PDA

View Full Version : s0 l33t, 1t 4urt5

Goza
Dec 12, 2002, 01:05 PM
The language center of my brain has gone BSOD. Now, I'm not perfect here, but I think this site could use some kind of spelling or grammar checker (preferably initiated by the user actually posting the comment).

Most posts are very well written, and I can usually wade through netspeak. Oh, and just yesterday I figured out how "pwned" came about. But some folks seriously need to review what they're writing for the basic rules of language.

This goes for every PSO forum I've seen, not just pso-world. I know that no one has a duty to make it legible for me, but I find it hard to reply when I can't figure out which direction the sentence is supposed to be in and how some of the letters from the first word ended up jammed into the second or third down the sentence.

I'd post examples, but that would just get me in trouble. And no claiming that it's "language barrier" either. I can usually tell if someone learned English as a second language because they tend to be good at it. I've graded essays for my university's communications department, and that holds true offline as well.

So in conclusion: d003dz, yuo need to cheik yur post befor you post them also condier punkshooayshun onc in a wile ndcluding but not lmitited to usag of the retrn key

Thanks http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif. I feel better now.

BlackRose
Dec 12, 2002, 01:17 PM
Yeah, this has been brought up before, i know at least once by me. It does get annoying from time to time, but it's certainly not as prevalent as it used to be, and not prevalent to be an annoyance anymore. For me anyways.

I sort of found that it was too much work to try and change it, so i just stopped reading posts that took too long to decipher.

Goza
Dec 12, 2002, 01:20 PM
Yeah, it's probably my fault for trying most of the time.

BlackRose
Dec 12, 2002, 02:56 PM
I'd think that fault is too strong a word, makes it sound like a bad thing. More like just a choice.

But yeah, everything you do or don't do is your choice. Which can be looked upon as good or bad, I suppose... =D

Maverynthia
Dec 16, 2002, 07:40 AM
People saying that English is their second language is pure BS. Because all the people I've spoken to that are learning English usually use a dictionary and if not they make sure the word is correct. They also don't substitute letters and numbers for words...

*deepsigh* I wish people would crack down on chat speakers and treat them like the illiterate rotten milk stink they are. Because the time I see a chat speaker on here that wasn't in jest of chat speaking is going to get flamed for being an ignorant diln00b... And I'll get banned and so on and so forth...

Don't even try to read the post just say. "I don't read chat speak so type in English"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Maverynthia on 2002-12-16 04:43 ]</font>

Junon
Dec 22, 2002, 01:00 PM
Id agree, I hate it when people who think theyre "1337" try to "pwn" you with their "1337 sp34k" and "h4x0r3 ski110rz", I prefer the old fashioned style of insulting, Such as : Fuck you, you worthless peice of hippy shit ! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Maverynthia
Dec 22, 2002, 01:12 PM
I think there was a MegaTokyo or Penny Arcade where the characters were in PSO and the dude got his but chewed by the dragon because he was taking to long to taunt the dragon in 1337.

lockeboy
Dec 22, 2002, 08:39 PM
oshty. wtf. thta dosent make sens. OIDIOT. wtf r u taklign abuot l4m3r. /??? wtfff? oya and i no wher "pwned came frm. i amde it up. because. i pwn u ur a n00bbz0r. stfu noob. LOL11!!!!111

Just in case you couldn't realize it on your own .. I was joking. I don't want to start a flame war here from a misunderstanding .. o.O;

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: lockeboy on 2002-12-22 21:17 ]</font>

BoUnCeR
Dec 25, 2002, 04:05 PM
well it indeed is true, but I don't think people can be changed in way that everybody can feel good about other one's language or way to live (and to write). what also is indeed true is that the pwnage l33t w33d kinda stuff is very annoying... I think that should bu left for forums or at least topics where people understand this well can happly comunicate with each other... Ali G is funny, but taking his line, and talking seriously, it's all about respect http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Guile
Dec 28, 2002, 04:37 AM
Seriously...I can't stand that "leet", "4h34R Th3 B33R" talk....I think its tard!

Phobos-X
Dec 30, 2002, 11:25 AM
man honestly, i dont not FUCKIN understand that shit, some of it is legible like "3" are e's and so forth but dammit, speak INGLES dammit! sheesh...

Zell_Hogmaw
Dec 31, 2002, 04:03 PM
WRITE IN FUCKING ENGLISH! WHY THE HELL DO YOU THINK THEY PUT YOU IN GRADE SCHOOL GRAMMER CLASSES!? JESUS CHRIST.......

G-Assassin
Jan 4, 2003, 07:51 PM
On 2002-12-22 10:12, Maverynthia wrote:
I think there was a MegaTokyo or Penny Arcade where the characters were in PSO and the dude got his but chewed by the dragon because he was taking to long to taunt the dragon in 1337.

http://www.megatokyo.com/index.php?strip_id=146

Here's that comic you were talking about. L33tspeak gets annoying fast, doesn't it? ^_^

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: G-Assassin on 2003-01-04 16:51 ]</font>

neko-chan
Jan 4, 2003, 08:21 PM
Honestly, while posting here I often think I look more stupid than I actually am. I "learned" English as third language. Just for two years, and the teacher was not even English mother tongue. u.u;;;

I'm learning more just by reading PSOW than during my English classes.

But it's frustrating: I can't express myself properly. Often happens that I want to post a message, I start writing it but then I stop in the middle... because I realized I messed up with the grammar and the sentences look unreadables. u.u;;;

But... I had my revenge like two days ago. I was playing online, alone, while a FOmar popped in. He started to say things I was not able to understand, such as "IMMA DIE" (or "DEAD"? Forgot) and he was asking me tips in his strange language. Well... after a while I said: "Speak English". And the guy left the game. u.u;;;

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: neko-chan on 2003-01-04 17:22 ]</font>