PDA

View Full Version : They shulda been clever and made them mumble latin when deal

ShinMaruku
May 2, 2007, 01:15 PM
It'd have been glorious or I'm just an insane person who belongs in a nuthouse...
In other things why didn't they make them stuff more vaired than the same old grunts? They should have them scream "RAFOOOIII"!And other DBZness like that....

JAFO22000
May 2, 2007, 01:18 PM
Have you ever played a game where characters repeat the same line over and over again when playing? It get's VERY annoying after the 110th time. Just ask anyone who chose the "laughing" casting voice. The grunts are just fine.

Dj_SkyEpic
May 2, 2007, 01:20 PM
The English version does not say anything but just grunts and moans ><
Maybe if they placed a few more effort into the voice acting for AoI, we may be hearing our characters
say things in the future ;D

Akaimizu
May 2, 2007, 01:21 PM
In the japanese version, characters really do say more stuff. However, that kind of stuff doesn't work well, for western ears, since everything is translated to english. This is only because our ears have been trained, from Anime and Street Fighter, that shouting all your attacks and stuff only really sounds good when spoken in Japanese. English typically sounds goofy because well, over here, it's so taboo to do that kind of stuff. That's simply a case of Japanese goofiness that segwayed itself into some common vernacular. And because it was ONLY the Japanese stuff, that was doing all of that, it's made us believe that they're the only ones capable of doing it. (Actually, it's kind of goofy all around, but hey, people are programmed by Media).

Now I don't mind, myself. But because of this aspect of cultural programming, many will scream bloody murder for any other language following with that idea.

Though I do have a feeling, that if they made up some language that doesn't even exist, people will probably take better to it just because they don't understand it. That equals, they can't tell how bad the voice acting sounds for it. Enough people already have no idea what bad Japanese voice acting sounds like, and that's proven everyday, in many forums.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-05-02 11:25 ]</font>

Paramedic
May 2, 2007, 01:21 PM
I already don't like having to choose one out of 10 voices, almost all of which suck compared to the JP version as well. But now you want them to say even more? I think I'd play this game on mute if they even thought about doing that.

ShinMaruku
May 2, 2007, 01:25 PM
If they gpt stupid kids screaming somthign stupid like Kamehameha. they could have well put in the JP voice set. These publishers are nothing short of pussy.

Akaimizu
May 2, 2007, 01:27 PM
It's not that. It's just that they're trying to pass the environment off as *not being japanese*. That's the general gist of it. If you want to make a place that isn't supposed to mimick a single cultural premise, and that this place is a melting pot; one generally tries to make it speak simply the common tongue of the audience. Not to alienate them. Putting in Japanese may sound good to those J-anime fans around...but it still directly alienates the atmosphere, for other people, as if Phantasy Star's environment is Japanese-first, everything else 2nd. This is very unlike a majority of Japanese-released things in which they are indeed putting you in a Japanese environment.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-05-02 11:29 ]</font>

ShinMaruku
May 2, 2007, 01:29 PM
What they shpuld have done is use JP and west europe and take phrases form there. Would be much better.

Sychosis
May 2, 2007, 01:33 PM
Or we could, you know, not mutter stupid phases every 5 seconds?

Yeah, that sounds good.

Jife_Jifremok
May 2, 2007, 01:34 PM
Cultural programming my ass. It's just because most of it really does sound like shit in English. Some games can make techs/skills sound good in English though, the only examples I can think of right now being Tales of Symphonia/Legendia/Abyss.

ShinMaruku
May 2, 2007, 01:36 PM
On 2007-05-02 11:33, Sychosis wrote:

Yeah, that sounds good.

They loop it cleverly it won't be that bad.
That said French VAs pwn English VAs and hell even JP ones too!

CherryLunar
May 2, 2007, 01:37 PM
Personally, I'm happy with the way the voices are set up currently. The game would take up much more space if you had them announce each technique as they were to use them.

Though... the Japanese version has some pretty awesome voice sets. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

ShinMaruku
May 2, 2007, 01:40 PM
Space being taken up? I got a PS3 it won't matter for me XD

Akaimizu
May 2, 2007, 01:43 PM
On 2007-05-02 11:34, Jife_Jifremok wrote:
Cultural programming my ass. It's just because most of it really does sound like shit in English. Some games can make techs/skills sound good in English though, the only examples I can think of right now being Tales of Symphonia/Legendia/Abyss.

