PDA

View Full Version : Abbreviations for Classes

DemonCloak
May 4, 2007, 01:31 PM
I'm sick of confusing FG and fg, for me it's like remembering which one is the anode and which is the cathode. Also, I noticed other people don't care to refer to each one correctly every time anyway, so I've been confused on many occassions by this. It's lame when I have a conversation with someone asking them questions about fighgunner and after 5 minutes I realize they were telling me about fortegunner the whole time.

So, I propose this:
Fighgunner = FiG
Fortegunner = FoG

Ideally, I would like to see a better abbrevation like this end up on people's guides/stat posts, but for now, I'll be happy if this or something like this becomes used by the player community in game. If anyone has better abbrevations (other than telling me to just remember to use my caps correctly) feel free to post them.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DemonCloak on 2007-05-04 11:32 ]</font>

Eleina
May 4, 2007, 01:36 PM
I use :
-FF = fortefighter
-Fig = Fighgunner
-WT = Wartecher
-FG = Fortegunner
-GT = Guntecher
-FT = Fortetecher
-PT = Protranser

And i think ppl understand what i'm saying(at least a hope so...)

chibiLegolas
May 4, 2007, 01:39 PM
On 2007-05-04 11:31, DemonCloak wrote:
So, I propose this:
Fighgunner = FiG
Fortegunner = FoG

lol. Actually, that makes more sense to me.

Personally, I find it insulting that FG = figunner when FORTE classes are the true master/expert of that category. So for figunner to have the cap F instead of fortegunner really ticks me off. The other forte classes have the upper case F. Why the hell did the rules change for fortegunner?
Captial F should represent FORTE, PERIOD!
If anything, for consistancy sake...

Instead, I think the caps just represents the primary class in any of the 2 letter abreviations.
I think.....
O_o

Oh, and why is acrotecher = aT
and acrofighter = aF instead of AT/AF?!
Who made up this rule? It doesn't seem consistant to the other class abbreviations either.
Why did the rules change yet AGAIN for the acro classes?
Please enlighten me...
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif'

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chibiLegolas on 2007-05-04 11:43 ]</font>

DemonCloak
May 4, 2007, 01:43 PM
I like what you do Eleina, however, if I were having a conversation with you, I probably wouldn't realize FG meant fortegunner unless I saw you refering to Fighgunner as FiG first. I've actually referred to Fighgunner as figh in conversation to try and make it clear, and they will still refer to fighgunners as FG. That's why I feel it's important to give fortegunners a new abbreviation as well. I want to make FG a think of the past, lol. Plus, it'll be funny to refer to classes as fogs and figs irl with my friends (yes, psu extends outside of my play time and into my life, it's not an addiction, I can stop whenever I want).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DemonCloak on 2007-05-04 11:46 ]</font>

Packrat
May 4, 2007, 01:48 PM
I've always seen and used "f" for "forte" classes so it would be:

fF = fortefighter
FG = Fighgunner
WT = Wartecher
fG = Fortegunner
GT = Guntecher
fT = Fortetecher
PT = Protranser

For "acro" classes I'd use an "a", so Acrotecher would be aT and Acrofighter would be aF. That convention is the one I've seen the most and is the one I'll continue to use..

Itsuki
May 4, 2007, 01:53 PM
Its the crazy japanese that thought of it. Its just that when they agree on something, it becomes very uniform. Pretty much all japanese websites will list it the same way. And the basic rule, if it needs one, is that only unique prefixes are capitalized. Forte is always lower case f. And Acro is always lower case a (though really, with acro, it doesn't particularly matter). And suffixes are always capitalized. The only real exception to this rule is fortecher. Since its a "forte techer" not a "forte cher".

Japanese tend to use fixed width fonts, so this makes all of their charts and such look very uniform, since all of the abreviations are the same length.

The problem is, the american crowd doesn't have any standard. Some borrow the japanese standard. Others don't. Some make up their own standard. Some try to bastardize PSO standards... etc etc. The reason why its become so confused is because nobody can agree on a way to write it.

