PDA

View Full Version : Freaking switch AGAIN

Kaydin
May 9, 2007, 12:56 PM
One of our switches is freaked up. AGAIN. The one my PC and my sister's PC is hooked to too.

It went out a while back, but we used my hub as a temporary fix for a while. We got a new switch, a "better" switch, and started using it just a few days ago.

Now it's jacked up again. The lights aren't on, and it's making hissing noises.

This is the only PC that has internet now. >.>;

Weeaboolits
May 9, 2007, 01:04 PM
I have a light switch that controls power to most of the room, including the PC, it's stupidly placed next to the switch for the portch light, so whenever someone goes to turn that on or off they end up turning off the computer. x_X
I ended up taping a piece of plastic over it so nobody could flip it.

Siertes
May 9, 2007, 01:04 PM
What kind of switch is it?

DizzyDi
May 9, 2007, 01:11 PM
An On/Off one.

amtalx
May 9, 2007, 01:13 PM
Why are you using a switch to begin with?

Solstis
May 9, 2007, 01:15 PM
Our Linksys switch went bad at some point. Not even sure what brandname this one is. Routers, Switches, etc, they all go bad after a good number of months or years.

Kaydin
May 9, 2007, 01:17 PM
The switch is some piece of crap brand. Doesn't even say what brand it is. The switch is in a small cabinent thing in the wall, we're only using this one because it's built to fit in the cabinet.

We're using a switch because we need a switch. There's like 10+ RJ-45 jacks in the house, only 7 or so are hooked up right now. It's mainly to let us go anywhere in the house with laptops. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

amtalx
May 11, 2007, 09:12 AM
Switches are a pain. I would recommend going with a router.