PDA

View Full Version : would you recomend PSU to a Die hard PSO fan?

PSOgamer17
May 4, 2007, 04:57 PM
i am just interested to know how many previous PSAO players have switched to PSU... and if online is as much fun as pso offline because offline for psu stinks!

Eleina
May 4, 2007, 04:58 PM
Yes i would recommend it =D

JAFO22000
May 4, 2007, 05:00 PM
Before I recommend it, what are the things that made offline "stink" for you?

I played PSO and have since converted to PSU, but there are many "HARDKORE!" PSO fans who dislike PSU because it's not PSO.

omegapirate2k
May 4, 2007, 05:04 PM
Considering most of us PSU players actually played PSO back in the day, I would reccomend it.

Zorafim
May 4, 2007, 05:07 PM
Erm, just try to remember that it isn't PSO, and you'll be okay. There are many similarities, but just remember that it isn't the same game.

Soukosa
May 4, 2007, 05:13 PM
There isn't any overly broken classes. Weapons are more restricted with class types. There's no mags or stat materials or ways to get a good head start on a new char. There isn't much of rare hunts ATM. Force can actually kick butt. Rangers have a different role. The game overall is harder and it can be rougher to solo. Finding parties can be rough ATM (til the expansion at least).

If you can handle that then you'll likely find PSU to be a nice improvement over PSO.

james_b
May 4, 2007, 05:45 PM
don't bother with psu until the third expansion.

Sinue_v2
May 4, 2007, 05:47 PM
Yes, with several caveats.

DemonCloak
May 4, 2007, 06:04 PM
I'm actually slowly going back to pso through Blue Burst... I don't like the PSU synthing system. I wanna go back to finding items and not pieces of items. Rare items are what made pso great. PSU is fun for the pa's. Unit hunting is ok but... I hate finding a board and being like "well, now I'm half way to the item I want." It'd be good if my pm didn't shit all over my face every time I give it a chance to synth something. On another note, it seems like people are joining blue burst since I joined. I'm not noticing new people in psu (pc anyway), so that's not very inspiring.

Answering the question, I would NOT recommend this game to a DIE HARD pso fan. If I were a maxed out Fonewearl in pso right now, I guarantee I wouldn't be playing this game.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DemonCloak on 2007-05-04 16:06 ]</font>

SStrikerR
May 4, 2007, 06:11 PM
die hard pso fan? no, youll be utterly shocked, and you'll start flaming it like many others.

ShineOnline
May 4, 2007, 06:15 PM
"It'd be good if my pm didn't shit all over my face every time I give it a chance to synth something."

LMAO

amtalx
May 4, 2007, 06:24 PM
Make no mistake. Its not PSO 2 like some people wanted/expected. Its a much different game. Also, The complete lack of hacking/duping (360 at least) makes getting started a lot more difficult because good gear isn't easy to come by since items actually have value. That being said, it is still a good game. I didn't experience the feverish addiction I had to PSO but still lots of fun. Plus, some of your PSO friends may have carried over already.

HandOfThornz
May 4, 2007, 07:50 PM
yes and no!

-soloing is almost impossible on higher rank runs, which holds good items.
-rares take a lot lot longer to drop than pso.
-lots of meseta isnt easy to come by. like doing ult ruins on pso solo offline for a day could max out your cash. now it will take 5years lol
- the loose of customising your characters stats with your mag. meaning now you feed you p.m. to lvl100. then if you soloing (with pm) keeps dieing in missions, meaning you loose overall ranking rewards.
-synthing is very unsatifying. even when you do get a good successful synth, it doesnt feel like an excellent acheivement, just frustration at the synth system.
-the new random item distribution, sometimes can make you feel cheated, but then sometimes extremely happy. at least now you wont get some random dude steal all the items.
-rare enemy hunting is extremely harder. pso - the tp trick was a garantee (offline) to finally give you a rare spawn,within 4 hours. psu - you could run the same mission all week and not find a rare spawn.
- the level cap is disheartining, you could speed to lvl80 in a few weeks with enough time free + right equiptment,and then your not tough enough for soloing and have to wait on the next level cap increase(pso lvl80 probally in 2 days). while you wait for lvl cap increase, your loosing all the exp you could be putting towards leveling up.
- the game is far from fully released online.. it can feel your only playing half the game sometimes.
-wep wise. its still early in the game, but theres not many unique weps available, and if you do get a rare [B] it may fail synth.
-items really are rares again, hacking is at a min.
-leveling wep p.a's gives extra strenghts, and another cap to acheive
-pm's actually can do some good damage+ SUV are better than mags photon blast, but not as unique
- bosses are the same kinda pso thing, but with the advancement of the attack systems, it feels a bit odd, maybe boring, but so was pso boss's at times
-your own room is an excellent idea. a much better idea than just a storage point.
-getting to certain missions can be anoying..pso you could select which ever mission you wanted to play.. not spend x amount of mins getting to it.
-so far theres very few secret items/missions to psu, like pso. example, taking branch of pakupaku,equpit with you to ruins in one of the quest, then under the waterfall the wep transfroms to striker of choa. also the gallons shop photon drop exchange mission(i guess this will be the shop for rent in the guardian coloney one day!?)
-team play is a huge part of playing on psu
-lobby chat is still the same, some wierd dude spamming some wierd chat line! lol
-theres is many missions all over the place, many more than pso. but they dont all feel unique, like pso

