PDA

View Full Version : Protransers - The Trap Combo Attack.

Tahldon
Apr 28, 2007, 06:34 PM
Baffled about what I mean by the Topic statement? Why I'd be glad to explain to you what I mean.

This morning whilst running Sealab (:P) I set a trap down. There was also another Protranser whom had done the same and when he blew my trap up I was confused at first, but then the gears started grinding in my head.

"What if two or more Trap users set down different traps at the same time and let one person detonate them all?" was what I thought. Sooo it occured to me that Protransers indeed possess that ability (along with other classes but I would go as far as to say it'd be most effective via Protransers).

I'm quite sure by now everyone knows what status effects can all be put on a monster at the same time. The same principle would go for traps as well. I'll explain. If a Burn trap was set then a Virus trap was set then one would overwrite the other. A Poison trap would do the same given which trap was set. One wouldn't use a Freeze trap and a Burn trap because obviously the Freeze trap would overwrite the Burn. So which combos can we make, you ask?

An example: Virus Trap + Freeze Trap + Damage Trap would work. There'd have to be three people to do that though (through respective classes).

Another would be: Burn trap + Confusion trap (Although I think a Shock Trap could go with that mix, not that it'd help at all.)

Also another combo I was thinking about was if one or more people just go all out and set down more than one kind of trap. (EI: Whilst fighting De Ragan, one or more people set down the max amount of Damage Traps one can drop - which would be 3 - in the same area and detonated them all. So if 3 people each dropped 3 traps then there'd be 9 total to blow up and since traps hit bigger enemies in lots of different areas I could see this being pretty effective).

I'm not sure if everyone has been doing this already or have even thought about it but for name's sake we can all call this "Trap Stacking".

It's an idea that came across my mind this morning. Feel free to comment.

Gryffin
Apr 28, 2007, 06:41 PM
o.O;;

So, someone blew up your trap in a chain reaction...? Sounds like fun

*changes class to Guntecher, runs off to test it*

Zarode
Apr 28, 2007, 07:05 PM
I knew about this for a while, but I didn't really think to spill it off as a...combo attack.

But yeah. SEs that work together make great trap combos...

Freshellent
Apr 28, 2007, 07:11 PM
I'm no transer but I'm working on one. So feel free to delete this or whatever but this is what I do when I trap.

This is coming from a Fighgunner btw.

Example enemy:Jarba x 3 (or just large enemies in general)

Drop a Freeze Trap G in between and detonate. Quickly switch to Poison and place one behind each frozen Jarba. (When this is done I clean up with a Mechgun/Twins pistols and keep my distance.)

I don't normally confuse,as I try to put distance between me and mobs unless I want to raise my SUV quickly. (provided I'm playing my CAST.)

However I do Burn/Confuse Dolva's and Carrugines. Works real well,I've dropped S monsters in seconds using that and a Gravity Strike.

The same can be used tactic could be used for other mobs as well,Just one Freeze G in a crowd and lay down a few Posion or damage traps BEHIND the enemy.

Or.

For smaller mobs I use a Damage Trap G to score a knockdown then place Damage traps next to the bodies,with the right timing it hits right on wake up. (Kinda like a okizeme.)
If your budget is better than mine or your fighting Tengouhs(sp) you can Damage G,Freeze,Poison. Mix and match to your hearts content.

Problem is people usually try to do other traps when I do this is random parties. Another problem is I get fellows that break the ice before I can lie the trap behind the enemy with Melee. So if other hunters are reading this,please be mindful of RA's Transers and yes,even Fighgunners.(Those that actually trap anyway.) If you seen a Big fellow frozen,let the RA's etc. get in the non melee damage in while the freeze effect is going. It does no good to use one if it just breaks the second it's used.

Also,for Fighgunners. You can Freeze G a mob and Tornado Dance x2 on some enemies,once past and turn around and do it again as they break out. (mostly intended for soloing or quick work in general.) Spear Art 2,Tornado Break,Twin Daggers(ones that spin) work well too. I usually clear rooms by myself without being touched with this method.

The only thing I can say in closing is I think people don't bother for two reasons. Alot of people are impatient,and others don't have the cash to spend on traps every run.

Stack traps is a must,or "comboing" like I do.

Josko
Apr 28, 2007, 07:15 PM
Mass trapping can be absolutely devestating, especially to guys with multiple hit points. Damage traps are great for this, simply because they look cool when set off in large numbers. If you need to have actual functionality, then Freeze + Virus is a classic.

Funny you should mention the Ragan, though. A while ago, I took part in Crimson Beast group composed of four transers, a force, and one other whose class I can't recall. Someone suggested we all blast the boss at once with our Damage G's, and it was pretty crazy. We basically carpet bombed the sucker.

Good times.

Pinecone
Apr 29, 2007, 12:54 AM
If other protransers can set of your traps I have a theory.

Say you are a lvl 2 or 3 or something protranser or some other class that can use traps. What if there were a higher level protranser were in the same party doing the "combo"

If he set off the traps would it deal a higher amount of damage since he is a higher level protranser then if you (the low lvl transer) were to set them all off?

