PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm going to become a newage-noobgunner

Zorafim
Apr 30, 2007, 12:01 AM
After getting my second spear out for a random moatoob run, I've realized how detrimental the weapon lag is. Being able to switch PAs on the fly was amazing (daggas to robado, and vice versa). So, I'm going the noobgunner way and getting a pallete filled with spears, sans two spots saved for a stun weapon (axe with the first PA) and a handgun-paired weapon (single claw). This will allow me to change elements and PAs quickly and effectively, instead of waiting half a minute for my weapon to load every time I need a new one for a new situation.

So, um, thoughts?

Sinue_v2
Apr 30, 2007, 12:39 AM
PC or PS2? I have the same problem on the PS2 version, which is why I was contemplating on going to the 360 (plus the improved graphics), but I'm going to try the PC version first and see if that helps.

I'd say it's a decent strategy... I do sort of the same thing, but to lesser effect on my GunTecher. (No attack techs... Resta and Reverser only on both my wands, both wands are offset with Crossbows of the same type. Two Dual Handguns of the same type. 1 Shotgun, 1 Bow)

I don't have a pure melee character, so I can't speak to that. Works great for switching between my two fists or my two sabers, but I have tech laden wands in the mix too - and the differing techs still slow me down.

Freshellent
Apr 30, 2007, 12:45 AM
Just mail me in game. I got 2 cents for you on Noobgunnin'

Hrith
Apr 30, 2007, 07:31 AM
On 2007-04-29 22:01, Zorafim wrote:
So, I'm going the noobgunner way (...) (axe with the first PA)Aren't you the n00b who thinks Fighgunner can use Axes? ;o

Kimil
Apr 30, 2007, 07:35 AM
On 2007-04-30 05:31, Hrith wrote:

On 2007-04-29 22:01, Zorafim wrote:
So, I'm going the noobgunner way (...) (axe with the first PA)Aren't you the n00b who thinks Fighgunner can use Axes? ;o

He's an fF.

The 'noobgunner' is term that came from figunners who used nothing but the double saber. Noobgunners are basically players who only use one weapon type: so its not really a referance to Figunners specifially, but weapon-type Spammers

So he'll be a noobgunner in the way that he'll mostly use spears

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kimil on 2007-04-30 05:38 ]</font>

Paramedic
Apr 30, 2007, 10:04 AM
Noobgunners scare me, period.

Midicronica
Apr 30, 2007, 10:38 AM
Spears are awesome. I have a friend who did the same thing you're doing, so I really don't find what you're doing strange. Rawk on, yo! :razz;

Aralia
Apr 30, 2007, 12:28 PM
*was actually gonna do that on a themed character but decided against it cause I really didn't want to delete my char.*

Sure go for it. I'd have it set up on an alt char though.. mostly cause I like variety and melee weps don't usually take that long to load. (though techs are the complete opposite on the spectrum...)

RadiantLegend
Apr 30, 2007, 12:58 PM
That'll work but personally as a fF its good to have a variety of weapons. Although I'm guilty of not using daggers at "all".

jayster
Apr 30, 2007, 01:18 PM
Noob.

That's like saying a fortegunner who uses all phantoms is a noob or a fortetecher who uses all rods is a noob. Double sabers might not be the best weapon for al monsters but theyr very good weapons.
I guess we should get ready for the term acro noob to surface soon

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jayster on 2007-04-30 11:20 ]</font>

imfanboy
Apr 30, 2007, 01:23 PM
Have you tried turning off the BGM?

Doing that practically eliminates weapon lag and loading time; oh, it doesn't ENTIRELY destroy it but it comes pretty close.

Sure, both Dus Daggas and Dus Robado are excellent PAs, but why limit yourself? So many good PAs to use...

Kaydin
Apr 30, 2007, 01:29 PM
Don't you people know what a metaphor is? He's comparing his way of playing - being a Fortefighter who uses mainly spears - to the "noobgunner", who is a Fighgunner who uses only Double Sabers. He said nothing about changing class.

I say go for it. There's nothing wrong with characters that mainly use one type of weapon.
I don't even see anything wrong with Fighgunners who specialize in Double Sabers, other than the fact that the noobish ones spam Tornado Dance, and that there's so many of them.
Plus, Spears are a very decent weapon. Double Sabers ain't.

