PDA

View Full Version : Why no effects?

Ethan-Waber
May 4, 2007, 06:44 PM
I think of photon weapons as lightsabers type things. That said, lightsabers cut through people and leave burns / blood. Why is there no blood/gore/cuts when you attack a monster.

If you could slash a monster to leave a nice gash across the monsters chest or head, that would make the game so much funner. If you could see blood spirt from the monster as you slash him, that would be nice as well. If you could (every once in a while) get a 1-hit KO by slashing off a monsters head, that would be nice to see.

More gore/graphics makes all games better.

Discuss what types of blood/gore/graphics you would like to see.

amtalx
May 4, 2007, 06:45 PM
Doesn't change the gameplay. Also adding things like that changes the rating making it less palatable to parents buying it for their kids. Leave the gore for FPS and Horror games.

Ithildin
May 4, 2007, 06:51 PM
Err... cos they would have to put a higher rating on the game... thus limiting the amount of ppl they could sell the game too... thus limiting the amount of money they make... ffs

Sylpheed
May 4, 2007, 06:52 PM
On 2007-05-04 16:44, Ethan-Waber wrote:
I think of photon weapons as lightsabers type things. That said, lightsabers cut through people and leave burns / blood. Why is there no blood/gore/cuts when you attack a monster.

If you could slash a monster to leave a nice gash across the monsters chest or head, that would make the game so much funner. If you could see blood spirt from the monster as you slash him, that would be nice as well. If you could (every once in a while) get a 1-hit KO by slashing off a monsters head, that would be nice to see.

That's the dumbest idea ive everheard for a PS game have you EVER actually played a Phantasy Star game for more than 5 mins?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sylpheed on 2007-05-04 16:53 ]</font>

ThEoRy
May 4, 2007, 07:38 PM
On 2007-05-04 16:52, Sylpheed wrote:

That's the dumbest idea ive everheard for a PS game have you EVER actually played a Phantasy Star game for more than 5 mins?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sylpheed on 2007-05-04 16:53 ]</font>

I honestly don't think he has.

On the one hand, I must admit, I did like the gallons and gallons of purple biomonster blood on the floors of the ruins during endless nightmare4 quest. On the other, it wasn't spraying all over the place as I was hacking and slashing. only a pool of fluids on the floor after a monsters defeat.

Hey Ethan, if you like slashy gore so much, why don't you go play Sword of Berserk on the Dreamcast instead? At the time of release it was the bloodiest game of all time. Not to mention one of the coolest.

Kaydin
May 4, 2007, 07:43 PM
MMOs have always focused more on gameplay than graphics. Complex gameplay, simple graphics.
Gameplay > Graphics.

HUnewearl_Meira
May 4, 2007, 07:46 PM

I think that the biggest distinction to make is that Photon weapons are not light sabers, and therefore, they don't behave like light sabers.

In PSU, Photons are what make up a person's life energy. Given that, my theory is that the Photon weapons don't really act against the body, but on the target's Photons. Therefore, you can kill something, sure, but without really damaging its physical body. The only time you really get physical damage is when there's a physical portion of the weapon that hits the target, as well; such as with many Tenora Works and high-end GRM weapons.

landman
May 4, 2007, 07:55 PM
On 2007-05-04 17:46, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:

I think that the biggest distinction to make is that Photon weapons are not light sabers, and therefore, they don't behave like light sabers.

In PSU, Photons are what make up a person's life energy. Given that, my theory is that the Photon weapons don't really act against the body, but on the target's Photons. Therefore, you can kill something, sure, but without really damaging its physical body. The only time you really get physical damage is when there's a physical portion of the weapon that hits the target, as well; such as with many Tenora Works and high-end GRM weapons.

Tell this to Magashi http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

ThEoRy
May 4, 2007, 07:58 PM
On 2007-05-04 17:46, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:

But the weapons on PSO were also powered by photons, and as I've said earlier, gallons and gallons of blood on the floor...

Serephim
May 4, 2007, 08:24 PM

lmfao this is running on a PS2.

