PDA

View Full Version : what happened to music

BogusKun
Apr 29, 2007, 03:54 PM
particularly rap... its horrible?

I'm sure there is someone here that have heard lines like...

"I'm that type of girl you wanna chew up on my bubblegum"

"I'm that type of gul you wanna take-to-ya momma's house"

"DROP POP AND LOCK IT"

"I love the way she rock her hips and rock somethingsomething"

"Party Like a Rock Star"

I knew something this bad was going to happen. A lot of the music coming out sucks already. The radio plays the same damn 5 songs all the time, along with Ciara's LIKE A BOY song. What's worse is the fact that the chorus' play and loop longer than the lyrics in the song. >_<

VanHalen
Apr 29, 2007, 03:58 PM
Under my Umbrella ella eh eh eh under my umbrella.

BogusKun
Apr 29, 2007, 04:10 PM
They just make up stuff just like that man...

Something about LIP GLOSS...
for million dollar contracts... UUUGH!

I wonder what 50 Cent is going to do!

DonRoyale
Apr 29, 2007, 04:49 PM
On 2007-04-29 13:54, BogusKun wrote:

I'm sure there is someone here that have heard lines like...

"POP, LOCK AND DROP IT"

"I love the way she rock her hips and wave and sip"

Fixed.

The chorus is the hook, ultimately the most energy-packed part of the song. (Just ask any rock band, they'll tell you =)

Look, as much as I hate a lot of radio spins these days (I HATE Crime Mob, despise Ciara, and Unk is just beyond annoying with the whole "2 Step" thing...), but you have to find the music you like and go for it.

May 8th...On the 8th day, God released a Bone Thugs album. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif (And put them at #7 on Billboard this week, made my day on Friday =D)

And plus, there's always old-school.

But that's me...I like all modern and good music...except emo

If you ask me, hip-hop goes through cycles. Back in the 90's, gangster rap was the big thing...nowadays, it's the dance records ("Party Like A Rock Star", "2 Step", and "Buy U A Drank" to an extent.) I mean, the biggest rap hits in '06 were all dance hits. (OGOD JIM JONES >.<) "Lean With It, Rock With It", "Snap Yo Fingers", "Shoulder Lean"...

To tell you the truth, I like them, but dance records aren't my favorite. I wish they'd do something less...stupid.

With hip-hop, Nas is right. It's dead. If you listen to the record "Classic", by Nas, Kanye West, KRS-One, and Rakim, it'll pretty much sum up why.

Positivity has lost value in hip-hop. It has ever since gangster rap took the forefront, and has continued to dissolve with the degrading of women, constant bragging about how good they are, and IMO, the worst of it, taking your petty feuds outside the streets in mixtapes (Which is why I hate 50 Cent)

June 19th. I've marked it as a sad day in history for all of us. Let's just hope T-Pain can trump 50 on this one. >.>

UnderscoreX
Apr 29, 2007, 05:21 PM
A lot of lyrics are stupid and make use of slang you've probably never heard of, but there's also a lot of really REALLY clever stuff. Depends what you listen to.

DonRoyale
Apr 29, 2007, 05:25 PM
Lyrics are stupid nowadays. People dumb them down because the majority of people can't understand them, so it's all rhyming "bitch" with "shit", OMG #1 ON BILLBOARD LAWLZ, DOUBLE PLATINUM OMFG YAY!

God, I'll say it again: Nas was right. Hip-hop is dead.

FOAtHeart
Apr 29, 2007, 06:08 PM
john cage murdered it. MURDERED IT!

UnderscoreX
Apr 29, 2007, 06:12 PM
25 lyrical mishaps that made your favorite rappers wish they could go back in time and re-write their rhymes.

25. "Verse number 2 do the damn thang keeps on my neck pocket's full of Ben Franks."
-Yung Joc, "It's Goin' Down."
A classic case of saying...absolutely nothing.

24. "There's no need to lie folk, Why you sleepin' wit ya eyes closed?"
-Timbaland, "Get on the Bus"
Well, Tim, if I heard you rhyme like that all the time, I'd definitely sleep with my eyes and ears closed as well.

