PDA

View Full Version : Platform query.

Palle
May 6, 2007, 04:02 PM
i've used the boards as much as i could to learn the game...i think i'm ready to sign up.

however, with all the talk of th PC/PS2 server population problems et cetera, maybe its a bad idea to join at this time...

your opinions would be appreciated...join PC/PS2 now...join PC/PS2 after AoI release...fork out $270 now to join X360...fork out $270 to join X360 after AoI release...stick with PSO?

Ffuzzy-Logik
May 6, 2007, 04:04 PM
If you don't have a 360, don't buy one for this game alone, the PC/PS2 community is fine. While it hasn't grown in the past months, it hasn't shrunk either. And you might as well get started now, otherwise you'll be playing catchup when AoI comes around.

Also: In before console wars.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ffuzzy-Logik on 2007-05-06 14:08 ]</font>

ROB31
May 6, 2007, 04:04 PM
360 now

-Shimarisu-
May 6, 2007, 04:07 PM
I would say buy a 360 by all means if you intend to play this game regularly and $270 doesn't seem a whle lot of money to you... depends on your income really.

I would happily spend $50-$100 on the odd night out and $20-$30 on very REGULAR nights out, so the price of a 360 for unlimited entertainment seemed little to me. I switched to 360 and I'm glad I did.

StanleyPain
May 6, 2007, 04:07 PM
360 has a better overall NA population and seems to have better server stability, at least from what I've been hearing/reading.
Another thing to consider is that if you have a widescreen TV, only the 360 version supports 480p widescreen (or 1080i) which can be a big thing to some people. The HUD and most of the in-game text bubbles are more realistically sized in hi-def, as opposed to standard-def on PS2 where they can often interfere with your line-of-sight.

Kimil
May 6, 2007, 04:11 PM
I'd Say just join the PS2/PC Servers now. The population is fine as long as you know where to look. ONce you make a few friends, you should have no problem doing any mission you want to.

- Also, Hacking has been done for months now

ONe important thing I've noticed is the majority of the ppl onlin right now are lower/mid ranged levelers ( the vets a on break until the upcoming-events) So right now is a great time for new players, because a lot of the active players right now are not to far off from being fresh meat.

But, In the end, Its your choice

Garanz-Baranz
May 6, 2007, 04:17 PM
If you go to Xbox360, as a Lowbie, your gonna be mostly ignored by high Lvers... And I've heard that the Voice Chat is highly annoying to some...

>.>;

The PSU PC/PS2 side however has a bit of more helpful People around, buuuuuuut, you won't be using the Player Shops too often... theres a bunch of High Priced garbage... Also, there's a wave of Haxeta[illegit meseta] on the server... The population is very thin nowadays, 3* server on only Universe 2, all other universes have a hollow star... so if each Universe has 2000 max people[400 people for full star, 200 for hollow, i think...] theres about... 4200 people on at peak hours, more or less.

It's your pick... I'd join PC for the fact you get a nicer population, Nice-ness over Mass IMO

Sekani
May 6, 2007, 04:21 PM
No console wars yet? This thread fails.

Get whichever version your friends are on. And if you have no friends, get whatever's cheapest. And if you just happen to have a money tree in your backyard, get the 360 version.

EDIT: Also, please ignore anything negative said by anyone about a version of the game that they have not played. Garanz-Baranz's comments above, for example, should be ignored by anyone with more than three functioning brain cells.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sekani on 2007-05-06 14:36 ]</font>

buzyb77
May 6, 2007, 04:41 PM
I would Say 360.. For Several Reasons....Even though I have Said That At times Low lvl Players anoy me. Yes I am a lvl 75.... But when I am on one of MY alts .it all Cool. anyway Ill List the Reasons to Get a 360 With HardDrive Mind you

1. the 360 Version on Average primetime Has Uni 1 and 2 FULL and 3 at Half... and their are People From Around the World.. JP England, German, French, Australian, Spanish Speaking...So if you Can Speak a little of these and Make Friends you can Get better at it.