I can go down a great list of plenty of horrible Japanese language speaking used in games, but people love it because they totally don't know the difference. That's what I mean by cultural programming. And the best thing about it, so many don't complain.

Sychosis
May 2, 2007, 01:43 PM
On 2007-05-02 11:36, ShinMaruku wrote:

Yeah, that sounds good.

Of course it would. I get sick of the current "Ha-haa!" "Eyah!" and "WaoOoOoOoo" that we already have. If I have to listen to "RAFOIE!" "DAMDIGA!" or "NOSZONDE!" I'd rip my hair out.

ShinMaruku
May 2, 2007, 01:45 PM
On 2007-05-02 11:43, Sychosis wrote:

Yeah, that sounds good.

Of course it would. I get sick of the current "Ha-haa!" "Eyah!" and "WaoOoOoOoo" that we already have. If I have to listen to "RAFOIE!" "DAMDIGA!" or "NOSZONDE!" I'd rip my hair out.

Latin is nice on the ears. :E
Pus when I mean looping it's more than just screamign the names.

Sychosis
May 2, 2007, 01:48 PM
Silence is nicer on the ears. Especially given the caliber of VA SoA picks up.

And your first post clearly says they would say the name, DBZ style.

Jife_Jifremok
May 2, 2007, 01:52 PM
On 2007-05-02 11:43, Akaimizu wrote:

I can go down a great list of plenty of horrible Japanese language speaking used in games, but people love it because they totally don't know the difference. That's what I mean by cultural programming. And the best thing about it, so many don't complain.

But how many of these games that sounded horrible in Japanese actually sounded better in English? (I mean, besides Tales of Symphonia) Can you go down this list?

ShinMaruku
May 2, 2007, 01:54 PM
On 2007-05-02 11:48, Sychosis wrote:
Silence is nicer on the ears. Especially given the caliber of VA SoA picks up.

And your first post clearly says they would say the name, DBZ style.

Well my scheme would slay SoA before we pick these voices and how they would mix stuff up rather than just the name they you get the run, somtimes you get silence then you get it in latin and so on and so forth.

Akaimizu
May 2, 2007, 02:05 PM
One fantastic game example, actually. Just because it has a heck of a lot of dialogue. More so than quite a few J-RPGs combined.

Shenmue II:

People actually complained about the english dialogue having no idea how bad most of the Japanese ones sounded to people familiar with Japanese voice acting quality.

The original had very low quality, low grade and uninspired voice work for all but maybe two roles, and even then, it was a single scene or two for those two roles that even get any mention. (one of them being Ryo's female trainer who has a decent line or two when she talks about her brother).

On the other hand, the english VOs did a whole lot more to bring expression to the characters. It may not have all come off great, but it certainly came off better than the Japanese originals.

Another thing is the lack of knowledge of Pinyin, which is when Roman letters spell chinese names. People usually don't know that Japanese typically butcher Chinese names because they read the latin letters and speak it with the pronunciations based on their Romanicized alphabet, not with the closer Pinyin interpretation. The english one did that, and was actually more correct.

What I like about this example, is because it hits on almost all aspects of misinterpreted Japanese voice acting quality, on all fronts. Anything else, is usually a subset of this kind of work.

Outlaw Star, as an anime, actually has quite a few voices that are much easier to listen to, in English, than in Japanese. James Hawking is a definite example of why he alone almost makes me want to forget anything about the Japanese version.

As with any medium where many software houses, with less money to put out, offer lesser quality vocals, producing a list for Japan would be as tiring as it would be for producing a Western list of titles which are substandard for voice acting, compared to others.

Thing is, we're talking strictly about the idea of shouting out very repeated quotes in a game with constant battle. Very reminiscent of the idea of English being used in stuff like King of Fighters. I mean, what quality of understandable English voice acting, with such repetition, could even possibly make it sound good? What works for Japan, because they established it, does not necessarily work for everything else. Constant repetition is totally deprogrammed for stuff in English. Yet somehow people can completely stomach Kyo Kusanagi shouting part of a sentence of his flame punch combo "Bodiga" over and over again.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-05-02 12:17 ]</font>

Weeaboolits
May 2, 2007, 02:07 PM
Cultural programming my ass. It's just because most of it really does sound like shit in English. Some games can make techs/skills sound good in English though, the only examples I can think of right now being Tales of Symphonia/Legendia/Abyss.Dreaded Wave!

