PDA

View Full Version : So will you need AoI to continue to play this game online?

pionear
May 10, 2007, 06:47 PM
Topic? Will you still be able to play this game online with the old PSU? Will you be able to play along with the guys who have AoI?

And if this been posted already, my apologies.

Itsuki
May 10, 2007, 06:54 PM
In the illumines beta, anything that was "illumines only" was in yellow. My guess is that you will still be able to play with your old friends, but you won't be able to use any of the "illumines only" stuff. Basically any area with a yellow name will be off limits to you.

The only real question is how they're going to handle illumines weapons. In non-illumines games will you not be able to use whips/slicers/madoogs/shadoogs? Will illumines weapons show up as their normal pictures or will they just appear as a normal sword or something? The save file on the PS2 is too small to actually implement all of the new weapons and items. It may even be too small to add whips/slicers/etc onto it.

Mystil
May 10, 2007, 07:07 PM
They'll find a way to get the that stuff onto the PS2.

They WILL have to make it hardrive compatible if not by memory card means.

natewifi
May 10, 2007, 07:11 PM
hell yeah to title.

Itsuki
May 10, 2007, 07:19 PM
They don't HAVE to do anything. If anything, they may not add the content, solely because they want people to buy the expansion. They're a business, not your friend.

Mystil
May 10, 2007, 07:22 PM
OK so, if they can't cause they to have to do it, then just shut out the PS2 players right?

Rashiid
May 10, 2007, 07:31 PM
i think so...

cause, if you dont have it downloaded.....

then how can you see a Madoog that someone else has, if you dont have that content?
since its not loaded to you xbox/PC/Ps2...

but, idk, dont quote me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

McLaughlin
May 10, 2007, 07:34 PM
On 2007-05-10 17:22, Mystil wrote:
OK so, if they can't cause they to have to do it, then just shut out the PS2 players right?

That's no different than making it HD compatible. Not only are they discontinued, but they don't work on Slim PS2s.

Edit: It may just end up being like V1 and V2, where V2 players could join V1 games, but not vice versa. Any V2 content simply appeared as a basic version of whatever class the item was. They didn't really add new types or weapon classes though...so you may just be shit out of luck.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Obsidian_Knight on 2007-05-10 17:39 ]</font>

Sekani
May 10, 2007, 07:53 PM
On 2007-05-10 17:22, Mystil wrote:

They're being shut out of what? If you don't buy the expansion, you can't see the new content; I don't see how that's somehow horribly unfair.

I doubt the other consoles are going to be exempt from this either.

l_Will_l
May 10, 2007, 07:57 PM
the way i see it is, if u love psu and wanna get the exp. then u have no prob. if all u do is complain about sega with what we have rite now and dont wanna buy the exp. just quit when it comes out. but thats just my 2 cents

l_Will_l
May 10, 2007, 07:58 PM
oops didnt mean to hit the submit button. but yeah i mean if u love the game like i do. i have no problem with buying the expansion. its a small price to pay for something i love. not to mention taking time helps me save money cause im not bored and going out blowing money.

Itsuki
May 10, 2007, 08:00 PM
On 2007-05-10 17:34, Obsidian_Knight wrote:
Edit: It may just end up being like V1 and V2, where V2 players could join V1 games, but not vice versa. Any V2 content simply appeared as a basic version of whatever class the item was. They didn't really add new types or weapon classes though...so you may just be shit out of luck.

This is actually what I am expecting to happen. They may be able to add in a single model for each of the new weapons without it being too huge of a increase on the save size. Or they may just lock them out. It really depends on how small they can make it.

Soukosa
May 10, 2007, 08:10 PM
A JP hacker found graphics for slicers in the current game, albeit incomplete ones I believe. Gotta wonder if there's graphics for whips too. I mean they had been planning on some of this new stuff for awhile but likely ran out of time at the initial release. For the doogs, they could just get lazy and not put any in it at all XP

Sinue_v2
May 10, 2007, 08:33 PM
Edit: It may just end up being like V1 and V2, where V2 players could join V1 games, but not vice versa. Any V2 content simply appeared as a basic version of whatever class the item was.

I'm not sure how exactly it works, since I don't play on the user-made servers - but don't they allow Ep I & II players to mingle with v.1 & v.2 players? Ep I & II includes new weapon types with unique animations, so somehow that has to translate over to the older versions. Such as Katana's animation showing up as the old saber animation - and new Katanas taking on the graphics skins of basic weapons as it did in the transfer between v.1 and v.2.

If it doesn't work like that, then ignore my comment.

In either case, it probably doesn't matter very much since the only people really left playing are the die-hards and most all of them will likely be upgrading to AoI.

Kent
May 10, 2007, 08:44 PM
I'm fairly certain that Sonic Team would at least have had the ideas for these things, prior to the release of the base game.

They could have put attack animations for them, just no other data, into the base game, and nobody's dug deep enough to find it.