23. "I can double my density from three-sixty degrees to seven-twenty instantly."
-Canibus, "Funk Master Flex Freestyle"
Obviously, Canibus slept through 10th grade when they went over units of measurement.

22."Thirty-eight revolve like the sun round the Earth."
-Jay-Z, "It's Hot"
And, Jay-Z skipped all his Geography classes.

21. "N****s in the Bronx call me Lex cause I push a Lex, and I rock a Rolex and I lounge on Lex', and I love sex."
- Peter Gunz, "Deja Vu: Uptown Baby"
What are the odds that Cory Gunz ghostwrote this for his dad at age 9?

20. "Never let me slip, cause if I slip, then I'm slippin."
- Dr. Dre, "Nuthin' But a 'G' Thang"
Aren't we glad that he eventually decided to hire some serious ghostwriters afterwards?

19. "When it's hot I'm duckin them people with my fire arm Look I be straight thuggin."
-Turk, "Trife Livin"

18."My paragraph alone is worth five mics (uh-huh) A twelve song LP, that's thirty-six mics (uh-huh)"
- Redman "5 Boroughs"
Apparently, Reggie Noble's calculator is slightly different from ours.

17. Don't try to treat me like I AIN'T FAMOUS My apologies, are you into astrology Cause I'm, I'm tryin to make it to Uranus
- Kanye West, "Gettin' It In"
Oh I get it: there's Libra, Saggitarius, Scorpio and then Uranus. And you say Kanye doesn't deserve to have his image displayed next to the word 'genius' in the dictionary?

16."Hood n***a from Bankhead, I stay by Grandma Nana I lay by my banana, dumpin' and punkin' monkeys."
- Young Dro, "Shoulder Lean"
With all the money T.I. made from King, you'd think he would at least invest in a decent ghostwriter for his protégé.

15."When you take a sip you buzz like a hornet Billy Shakespeare wrote a whole bunch of sonnets."
-LFO, "Summer Girls"
These guys graduated from the prestigious Vanilla Ice Institute of Hip-Hop and decided to try their hands at random word association. Extra points for recording one of the worst songs ever known to man.

14. "Sometime y'all get crimey crimey, grimy grimy But those with a tiny hiney they get whiny whiny."
- Cam'Ron, "5 Boroughs"
Someone should have promptly informed Cam that this choppy choppy rhyme thing is silly silly.

13."I'm hungry for cheese like Hungry, Hungry Hippo."
- Project Pat ("Ballers")

12."If you don't bring back my m****f*****n money or my m***f****n dope, you can forget about Christmas n***a, cause you ain't gon even see New Years."
- Master P ("Do You Know")
Let me get this right, New Year comes before Christmas? I see.

11."It's like fee, fie, foe, fum, I smell the blood of a jealous a*s punk."
-Prodigy ("Click Clack")
Rap doesn't inspire Prodigy anymore, so, he decides to bite Jodeci's lyrics.

10."First family will gradually lift that a*s up like gravity."
- Lil' Fame (of M.O.P.) ("Half and Half")

9."I like the way ya a*s move to the beat You a freak, that's summin you can be."
-J-Kwon ("Show Your Ass")

8."Young, black, and famous, with money hangin out the anus."
-Mase ("Can't Nobody Hold Me Down")
Now, that's the type of money I definitely don't wanna be messing with.

7."I like them black, white, Puerto Rican, or Haitian Like Japanese, Chinese, or even Asian."
-Chingy ("Balla Baby")
Wow, I didn't realize that China and Japan weren't even part of the Asian continent. Thanks Chingy.

6."I'll break it down for you now, baby it's simple If you be a nympho, I'll be a nympho."
-50 Cent ("Candy Shop")
Well, what do you expect from an artist whose stage moniker in itself constitutes a grammatical mishap?

5."Thirty-two grams raw, chop it in half, get sixteen, double it times three. We got forty-eight, which mean a whole lot of cream Divide the profit by four, subtract it by eight We back to sixteen..."
-Foxy Brown ("Affirmative Action")
This holds the world record for the worst mathematics on a song.