Eleina
May 4, 2007, 01:58 PM
It already Pains me to call fighgunners "Figs" (kinda downgrading naming a class like a fruit =/) dont think i'll start calling Fortegunners Fogs http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

DemonCloak
May 4, 2007, 02:05 PM
Lol, I think all the names are retarded, I liked being Hunters, Rangers, and Forces, calling them fruits and fogs, isn't really taking away from an already bad set of class names imo.

In response to Itsuki-chan. Thanks for posting the reasoning behind it, I'm glad to know there was some sensible logic to it. It just unfortunately didn't translate well to our player base and my psu experience. I'm just hoping that we can get pso-world or psupedia or any big site to start using a better set of abbreviations so it will catch on. In terms conversation, it's important for people to be able to freely and easily refer to the same thing without confusion. That is what Sega failed to do here, and it's something I wanna see fixed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DemonCloak on 2007-05-04 12:09 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DemonCloak on 2007-05-04 12:10 ]</font>

Shiro_Ryuu
May 4, 2007, 02:10 PM
I use the same thing as the Japanese official one,
FG = Fighgunner
GT = Guntecher
WT = Wartecher
fF = Fortefighter
fG = Fortegunner
fT = Fortetecher
PT = Protranser
For the Acros, I still use AF and AT for Fighter and Techer, although from now on, I kind of plan on changing that. Besides, there might be another class that starts w/ 'A', so it avoids confusion. I use FiG for Fighgunner only so that the other people understand what I'm saying and don't confuse my character wtih a Fortegunner.

chibiLegolas
May 4, 2007, 02:16 PM
On 2007-05-04 11:53, Itsuki-chan wrote:
Its the crazy japanese that thought of it.

Ah. I see. It's a clash of cultures and their text type.
While in the western culture, I was conditioned to abreviate acronyms by using all caps and I'm sticking to it!
Fortefighter = FF
Fortetecher = FT etc.
Actrotechers = AT
Acrofighters = AF
Fortegunner = FG / FoG
Figunner = fG /FiG

Sorry for not staying into the "uniform" way.
But I guess that's just how our cultures are different.

Eastern culture (in most part) are taught to work together and uniformly to get to their goal.
While Western culture instills self reliance and individual goals.

Guess that's just how it's gonna be.
And further confusion continues....
:/

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chibiLegolas on 2007-05-04 12:20 ]</font>

pineapple
May 4, 2007, 02:32 PM
I propose

Fighgunner = FiG
Guntecher = GuT
Wartecher = WaT
Fortefighter = FrF
Fortegunner = FrG
Fortetecher = FrT
Protranser = PoT
Acrotecher = AcT
Acrofighter = AcF

just to be obnoxious.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: pineapple on 2007-05-04 12:33 ]</font>

Kaydin
May 4, 2007, 02:38 PM
No no no. Ya'll have it all wrong.

Here's the real way:

FF = Fortefighter
FG = Fortegunner
FT = Fortetecher
PT = Protranser
WT = Wartecher
GT = Guntecher
NG = N00bgunner
NT = N00btecher

n_n

Edit: Added N00btecher. Read a few posts down.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kaydin on 2007-05-04 13:05 ]</font>

DemonCloak
May 4, 2007, 02:39 PM
lol, I am seriously using your abbreviation now Kaydin

Eleina
May 4, 2007, 02:59 PM
On 2007-05-04 12:38, Kaydin wrote:
No no no. Ya'll have it all wrong.

Here's the real way:

FF = Fortefighter
FG = Fortegunner
FT = Fortetecher
PT = Protranser
WT = Wartecher
GT = Guntecher
NG = N00bgunner

n_n

What Happened to the NOObtecher class...you can't say they don't exist...

Kaydin
May 4, 2007, 03:04 PM
Ah right, forgot about the N00btecher. XD

Soukosa
May 4, 2007, 04:37 PM
Personally, if the JP community has already established a decent system of abbreviations I don't see why we can't adopt the same thing. In such a case, we'd be able to understand each other's info as well in that regard.