so really psu is gona be an awesome game in 1 or 2 years time,( like dreamcast pso version 1 to version 2) its an awesome idea of a game at the mo. with so many things it could develop with, but with psu at the mo. it still feels a little like we are still in a beta test... AOI will drag psu up to its full glory it will deserve!
if your a hardcore fan of pso..wait till the expansion then join. but be ready for a gameplay change!

ThEoRy
May 4, 2007, 07:56 PM
yes. I would as well.

AeraLure
May 4, 2007, 08:41 PM
I wouldnt recommend it unless you're open to trying something new. I dont enjoy it anywhere near as much as PSO, but given the fact that PSO is finished, there's not much choice but to move into PSU. There are some great customization options in PSU, some gameplay differences that are both good and bad, but the level design and graphical style is quite a bit less inspiring and creative, and the synthing system is pretty much love it or hate it. Give it a shot. I had fun with it for a while. If you go into it not expecting or hoping for a sequel to PSO you will likely be fine with it.

Nani-chan
May 4, 2007, 08:55 PM
No, they'd hate it and then blame me for it.

SuperChoco
May 4, 2007, 11:08 PM
PSU is a good game. Just don't play offline.
On the other hand, the servers were just shut down, which hurts. At least it has offline multi.

SolomonGrundy
May 4, 2007, 11:33 PM
The only thing psu has going against it is how difficult it is just starting out. there is little logical progression, and after doing the tutorial, and linear line, one might be inclinded to try the dragon. Even with a party of 3-4 - an attempt on the dragon under level 10 is suicide.

Follisimo
May 5, 2007, 01:22 AM
I'd tell them to wait for a private server to come out cause Sega is pathetic.

Cz
May 5, 2007, 01:31 AM
i beat offline of PSU and i though it was good imo. Of course, no multiplayer offline really suck. Online is very decent at the moment for me cause i have all 4 of my characters to high level. I quitted PSOBB for sometime ago and PSU is reviving my lost excitement i once had with PSOBB. I can say that PSU will take away most of your time if you decide to play. I recommend you play PSU online. By the time you get to level 80, there should be much more contents available by then.

Tigerram
May 5, 2007, 01:52 AM
I think recommending PSU to my friends would be okay. Especially if they really like it, and want to play all the time, especially if you always play together with them. I really like the game, and probably would let them come over to my house and watch me play it, to get an idea if they indeed could get into it, so that they aren't guessing how the game is.

I agree with many, once the expansion comes out, this version should be up to par on a lot of things hopefully, with indeed hoping the expansion can bring in more players, and try to keep them playing.

Maskim
May 5, 2007, 01:55 AM
On 2007-05-04 21:33, SolomonGrundy wrote:
The only thing psu has going against it is how difficult it is just starting out. there is little logical progression, and after doing the tutorial, and linear line, one might be inclinded to try the dragon. Even with a party of 3-4 - an attempt on the dragon under level 10 is suicide.

Pfft, everyone says that. Plains Overlord C de ragan is easily soloable at lvl 8, you just have to be able to dodge his very slow and deliberate attacks.

As to the original poster's question, yes, I would suggest it. PSO was a great game, through all its incarnations. However, its time has passed, and has been for a while. PSU, although different, improves upon the gameplay of PSO in every aspect. The only thing I don't care for in PSU is the synthing/grinding system, but it's a really small price to pay for everything being utterly improved.

Ether
May 5, 2007, 02:04 AM
Advantages PSU has: Better combat at its core

Advantages PSO has: Everything else

pineapple
May 5, 2007, 02:28 AM
I second ether's opinion, but that's mostly just true for melee.

AweOfShe
May 5, 2007, 02:41 AM
On 2007-05-04 23:22, Follisimo wrote:
I'd tell them to wait for a private server to come out cause Sega is pathetic.

Sorta like 70% of the game's community. Go figure. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

---
And to the OP. I'd only recommend it if you AREN'T expecting the game (as it is right now) to be like the end product of PSO. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

In fact, you might be better off waiting for the expansion. >.>

Ithildin
May 5, 2007, 02:45 AM
I'd recommend it... hey give it a go... lets not turn this into another pso vs psu thread tho peeps! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Alamar
May 5, 2007, 04:42 AM
like its been said very good advice this is not PSO never will be. My suggestion...Wait for the expansion.

imfanboy
May 5, 2007, 05:13 AM
I like it.