4."Got a Bill in my mouth like I'm Hilary Rodham."
-Ali G (Grillz)
No comments.

3."D.D.T. the b**ch, I can go for some hours Let Parlae hit, together we like twin towers."
-Pimpin ("Freaky as She Wanna Be")
A bad joke gone badder.

2."I watch my back when I'm walkin, I watch my mouth when I'm talkin. My glock cocked when I'm crawlin."
-Mike Jones ("Scandalous H**s")
What's next? I watch my ears when I'm hearing, I watch my sight when I'm seeing...?

1.Now you know that I'm the Queen of Miami All that loud talkin lyin save that sh*t for your mammy Sounds like "blah, blah blah, blah bla blah-bla" I'm like uh-huh (uh-huh) okay (okay) Whassup (whassup) SHUT UP!"
-Trina ("Here We Go")

DonRoyale
Apr 29, 2007, 06:20 PM
I seriously lol'ed at some of those.

*rofl*

Siertes
Apr 29, 2007, 06:37 PM
That list is severely lacking in "Dipset". All 25 should have came from this song.

DizzyDi
Apr 29, 2007, 07:18 PM
On 2007-04-29 15:21, UnderscoreX wrote:
A lot of lyrics are stupid and make use of slang you've probably never heard of, but there's also a lot of really REALLY clever stuff. Depends what you listen to.

Right on.

EphekZ
Apr 29, 2007, 07:46 PM
IT'S PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DonRoyale
Apr 29, 2007, 07:51 PM
And...then there's the bubblegum records. Shit that makes no sense. >.>

Scrub
Apr 30, 2007, 04:08 PM
Well generally when you no longer like some music you stop listening to it and try something else out instead.

Just a thought?

Sayara
Apr 30, 2007, 04:46 PM
Then whats the point for nagging?

drizzle
Apr 30, 2007, 04:48 PM
Rap isn't music

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Apr 30, 2007, 06:06 PM
On 2007-04-30 14:48, drizzle wrote:
Rap isn't my type of music

Fixed.
Thanks for sharing.

8."Young, black, and famous, with money hangin out the anus."
-Mase ("Can't Nobody Hold Me Down")

Yes, great line that one. You don't forget things like that. Classic.

Can't say I'd like to go back to the 90's where everything was a remix though. Don't listen to too much radio crap myself.

DizzyDi
Apr 30, 2007, 06:48 PM
[b]On 2007-04-30 16:06, HAYABUSA-FMW-

Can't say I'd like to go back to the 90's where everything was a remix though. Don't listen to too much radio crap myself.

You can thank Puff Daddy/P. Diddy/Diddy for that.
He's put out like 50 million bad boy remix albums.

BogusKun
May 2, 2007, 12:58 PM
I need to switch to SIRIUS radio in my car soon before my ears explode. I'm switching to rock again for now.

Weeaboolits
May 2, 2007, 01:18 PM
I don't listen to the radio. u_u

amtalx
May 2, 2007, 02:00 PM
Exactly. There is more good music out there than you will ever listen to. Just don't expect to hear it on the radio. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

InfinityXXX
May 5, 2007, 01:08 AM
Basically music nowadays is ALL about the money. Record companies find somebody with a look or a decent sound (that or their friends they wanna hook up) give them some cheesy lyrics and a dance and *BOOM thats about a good 10 mil on one single.

What mainly annoys me is snap music. I hate it so much. I was at a club and "Lean wit it rock wit it" came on. I sat out and watched these ignorants fools SNAP FOR ABOUT 4 MINUTES! The same movements (though some got a bit creative) for 4 minutes. Then after that song, "snap ya fingaz" came on and the people snapped for another good 3 minutes.

I take dancing seriously and I absolutely HATE these dance raps that have everybody lookin like idiots. C'mon, watch yourself do "The Heizman" in the mirror.......no matter who you are, u'll look like an idiot.