To the haters: Everyone has their own way of playing. If you don't like it, go somewhere else.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kaydin on 2007-04-30 11:30 ]</font>

Rashiid
Apr 30, 2007, 01:39 PM
On 2007-04-30 11:18, jayster wrote:
Noob.

That's like saying a fortegunner who uses all phantoms is a noob or a fortetecher who uses all rods is a noob. Double sabers might not be the best weapon for al monsters but theyr very good weapons.
I guess we should get ready for the term acro noob to surface soon

well the term n00b varies from classes.

n00b hunter = uses one weapon.
n00b force = spams foie/diga/dambarta, and nothing else.
n00b ranger = meh, cant really have one, since ya cant complain about Lv4 SEs http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Zorafim
Apr 30, 2007, 01:53 PM
On 2007-04-30 11:23, imfanboy wrote:

Doing that practically eliminates weapon lag and loading time; oh, it doesn't ENTIRELY destroy it but it comes pretty close.

Sure, both Dus Daggas and Dus Robado are excellent PAs, but why limit yourself? So many good PAs to use...

Completely turning it off, as in going to the game menu menu and setting the music to 0? I've tried that, but I didn't pay attention to the weapon load times. Maybe I should run some tests.
Besides that, switching between the same weapon types is instant, meaning I can easily go from AoE mode to DoT mode, or from fire killing mode to darkness killing mode (only ice and light weapons match my character ; http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif.

The reason why I choose spears is because, as well as them being flipping sweet, they can do everything a FF wants to do. They can stun lock a group of small enemies before blowing them away, or they can decimate a large enemy. The only thing they can't do well is stun lock a large enemy, which is why I need a knock around PA. I agree that it's a shame that I have so much diversity in my job, and I'm limiting myself to a single weapon type. But I feel that I'll be more versatile if I'm able to switch what I need to do instantly instead of being forced to wait.
Looking back, I can get more space for spears in my palette if I get rid of my spear and use the first single claw PA. I starts with a knock up and finishes with a knockback. I hate the way it looks, but it should work well in rounding out my weapon selection.

Hrith
Apr 30, 2007, 02:18 PM
You know, I was joking, too >_>

Anyway, a Fighgunner using only Double Sabers could be good if they used all three PAs. Gravity Dance, Spiral Dance and Tornado Dance all fill different purposes http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

@Aim, my Fortefighter does not use daggers or sabers at all, single or twin http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

RadiantLegend
Apr 30, 2007, 02:40 PM
I remember when rising strike was your favorite melee PA. ;o

Shiro_Ryuu
Apr 30, 2007, 03:02 PM
As a fortefighter, my human uses mostly Twin Sabers and Single Daggers. Think he should go Fighgunner when I can get S ranks fo these weaps, but the name Fighgunner doesn't really suit him.

Kaydin
Apr 30, 2007, 03:07 PM
On 2007-04-30 13:02, Shiroryuu wrote:
As a fortefighter, my human uses mostly Twin Sabers and Single Daggers. Think he should go Fighgunner when I can get S ranks fo these weaps, but the name Fighgunner doesn't really suit him.

S Ranks > Class Names.
I personally thing all class names are dumb sounding.
They shoulda gone with normal sounding names, instead of just making up words.

Sinue_v2
Apr 30, 2007, 05:33 PM

It reduces the load time, but it doesn't eliminate it - not by a long shot. At least, not with my PS2. I still have problems in large parties and difficult areas because my weapons will often "unload" themselves or become temporarily useless because of everyone else switching weapons and other things going on. It's not lag... I played with lag last night while downloading my torrent. You can still attack, but the damage won't appear for a few moments. The unloading of weapons from memory actually makes them drop, and gives your character the "unarmed" running animation, similar to when you first equip a weapon while running.

Mystil
Apr 30, 2007, 06:26 PM
Don't restrict yourself to just spears. Spears are good for groups and linear type formations, but they are not like double sabers. You need something more "fluid". I say go with single daggers.

Zorafim
Apr 30, 2007, 06:37 PM
Single daggers are great overall weapons, but they have nowhere near the sheer amount of power that spears have. Any upsides they have is greatly overshadowed by everything spears have.

