PDA

View Full Version : Sonic Team sure can make some amazing missions!

Helly
Apr 29, 2007, 08:55 PM
I had kinda fallen behind in the episode two story mode as of late so today I was playing catchup. As usual I was awestruck by how well crafted the levels are, the enemy and trap placement and so on.

Some examples~

Chapter four as a whole actually made me like the colony. LL & FFF are so old and worn out. The maps and baddie variety are just so much better. Rescuing people is also a nice goal.

Then in chapter six with that lone Gaozoran trapped inside a mini-maze of fences firing its all powerful Foie at you as you try to make it through the maze to hit switches and avoid get crushed. Then there's a bunch of switches on the floor which you must goggle to find the correct ones to step on.

How about the second part of chapter eight? The level design is fairly simplistic but it comes with those bothersome flames to dodge and a backwards time limit AND a survival horror-esque feel to it with the unstoppable "Mr. X" chasing you down.

And did I mention the lobbies? Aside from the "end" lobbies pretty much all of the free mission ones are lame! But the story lobbies are so wonderful we should have meetups in those!

So yeah like~why are Free Missions such a yawner when we could and kinda already do have so much better?

PALRAPPYS
Apr 29, 2007, 08:57 PM
SEGA doesn't want to make multiple traps for multiple map variations...

It's gotta be that. Yep. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

Sinue_v2
Apr 29, 2007, 09:09 PM
Chapter four as a whole actually made me like the colony. LL & FFF are so old and worn out. The maps and baddie variety are just so much better. Rescuing people is also a nice goal.

Eh, I agree for the most part that storyline missions and party missions are fairly well designed. The free missions kinda suck though.

And I have issues with Story Mission 4. Decent concept, but they really fucked up by having the clock keep counting down even durring cutscenes and loading times. That's just a very cheap tactic to use. I don't mind tough areas, but let me know I failed an area or boss because of my own reasons, not because you continually kept shaving time away in areas I had pretty much no control over.

PrinceBrightstar
Apr 30, 2007, 02:49 AM
I think that counting down helps with the realism of the situation. I mean if you were talking to someone while waiting for a train to arrive, time wouldn't stop as you were talking right?

Ether
Apr 30, 2007, 03:08 AM
I would also cut my conversations short if I was in a hurry, chapter 4 is painful because of the constant loading and cut scenes

Hrith
Apr 30, 2007, 07:29 AM
But the countdown was calculated to give you way enough time despite the conversations, so there's no problem with that o_o

Eleina
Apr 30, 2007, 07:30 AM
On 2007-04-29 18:57, PALRAPPYS wrote:
SEGA doesn't want to make multiple traps for multiple map variations...

It's gotta be that. Yep. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

Agreed to much work for them...