Think of it like this, humans like simple dances with music. Look at the sucess of THE cHA cHA SLIDE, Macarena, hokey pokey, and twist. Poeple love simple dances.

But my deal is, is that its ok to make a song with a dance to it, but that SONG should not DOMINATE many other talented songs. Not only that, but if ur a rapper that came out with a stupid ass dance, then don't try to act all hard and think your a lyrical genious. I can easily get my 10 year old sister to make up a dance with simple words.
---------------------
Majority of rap has become too mainstream that it seriously needs to die out. Hip Hop has been warped and twisted by the media and by ignorant ass people so much that finding true hip hop is like finding Waldo.

Not only that but a lot of rappers that try to claim that rap is dead because of "blah,blah...".....are damn hippocrits their selves.

I'm not saying all rap should be conscious....but HELL, TALK ABOUT SOMETHING! Something other than doing a dance, what u did in the club, how ur car looks like, or what u have. At least when the G funk era was in, they TALKED about something and told a story in their raps. Thats the point of rap, to talk about stuff over a beat with some music.
----------------
As of now, almost EVERY song thats being played on the radio i strongly dislike. But At least my radio station play "I tried" which is a real cool track (besides the fact of AKon's annoying voice. I swear his voice irks me.)

HAYABUSA-FMW-
May 5, 2007, 02:28 AM
I don't read a whole lotta blogs but recommend this one in particular as it pertains to this topic:

Posted 4.30.2007
The Rawkus Era: Hip-Hop's Last Great Hope (http://straightbangin.blogspot.com/2007/04/rawkus-era-hip-hops-last-great-hope.html)

Also finally got around to watching Dave Chappelle's Block Party to hear Dead Prez's Turn off the Radio for the first time.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HAYABUSA-FMW- on 2007-05-05 00:29 ]</font>

Mystil
May 5, 2007, 10:47 AM

Here is what happened to rap:

Notorious B.I.G.
Big Pun
2-Pac

= Died

Timberland
Missy Elliot
Eminem(spelling)
Puff Daddy/P-Diddy/Sean Combs/WTF his name is now
Magoo

= Don't really rap as much as they used

50cent
Ja-rule
Ashante
Nas <-- POSER

= Suck ass and contributing to raps downfall

Foxy Brown
Lil'Kim

= Behind bars, they also suck

There you have it.

Schubalts
May 5, 2007, 12:45 PM
Gunther exists.

Therefore, I am happy.

Jehosaphaty
May 5, 2007, 01:21 PM
On 2007-05-05 00:28, HAYABUSA-FMW- wrote:
Posted 4.30.2007
The Rawkus Era: Hip-Hop's Last Great Hope (http://straightbangin.blogspot.com/2007/04/rawkus-era-hip-hops-last-great-hope.html)

The poet Taalam is pure emotion and power.

Zorafim
May 5, 2007, 03:40 PM
The radio has never had any decent songs. Every single song I hear on it I can tell came from somebody who never even studied music. Actual musicians are often out of jobs, while these kids make these albums that don't even make any musical sense, and people put them on the radio for everyone to hear.
I swear, I can improvise better than any of these "artists" can make a song, and I only learned how to improvise within the last couple of weeks by accident.

Mystil
May 5, 2007, 05:42 PM
On 2007-05-05 10:45, Schubalts wrote:
Gunther exists.

Therefore, I am happy.

I'm not.

I just gave all up on rap after Pun left.

These new people in rap now have turned it in some.. ghetto-yard. There's not 'emotion' or 'message' or 'lessons to learn' anymore. Just straight, 'who I'm gonna fuck' 'who I'm gonna kill' negro this and negro that.

~_~. . . . .

imfanboy
May 5, 2007, 06:25 PM
On 2007-05-05 11:21, Jehosaphaty wrote:

Posted 4.30.2007

The poet Taalam is pure emotion and power.

QFT. I don't like rap, but if more rappers sounded like him and thought like him I'd buy every album.