Besides, A rank daggers look terrible and don't match my outfit.

Rashiid
Apr 30, 2007, 06:46 PM
!?!?

A rank daggers are the only ones worth looks!!

GRM are the worst.
then Tenora.

Yohmei C-B's are ok, and A's are ultimate.

Kaydin
Apr 30, 2007, 06:51 PM
Yohmei A-rank Daggers are pretty cool looking. The S-ranks are even better. ;D

Zorafim
Apr 30, 2007, 06:59 PM
A ranks look just as bad as as GRMs from my perspective. They fold down from the handle, making the handle and the blade two different things. This gives the overall weapon a weak look.
It also looks rather awkward to swing, with no real centrifugal force. It's difficult enough to swing a weapon with an inverted grip, let alone one without any swing behind it.

Now, see, if they looked like inverted GRM A rank sabers or the general form of the serafi daggers, I'd have at least two in my palette. Looks matter that much to me.

The point remains that I like spears, and not even the most badass looking daggers can take precedence over my spear fetish.

Palefire
Apr 30, 2007, 07:37 PM
I say go for it. Spears work magical wonders on large mobs, and they're not bad against most slow-moving, large monsters at all. I've had difficulty using them with monsters like Dilnazen, though others' mileage may vary on that. But if you have a weapon that you prefer and you're more comfortable in your playing style sticking to that, I personally don't see anything wrong/annoying/n00bish about it.

Ravennittes
Apr 30, 2007, 08:29 PM
There may be 'noobgunners' out there, but fortetechers are basically screwed into using rods or wands (with kikami or bow sometimes). We DO get cool techs though... dambarta http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gifrool: .

Alisha
Apr 30, 2007, 09:32 PM
have fun opening boxes. spears wouldnt be my choice for that but thats for personal reasons and pride. anyone can be good with spears.

Shiro_Ryuu
Apr 30, 2007, 10:24 PM
Yeah, for boxes, I prefer swords, sabers, or double sabers. And for looks, I prefer Yohmei on most weapons.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shiroryuu on 2007-04-30 20:31 ]</font>

Kaydin
Apr 30, 2007, 10:25 PM
I just use Gidiga. ;D

Hrith
May 1, 2007, 05:33 AM
On 2007-04-30 12:40, Ragolismine wrote:
I remember when rising strike was your favorite melee PA. ;olol, I still use it on my Fortegunner, to send stuff flying http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Mystil
May 1, 2007, 07:19 AM
On 2007-04-30 16:37, Zorafim wrote:
Single daggers are great overall weapons, but they have nowhere near the sheer amount of power that spears have. Any upsides they have is greatly overshadowed by everything spears have.

Besides, A rank daggers look terrible and don't match my outfit.

Dus Robado is weaker than Dus Daggas. Dus Daggas however was nerfed. If you're a beast or a cast and it appears you're a cast, then yes it's powerful. But any other, and daggas blows ~_~.

I don't know, spears are just SO BORING, people use double sabers cause the PAs are FLASHY for one thing.

Zarbolord
May 1, 2007, 07:27 AM
Wait until the ULT spear PA comes out http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Davot
May 1, 2007, 10:04 AM
ult spear pa rocks

Zorafim
May 1, 2007, 04:13 PM
On 2007-05-01 05:19, Mystil wrote:
Dus Robado is weaker than Dus Daggas. Dus Daggas however was nerfed. If you're a beast or a cast and it appears you're a cast, then yes it's powerful. But any other, and daggas blows ~_~.

I don't know, spears are just SO BORING, people use double sabers cause the PAs are FLASHY for one thing.

Hm, Daggas is still my best PA. I don't know what things are like for the squishy races, but I can't get near that DoT with other weapons.
Yeah, boxes are harder to open, but it's nothing a little locking on won't fix.

Also, spears look badass. Daggas, Robado, and even spearrider McStabalot are all incredible looking PAs from my perspective.

omegapirate2k
May 1, 2007, 04:46 PM
I find your strategy strange and unusual.

And it offends me greatly.

But go for it.

