PDA

View Full Version : Man, this game is complex on many levels

SolomonGrundy
Apr 27, 2007, 02:41 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Just in the past 2 topics I've been posting in over in gameplay/guides it dawned on me just how complex this game it.

Forget about speculation regarding Feng Shui, or whether female cast luck affects synthing, there are a WHOLE LOT of things out there that is not commonly known/understood.

For example: Using jellen on certain monsters reduces thier 'tech' attacks. Some mini bosses are immune to some status effects. Bosses have a few non obvious locations that are not 1/2 damage.

this games a little Deeper than "hakz wif mi begg swerdz!" Any tibits you tink few people know about that you want to share?

DikkyRay
Apr 27, 2007, 02:46 PM
But i like to Hakz wif mah begg swerd http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif
I find it strange that Swords are limited to only 3 targets, it doesnt seem right for it
Then again im coming from my recently played PSO experiance where i hit about 4 boomas and 2 goboomas.

Dhylec
Apr 27, 2007, 02:48 PM
As more people play & research on the game mechanisms, more info & tactics will come out. Expect more in the future, specially once AoI came out. ;]

Miyoko
Apr 27, 2007, 02:48 PM
Yes. Yes it is. Upon realizing this, the game becomes more fun. 'cause yous start doing things you normally wouldn't, and end up going "Woah, I can do that?"

Spinning break is useful on flying enemies. Nifty for fortefighters who want to ground tenghogs.

Akaimizu
Apr 27, 2007, 02:58 PM
Heh. Similar early surprises came for Forces. In fact, I wonder how many PSO force afficionados got real surprised looks on their faces when they realized how many targets a Ra- technique was limited to.

Especially after coming from 400, 800, 1000+ hours of a good RaFoie hitting a whole room of mobs in PSO.

But outside of that, that's the beauty of PSU. It's a game that's easy to get into but takes a good amount of work to master. The thing that really gets it for me is that it combines a lot of the RPG *findings* like you mentioned, but with new strategies that are particular to an action game that has precise Area of Effects.

Precise AOEs, in a game, already holds quite a few strategies alone (thus why they typically (in a turned based JRPG setting) are usually reserved only for Strategy RPGs). However, you make it straight action speeds, it puts a timed thinking into place. A lot of people play this game not even realizing how many things they take into consideration before each move they make.

Some things, as you may have mentioned, are a bit hard to make sense since they aren't clear. What constitutes as a tech or what constitutes as a physical attack, for one. Oddly enough, the same idea of what it is for Receiving the damage don't always apply for the monster Shooting said attack.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-04-27 12:59 ]</font>

physic
Apr 27, 2007, 03:16 PM
thing though is, none of it matters that much you can over power or brute force you way through pretty much. If only there were a challenge mode! requiring you to be fast and effecient!

Akaimizu
Apr 27, 2007, 03:19 PM
It really depends on what class you are, and how far you've gone in the game. Same with everything else where you can level to a high degree. Some of us, never even reached a level where we can Brute Force, if we wanted to. Not even at 80.

Serephim
Apr 27, 2007, 03:46 PM
The only failure of the complexity of this game and finding (weak) points in the monsters would be the fact that every Multiple Target Hitting weapon C O M P L E T E L Y rapes bosses.

I would be happy actully if almost ALL of the bosses's targets did 1/2 or 1/3, or even 1/4th damage.

For example :

De Ragan- Every point does 1/4 damage except for the wings, which do 1/3 damage, the Tail, which does 1/2 damage and the head which does full on damage.

That way, the new EX burn traps in the expansion (which better fucking get a damage lowering or any boss will no longer be fun to fight) and Tornado Break abusers wont get to own every boss in the game in 10 seconds flat.

But your completely right. The Complexity of this game is why i still say it has the potental to be 10x better than PSO ever was, but we GOT to get better levels!

And Challenge Mode in this game would be S E X.

Not sure, but S-Rank weapons on this game could work SOOOO freaking well!

After obtaining one, you could maybe give the weapon to your PM and allow him to transform R A W materials into things that level up your S-Rank weapon's affects. (For example, feeding him 10 Photons = +1 ATP. 10 Gra photons = +1% Light attribute.

Although, what we REALLY need to have lots of fun with the weapons on this game are SPECIAL ATTACKS.

We have Photon Arts, but we need Special Attacks now. Perhaps later, different weapons will have "Auto Photon Arts" that can either :

1) be automatically equipped to your photon art to do damage. For example, an Ice Gigush has a set ability to when you use Spinning Break, it does a Rabarta type effect and can freeze enimies, or simply have an ice aura that has a chance to freeze.

2) have seperate buttons for the special attack. Maybe its automatically mapped to maybe L +Triangle, but does just the normal attack with maybe a short charge animation like in PSO.

I think it wouldnt be hard to do, and would add tons more to the uniqueness of weapons.

Overall, this game is pretty awesome with the way its done, but its a real shame they threw away what i liked about PSO so much. (Everchanging level design and the Music Fades.)