I hope you dont expect to see flesh tear and blood spill in real time physics on a ps2, do you?

Serephim
May 4, 2007, 08:27 PM
Tell this to Magashi http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

LOL WIN

Yeah, please do tell it to him.

He'll slap you in the face and and reveal his leaky spurting photon burned gashes on his body (the same kind a lightsaber would leave, and the same kind this guy is asking for.)

The only reason this game doesnt have that is :

a) its running on ps2

b) it would get like an M rating

c) its unnessacary.

But yeah, i would expect these photon weapons to act EXACTLY like lightsabers.

It just would be no fun to run around doing 912,302 to every monster and boss on the game and watch their limbs fall off after one slash.

Yes, they physically destroy the body. Their SABERS, not Keyblades >_>; Just look how ethan completely PWNED magashi.

However, i would LOVE to play agame like that on wii ;D

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Serephim on 2007-05-04 18:29 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Serephim on 2007-05-04 18:30 ]</font>

Umi_Ryu
May 4, 2007, 08:42 PM
Actually blood should remain and accumulate on ground so that at the end of a mission we fight the boss floundering in blood up to our knees (the lolis and little boys would have drawn by this time) and when we kill the boss a flood of blood will bring us in the lobby ...

Ok, I admit it was not fun at all. I liked how it was in PSO, with the fluid/blood mark that served as a corpse and I don't think we need more than that for "gore" effect.
Also, I don't think a light saber would spill much blood, it would be like a really high degree burn so, it would somehow "cook" the inside of the wounds so, even with a cut down limb I don't think it would feel natural to have floods of blood.
Also, PSU is much more "light" than PSO, speaking about atmoshpere, the level desing, monster design or even the story is less dark than PSO. I don't know if the "blood spills" for marking dead monsters would work as good. But rappies should let a hole in the ground when they escape/die, it would be a good graphical addition and should not be overwhelming for PS2 or low capacity PC.

Cz
May 5, 2007, 01:39 AM
i think they pop and there are different kind of color blood paint on the ground when you beat them. I am fine with the game as it is. What disturb me is when a character die, like NPC or your character, their eyes never close...>.> Wish they do something about that...lol.

Maskim
May 5, 2007, 02:03 AM

Ok, so you think of the photon weapons kind of like light sabers, right? This is good, because it's exactly what they are. Photons are literally light, so, good. In Star Wars, you didn't get blood from light sabers. Why? Because the intense heat of the 'blade' cauterized the wounds. Luke didn't gush blood when his pops sliced his hand off. It leaves a melted burny mark. So, in PSO, although there was blood everywhere, it SHOULD have only been there when using the cool oldskool non photon weapons you could get, like sange & yasha, and such.

So, if the logic of Star Wars, which HEAVILY influences Phantasy Star, dictates photons don't leave blood, then we're sitting pretty. You'll have to ask for some guns that drop rounds instead of photons if you want some blood pools.

AweOfShe
May 5, 2007, 02:51 AM
I think adding excessive gore would be kinda silly and pointless. Though, something like a blood puddle, like in (O-ho, sorry for this! XD) PSO would suffice for me. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

ShadowDragon28
May 5, 2007, 03:28 AM
Sorry, PSU is not God of War or GoWII...

Actually, since the SEED is a virus-like life form, it also seems to be able to transform other life forms it infects (i.e. transmutates biological life forms). That transformation process alters the creature, and they like the "pure" SEED creatures lack a certain something.
This "lack of" something results in the creature's body to become a gas that disperses or to vanish completely.

My theory:

Perhaps it's natural "Aether"/Quintessence"/Prana"/"Odic Force" is missing from the SEED life forms and infected creatures' bodies?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aether_%28classical_element%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odic_force

So when a pure SEED life-form or an infected creature is killed/dies it either sublimates (when matter changes from a solid into a gas), or vanishes from exsistance due to having either very little Aether/Prana, or none at all.

Basically, when a livng being or object has little to no Aether (which is a vital component to something even *existing*) can result to unusual affects when that life-form dies or is severely damaged in some way.