The lower case "f" for fortes and lower case "a" for acros does make quite a bit of sense if you think about it. These are essentially two distinct groups of classes unlike the others. The lower case is to represent this while the others (sans protranser) are made from the names of two classes (just hunter is "fighter", ranger is "gunner", etc).

omegapirate2k
May 4, 2007, 05:29 PM
This topic lacks sion karusu's insult types.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: omegapirate2k on 2007-05-05 10:58 ]</font>

DemonCloak
May 4, 2007, 05:54 PM
Personally, if the JP community has already established a decent system of abbreviations I don't see why we can't adopt the same thing. In such a case, we'd be able to understand each other's info as well in that regard.

Leave that to the people who read off of Japanese sites. It'd be easier for everyone who doesn't to change it. Forgive me for not being in love with Japanese logic for things, I am an American after all.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DemonCloak on 2007-05-04 15:56 ]</font>

-Ryuki-
May 4, 2007, 06:00 PM
On 2007-05-04 12:16, chibiLegolas wrote:

On 2007-05-04 11:53, Itsuki-chan wrote:
Its the crazy japanese that thought of it.

Ah. I see. It's a clash of cultures and their text type.
While in the western culture, I was conditioned to abreviate acronyms by using all caps and I'm sticking to it!
Fortefighter = FF
Fortetecher = FT etc.
Actrotechers = AT
Acrofighters = AF
Fortegunner = FG / FoG
Figunner = fG /FiG

Sorry for not staying into the "uniform" way.
But I guess that's just how our cultures are different.

Eastern culture (in most part) are taught to work together and uniformly to get to their goal.
While Western culture instills self reliance and individual goals.

Guess that's just how it's gonna be.
And further confusion continues....
:/

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chibiLegolas on 2007-05-04 12:20 ]</font>
That's how I see it.

APEXi
May 4, 2007, 06:01 PM
only confusion i can see would be over fG fighgunners, and FG fortegunners. everything else has its own 2 letter abbreviation. i stick to using cap Fs for fortes, since fortes require a level 10 job whereas figh only required a total of 8.

amtalx
May 4, 2007, 06:36 PM
I usually just say my whole class name, haha. Mostly because I'm a Fortegunner and people would sometimes get me confused with a Fighgunner when I used the abbreviation. Since there is still some hate surrounding Fighgunners I choose to play it safe.

ThEoRy
May 4, 2007, 07:53 PM
I just call them Gunners. I guarantee you that every1 will know what u r talking about.

Candor
May 4, 2007, 08:10 PM
i use
fG - Fortegunner
FG - Fighgunner

Doesn't make sense to me to use the other way around since then Fighgunners are the only abbreviation with a lower case letter, that's not uniform at all. And the argument that Forte classes deserve upper case F's just makes no sense no matter how you try to justify it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Candor on 2007-05-04 18:12 ]</font>

Ffuzzy-Logik
May 4, 2007, 11:25 PM
Really, is it that hard to type out the word? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

McLaughlin
May 4, 2007, 11:30 PM
On 2007-05-04 21:25, Ffuzzy-Logik wrote:
Really, is it that hard to type out the word? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

Apparently.

APEXi
May 4, 2007, 11:34 PM
fort-eh.. FG

DemonCloak
May 5, 2007, 01:04 AM
it is hard to type it out, there isn't a whole lot of room in that tiny ass chat box we get

Hrith
May 5, 2007, 07:41 AM
I usually type out the full name, yeah >_>

Starrz uses FI for Fighgunner, it seems to work fine =/

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hrith on 2007-05-06 05:18 ]</font>

Zeota
May 5, 2007, 09:59 AM
I've always used the Japanese conventions myself, as they're perfectly fine as is.