Even though the levels have much better difference by missions, its not fun if no one ever plays the mission. The great thing about PSO was no one really HAD to do a quest to get rares or good exp, so PSU is actully suffering from the MMORPG syndrom : Grinding on certian things to get what you want/level up, instead of Playing for fun.

PsyX
Apr 27, 2007, 04:05 PM
On 2007-04-27 12:48, Miyoko wrote:
Yes. Yes it is. Upon realizing this, the game becomes more fun. 'cause yous start doing things you normally wouldn't, and end up going "Woah, I can do that?"

Spinning break is useful on flying enemies. Nifty for fortefighters who want to ground tenghogs.

That put a massive grin on my face when I found that out.

*Before knowing*

ARGH GOD DAMNED FLYING MONSTERS GET DOWN HERE T_T

*After knowing*

*GRINN* Bwahahahahahahaha =] THINK YOU'RE SAFE?!

SolomonGrundy
Apr 27, 2007, 05:50 PM
In game secret: the electric dragon on Neudiaz with sometimes stand completely still during a battlle. DO NOT stand directly in front of it during this time. If you do, you will suddenly die from massive, for no visible oncreen reason.

or the time I made 1 buffed kamatoze take a nap with a 100 meseta sleep trap, giving the other players enough time to pin down the other buffed kamatoze

or the time I use an ice weapon on Kaji-whatever it's name is, because I had really high % ice armor and ice has a low damage modifier.

Neith
Apr 27, 2007, 08:28 PM
You can hit Tengohgs (and I assume other large flying mobs) with some Hunter weapons. I know Anga Redda for sure works, as does Moubu Seiren-zan. You don't HAVE to use a gun to bring them down.

vg_geek86
Apr 27, 2007, 11:14 PM
U can do it with spears, but its tricky and u end up whoring ur pp since only certain pa animations actually hit. Still comes in handy though.

Cz
Apr 28, 2007, 01:40 AM
complex game is good. I dont like playing games that are too easy to beat or doesnt require thinking to win. PSU is decent with complexity...i didnt think i have trouble with this game yet. I played all 4 races for the 4 available slots just to test out their potential. Also, i tried out all different classes and play the class that suit them best. Although i like complex game, game like Elder Scroll sometime hurt my head. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Eleina
Apr 28, 2007, 08:11 AM
Complex??, huh? I never really found this game very complex. And thank goodness didn't want to have to think to much while playing http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Scion
Apr 28, 2007, 08:57 AM
Heheh...I'm sorry, but this thread was kinda asking for me to brag in it! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<brag>It's not hard if you've played with me...I'm just that good</brag>

LOL. But, really, it is somewhat complex. I mean, it's not just "Shoot shit up", "Nuke shit up", or "Hack shit up" and that's it (although, in some instances, you could get away with that >.>). It keeps my brain active so I'm not just firing Diga everywhere.

I think that's why this game has taken most of my life away from me...I really need to get back to it. x_x

EL-0104
Apr 28, 2007, 10:48 AM
On 2007-04-28 06:11, Eleina wrote:
Complex??, huh? I never really found this game very complex. And thank goodness didn't want to have to think to much while playing http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I agree. PSO was more complex. Especially with MAGs. My goodness. How many hit and misses I did to get the MAG I wanted.

amtalx
Apr 28, 2007, 02:09 PM
I think PSU is more complex than PSO. Its just as easy to screw up a PM as it is a Mag. With class customization, PAs, Bullets, and a greatly expanded Tech selection, there are a lot more decisions left up to the player.

Eleina
Apr 28, 2007, 02:12 PM
I'm playing the extra mode as i can't get online at the moment and it's REALLY COMPLEX and hard....lv34 and i still have never healed myself!!! Offline mode is really easy compared to online mode lol

amtalx
Apr 28, 2007, 02:14 PM
Offline sounds like a joke...wouldn't know though. First thing I did was go online. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

SStrikerR
Apr 28, 2007, 02:21 PM
After obtaining one, you could maybe give the weapon to your PM and allow him to transform R A W materials into things that level up your S-Rank weapon's affects. (For example, feeding him 10 Photons = +1 ATP. 10 Gra photons = +1% Light attribute.
-thatd be awesome

In game secret: the electric dragon on Neudiaz with sometimes stand completely still during a battlle. DO NOT stand directly in front of it during this time. If you do, you will suddenly die from massive, for no visible oncreen reason.

-woulda been nice to know this a few months ago, when i was freaking soloing that mission, and just got to the level to do B, i went from 10 scapes to 7..

amtalx
Apr 28, 2007, 02:25 PM
On 2007-04-28 12:21, Ryan113 wrote:
-thatd be awesome

Broken. That's what grinding is for (minus the elemental attribute.) It's not intended to be easy.

Umberger
Apr 28, 2007, 02:25 PM
On 2007-04-28 12:14, amtalx wrote:
Offline sounds like a joke...wouldn't know though. First thing I did was go online. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Calling offline mode a joke is an understatement. If you're feeling adventurous, go unlock extra mode, make a female Newman (keep it a Force) and see how long it takes before you can one hit kill anything (other than maybe a Gaozoran/Jusnagun/boss).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Umberger on 2007-04-28 12:25 ]</font>