DizzyDi
May 5, 2007, 10:48 PM
On 2007-05-05 08:47, Mystil wrote:

Here is what happened to rap:

Notorious B.I.G.
Big Pun
2-Pac

= Died

Timberland
Missy Elliot
Eminem(spelling)
Puff Daddy/P-Diddy/Sean Combs/WTF his name is now
Magoo

= Don't really rap as much as they used

50cent
Ja-rule
Ashante
Nas <-- POSER

Foxy Brown
Lil'Kim

= Behind bars, they also suck

There you have it.

...Ashante isn't even a rapper.
And how is Nas a poser? Nas is one of the greatest rappers out there, C'MON NOW!
You just named a buncha rappers in one subgenre (Gangsta) and totally forget that there are other subgenres of rap out there.
WHAT ABOUT LUPE FIASCO, LITTLE BROTHER, THE ROOTS, COMMON, MOS DEF, TALIB KWELI, DE LA SOUL, SLUM VILLAGE, ETC., ETC.?

I don't read a whole lotta blogs but recommend this one in particular as it pertains to this topic:

The thing about that article is that everytime the Sun shines there is supposed to be someone that is "BRINGING BACK HIP-HOP".
Blackstar was supposed to do it, Kanye was supposed to do it, Little Brother was supposed to do it, Lupe Fiasco is supposed to be doing it.
Hip-Hop isn't dead, its just being exploited and as a consequence its being misunderstood and its suffering.
I.E.: People who hate on rap based on just what they hear on the radio.

Jehosaphaty
May 5, 2007, 11:10 PM
All this talk about what's on the radio: does anybody actually still listen to the radio? In a weeks time, I'm not sure if I listen to even five minutes.

DonRoyale
May 6, 2007, 09:14 AM
I listen to the radio when I'm not watching music videos or listening to CD's or whatnot, in an attempt to find something somewhat reasonably listenable.

I have a very hard time, and with good reason with the top 4 my radio station plays:
-Crime Mob's "Rock Yo Hips"
-Ne-Yo's "Because Of You"
-T-Pain's "Buy U A Drank" (This one isn't so bad, it just gets real annoying real fast)
-Lloyd's "Get It Shawty"

Pretty damn bad if you ask me. Where's Nas? Where's Bone Thugs?

And where the hell is HIP-HOP?! :'(

InfinityXXX
May 6, 2007, 09:44 AM
On 2007-05-06 07:14, DonRoyale wrote:
I have a very hard time, and with good reason with the top 4 my radio station plays:
-Crime Mob's "Rock Yo Hips"
-Ne-Yo's "Because Of You"
-T-Pain's "Buy U A Drank" (This one isn't so bad, it just gets real annoying real fast)
-Lloyd's "Get It Shawty"

Yup, thats about the top 4 on all the radio stations where i'm at. Except now, I dont hear Lloyd that often anymore and I think he got replaced with "Pop,Lock, and drop it"

I really can't stand these songs except "Beacuse of you" (and thats only because of the similarities Ne Yo has to Michael Jackson. But all the other songs suck much ass and the videos for them are no better.

Rock your hip's hook is so damn annoying and corny and not only that but the female rapper's verse just make me frown up everytime.

"Buy u a drank" is a rip off of every damn hit song with weak production and even weaker vocals.(T-pain was forced to sing and now i wanna kill whoever's decision that was). But the words are soo dumb. He uses words from every hit song(i guess because the song is taking palce in a club) but I find it as a cheap way to make a song. (lets use addictive hooks from past songs to make my song even more addictive)

Last but not least "Get it SHawty" is the worst thing to ever happen to music. Not only can Lloyd not sing(its obvious hes using a computer to make his voice tolerable) but the chorus is so pathetic. I had downloaded "Get it shawty" before it was released and I was like no way this sh*t is gonna sell but it looks like i was VERY wrong.