I hope you get what I'm saying :/

Tykwa
Apr 29, 2007, 12:58 AM
The damage should be for each trap for that player, thus if a lvl 3 ranger set a trap and then a lvl 80 trap the lvl 3 would lets say do 40 dmg and the 80 does 500.
(not tested)

MattTheShark
Apr 29, 2007, 02:09 AM
On 2007-04-28 17:15, Josko wrote:
Funny you should mention the Ragan, though. A while ago, I took part in Crimson Beast group composed of four transers, a force, and one other whose class I can't recall. Someone suggested we all blast the boss at once with our Damage G's, and it was pretty crazy. We basically carpet bombed the sucker.

Good times.

yay http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Korokodo13
Apr 29, 2007, 02:30 AM
Yeah that happened to me and another PT... We kept setting traps for different monsters and one of us would detonate and ruin the others plan... The response from both of us was "WTF?!?"... So its pretty nice nice to know why our traps were getting randomly set off lol...

60Hz
Apr 29, 2007, 12:32 PM
to icespike:

the way i see it, your trapping switches from context to context... soloing, yeah its time to focus on destructive trap laying, in a party, people are going to be fighting all the time (at least i would hope they do) - time to do more support traps...

I used to be upset when someone wrecked my well planned trap string but then i realised they want to play too! and the outcome is usually the same - if not quicker and i still have traps on me, so traps become more of a defensive measure in a party or supplementary, not a WMD anymore as it is in solo...

I think a good trapper can adapt to the situation... just my 2 cents

however my biggest peeve is we need a trap palette, i use buffs and sometimes like to have a recovery item on my palette... i have to sacrifice something and it aint gonna be my traps... which leads me to doing alot of f2 menu juggling... along with armor swapping... whew...

Grumblecakes
Apr 29, 2007, 01:24 PM
In my experience as a fortegunner gone protranzer, my traps dont actually do more damage as I level the class up (currently level 6) although I have noticed that on level 5 i do get a nice critical hit (goes from 800 to 1200) from my damage traps every now and again.

Alamar
Apr 29, 2007, 01:48 PM
Hmm I am A Transer this sounds interesting. I have noticed traps stack. The first trap I like to use is the Virus G. Last night In Desert Goliath It Was doing 1921 Per tick. Love those VIrus G's lol

Tahldon
Apr 29, 2007, 01:55 PM
I'm actually wondering.. just out of curiousity, how fast a bunch of stacked traps would kill a De Ragan (mission C - just for testing purposes).

Say oooh...6 protransers circle the Deragan with traps while he's spitting fire 3 each which would be 18 total. I wonder how badly that'd hurt him. High level protransers or the like..

Freshellent
Apr 29, 2007, 01:56 PM
On 2007-04-29 10:32, 60Hz wrote:
to icespike:

the way i see it, your trapping switches from context to context... soloing, yeah its time to focus on destructive trap laying, in a party, people are going to be fighting all the time (at least i would hope they do) - time to do more support traps...

I used to be upset when someone wrecked my well planned trap string but then i realised they want to play too! and the outcome is usually the same - if not quicker and i still have traps on me, so traps become more of a defensive measure in a party or supplementary, not a WMD anymore as it is in solo...

I think a good trapper can adapt to the situation... just my 2 cents

however my biggest peeve is we need a trap palette, i use buffs and sometimes like to have a recovery item on my palette... i have to sacrifice something and it aint gonna be my traps... which leads me to doing alot of f2 menu juggling... along with armor swapping... whew...

Yeah,I totally understand what you mean,I just need something to complain about to be happy. I started using damage traps more recently since most SE traps wern't working as well. To be honest,it's not all that often that someone messes up a trap string,it's just frustrating to put money into something that doesn't work.

You make excellent point about their needing to be a trap menu seperate. It's hard to juggle items and having to constantly change palletes while running etc. My item pallet is usually as follows.
-Trimates
-Sol Atomizers
-Photon Charge
-Posion Trap
-Freeze G Trap
-Star Atomizers

It's not too bad, but sometimes I need those slots for:
-Antimates
-Moon Atomizer X (soon anyway)
-Dimates
-buffs

When I trap I usually make it a point to get ahead of a group,since I often load faster than my teamates,I try to put myself ahead without leaving a party behind,in case they need support or what have you.

By the time my party catches up I've already trapped SE's are on and cracking and proper Forteclasses can do the hard part. I spend the rest of the time cleaning up the little guys. But,from what you can guess I'm very situational.
/rant
I'm in the process of making a Protranser,I hope to whore out Burn EX and Shock traps. I can't wait.

Alamar
Apr 29, 2007, 02:08 PM
I agree with the trap Palette. I posted a question about a palette addition on AoI. But it was about armors tho. Then again it could be used for anything like traps. I hold 3 run specific but more would be better. I always need more on that thenit can hold. lol just a thought

XDeviousX
Apr 29, 2007, 02:13 PM
So do we know for sure if traps explode at the lvl of the person laying them or the person that sets them off? If its the latter then PTs became a whole lot more effective... If a PT and my figh lay damage traps and I let him set them off will my traps go off at his trap lvl? If so that would be amazing... If It is that each trap goes off at each character's lvl then I could set off the traps without lowering the PT's damage, and that is good for many other reasons as well...

Has anyone done extensive tests on this yet or just general in game novalty tests? Please someone give a comprehinsive explination of this so I can make new game plans and before rumors get started and run with...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: XDeviousX on 2007-04-29 12:36 ]</font>