2. altough the Hack is gon ATM on the PC/PS2 the Massaive money is still there

3. When the Expantin Comes out and you have a Harddrive yo can Download it and not go to GameStop to Buy a retail Copy

4. less Laggy Due To Lack of people on Dial up.... and yes there is Lag!!!

5. there are other Great Games to Come out on the 360 like BioShock and Too Human.

6. Voice Chat. (you Can Mute the people Who Bug you and it Can be Buggy with this Game)

7.So Far only the 360 Versoin Has gotten Statues. of Sonic Tails and Now as of this weekend AMY

Reasons not to Get it. For the 360

1. The Cost of a 360 and all the Stupid options. (I'd Say Get an Eleite with a 120 GB hard DRive but I am a Meda Ho. also get a repacemet warrenty. But at least Get one with a 20 GB harddrive.)

2. you Can not Get 3MB Cable internet or equivalant or Better. Satalite internet Will Be Very Buggy at best or Will not work.)

3. your Friends Play Pc/PS2 on PSU

4. you Can not Afford a Gold Membership 50$ form Stors for 13 months or 40$ when the go on Sale Some times...( Btw it is NOT nessay to Play this game but I Suggest you get it for other games you may want)

5. You Hate dealing With M$ as you will have to call 18004MYXBOX to cancel

6. you don't have acces to a Credit Card (something with MasterCard or Visa on it) as you will need one to pay for this game on the 360

hope this helps.... BTw if you Buying A Used 360 For 270$it may be a Rip if you can Test it out.. with a Powerfull game

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: buzyb77 on 2007-05-06 14:42 ]</font>

omegapirate2k
May 6, 2007, 04:51 PM
On 2007-05-06 14:21, Sekani wrote:
Get whichever version your friends are on. And if you please ignore anything negative said by anyone about a version of the game that they have not played. Garanz-Baranz's comments above, for example, should be ignored by anyone with more than three functioning brain cells.

QFT

VanHalen
May 6, 2007, 04:53 PM
Well I'd say PC/PS2 cause like....I'm there http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Ithildin
May 6, 2007, 05:06 PM
Well... what a bunch of sensible responses... I'd say don't bother with ps2 cos the lag is ridiculous. I would even say it makes the game unplayable at times. Now I've only played on my friends 360 demo a few times, but I have to say it feels a lot better on it. anyway good luck with psu cos I feel there are quite a few ppl annoyed with it atm... and unfortunately I'm one of em... :/

Kimil
May 6, 2007, 05:13 PM
PS2 lag? Then get the PC version, Thats what I did http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Ithildin
May 6, 2007, 05:15 PM
yeah i thought about that, believe me i did. My pc is broken atm... maybe ill get it when the hunk of metal gets fixed

Palle
May 6, 2007, 06:20 PM
first, thanks to everyone for their advice. i found everyones' comments to be helpful...

the expense is not of chief concern, but most of the posts point away from going 360 just for PSU, which is what i'd be doing. is the difference in community worth such a fee? i'm too ignorant to tell at this point...

it would definitely be disheartening to join PC/PS2 only to wander empty servers...since i don't know anyone that plays on either platform, this point stands regardless, though from what i have read the 360 population is around 3x-6x the PC/PS2...

and i should note that it would be cheaper to go 360 than to buy a PC capable of playing PSU so...PS2 it would be...

i wonder if its feasible to play both...or to play a trial of sorts to see if PC/PS2 is worth it, rather than spending $300 only to find i'm no better off than if i had spent $40...

i'm still on the fence, but i feel i have a better understanding now. thanks again, everyone...

Sychosis
May 6, 2007, 08:20 PM

Oh. Em. Gee. Are you a Shadowrun fan?

Oh, and uh, on topic, if you are fearful of not having people to party with, you really can't go wrong with the 360.

Plus, you won't have to worry about just getting it for PSU...the 360 PSOW community *WILL* make you buy DoA4. And we won't take no for an answer. Unless the question is "Will you not buy DoA4?" in which case...I think no is a good response...