But this brings me back to antoher thing thats bad in the music business.......people don't/can't SING ANYMORE! How dare you classify yourself as a singer and you can't sing. I mean, just think if all the popular "singers" went on American/Pop Idol...Only a few would actually pass the auditions. Instead we are blinded by looks. Looks and how well they can dance. T-pain, Ciara, Chris Brown, Lloyd, Keish Cole (i dunno how the hell she became a singer), and much much more are all singers who are making it by looks.......well all except T-pain (the guy looks like a turd from the sewers.....and he has the nerve to be arrogant on his looks)
------------------

On another note, another thing that pisses me off about pop music, particularly Hip Pop is how many of the artist and fans find other genres of music like rock or country bad but once they sample it into a rap/r&b song its suddenly "cool" now. When I listend to a lot of dance I use to get a lot of frowns from a lot of people but all of a sudden, Timbaland and Diddy started to use dance/trance sounds in their songs and everyone likes it. Have you listend to Timbaland's newest cd? Half of it can be qualified as the dance genre. Sexy Back, My Love....?....dance/trance music.

To be honest, I think a lot of people are ready for some true music with talented musicians and rappers. A lot of people listen to this music mainly because of the cheap yet addictive beat or sound but i go around my school and out to places and I bump up people like K-os, The Roots, Common, Van hunt, and I get a lot of positive reactions to their music. I usually get the "Wow, they sound nice, how come I've never heard of them"

astuarlen
May 6, 2007, 10:23 AM
One of these threads again?

If you can't find good music, you aren't really looking, as far as I'm concerned. I don't listen to the radio--hell, I cannot get even one station to come in clearly where I live (this building must be some sort of bunker thingamajibber which repells lasers and cosmic rays and radio and stuff)--and I have awesome music pouring out my ears.

No more complaining!

DonRoyale
May 6, 2007, 10:40 AM
I honestly think Keyshia Cole has a beautiful voice. But that's apparently just me >.>

Meh, R&B is trying to sift more into hip-hop than soul if you ask me.

opaopajr
May 10, 2007, 03:52 AM
honey child, radio was shit when I was in high school. the industry has been about snappin' up and neuterin' anything with talent, emotion, or a message. hip hop is just another bag o' bones to add to the heap. if you really want to find good stuff you're just gonna have to turn your radio off and start hittin' up good clubs and talk to serious music enthusiasts. and yes the masses will always buy the pre-packaged bullshit. there's a lot of people who just don't care about anything any further than their next cold one/bong hit/good lay/self-righteous kick... and they're the mo-fos who're wastin' their retirement money the fastest. until you start droppin' money like them cows and sheep you'll never get to hear good shit in pop culture.

Solstis
May 10, 2007, 12:58 PM
The club scene is what happened to music. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif Gosh darn indie and club kids are sucking up all the good stuff in the clubs and their parties.

Kimil
May 10, 2007, 01:23 PM
I've never heard of any of that you just mentioned... A good tihng maybe?
I'll stick to music I already listen to, liiiiiiiiiike irght now I'm hearing:

Hands in The Sky - Straylight

Ever heard of them ? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Most haven't

Zorafim
May 10, 2007, 01:32 PM
Rap isn't music

Technically, it's music. It has a chord progression (though normally it's the same four chords repeated infinitely), A beat (overemphasized to compinsate), and that's pretty much it. Unfortunately, that's pretty much all you need for a piece of music. Hell, African drum beating and Indian wailing counts as music.
However, I still wouldn't call them "songs".

Solstis
May 10, 2007, 07:04 PM
On 2007-05-10 11:32, Zorafim wrote:

Rap isn't music

Hell, African drum beating and Indian wailing counts as music.
However, I still wouldn't call them "songs".

White people single chord rock is music too.

omegapirate2k
May 10, 2007, 07:56 PM
Drop it like it's haaawt, drop it like it's haaaawt.

Kimil
May 10, 2007, 08:43 PM
Maybe she she forgot about our talks
or maybe I'm mistaken
but I'm swear to god,
she's not getting out of this
without some kind of explination
Am I drainning all your patience?
Maybe scaring you a little?
Just because I came to visit
doesn't mean you have to hide
I'll be waiting on the side, of your house
with an empty body bag and loaded 45

Lol, anyways know these lyrics? XD

Zorafim
May 10, 2007, 10:34 PM
White people single chord rock is music too.