Anyway, voicing could be fun, but I doubt they could pull it off.

JAFO22000
May 2, 2007, 02:14 PM
[quote]On 2007-05-02 11:36, ShinMaruku wrote:
[quote]On 2007-05-02 11:33, Sychosis wrote:

To be fair, you would probably only hear: "DIGA!", "DIGA!", "DIGA!", "DIGA!" "DIGA!", "DIGA!", "DIGA!", "DIGA!" from most of the forces in this game....

Sychosis
May 2, 2007, 02:18 PM
On 2007-05-02 12:14, JAFO22000 wrote:

To be fair, you would probably only hear: "DIGA!", "DIGA!", "DIGA!", "DIGA!" "DIGA!", "DIGA!", "DIGA!", "DIGA!" from most of the forces in this game....

Good lord, you're right. x_x

Serephim
May 2, 2007, 05:43 PM
On 2007-05-02 11:15, ShinMaruku wrote:
It'd have been glorious or I'm just an insane person who belongs in a nuthouse...
In other things why didn't they make them stuff more vaired than the same old grunts? They should have them scream "RAFOOOIII"!And other DBZness like that....

This would be awesome if they diddnt need wands/staves to cast.

EphekZ
May 2, 2007, 06:18 PM

Yeah, that sounds good.

omegapirate2k
May 2, 2007, 06:20 PM
I want to yell "TWIN ICE SHOT!" everytime I shoot my twin handguns, but no, this game doesn't let me >_>

VanHalen
May 2, 2007, 06:21 PM
On 2007-05-02 12:18, Sychosis wrote:

On 2007-05-02 12:14, JAFO22000 wrote:

Good lord, you're right. x_x

Daaambarta!, Daambarta!, Daambarta!, Daambarta!, Daambarta! *takes a breath* Daambarta!

I think it would be streched out if it was said.

ShinMaruku
May 2, 2007, 06:53 PM
Naw, it's daaaaaaaammmmmbaaaaaarrrtaaaaaa!

Thrash777
May 2, 2007, 07:37 PM
In the JP version, characters say stuff (in Japanese obviously), but they didn't bother translating and voice acting it for us... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Zorafim
May 2, 2007, 08:15 PM
This makes me wonder, how good are the japanese phrases? I can only hear it with a western ear, so I don't know what it actually sounds like.

As for importing that feeling to english, it'd only work if they say it as actual battle yells, as opposed to an actual audible series of words. It can work, but chances are it won't.

Thrash777
May 2, 2007, 08:23 PM
Apparently, the JP phares get repeatitive and annoying quickly... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Itsuki
May 2, 2007, 10:29 PM
On 2007-05-02 16:20, omegapirate2k wrote:
I want to yell "TWIN ICE SHOT!" everytime I shoot my twin handguns, but no, this game doesn't let me >_>

If every time my killer shot worked, my character screamed "BOOM HEADSHOT!!!!" I would be in love.

SandstormX
May 2, 2007, 10:35 PM
Ichimasu! tee hee hee!.....

Weeaboolits
May 2, 2007, 10:36 PM
"Annihilation! Charge! Fire!"

ShinMaruku
May 2, 2007, 11:01 PM
CHAOS CONTROLLLL!
That's megid for ya.....

Thrash777
May 2, 2007, 11:03 PM
"Back to the shadows!"

Weeaboolits
May 2, 2007, 11:27 PM
"Death to all who oppose me!"

Freshellent
May 3, 2007, 02:01 AM
Well. I play 2-D fighters when I'm not playing this usually. I wouldn't care if it was in engrish or jp. Actually I've mentioned before I've wanted an option to put a jp voice set on my character. But that won't happen.

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest if we had fools announce their attacks,honestly it'd make combat a bit better knowing what you teamate is doing in some fashion. It'd be intresting to me to hear and engrish "Sprenda....CRUSH!" This grunting and HOoo ooohohoho. Is sorta bleh. Makes us sound brutish. Plus it be like the kung fu movies I grew up watching anyway.

Yeah I'd like to hear my moves like a 2-D fighter/Kung Fu movie.
I actually get uncomfortable when I DON'T here a sound accompaning a move.

It just be nice to hear something other than a grunt.(Though I gotta say, I'm pretty happy with the voices I picked.) Or at least a decent engrish phrase.

