PDA

View Full Version : Operations Firebreak: PS2 vs PS3

FUFME
May 7, 2007, 11:21 AM
I am a bit concerned about this event, and I have a feeling that this is going to be laggy gameplay just like the Bruce mission.

Someone told me last night that the PS3 is still laggy when playing the Bruce mission .... WTF??

I really want to get a PS3 for upcomming games like the Expansion and Grand Theft Auto. Im about to sell my Dell Axim Pocket PC on eBay and use that money to buy a PS3.

What are peoples take on this? I dont understand this lag. Even offline mode on the PS2 there is some lag

watashiwa
May 7, 2007, 11:26 AM
On 2007-05-07 09:21, FUFME wrote:
Someone told me last night that the PS3 is still laggy when playing the Bruce mission .... WTF??

Of course it would be. The PS3 basically uses the same PS2 emotion processor or whatever it is when it plays PS2 games. So it plays them EXACTLY like the PS2 would play them.

The only benefit you will get out of playing PS2 games on the PS3 is possibly load time due to the faster drive.

The processor and what it can do while playing a PS2 game is exactly the same due to the hardware used while playing a PS2 game being exactly the same.

AC9breaker
May 7, 2007, 11:45 AM
Why not get a 360 instead? Seems like most of the games PS3 will get are gonna be ported on other systems save for Monster Hunter 3 and Final Fantasy Crapteen are whatever number they're in these days. I really wish I had the money for a 360. Its like the new Dreamcast.

Also...

Don't read this! 500 years into the future, a teenager named Ethan Waber was sodomized by a CAST named Renvolt Magashi. Ethan later died of his injures in a hospital 3 days later. Now that you've read this, you have to send this message to 5 other people or Ethan will appear beside your bed tonight and stab you through the stomach with a +35% to Fire Photon Saber.
LOL! Fantastic sig

FUFME
May 7, 2007, 11:54 AM
LOL, 360 is totally out of the question.

If I had the option to transfer over my characters and 200 Million I have saved up, then I would

FUFME
May 7, 2007, 12:02 PM
I also dont understand how Sega states this game was designed for the PS2, but yet it runs better on the PC and Xbox..

Who got paid the big bucks sitting in a leather chair to spew that BS?

A2K
May 7, 2007, 12:11 PM
For the record, I don't think Sega has actually said anything like that. But it's only obvious that it would--simple fact is that PCs and Xbox 360s have more horsepower, and the ports have been tweaked to take advantage... for the most part. >.>

The game is only "backwards compatible" on the PS3--it won't take advantage of the hardware versus a dedicated port. Also, for the record... Ambition of the Illuminus will most likely be exactly the same on a PS3 than on a PS2 as well.

FUFME
May 7, 2007, 09:52 PM
I know I read and heard mention that this game was based on the PS2 and geared to those users. Read it on GameSpy and such...etc

My problem is I am stuck and I dont feel like shelling out a few thousand dollars yet on building a new PC game system. My apartment was broken into last year and had 6 Computers and 2 Sony Notebooks stolen from me.

Right now Im using a crappy $300- PC running a Celeron with a free AGP slot. I know I can upgrade to a 3.6/3.8? Pentium 4 (socket 478) i think.

Problem is I dont wanna piss money on a whole new system parts when Quad Core CPU's and 1333 DDR3 RAM are just around the bend. Im hoping for the Quad Core CPU's to reach actual 1333 FSB as well

Worst comes to worst, I dont need a PS3, I'll probably buy an ATI 1950 GT AGP or GeForce 7950 Video card till im ready to build again.

ShinMaruku
May 7, 2007, 09:57 PM
Well PS3's BC is being tunred to emulation so you migth well see the thing acutally run faster and upscaled.
Some of the laoding is better but that's because blue lasers pwn red ones.

McLaughlin
May 7, 2007, 10:20 PM
On 2007-05-07 09:26, watashiwa wrote:

On 2007-05-07 09:21, FUFME wrote:

Of course it would be. The PS3 basically uses the same PS2 emotion processor or whatever it is when it plays PS2 games. So it plays them EXACTLY like the PS2 would play them.

The only benefit you will get out of playing PS2 games on the PS3 is possibly load time due to the faster drive.

The processor and what it can do while playing a PS2 game is exactly the same due to the hardware used while playing a PS2 game being exactly the same.

Why, in the name of God, aren't there more people like you?

McLaughlin
May 7, 2007, 10:25 PM
On 2007-05-07 19:57, ShinMaruku wrote:
Well PS3's BC is being tunred to emulation so you migth well see the thing acutally run faster and upscaled.
Some of the laoding is better but that's because blue lasers pwn red ones.

When has Sony stated their BC was being changed to software emulation? Last I heard on the subject Sony pretty much dropped it completely on PAL PS3s.