What's a chord rock?

Hrigg
May 14, 2007, 06:30 AM
People who say rap sucks need to listen to Clipse.

Music is still going strong, just mainstream music isn't.

Ma_Navu
May 14, 2007, 10:58 AM
In my opinion, I think all forms of music are dying, not just hip-hop. Sure, their lyrics are retarded and require no thought to really have made, but everything else is rotting away. Rock? Barely anything memorable nowadays. Remember the good ol' days, with "Can't Stop me Now," "Bohemian Rhapsody," "We Will Rock You," "Highway to Hell," "Stairway to Heaven," "War Pigs," etc.? What replaced those songs from the 60's - 80's? An wide assortment of forgettable "who sung that?" tunes.

I, for one, find it kinda dissatisfying that I can't look forward to telling my kids of the several memorable bands I've experienced if I ever do get kids, because they'll probably be listening to their own brand of next-generation bullshit music. I can only borrow some tunes here and there from my father's generation of music, and it saddens me.

Now, to be fair, there are some good songs out there that could be memorable if a bit more popularized. I personally love almost any song done by Dream Theater, as those are REAL songs-- songs that last a good 15 to 30 minutes long, with complex solo's and complementing harmonics, great vocals, and a drummer that can go 500,000 mph whenever he pleases... and chooses to only do so when appropriate for the good of the song. That's what I call music.

And to paraphrase Sam Kinnison:

"I once bought a rap album, to be fair. They told me that these guys were the best, they rapped about world issues, this, and that. So I listened to it. Folks, pull out a $10-bill and wipe your ass with it, and you'll get the same value as listening to this fuckin' album."

Damn, now I feel like the parents of the 70's rockers. I might as well be saying, "I don't understand you kids, what with your electric gee-tars and loud music. I remember back in my day, I used to listen to real music, like Frank Sinatra!" xD

DizzyDi
May 14, 2007, 12:26 PM
I think anybody that says any certain music genre sucks is being pretty ignorant.
Just cause it ain't your cup of tea doesn't mean you oughta bash it.

BogusKun
May 14, 2007, 01:37 PM
On 2007-05-04 23:08, InfinityXXX wrote:
What mainly annoys me is snap music. I hate it so much. I was at a club and "Lean wit it rock wit it" came on. I sat out and watched these ignorants fools SNAP FOR ABOUT 4 MINUTES! The same movements (though some got a bit creative) for 4 minutes. Then after that song, "snap ya fingaz" came on and the people snapped for another good 3 minutes.

Not only that, but if ur a rapper that came out with a stupid ass dance, then don't try to act all hard and think your a lyrical genious. I can easily get my 10 year old sister to make up a dance with simple words.

The snapping... I understand your pain. To think that, I was in Hawai'i when this same thing happened. hahah!~

and you hit the 10 yr old sister thing right on the mark. That's why they have Lil' Mama do Lip Gloss. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Weeaboolits
May 14, 2007, 02:55 PM
[Verse 1]
Top of the food chain, devourin' the competition,
abort mission cause it's the bomb like nuclear fission.
To go against an arsonist, now that's a bad decision,
cause they steadily droppin' shit like a flock of pigeons.
So listen as I paddle up your ear canals, torrential
waters on instrumentals, feedin' you vitamins and all essentials.
Potential's monumental when it comes to hip-hop,
makin' a terror stop is like holdin' back a triceratops
Our ratios replacin' those, wannabes you're facing pros.
Screamin' 'bout your drugs, money, violence and fellatios.
Stereotypes got you blind like Venetian.
This bullshit they speakin's causing o-zone depletion.
Delivery upon completion, we're civilized like the Phoenecians,
but won't hesitate, commence deletion!
I hit backspace and you're gone with a second:
My clarity's beyond when I stay mic checkin'
That verse pretty much sums it up, I think.

Although I'm not a big rap listener, it's not because I hate rap, I'ven't any problem with it by it's very nature, it's just that I've heard very few rap songs that I like; my brother listens to a lot of it, but he's a total poser and listens to the aforementioned snapping garbage and such.