I already mumble Psycho Crusha when I Tornado Dance. The finish on Splendor Crush reminds me of Johnny's "Ensenga".

Shaidar
May 3, 2007, 02:25 AM
I don't mind characters talking, not at all. But I do hate the entire idea of screaming out the name of your attack every single time you use it.

Imagine that your chacter screamed "SPLENDOR CRUSH" or "THIS IS BARTA!" or something along those lines every damn time you touched the PA/tech. Would get annoying fairly fast. Just my two cents.

In a fighting game it works (did someone say Guilty Gear?). But in an online game..not so much. Could work if it was rare or when you did a critical/inflicted a massive status or something. Maybe.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shaidar on 2007-05-03 00:25 ]</font>

Tra
May 3, 2007, 02:32 AM
If my character yelled some retarded phrase in Japanese everytime I cast something, I dunno I probably wouldn't play the game. If they gotta do that, it HAS to be something cool, something that we'd be familiar with; like Itsuki's suggestion with the BOOM HEADSHOT!! or yeah, "THIS IS BARTAA!" that one is good too =)

Nani-chan
May 3, 2007, 02:35 AM
Met some people who actually had a macro for each time they casted in ffxi.. It's incredibly annoying as many people stated.

Freshellent
May 3, 2007, 02:36 AM
On 2007-05-03 00:25, Shaidar wrote:

In a fighting game it works (did someone say Guilty Gear?). But in an online game..not so much. Could work if it was rare or when you did a critical/inflicted a massive status or something. Maybe.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shaidar on 2007-05-03 00:25 ]</font>

41236 HS/Half circle forward, Heavy Slash(in air only.)= "ENSENGA!"

Guilty Gear is my second passion in life.

Maybe it's just me but I swear, I never grow tired of chars announcing their attacks in combat.
I can understand what you all mean though. But I'd be perfectly content with it.

Shiro_Ryuu
May 3, 2007, 07:12 AM
I would love for my character to just have the Japanese voice I tried in the AoI beta cuz I chose a voice for him that was more suitible for him than any of the American voices. It has nothing to do with me being Wapanese or whatever, but some of the Japanese voices do sound great. That said, I'm fine with my character saying nothing but grunts, although him saying "ASORUTO KURASSHU!"(Assault Crush in a Japanese accent) would be pretty sweet.

Nai_Calus
May 3, 2007, 07:25 AM
No thanks, the voices for characters, particularly the male ones, suck enough ass as it is. Seriously, male voice number 5 is the only one that's even remotely tolerable. The others are all kiddie or retarded. And then adding stupid phrases to it? Yeah, I'll pass on that.

Of course you could already cause annoyance without voices. Shortcut phrases from magical girl anime... Use foie, spam 'Fire Soul!', use Resta, spam 'Moon Healing Escalation!', use Ensei-sou on your longbow and spam 'Mars Flame Sniper!' or 'Flare Arrow!' or 'Honoo no ya!'...

Yeah, picture someone doing that, and you've got slightly less annoyance than phrases would be.

It'd be even worse with a support force-type. "Shifta! Shifta! Shifta! Shifta! Goddamn it hold still I'm trying to make you stronger, not kill you! Shifta! Finally! Deba- Oh, screw this, suffer. *Retiers self, spams Dambarta to level it*" XD

ShinMaruku
May 3, 2007, 08:45 AM
I nthink you lot are just relying on a far too simple system and not what I'm talking about.

Sychosis
May 3, 2007, 08:47 AM
Yes, shouting tech names randomly in 1 of 47 languages, 46 of which I don't understand, surely can't be annoying.

AC9breaker
May 3, 2007, 09:29 AM
I don't know, if they could get the battle crys from Soul Calibur I think it would be pretty dope. I don't understand why people would keep it in JP mode and complained that the English VA for Soul Calibur sucked when it was actually pretty freaking sweet. I would totally give my Cast an Astaroth or Knightmare sounding voice. "GOT YOU!" "MASSACRE" "YOU CONCEDED WRETCHED HUMAN!" "BLOOD...DARKNESS... COME UNTO ME!"

Akaimizu
May 3, 2007, 09:37 AM
On 2007-05-03 07:29, AC9breaker wrote:
I don't know, if they could get the battle crys from Soul Calibur I think it would be pretty dope. I don't understand why people would keep it in JP mode and complained that the English VA for Soul Calibur sucked when it was actually pretty freaking sweet. I would totally give my Cast an Astaroth or Knightmare sounding voice. "GOT YOU!" "MASSACRE" "YOU CONCEDED WRETCHED HUMAN!" "BLOOD...DARKNESS... COME UNTO ME!"

