mild version of why Arnold Rimmer's personality was selected to companion with Lister. 'cept in this case. Throw a no-nonsense, low tolerance character, with a character trying to get them to *lighten up*.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-04-27 08:43 ]</font>

ShinAnt
Apr 27, 2007, 10:43 AM
Well at least we'll have thos facial expressions.
And hey it could be like Star Wars Knights of the old Repbulic?

Akaimizu
Apr 27, 2007, 10:45 AM
KOTOR would be too good. I really doubt they would go that far. I've yet to see a single Japanese company try to have as much dynamic character interation in their games. I have more doubts that Sonic Team would do it.

ShinAnt
Apr 27, 2007, 10:58 AM
Heh just an example. But this would be the type of that would have something like that but who knows. We should at least get the voices thouh. Grunting aint doing it for me!

Cz
Apr 27, 2007, 11:13 AM
if your character is a main character, then all of the other story line characters can talk while your character will only nod in response. >.> If AoI doesnt change that, then what is the point of having a quiet role main character...that is just boring..>.>;

DraginHikari
Apr 27, 2007, 11:30 AM
Probably simpilicity on ST's part.

Akaimizu
Apr 27, 2007, 11:32 AM
On 2007-04-27 09:13, BunnyGirl wrote:
if your character is a main character, then all of the other story line characters can talk while your character will only nod in response. >.> If AoI doesnt change that, then what is the point of having a quiet role main character...that is just boring..>.>;

Hey. It worked for Cloud in FF7. Heh....heh....heh.....

Ok. I kid, I kid. Needless to say, I think we're all thinking on the same wavelength.

ShinAnt
Apr 27, 2007, 11:42 AM
Christ I live with just gestures and emotion reactions!

SStrikerR
Apr 27, 2007, 12:00 PM
thad be nice, i hated pso in that you were the main char, but at best st put in some dots above ur head, but u never talked.

Jife_Jifremok
Apr 27, 2007, 01:55 PM
Yeah, what good is making *you* the main character if you can't interact like in a Western RPG? If there's gonna be *me* playing a key role but having my lips sealed, I'd rather take the spectator-under-orders role (as seen in PSU's online story mode and Magic Pengel), or have a bare-assed minimum of contact with so-called people.

malice_nyc
Apr 27, 2007, 02:28 PM
On 2007-04-27 08:42, Akaimizu wrote:

(For those Red Dwarf fans. A mild version of why Arnold Rimmer's personality was selected to companion with Lister. 'cept in this case. Throw a no-nonsense, low tolerance character, with a character trying to get them to *lighten up*.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-04-27 08:43 ]</font>

I agree with all this, I hate watching my character stand by idly and be ignored during story missions. Plus, I'm a new recruit? In training? I'm a level 80 if you hadn't noticed, Mina.

Mostly though I wanted to be in the same thread as Red Dwarf references http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Kaydin
Apr 27, 2007, 03:04 PM
What I wanna know is why, in the intro movie, Ethan is back in his Braves Custom suit, rather than the coat he wears in the online story missions?

Saphion
Apr 27, 2007, 03:10 PM
Smeggin' 'ell!

ShinAnt
Apr 27, 2007, 03:19 PM
In the new intro? Yeah he looks more badass than he should be...

Sasamichan
Apr 27, 2007, 03:42 PM
On 2007-04-27 09:13, BunnyGirl wrote:

It worked in Dragon Quest 8.

Sylpheed
Apr 27, 2007, 03:43 PM
Finally this points out to me that i get kick Waber's puny lil ASS YES!....i will kill him

Serephim
Apr 27, 2007, 03:53 PM
i think Ethan as a final boss for the Online Mode/ Story Mode would be FUCKING awesome.

As long as they dont change him into a "LAWLGOOD/EVIL FALZ" form and just let you get your ass kicked by his awesome skills, it would be so fun.

Id love fighting a Human for a boss. Multiple Target whoring wouldnt work, and he would be able to jump across the stage, do crazy sword tricks, and cast Technics at you with his Pimped out Evil Madoog.