When the creatures are killed or dies, their bodies don't keep their physical form. It will either sublimates (which happens when there's a little bit of "Aether" in it's body),
OR the creatures' body completely disappears from existance. (which happens when there's absolutely *no* Aether/Quintessence in it's body.)

This is why there is no blood spurting from PSU's creatures, and why some go up in a poof of gas or slowly vanish once dead. SEED eat up the "real Aether" and leaves in it's polace fake i.e. "Psuedo-Aether."

The Psuedo-Aether of the SEED does not allow for the creatures' corpse to "hold together" for any kind of natural decay. The Psuedo-Aether is mostly invisible, and it pours out a SEED/or SEED infected creature's wounds.

When it falls down dead, no-more Psuedo-Aether results in sublimation OR vanishing of the vicious creature!

It must be noted that ordinary (uninfected)objects
(item boxes that the creature swallowed),
and creature body parts that had become carbonized or petrified don't sublimate or vanish.
(that's why De Ragan tails stored in item units can still be found!)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShadowDragon28 on 2007-05-05 01:34 ]</font>

Eleina
May 5, 2007, 09:25 AM
0_o ok that was complicated...

I say there are no effects coz they didn't want to go through the hassle of programming them...

AlphaDragoon
May 5, 2007, 01:49 PM
Uh....no. Just no.

Photon = lightsaber but lightsabers DON'T LEAVE BLOOD. They really shouldn't have had blood pools in PSO, either.

Zorafim
May 5, 2007, 02:16 PM
I think the answer is "it's a videogame". There's no reason for blood or wounds to appear on enemies or characters. Doing so, in the first place, would require a large amount of unnecessary work on Sega's part. There's also the fact that it's not needed, since the fun is in actually killing the monsters instead of bathing in their blood like a brainless savage.

Though I have to admit, the enemies randomly exploding into a tub of green blood which promptly disappears entertains me to no end.

Mayu
May 5, 2007, 02:30 PM
Sega is lazy, everyone knows this http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Faendryl
May 5, 2007, 03:05 PM

No, no it doesn't.

pionear
May 5, 2007, 03:12 PM
Just go play Gears of War or Resident Evil.

ANd the new Conan MMO is supposed to be Graphic as well.

xennec
May 5, 2007, 11:02 PM
Even if there was gore, it wouldn't make sense for every attack.

I doubt that pummeling something with ice(barta) or darkness(megid) is going to make it bleed.

Garanz-Baranz
May 6, 2007, 12:01 AM
Photon is pure light, it is not solid, nor does it produce heat beyond Fire or Lightning Photons... Photon genrally can be considered a spiritual power, seeing as the common sight of a soul is an embodyment of pure light. That really can give base to the fact that they die without a mortal wound...

A lightsaber is not nessesarally a Photon Saber, yes it looks like it, but really... Lightsabers must use a form of Plasma, high heat ionized gasses of immense energy, enough to produce light. It's high heat gives it a 'melt-slash' effect...

Anywho, Sega's intenstion is a real-time action/stratagy MMORPG for PSO/U, not some gore-a-fied collection of bloody limbless beast and so on...

The only complaint I have on seg for now is that they did not even SPONSOR this game on television[at ALL] or internet[barely did it...] and so our populations suffer dearly... expecially on PS2/PC...

Serephim
May 6, 2007, 12:02 AM
Lightsabers diddnt leave bleeding wounds because of how badly they cooked the flesh.

So basically, it was cutting and sealing the wound at the same time.

Which is also why in PSO, the photon saber sounds made more "HUMM" sounds, and blades like Sange and Yasha made more "GLUSH" sounds.

ShinMaruku
May 6, 2007, 12:22 AM
Becuase the perv masters are not behind this. They could have many things but that's beyond ST's scope.

ChaotistRazor
May 6, 2007, 12:48 AM
In Star Wars, you didn't get blood from light sabers.