Candor
May 5, 2007, 10:39 AM
Considering i don't think most people spell Fighgunner correctly, or Fortetecher I would have to say it is hard to use the full name

Zer0_ConvoY
May 5, 2007, 11:04 AM
I tend to use FI for figunner and pso terms for forte classes, HU RA FO, just makes it easier for a pso player, espically when giving out a race/class/sex of a character ex: FImar, HUcast, RAbeaseal(or RAbeseal) seems to work fine and makes sense when i talk to new converts from pso, was actually suprised that it didn jt catch since alot of folks played pso first

Nai_Calus
May 5, 2007, 01:37 PM
Yeah, but if you try to do it that way... How the HELL does one pronounce fTnewearl? Or WTnewm? Or FGbeast or what have you? >_>

Then again nobody could agree on how to pronounce 'RA' back in the PSO days, and ST themselves wasn't consistent with 'HU'. XP

I still don't see the point in using lower-case a for the Acrotecher and Acrofighter classes. Then again I don't really see the point in the lower case f for Fortes other than to remove confusion with Fighgunner and Fortegunner. The lowercase just looks stupid to me. And besides, either way you still know what I mean if I refer to an 'AT' instead of an 'aT'. XP

Better-looking idea:

FT: Fortetecher
FG: Fortegunner
FF: Fortefighter
Fg: Fighgunner
Gt: Guntecher
Wt: Wartecher
Pt: Protranser
At: Acrotecher
Af: Acrofighter

Hybrid-type classes have lowercase second letters, pures have uppers. If you want to argue Acros as being pure you can make them AT and AF.

It looks better to western eyes and isn't particularly confusing.

Unfortunately, nobody listens to me.

Zer0, your sig annoys me.

Mikura
May 5, 2007, 02:29 PM
Yeah, to me, capitalizing the Forte jobs makes more sense to me since they're pure jobs, whereas the rest are hybrids. I always felt FG should've meant Fortegunner and sometimes, I still say it that way...although most of the time, I just say the full name since using the abbreviations can still confuse a lot of people. -.-

-Ryuki-
May 5, 2007, 02:30 PM
On 2007-05-05 12:29, Mikura wrote:
Yeah, to me, capitalizing the Forte jobs makes more sense to me since they're pure jobs, whereas the rest are hybrids. I always felt FG should've meant Fortegunner and sometimes, I still say it that way...although most of the time, I just say the full name since using the abbreviations can still confuse a lot of people. -.-

Said with truth and agreement.

Jey
May 5, 2007, 02:53 PM
ƒ is forte in musical notation. Looks like a lowercase f, so that's why I call them fG, fF, fT... I really mean ƒG, ƒF, ƒT, but it's hard to type out those nonstandard characters :P

(whoa, input weirdness)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jey on 2007-05-05 12:54 ]</font>

APEXi
May 5, 2007, 03:17 PM
think i like Fg for fighgunners and FG for fortegunners the most. not a musician

Soukosa
May 5, 2007, 05:08 PM
This thread proves how much the western PSU community fails http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

Zorafim
May 5, 2007, 05:09 PM
How do they do it in PSUjp, anyway?

Packrat
May 5, 2007, 05:56 PM
It was previously posted that they use an "f" for forte-classes (fF = fortefighter, fT = fortetecher, etc) >_>

Sekani
May 5, 2007, 07:11 PM
On 2007-05-05 15:08, Sounomi wrote:
This thread proves how much the western PSU community fails http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

This comment proves how much you fail. God forbid we don't all fall over ourselves to do things the Japanese way, since it's always the best, most logical, and most correct way.

Raysa
May 5, 2007, 07:17 PM
I just type it out.

Soukosa
May 5, 2007, 08:33 PM
Someone ranted to me about this and after taking in what they said I came up with this set of abbreviations based on it that should make everyone happy.

HU - Hunter
RA - Ranger
FO - Force

FF - Fortefighter
FG - Fortegunner
FT - Fortetecher

FI - Fighgunner
WT - Wartecher
GT - Guntecher

PT - Protranser

AF - Acrofighter
AT - Acrotecher

No case superiority non-sense, no music lover influence, no way to mess it up so it gets confused with another class, and it allows for those with shift key phobia to still be understood properly.

Hrith
May 6, 2007, 07:20 AM
Starrz wins =D