PDA

View Full Version : PSU artbook review

Jey
May 2, 2007, 07:01 PM
A few random things I learned flipping through the book o_O;

Dr. Tomrain is a beast. (the Perfect Bible has that too... just never noticed it)
Karen's original name was Anna.
The location of the nanotransformers on Moatoob clothing is on that ubiquitous left armguard.
Magas Maggana is Magashi's SUV and not just some giant obnoxious tank.
Ethan's "Punishment" coat has gloves that resemble Magashi's hands o.O

Overall, the PSU portion of the artbook set felt really short, only 160 pages. The section on partner machines is as long than the part on scenery images, which is ... insufficiently short ._. Only some of the clothing/monsters are depicted (De Ragnus/Ragan, Dimmagolus, and the mystery SEED get a cameo, but no Onmagoug or Zoalgoug)

The weapons section gives a taste of some of the S-rank designs (including some Kubara S-rank joke weapons I didn't know about, like the Ank Pikko[a bink hammer], Cat Claws[with bells], and Robopitch[tennis ball 'nade launcher]), and the Ice Sword[popsicle-shaped longswords]. Quite nice seeing all the weapons depicted in fully drawn details rather than just in-game renders.

No AoI sneak previews, unfortunately.

The Ep3/BB artbook is short, but quite nice and full of illustrations and also weapon designs (the "Flapjack Flapper", lmao) Both come inserted in a simple plastic slipcase.

Overall, I suppose the book served its purpose as a materials book, but it feels rushed and is quite incomplete (oh well, the only materials book that felt complete to me was Okami's). It's priced a little high if you only care about PSU, but I suppose if you like both games it's worth it.

General book information:
Title: The Elements of Phantasy Star Universe/Phantasy Star Online Ep.III Card Revolution & Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst Ep.IV Visual Book
ISBN:978-4757735675
Publisher: Enterbrain
Size:11.8" x 8.4" x 0.7"
Pages: 160(PSU), 80(Ep3/BB) full color
Price: 3000yen

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jey on 2007-05-02 17:01 ]</font>

Arika
May 2, 2007, 07:03 PM
Yay!! I finally got it today!! no picture of unreleased like the PSO Art book time... (that time I see picture of big muscle male newman which now become beast in PSU)
the characters in the draft drawing are far more better than on CG http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

about weapon ,there are a little more than what we used to know, I guess mostly might be event drop?
Ice(cream)sword ,Drill knuckle , Toy hammer (lol bunnygirl http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif) Panda claw(cute meow) new kind of "real hand" series (7*-11*) and 1 unknown black grenade launcher (only weapon that they put ?? on *)
lol from the post time, u might got it at the nearly same time as mine

Arika
May 2, 2007, 07:30 PM
My question is ..What about the Otoku mountain, in the picture it is real mountain, how can it disappear?
btw, moatoob city look high class

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Arika on 2007-05-02 17:31 ]</font>

Zorafim
May 2, 2007, 08:25 PM
Magashi has an SUV?
That's some damn SUV he has there.

Weeaboolits
May 2, 2007, 08:46 PM
Magas is a SUV?! *wants one* It'd be hilarious if it ever did become available, but it'll never happen, it'd be too cheap.

omegapirate2k
May 2, 2007, 08:48 PM
On 2007-05-02 18:46, Ronin_Cooper wrote:
Magas is a SUV?! *wants one* It'd be hilarious if it ever did become available, but it'll never happen, it'd be too cheap.

Just wait until PSU Episode 3: GG non-casts

VanHalen
May 2, 2007, 08:51 PM
Magashi must have paid GRM so far out of his ass for that thing. No wonder he's so hard I wouldn't want people to break it either.

CherryLunar
May 2, 2007, 08:59 PM
On 2007-05-02 17:01, Jey wrote:

Overall, I suppose the book served its purpose as a materials book, but it feels rushed and is quite incomplete (oh well, the only materials book that felt complete to me was Okami's). It's priced a little high if you only care about PSU, but I suppose if you like both games it's worth it.