For the same reasons stated above. It's my theory that people generally despise the use of English in a fighting game more so than a proper judgement of the *quality* of it. I've heard people balk at plenty of english quotes even when the conviction was actually quite proper. Now don't get me wrong, SEGA definitely has plenty of BAD examples in english.

Burning Rangers and Shining Force 3, as much as I loved them, definitely grabbed some bottom talent for those games. Then you have better examples. (Plenty of supporting roles in Shenmue II US. Sonic and certain Sonic characters) Then you have perhaps the best English SEGA example... (The original "Dr. Robotnik/Eggman" Sonic Adventure--->Sonic Heroes (RIP)) No matter what the Dr. said, he sounded cool saying it. Quite possibly Sega's best english VA ever. He's probably the only one from SEGA I never saw complaints about.

So.............

"Don't get too excited, boys!! Those were the EEEAAASY ONES!!!!!"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-05-03 07:40 ]</font>

ShinMaruku
May 3, 2007, 10:05 AM
On 2007-05-03 06:47, Sychosis wrote:
Yes, shouting tech names randomly in 1 of 47 languages, 46 of which I don't understand, surely can't be annoying.

Still not what I envision.

DraginHikari
May 3, 2007, 12:20 PM
Actually from what I've heard, the JPN voice phrases are rather simple possibly cheesy phrases that if they directly translated would just get annoying... but then again I don't know my JP well enough to translate.

Nai_Calus
May 3, 2007, 01:07 PM
On 2007-05-03 08:05, ShinMaruku wrote:

On 2007-05-03 06:47, Sychosis wrote:

Still not what I envision.

Then please inform us of exactly what you do envision?

ShinMaruku
May 3, 2007, 04:45 PM
What he described mixed with moments of silence the options to hear any shit they say and the standard grunst just randmoized and controllable. If that's too ambitious, it'd fit right with the folks who just created captain whiskers.

Sylpheed
May 3, 2007, 04:48 PM

Yeah, that sounds good.

I can picture people's charecters now constantly shouting the name of the spell they are casting, it would be hell...

Puppet_Papaya
May 3, 2007, 08:16 PM
What he described mixed with moments of silence the options to hear any shit they say and the standard grunst just randmoized and controllable. If that's too ambitious, it'd fit right with the folks who just created captain whiskers.
Makes me wonder if even HE knows what the hell he's talking about. Maybe his brain has ADD , or ADHD, it's hyperactive cousin.

Soul Calibur voices would rock though. "Tricked ya!"

pineapple
May 3, 2007, 09:00 PM
If there was like a 1:100 ratio of tech/PA names to grunts it wouldn't be so annoying.

I mean they could say multiple things and have it somewhat randomized. Seriously, it's not a GBC game. They can fit more than one soundbite in per action.

ShinMaruku
May 3, 2007, 09:59 PM
On 2007-05-03 18:16, Puppet_Papaya wrote:

Makes me wonder if even HE knows what the hell he's talking about. Maybe his brain has ADD , or ADHD, it's hyperactive cousin.

Soul Calibur voices would rock though. "Tricked ya!"

Trust me, I know. For I know everything

Eleina
May 4, 2007, 09:26 AM
*Turns sound off* Add whatever stupid noises you want...

Angelo
May 4, 2007, 09:43 AM
"Goofy!"
"Thanks, pal!"

Weeaboolits
May 4, 2007, 12:36 PM
*gets healed with resta* "Say, thanks!"

SolomonGrundy
May 4, 2007, 01:39 PM
There is a game for Game cube called: Eternal darkness, sanity's requiem that had a deep, Lovecraftian voice that wold repeat the sigils needed for spells every time they were cast.

(which is admittedly far less often than in PSU)

but GODDAMN (I said goddamn!) it sounded cool..

the game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khUzAZ5GVNg
The spells

Puppet_Papaya
May 4, 2007, 08:37 PM
Trust me, I know. For I know everything
That's not an answer at all. That's not even clever or witty. You're just beating around the bush. Likely because you have no answer.

ShinMaruku
May 5, 2007, 11:05 AM
Accodring to your mindset but anway they keep it diverse and make it not too monotonous it woucl work,