PSO is unplayable now for me, despite my (admittedly) badass characters and gear.

The combat system is more fluid and dynamic, with a lot more variety and customizibility.

Forces can actually DO damage with their Technics - instead of monsters being resistant to all but the one Technic that deals 'em damage, opposing-element Technics get a damage boost. Combine that with a Newman's teching power and...

There are no HUGELY useless weapons or Technics, as there were in PSO. If you like the look of twin claws or single claws, you actually CAN deal damage with them, whereas the only reason to use Heart of Poumn in Ult was if you wanted to get your ass kicked.

The money problem, as annoying as it may be, does give you a reason to play the game other than just to get levels.

The new Job system means that even if you're bored to death of playing John Q. Newman as a hard-core Technic user, but don't want to just erase him 'cause he looks good, you can swap jobs for him. And despite what people say, there are no TRUTHFULLY gimped class/race jobs, unlike some other games I could mention - which lends an incredible amount of versatility.

I actually enjoyed the offline story; while it wasn't deep, it isn't nearly as sad and pathetic as people make it out to be. Once you get to part 4 or 5 and the VAs start to find their characters, it's quite decent. Also, the offline story is extended further in an online story mode. I can see where it's going, and I'm at least vaguely interested.

While some skills do have a serious grinding issue (Anga Dugrega, Megid/Barta/Zonde, and the rifle bullets come to mind), you can get by just fine without those skills that require the fanatic grinding to become useful. Well, fortegunners do kinda need a high-powered rifle skill... but you could just not play a fortegunner! XD

I must admit that I both like and dislike synthing and grinding. On the one hand, it's a lot of fun to gamble; on the other hand, it's pretty goddamned shitty to lose an S-rank you've spent months (maybe) trying to find, or break a weapon that you love to use. It does sound like the expansion will fix my problems with this, though.

Because of the sheer variety of clothes, cast parts, height/face/weight/hair/hats/whatever, your character will NEVER look like another character unless you decide to do so - or unless some weird coincidence comes up. I remember one time I traipsed online in PSO with my HUcaseal and found THREE HUcaseals who looked just like her, with different heights, in my usual lobby.

Also, weapons, items, clothes and cast parts aren't locked on a character; you can swap stuff back and forth easily between your characters... or, if you're creating a character and don't like the way he looks with the expensive new cast arms you just bought, you can stash the cast arms in your common box, recreate him, and keep trying until you get a look you DO like.

The game, IMHO, offers to both grind-fanatics and casual players. While it does have some of the same problems other MMOs have with players who can play all the time (I've got maybe 1500 hours logged, 4 characters over 60th level, a full set of 20%+ weapons for all the elements, 3 rare units, and I'm working on getting a full set of armor in good %s), that doesn't mean my buddy who can only sign in once or twice a week is horribly outclassed by what I can dish out. Point of fact, I'll lend out my stuff to my friends who can't play like I can, just to make everyone's game easier.

ummm... sorry, I kinda rambled on. But yeah, it's fun. Might as well sign on now and level a character so you can really enjoy the expansion, ya know? XD The main thing to remember is that right now we only have the equivalent of "Very Hard", and we don't REALLY know what comes in Ultimate.... yet.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: imfanboy on 2007-05-05 03:14 ]</font>

Akaimizu
May 5, 2007, 08:14 AM
I'm one of those people who like both, but I tend to find the overall combat more enjoyable in PSU. PSO Episode 2 did have some butt kicking environments, though. It also had one really cool element. Stacking Photon Blasts. A 4 Photon Blast Combo, in which the multipliers kicked in, was an incredible Boss killer, in its day. Last time I did that, in a party, was on the Temple Boss (The twin Techno electro dragons). Xbox version, local split-screen game.

I also kind of like the system of *Building* your techs better than *finding* them. It kind of helps you specialize better by choice than by fortune. I also like the character model creator and outfit choices better. That is, I feel things are more varied. PSO really had hardly any real *choices* of clothes to pick. More like Colors to pick of the same overall beast. While I'm sure quite a few people love their PSO clothing, I'm already sampling outfits that I personally never saw better with PSU. Tynselle's current outfit is currently my favorite online-RPG outfit I've ever had a character wear.

Back in PSO, the main thing that made me look different was that (it was still a time when nobody played dark-sknned characters, particularly on the Dreamcast version). Playing a Dark-skinned newman male, with glasses, was how I actually was *original* looking. I still could've easily dissappeared into the Masses. The bad thing is, only 1 hair style came with the glasses. You didn't even have the variety of having a choice of hairstyles with glasses, then.