Zorafim
May 1, 2007, 04:50 PM
It's offensive to me, too. But I just can't stand running around for ten seconds every time a new situation occurs just because I need a new weapon. I'm really hoping this is something that can be fixed later on, since there are some weapons which I wish to use, but I don't see anything like that happening.

Mystil
May 1, 2007, 05:09 PM
I actually do not understand your first post. You're talking about the weapon lag where you can't attack anything and it's as if you're unarmed? Or the lag where the PA/tech is blanked out for a few seconds(force types know about this all too well)?

To combat that, just load them all at the beginning of a block.

When I learned double claw ult PA, I had one for that PA and another for the 2ndPA on my palette. 2 Spears of the most used element(both daggas) and 1 'stun' weapon also single claws, and the last slot was my "situational" one lol. Either an Axe or Twin Sabers.

Zorafim
May 1, 2007, 05:42 PM
Weapon lag as in I can't attack anything. I'm running around in the unarmed weapon animation, and my 5 foot weapon is being flailed around as if it were nothing. This can last up to half a minute, from experience.

Loading them at the beginning of the block doesn't help in my case. Even equipping a weapon a few weapons beforehand doesn't help. I could use an AoE weapon to combat a mob of enemies, switch to a single target weapon for the stragglers, and go back to AoE for the next mob, and experience lag each time.

Thanks for trying to help, but I don't think my answer will be as easy as that. Are you on PC, by any chance?
Also, as a random thought, I tried doing force recently on a new character (striking PM mule). I could switch from rod to staff without any trouble minus having to wait for the spells to lead (spells only had to load once per block). I could resta myself before the weapon change sound finished playing, and immediately go back to a nuking staff, all of which combined takes less time than my switching from one melee weapon type to another. Why would casting instruments be so much easier to load than melee weapons? Is this the case with ranged weapons?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zorafim on 2007-05-01 15:51 ]</font>

Mystil
May 1, 2007, 07:02 PM
Forces are still subject to that type of weapon lag. It's justttttt alittle more annoying when it's combined with tech lag. There is sometimes a "third type" of lag where you cast what's loaded, but well nothing happens XD.

I'm on PC btw.

Don't really know what to do about it, and not sure what causes it. One time in a party, everyone at the exact same timee had that "unequipped but not" lag. It was wierd.

As for your question, I'm just taking a wild guess here.

Melee weapons are a lot more detailed than rods and wands. Add on to the fact that data for the PA's have to be loaded too. That could increase loading times. Where as the simple looking rods and wands load faster and the only "slow loading" data is due to the graphics put in to techs. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mystil on 2007-05-01 17:06 ]</font>

Zorafim
May 1, 2007, 07:05 PM
My problem may be just that I'm on the PS2. Our speed isn't nearly as fast as PCers, and so we're stuck with problems like this.

Oh well, I still <3 my cute little spears.
*impales a random rappy*

Alisha
May 2, 2007, 05:50 AM
people need to shut up about dot. dot only matters in games like ffxi and wow where you cant dodge attacks simply by moving your character. im my opion weapons that allow you to do damage while taking a minimum of damage are best. also Zorafim something you might wanna try is cleaning your ps2's lens. i personally i have none of your problems but if its not your lens is suspect it may be because psu is using my ps2 hdd as virtual memory or something.

SStrikerR
May 2, 2007, 05:57 AM
first off, some people are talkin bout not using daggers, and neither do i, they just suck.
second off, some peoople would think im a noobgunner with double sabers, but im not! i only use 2..

Zorafim
May 2, 2007, 11:39 AM
You're that one girl who hasn't got online yet, right? You tend to start worrying about DoT when the monsters you fight start having 10k HP.

Anyway, I'll try cleaning the lense, and see if that does anything. Erm, what does the lense look like again? It's that little round glassy thingy with the red laser, right? >.>

On 2007-05-02 03:50, Alisha wrote:
people need to shut up about dot. dot only matters in games like ffxi and wow where you cant dodge attacks simply by moving your character. im my opion weapons that allow you to do damage while taking a minimum of damage are best. also Zorafim something you might wanna try is cleaning your ps2's lens. i personally i have none of your problems but if its not your lens is suspect it may be because psu is using my ps2 hdd as virtual memory or something.