MAN that would be cool. We need a Human Sized boss with more than 2 attacks lolol.

EDIT:

@Akaimizu:

I really hate how everyone has whored FF7 into what it is now. Unlike in Advent Children, Cloud W A S N O T E M O.

cloud talked more than almost EVERYONE IN THE ENTIRE GAME. He cracked jokes, his choice commands were hillarious, and he actully was a leader until he went all "im comotose lawl" n stuff.

Do you think the game was popular becuase cloud's 10 Polygon model was cool?

Hell no, Cloud himself was cool.

As for Sonic Team and PSU,

H E L L N O.

Sonic Team sucks so bad at Storylines, they need to just keep it Simplistic. If anyone (and by Anyone i mean NO MEGA SONIC FANBOYS, they think everything "sonic" is "awesome") has played a recent Sonic Game (excluding Sonic the Hedgehog for 360/ps3. That game was so bad, lets just say it diddnt exist), you'll know that sonic team SUCKS at making complex storylines.

Yet, maybe the Phantasy Star developer is better than the Sonic developer. Hopefully they pull this episode off correctly.

Calamity
Apr 27, 2007, 03:53 PM
i wanna know if your gonna be able to play the story with the char you allready created or have to create another especially for that story

PsyX
Apr 27, 2007, 04:06 PM
Guild Wars was kinda like that.

Your avatar would narrate the story, and be the "main character" through the GW story missions.

They even had voice actors.

I wonder if our characters will have their own voices...

Shiro_Ryuu
Apr 27, 2007, 04:15 PM
Well, Shiro Ryuu is very quiet, but he'll definitely be superior to the NPCs in terms of fighting skill. No way Laia's gonna beat him up cuz she can't. As for Maya, <3

Weeaboolits
Apr 27, 2007, 04:29 PM
Having my character beats them shoving words in my mouth, imo.
I don't mind it when they let dialogue be implied, such as Pokemon and The Legend of Zelda, in fact I'd prefer it.

Parn
Apr 27, 2007, 04:37 PM
On 2007-04-27 13:53, Serephim wrote:
Yet, maybe the Phantasy Star developer is better than the Sonic developer.
Just as Square has different teams handling different games, Sonic Team is the same way. Takao Miyoshi is director for the Phantasy Star lineup of games from Sonic Team, while Takashi Iizuka is director for most of the recent Sonic games.

Zantra
Apr 27, 2007, 04:37 PM
Why is Ethan evil? Is it because, I touch myself at night?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zantra on 2007-04-27 15:15 ]</font>

SStrikerR
Apr 27, 2007, 04:40 PM
Id love fighting a Human for a boss. Multiple Target whoring wouldnt work, and he would be able to jump across the stage, do crazy sword tricks, and cast Technics at you with his Pimped out Evil Madoog.

not sure how to just quote one part, so copy/paste works for me, and yea, that would make me want to buy gmes from them moe, cause they do what not many others did, and they made it good, but i think this would be cool. like first, you fight ethans new army lol, with your whole team, no scapes or moons allowed, or healing other than forces for that matter, thad be cool , u need skillz to do it! and then whoever survives fights ethan's main posse while laiya fights ethan, you fight his crew, and whoeer dies, once again, out, then whoever has the most hp % left, fights ethan alone, to show that they can kick ethan's azz. nd theres a rule, you have to do the highest rank of the mission as your level lets you, meaning, lets say C, u need to be lv 10, B u need to be 25, and your 26, your not allowed to do C. gimme feedback, even though we all know ST doesnt think that much, and my idea wouldnt happen. you know, they should check out these sites, and maybe gets ideaz, that would make the game so much betta, but they dont as far as we know, cause of cours they dont care.

Serephim
Apr 27, 2007, 05:57 PM
nah, just a simple fight between ethan would be great.

He could use some crazy evil photon arts that would cause for wicked strafe and manuvering to dodge the attacks. (kind of like the Olga Flow blade on Ep2 elevator fight.)

ShinAnt
Apr 28, 2007, 04:08 AM
well you can fight ethan in the current story missions.