So it's coffee table material or is it actually worth something? I'd really love to know if it's worth getting now or putting off for a few months. I don't have much money to be spending on anything other than college. @_@

Jey
May 2, 2007, 09:14 PM
Well, I don't remember what they said about Ohtoku Mountain in Story Mode (it's been awhile...) but in the comments about it in the artbook (Neudaiz concept illustrations B&F), they say that it houses a water dragon that creates/guards 'magadama' (kinda comma-shaped jewels), and that the holy families of Neudaiz are able to extract power from these jewels without angering the dragon.

I'm assuming the mountain is made entirely of technic-animated water? The regional section of the artbook is half-concept/half-finalized stuff, so it's probably just part of the concept section.

I'm assuming this thing is totally just concept, unless De Rol Re is the guardian dragon in question.

btw, the big muscled newman guy in the PSO artbook was the concept design for a HUnewm, lol.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jey on 2007-05-02 19:15 ]</font>

Jey
May 2, 2007, 09:18 PM
On 2007-05-02 18:59, CherryLunar wrote:
So it's coffee table material or is it actually worth something? I'd really love to know if it's worth getting now or putting off for a few months. I don't have much money to be spending on anything other than college. @_@

I've been flipping through it a lot today, but one of my little pleasures in life is cracking open a brand new artbook. In my opinion, if you like PSU's designs and artwork at all, it's worth buying. It just has a kinda hefty pricetag considering shipping and whatnot.

Shiro_Ryuu
May 2, 2007, 09:31 PM
Is there anything about Maya in that book? I'm interested in anything about her.

Jey
May 2, 2007, 09:44 PM
I know you do, but there's only one page dedicated to Maya.

I guess random trivia... her 'net stockings' aren't real, just lines printed, and the button holding down her tie is connected to her line armor.

Shiro_Ryuu
May 2, 2007, 10:01 PM
Rly? Wow, thats pretty interesting to know. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Arika
May 3, 2007, 02:15 AM
On 2007-05-02 19:14, Jey wrote:

btw, the big muscled newman guy in the PSO artbook was the concept design for a HUnewm, lol.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jey on 2007-05-02 19:15 ]</font>

Yes, I know in that book say it is Hunewm also, but what I mean is... since there is no Hunewm, They reuse the concept for beast in psu

Arika
May 3, 2007, 10:25 AM
Hey did you noticed about the mistake on the knuckle name?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Arika on 2007-05-03 08:26 ]</font>

Shiro_Ryuu
May 3, 2007, 11:30 AM
Yeah, I think I saw that HUnewm thing, that was just an abomination. I don't mind steroid freaks, but that just took it to the extreme.

haruna
May 3, 2007, 12:18 PM
Holy crum it's out? Funny, Sega Direct said it's shipping 5/10...No matter, I guess it's time to go nuts on Amazon.

I've been putting all my PSU-doodles on hold for this book. $()*#ing 360 version doesn't screencap and I'm sure the illustrations have more detail than low poly models + low res textures...

A2K
May 3, 2007, 01:07 PM
On 2007-05-02 19:14, Jey wrote:
I'm assuming this thing is totally just concept, unless De Rol Re is the guardian dragon in question.

Actually, knowing what we know about the expansion, the dragon is probably Aruteratsugoug.

Grigori
May 3, 2007, 11:32 PM
Can someone post a few sample scans of what the content is like?

Jey
May 4, 2007, 08:16 AM
A2K: Only problem with that is that in the concept? artwork it's a wingless, legless water serpent/dragon swimming inside of the "mountain". The other AoI-Trial dragon isn't really the swimming type, so................ well, I haven't the slightest idea and don't really want to jump to conclusions.

Grigori: Not about to break the binding/cover of a $70 w/ shipping artbook set on my scanner, so you're going to have to settle for your own copy or the sample images provided by Sega (http://www.phantasystaruniverse.jp/news/wis/?mode=view&id=301).