Well, for the most part, this is true. But, in Star Wars: A New Hope, when Obi-Wan cuts that creature's arm off in the Cantina, there's actually a pretty decent amount of blood. 4:01 of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BVlARaJM74

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/ChaotistRazor/blood.jpg

Yeah, I know it's a nitpick. So sue me. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

natewifi
May 6, 2007, 01:05 AM
Woah wait a second, if I can recall, when you hit enemies in PSO green/mush mush would fly out every time you hit an enemy, then when they died purple, and red guts flowed out of the enemy once they're dead.

natewifi
May 6, 2007, 01:14 AM
On 2007-05-05 01:28, ShadowDragon28 wrote:
Sorry, PSU is not God of War or GoWII...

Actually, since the SEED is a virus-like life form, it also seems to be able to transform other life forms it infects (i.e. transmutates biological life forms). That transformation process alters the creature, and they like the "pure" SEED creatures lack a certain something.
This "lack of" something results in the creature's body to become a gas that disperses or to vanish completely.

My theory:

Perhaps it's natural "Aether"/Quintessence"/Prana"/"Odic Force" is missing from the SEED life forms and infected creatures' bodies?

So when a pure SEED life-form or an infected creature is killed/dies it either sublimates (when matter changes from a solid into a gas), or vanishes from exsistance due to having either very little Aether/Prana, or none at all.

Basically, when a livng being or object has little to no Aether (which is a vital component to something even *existing*) can result to unusual affects when that life-form dies or is severely damaged in some way.

When the creatures are killed or dies, their bodies don't keep their physical form. It will either sublimates (which happens when there's a little bit of "Aether" in it's body),
OR the creatures' body completely disappears from existance. (which happens when there's absolutely *no* Aether/Quintessence in it's body.)

This is why there is no blood spurting from PSU's creatures, and why some go up in a poof of gas or slowly vanish once dead. SEED eat up the "real Aether" and leaves in it's polace fake i.e. "Psuedo-Aether."

The Psuedo-Aether of the SEED does not allow for the creatures' corpse to "hold together" for any kind of natural decay. The Psuedo-Aether is mostly invisible, and it pours out a SEED/or SEED infected creature's wounds.

When it falls down dead, no-more Psuedo-Aether results in sublimation OR vanishing of the vicious creature!

It must be noted that ordinary (uninfected)objects
(item boxes that the creature swallowed),
and creature body parts that had become carbonized or petrified don't sublimate or vanish.
(that's why De Ragan tails stored in item units can still be found!)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShadowDragon28 on 2007-05-05 01:34 ]</font>
Woah, wtf are you talking about? Lol your crazy... O.O

batokage
May 6, 2007, 02:57 AM
hmm.... adding a whole set of blood and gore would ruin PSU online for me. It wouldn't be as fun anymore.

BUT, if say some one decided to release a spin off which was all offline (kinda along the lines of Conker's Bad Fur Day), I wouldn't mind giving it a try. It could be fun in a different way. I won't deny that at least. I mean almost everyone raves about how good god of war is.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: batokage on 2007-05-06 01:05 ]</font>

ShadowDragon28
May 6, 2007, 03:18 AM
Why don't you do a little research on the internet before calling someone "crazy".. Did you even bother to read anything in those links?

Aether and Odic Force from esoteric philosohpy & spirituality:

Here's some new ones to read:

About scientific theories/descriptions of Dark Matter and Dark Energy:

http://www.eclipse.net/~cmmiller/DM/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_energy

About Aether and related theories:
http://www.16pi2.com/
http://www.mountainman.com.au/aetherqr.htm

About "Prana":

http://home.xtra.co.nz/hosts/Wingmakers/Prana%20Energy.html

Now, if somehow an object had either it's electrons, protons, or other vital component(s) that gave that object "reality" was removed. Would that object continue to exist?
My idea is that it wouldn't. Nothing "crazy" about it at all; it's just an idea.

Weeaboolits
May 6, 2007, 03:35 AM
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif If they did that I wouldn't like it as much anymore, I don't like gratuitous meaningless gore, it's stupid, one of the reasons I don't like Mortal Kombat.

Schubalts
May 6, 2007, 06:45 AM
2Moons will have gore, like Conan. Go wait a few months and play those.