Midicronica
May 6, 2007, 08:36 PM
You don't really want to play DoA4 with Sychosis... He's..well..uh good and I always get my ass handed to me. Damn, Brad Wang. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

Sychosis
May 6, 2007, 08:37 PM
On 2007-05-06 18:36, Shadow_Moses wrote:
Damn, Brad Wang. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

WONG DAMMIT! WOOONG! The more you insult him the more relentless he is!

VanHalen
May 6, 2007, 08:38 PM
No me you want to join cause of me! ME ME *rolls around in a pit of rose petals* me! me! me! *runs off so no one can see that* >.>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VanHalen on 2007-05-06 18:43 ]</font>

Kimil
May 6, 2007, 08:42 PM
The Sever pop I think is...
3X, not 6X Lol

PALRAPPYS
May 6, 2007, 08:58 PM
On 2007-05-06 18:20, Sychosis wrote:

Plus, you won't have to worry about just getting it for PSU...the 360 PSOW community *WILL* make you buy DoA4. And we won't take no for an answer. Unless the question is "Will you not buy DoA4?" in which case...I think no is a good response...

*runs off somewhere*

Ok, well I'll be perfectly honest (and no offense to you PC/PS2 players...) that I find the 360 by far better than the PC/PS2 version. YES, I HAVE PLAYED ON IT. The 360 version on average seems to have about 2000 people online at most base times, and even when it gets to the peak time, there's about 2500+ people online. Only early morning or late night is the population averaged around 1000. As for the PC and PS2 version... there were 200 people online last Saturday... find it kind of odd that there would be so little on a Saturday, but... nothing I can do about that.

Oh well, prepare for teh flamez! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

VanHalen
May 6, 2007, 09:00 PM
On 2007-05-06 18:58, PALRAPPYS wrote:

*runs off somewhere*

Ok, well I'll be perfectly honest (and no offense to you PC/PS2 players...) that I find the 360 by far better than the PC/PS2 version. YES, I HAVE PLAYED ON IT. The 360 version on average seems to have about 2000 people online at most base times, and even when it gets to the peak time, there's about 2500+ people online. Only early morning or late night is the population averaged around 1000. As for the PC and PS2 version... there were 200 people online last Saturday... find it kind of odd that there would be so little on a Saturday, but... nothing I can do about that.

Oh well, prepare for teh flamez! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

You still don't have ME! *rose petals fall from the sky* Yay! Me! *more petals*

Sychosis
May 6, 2007, 09:02 PM
On 2007-05-06 19:00, VanHalen wrote:

You still don't have ME! *rose petals fall from the sky* Yay! Me! *more petals*

But it does have me ::flexes::

And of course Parn. There is no contest there.

VanHalen
May 6, 2007, 09:04 PM
But he has no rose petals. +1 for me. See you forces are hunting the wrong item your all looking for this Me/Quick. You should be looking for Me want to/Concentrate on Van http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Palle
May 6, 2007, 10:30 PM

scanned it, chummer; also i think it would make a better 2nd title than doa4, but personally i'm not a big fan of networked fighters...

...so what are the 360s to watch out for...serial numbers/meltdowns and such? would the lack of HD be a problem?

...how about voicechat etiquette...if i don't want to hear some god damned squeaky voice is it going to keep us from teaming up?

buzyb77
May 6, 2007, 11:03 PM
1. well HardDrive iS A MUST !!!! most of the units that have a born on Date that is SAY ......3/2/2007 + should be all Gravy

2. HD will be nessary For when the Expantion Comes oust as that is the only way to get it on the Xbox360

3. If you Can Keep From it Avoid GAMESTOP when getting your Unit Get it at Circut City or Best Buy(Suggestion and Get their Replacement Program as it last 2 yrs)

4. I Some Guy in your party has a voice you do not like all you have to do is go in the party menu and find that guys name go to his gamer Card and MUTE him/her forever and a day untill you take it away. Also you only hear people in parties and in Rooms