And Blu-Ray lasers only offer any benefit when reading a Blu-Ray disc.

As for Ambition of Illuminus, you'll likely see no difference there either, seeing as it too is being programmed for a PS2, and not a PS3.

kazuma56
May 8, 2007, 05:13 PM
I wouldn't call the 360 the new DC... thats way too much praise (IMO).

Seems like most of the games PS3 will get are gonna be ported on other systems

likewise for 360, and one of the reasons I don't have one, with the PS3, I know that if a game comes built from the ground up and utilizes blu-ray you're not going to see the same game on 360, but with the 360, msot if not 50+% of the games released eventually hit PC for a cheaper price and free online play... live is good and all, but if i can get the same experience with a few perks (mods) why bother paying for live?

anywho, this isn't a comparison thread, but as far as PS3 and PSU goes, unless you live in europe every PS3 manufactured in other areas uses the built-in EE chip that comes with the PS3 to emulate PS2 games... faster load times on PSU with a PS3 I cannot say as I have the PC version... but maybe ONE perk you can get out of this will be when the PSEye comes out... if it works when using PS2 games you can record video and snap pics in all of the low-res, jaggedy goodness.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kazuma56 on 2007-05-08 15:17 ]</font>

McLaughlin
May 8, 2007, 05:31 PM
If you can show me a link to where Sony has stated they've gone to Software emulation then all right. Still won't do anything except make the game load faster, but all right.

Also, list 5 360 games on the PC. If you get that far, gimme the rest of the 50%+ games on the PC. You can even count Halo if you like. Both of them (even though they're not 360 titles).

I didn't know PC gamers had a Marketplace, universal Voice Chat, universal Friends List, universal Message system, Achievements, blah blah blah. But, if you like cheating, you'll want to stay away from the 360. Seeing as...you know, you can't.

EDIT: Forgot to add, DMC4 will be on both consoles right? Grand Theft Auto will be on both consoles, right? I don't see the logic behind the Blu-Ray bit.

OH TEH NOES! COMPRESSIONZ!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Obsidian_Knight on 2007-05-08 15:36 ]</font>

Kimil
May 8, 2007, 05:44 PM
On 2007-05-08 15:31, Obsidian_Knight wrote:

I didn't know PC gamers had a Marketplace, universal Voice Chat, universal Friends List, universal Message system, Achievements, blah blah blah. But, if you like cheating, you'll want to stay away from the 360. Seeing as...you know, you can't.

The only reason I ever got XBOX live was for Halo 2. Still is, IMO, the only reason for XBL. Its the reason I never bothered with the 360, and never will. M$ is not having more money. Halo 2 Was and still is the only reason I'd ever play XBL, everything else I don't care for.

-Universal Freinds list = nothing to me, only ppl I liked playing with qui t a long time ago
-Market Place? NO thank you
-I Turn off Voice Chat all the time, I'd rather listen to Music.
-Message system was crap for original Xbox( for Halo 2 Anyways, not sure of 360, and I'm not talking about 360 )
Achievements? Mediocre Icing on a graying Cake

And you seem like your about to explode into an assholish flame-fest again, so its a good time to leave my PC and go for Burgers with the guys.

G'bai Honey http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Kimil
May 8, 2007, 05:45 PM
But befroe I go... HOLY SHIT! Me and Obsidian have the same Birthday http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif crazy!

McLaughlin
May 8, 2007, 05:51 PM
My point went right over your head. PC gamers don't get those features. Whether a single individual dislikes them or not is irrelevant.

And just for the record, the Xbox 360's Live experience is head and shoulders above the Xbox's. IF you only had it for Halo2 to begin with, then you definitely wasted your money. There are dozens of GREAT Xbox Live enabled games out there, Halo2 being just one of many.

Kimil
May 8, 2007, 06:12 PM
My money is staying with me honey, not M$.
And no i didn't go over my head, I realize what you were trying to say. Buuuut I never do care about any points you try to make. Lateskees Hun http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

omegapirate2k
May 8, 2007, 06:15 PM
Well aren't you two just lovely little bundles of joy.

PJ
May 8, 2007, 06:51 PM
This topic is adorable.

Sinue_v2
May 8, 2007, 07:05 PM
M$

I propose a new internet rule, similar in spirit to Godwin's Law. Anyone caught using the terms "M$", "$ony", "AmeriKKKa", and their ilk forfeit their point of contention and must withdrawl from the argument.

Seriously, it's fucking stupid people. Stop it.

Ffuzzy-Logik
May 8, 2007, 07:11 PM
I must agree.

Dhylec
May 8, 2007, 07:29 PM
Alright, the OP has decided what to do, this is long done. I hope you guys enjoyed the little fun afterward.