It's funnier that the male cue (Or small ponytail) had much more secondary motion than the longer female ponytail. The female's longer hair was more static, yet the male's hair extension swung back and forth like a horsetail, when running.

As far as diehard PSO fans, that's a tricky one. Any of them that's willing to accept *CHANGE* will probably take to it best. Particularly if they have experience in 3d action adventure games. Those who are *very* into the precise PSO ways will balk at it. Kind of like the crowd of Final Fantasy Players where they saw FFXII come out. The verdict was split because for the first time (since Final Fantasy IV), they actually went and changed the overall battle system for the single-player game. That is, instead of just some new gimmick used for character building, off combat. Of course, lot of good new possibilities come from change, but as with pretty much every single license that changes stuff well enough, you'll have people who don't stand for it. Not everybody is happy with change. A lot of people do get attached to very specific things, even if it means that those same things hinder the game's ability to change as much.

So tread lightly. If you actually see significant engine changes for any game that ever calls itself a sequel. If you like it, make a recommendation that it's quite good, but give them a good warning that plenty of things are different now. If they ask about specifics, make sure you give them a direct answer. You may want to also mention what is added and is directly removed as well. That way they feel they're making their own decisions on whether they want to try it. I do this with every single followup-game, that does the same.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2007-05-05 06:34 ]</font>

Parn
May 5, 2007, 09:41 AM
http://synbios.net/games/PSU/screenshots/retail/0015.jpg
Took 55 minutes, but I won! We did this back at PSU's launch in Japan.

Was totally worth it, if only for bragging rights!

Arika
May 5, 2007, 10:11 AM
I would say that PSU is a lot better than PSO!
what make PSO so good that many ppl want PSU to be same as PSO?
I think it is only first impression on PSO.(it is very cool at start)
PSO is too short, too easy to LV at first and suddenly become very hard after 100 and the system is really unbalance. there are some job better than other. and only has 8-10 area to play(even it is 5 year already).
PSU in next 5 year may have more than 100 area.

Akaimizu
May 5, 2007, 10:29 AM
On 2007-05-05 07:41, Parn wrote:

Took 55 minutes, but I won! We did this back at PSU's launch in Japan.

Was totally worth it, if only for bragging rights!

The Parn stands alone, eh? Definitely had the look of a tough battle. At a level that low, every beginnger class has those kind of issues with De Ragan. That's actually something I do like.

Elijah
May 5, 2007, 10:34 AM
Well, I left PSO because all my friends did and it wasn't worth the monthly fee without them. But let me explain the pros and cons as I understand them.

PSO has a lot of things going for it. For one, it has an overwhelming sense of style present in its graphic style, weapons, environments, (admittedly cheesy) music, character designs and story presentation. PSU tries to echo PSO's style in a more realistic manner- but falls a bit flat. By comparison, PSU feels much more like a generic MMORPG than PSO ever did.

However, wonderful though PSO is, it is still a flawed game. The gameplay in some respects, is quite broken. PSU addresses many issues including the irrational camera and the unreliable targeting system of PSO.

Some changes are bittersweet and are a matter of taste and preference. A huge amount of emphasis has been taken off of Items in PSU and instead placed on Skill-building. This is good because it gives you more long term goals. One of my friends quit PSO because after finding the Daylight Scar (in BB Ep IV), there were only marginally better weapons available with only terribly hopeless odds. (DS was far too easy to find) He felt like he didn't have anything substantial to shoot for and got bored with the game. (He was a HUcast so he didn't have a whole lot going on in terms of attack variety).

But at the same time, hunting for those little red item boxes (which look much cooler than PSU's red items) was a lot of fun. The thrill of the hunt, those were the days.

PSU has a deeper gameplay system. There are more Technic/ques available than in PSO. They're leveled up through use rather than through disks. Weapons now have skills that can be assigned to them and improved (like Technics are assigned to wands/rods in this game).

Thing is, I really miss my character and some of the simpler aspects of PSO's gameplay. I had a FOmar in Blue Burst who used a Glide Divine, Striker of Chao (for technique casting), Plantain Huge Fan, Grass-Assassin's Sabers (for melee). (I reeeallly liked my Plantain Huge Fan) In PSU I can't use Techs unless I have a rod equipped which is a little bit of a pain, and I can only use up to four techs at a time without switching weapons (while in PSO I could have any weapon equipped and had the tech shortcut window) For someone with my style of playing, this new system has its drawbacks. Leveling up is also extremely difficult in this game. (both base level, class level, and skill/tech level)

So, I miss PSO. But I'm still intrigued by much of what PSU has to offer (including some really beautiful environments). So I'm sticking around.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Elijah on 2007-05-05 08:38 ]</font>

foamcup
May 5, 2007, 10:44 AM
No, oh god no. I wouldn't even recommend this game to someone I hate.