5. on the 360 you have a few options.. .Memory units are Crapso It will not lisst them

5a. Core alone .... you get a wired Controller and a headset and Stantard Cables 299$

5b Core System + 20GB HD 399$

5c. Core System + 120GB HD 479$

5d. Premimum System (what I Have) Headset Wirleess Controller and a HD Cables 399$

5e. Elete System its Black it has a HDMI port for Hd Cables and a 120GB hardrive all that the 399$ System has and all in black ATM it is 480$( atm Best Deal) but it has the older noiser Drives

5f. You Can Buy The Xbox360 399$ version then upgrade later if you need to or want too. it is 179.99$ for it.

Notes...I have the 120GB Drive and the thing is I trust the 400$ now more that I would An Eleite or A Core Due to the Fact the Eliete is Just now being made(like in the last two months) and it has the nosiest Drives. and many people Do not need the 120GB harddrive yet...

if you opt for the core you get 0 memory Storage and so you will have to buy a memory Card Max is 512 and it 49.99$ while a 20GB harddrive new is 100$ as you can find a 20 GB hard Drive for around 20$-50$ on Ebay.

VanHalen
May 6, 2007, 11:06 PM
Son, Me>population size. Look at this item I got this from the internet so it must be true!
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i54/Envy_06/2471-m-2.png

EDIT to show rank

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VanHalen on 2007-05-06 21:13 ]</font>

Weeaboolits
May 6, 2007, 11:16 PM
I'm offline. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/eviltongue.gif

Kimil
May 6, 2007, 11:20 PM
GTF ONLINE NAO THEN XD

McLaughlin
May 7, 2007, 06:49 AM
On 2007-05-06 20:30, Jagd-Doga-ZMS-03 wrote:

scanned it, chummer; also i think it would make a better 2nd title than doa4, but personally i'm not a big fan of networked fighters...

...so what are the 360s to watch out for...serial numbers/meltdowns and such? would the lack of HD be a problem?

...how about voicechat etiquette...if i don't want to hear some god damned squeaky voice is it going to keep us from teaming up?

Get an Elite. The bigger Hard Drive is a definite plus and it also comes with HDMI support. Plus it's black. You really do want a Hard Drive, because the AoI expansion will be downloadable for us.

Don't want to hear someone? Mute them (it's cake to do so). Don't want them in your party? Blacklist + Boot. You don't have to put up with anyone you don't want to.

And is the cutoff really 3 braincells Sekani? I distictly remeber reading bullshit from him before, and I KNOW I don't have that many.

Sychosis
May 7, 2007, 07:08 AM
On 2007-05-06 20:30, Jagd-Doga-ZMS-03 wrote:
scanned it, chummer;

Ha, been a long time since I last played a game of Shadowrun.

Eleina
May 7, 2007, 07:12 AM
Just get the game for the platform you have http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
I got the PC version coz i didn't have a 360 and didn't want to get the stuff to get my PS2 online...
But i don't regret being on PC/PS2 but both platforms are good just both have their fair share of idiots but thats life

Palle
May 7, 2007, 09:00 PM
...after conference-calling on the subject and taking into account everyone's advice, i think i will stick with PSO until AoI, as i don't want to join PC/PS2 only to abandon those who helped me start, and i cannot afford the 360 experience that is more or less the necessity...

...20GB is plenty so i will go premium (and not buy used as first planned), as i hear that they have ironed the wrinkles out and that the elite has the same problems that the original 360s did...plus i don't need the extra 100GB and whatever else...i'll be playing 1 or 2 games only...

...it will also be an excuse to get that Samsung LCD TV which can double as my new monitor...

...so altogether: +/- $1000 to play PSU...which means a long time of saving...hence the delay...

...thanks again to everyone, you were all helpful, and mebbe i will see you in game this autumn/winter...

Mutt12
May 7, 2007, 11:17 PM
PS2's not too bad. Only real slowdown I've experianced was on Muatoob when there's a million five story tall monsters at once. Only real regret is lack of Sonic-themed room decorations... and the low resolution.