DizzyDi
May 14, 2007, 03:20 PM
O hay I love that song Ronin.

Kent
May 14, 2007, 07:57 PM
Screw you guys, William Shatner is the best rapper ever. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Being something of an audiophile myself, I do enjoy quite a wide range of music... However, if there's one genre I've never been able to enjoy, to any extent, it'd have to be rap. :/ Pretty much any I hear, is just painful to listen to, with the various sounds being a combination of narrow and redundant.

Oh well. Aerosmith > All, anyway.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
May 15, 2007, 03:24 AM
Don't worry Kent, as a self proclaimed audiophile I'm sure you understand two basic concepts of having tastes in music:

Everybody's a critic

Nobody makes music for critics

UnderscoreX
May 15, 2007, 06:40 AM
On 2007-05-05 08:47, Mystil wrote:
Nas <-- POSER

Oh you just did not say that!
Nas has done more for Hip Hop than most artists can even dream about trying. And what part of him is a poser exactly ? Was that you just trying to say you don't like him, while adding a nice angsty twist.

Anyyyywasy, this topic got derailed pretty quickly. It went from how bad radio rap is to how much everyone hates music in general.

doubleEXP
May 15, 2007, 02:29 PM
If you pull my card you pull the Ace,
And if you ask me turn up the bass,
And if you play Defender I can beat your hyper-space.
Body movin', body movin'
Let's get down to some soul groovin'

By far not the best Beastie album (that honor belongs to Paul's Boutique, for the best in men's clothing) but any song that mentions Defender rockets to the top of my list.

Just sayin' >_>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: doubleEXP on 2007-05-15 12:30 ]</font>

Tykwa
May 15, 2007, 03:29 PM
On 2007-05-14 08:58, Ma_Navu wrote:
In my opinion, I think all forms of music are dying, not just hip-hop. Sure, their lyrics are retarded and require no thought to really have made, but everything else is rotting away. Rock? Barely anything memorable nowadays. Remember the good ol' days, with "Can't Stop me Now," "Bohemian Rhapsody," "We Will Rock You," "Highway to Hell," "Stairway to Heaven," "War Pigs," etc.? What replaced those songs from the 60's - 80's? An wide assortment of forgettable "who sung that?" tunes.

I, for one, find it kinda dissatisfying that I can't look forward to telling my kids of the several memorable bands I've experienced if I ever do get kids, because they'll probably be listening to their own brand of next-generation bullshit music. I can only borrow some tunes here and there from my father's generation of music, and it saddens me.

Now, to be fair, there are some good songs out there that could be memorable if a bit more popularized. I personally love almost any song done by Dream Theater, as those are REAL songs-- songs that last a good 15 to 30 minutes long, with complex solo's and complementing harmonics, great vocals, and a drummer that can go 500,000 mph whenever he pleases... and chooses to only do so when appropriate for the good of the song. That's what I call music.

And to paraphrase Sam Kinnison:

"I once bought a rap album, to be fair. They told me that these guys were the best, they rapped about world issues, this, and that. So I listened to it. Folks, pull out a $10-bill and wipe your ass with it, and you'll get the same value as listening to this fuckin' album."

Damn, now I feel like the parents of the 70's rockers. I might as well be saying, "I don't understand you kids, what with your electric gee-tars and loud music. I remember back in my day, I used to listen to real music, like Frank Sinatra!" xD

Agreed, But I like Techno more than Classic, followed by Rock after Classic after Techno, Listning to Piano and such can be very calming for me.

foamcup
May 15, 2007, 07:36 PM
On 2007-04-29 15:21, UnderscoreX wrote:

Yes, like One Night in Bangkok, it's about chess.

I don't see you guys rating
The kind of mate I'm contemplating
I'd let you watch, I would invite you
But the queens we use would not excite you

:3

Zorafim
May 16, 2007, 01:45 AM
Techno is nice to listen to for some reason, but I refer back to the African's banging on drums as music in this case. Unless it has a chord progression, it's just a series of noises to me.