Fulgore
May 10, 2007, 08:45 PM
On 2007-05-10 18:10, Sounomi wrote:
A JP hacker found graphics for slicers in the current game, albeit incomplete ones I believe. Gotta wonder if there's graphics for whips too. I mean they had been planning on some of this new stuff for awhile but likely ran out of time at the initial release. For the doogs, they could just get lazy and not put any in it at all XP

I agree...I think there is more on our Current Disc then we will Ever know... That is coming from experience with other rpg games where there can be multiple game options/setups and it's just like the PA frags, or so I've heard, where initially they weren't going to be used and then something happened and blah blah blah..... Getting to the point though... we don't have an answer at this time to that question.....and if you want to continue with Phantasy Star you basically go with the flow....that's how it is and ever will be

Garnet_Moon
May 10, 2007, 08:46 PM
I hope we'll need to buy AoI. It'd screw with the population in a not-so-funny way, but the threads and drama in-game about it would be most delicious.

l_Will_l
May 10, 2007, 08:46 PM
yeah i agree with you kent. its not like they dont know what there doing. or at least completly. they have to have some sort of plan. just cause they dont let us in on whats going on behind the scenes dosent mean they are trying to screw anyone over on purpose.

Itsuki
May 10, 2007, 08:47 PM
On 2007-05-10 18:10, Sounomi wrote:

Actually, madoogs and shadoogs could probably just use pete's model. The animations would need to be added aswell though.

Esaxe
May 11, 2007, 04:47 AM
This whole topic reminds me of getting the Diablo 2 expansion...

Pietepiet
May 11, 2007, 05:01 AM
On 2007-05-10 18:00, Itsuki-chan wrote:
This is actually what I am expecting to happen. They may be able to add in a single model for each of the new weapons without it being too huge of a increase on the save size. Or they may just lock them out. It really depends on how small they can make it.

They will most likely put a single model per new weapon-class on the Memory card file, yeah. Models really don't take up that much space, especially weapon models.
Atleast, that's from my experience with making in-game models for college projects. The models we use can be as low as 90KB, really.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pietepiet on 2007-05-11 03:03 ]</font>

Mystil
May 11, 2007, 06:14 AM
All I was saying was, it wouldn't be fair. Not this "SEGA is your friend, blah blah". Yes it is a business, and they are getting money from PS2 players >_>. But I have to put my foot in my mouth, if there is going to be more expansions, I don't see the PS2'ers being able to play much longer :/. How much more BIG ASS data can be COMPRESSED into a 8 MB card?

(And excuse me for showing concern for console players.)

On 2007-05-10 18:33, Sinue_v2 wrote:

Edit: It may just end up being like V1 and V2, where V2 players could join V1 games, but not vice versa. Any V2 content simply appeared as a basic version of whatever class the item was.

I'm not sure how exactly it works, since I don't play on the user-made servers - but don't they allow Ep I & II players to mingle with v.1 & v.2 players? Ep I & II includes new weapon types with unique animations, so somehow that has to translate over to the older versions. Such as Katana's animation showing up as the old saber animation - and new Katanas taking on the graphics skins of basic weapons as it did in the transfer between v.1 and v.2.

If it doesn't work like that, then ignore my comment.

In either case, it probably doesn't matter very much since the only people really left playing are the die-hards and most all of them will likely be upgrading to AoI.

Can't ignore it because it is both yes and no.

On user-made ones(not getting too specific about where cause of the rule) you are able to play with them, however the option to see thier games has to be enabled by the V2 leader. Because GC players glitch like mad and eventually FSOD when in V2 games(they cannot play with version 1 players at all, for obvious compatibility reasons)it is not recommended. A version 2 player can see what a EpI/II player is using, however when they drop thier weapon, the v2 player will see it as a different item.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mystil on 2007-05-11 04:20 ]</font>

McLaughlin
May 11, 2007, 06:45 AM
On 2007-05-11 04:14, Mystil wrote:
All I was saying was, it wouldn't be fair. Not this "SEGA is your friend, blah blah". Yes it is a business, and they are getting money from PS2 players >_>. But I have to put my foot in my mouth, if there is going to be more expansions, I don't see the PS2'ers being able to play much longer :/. How much more BIG ASS data can be COMPRESSED into a 8 MB card?

You'd be locking more people out if you made the game HD compatible than you would if they just couldn't play with AoI people. That was MY point.

Eleina
May 11, 2007, 08:12 AM
On 2007-05-11 02:47, Esaxe wrote:
This whole topic reminds me of getting the Diablo 2 expansion...

They could proceed the way blizzard or whatever did for diablo 2 >>

amtalx
May 11, 2007, 08:34 AM
You could solve all your problems by just getting the expansion. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif I know, I'm so helpful...

Eleina
May 11, 2007, 08:42 AM
On 2007-05-11 06:34, amtalx wrote:
You could solve all your problems by just getting the expansion. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif I know, I'm so helpful...

Yea thats the best answer but we all know that the expansion will be delayed in Europe >> so all EU players won't be able to play Aoi with their US buddys straight away

Nuclearranger
May 11, 2007, 09:27 AM
They allready beta tested AOI on the same servers so obviously it works? *correct me if im wrong*

Paramedic
May 11, 2007, 10:14 AM
Is it possible that the PS2 discs already have the visual data of the new AoI equipment? (PSU, not the AoI disc) Let me clarify that better; The current PS2 discs may already have all the data needed to support cross-game playing. Sega probably thought of this while working on AoI. I wouldn't worry about it.

But I have to ask, if you're going to keep playing PSU... Why wouldn't you buy the expansion anyway?

Reginaldo
May 11, 2007, 12:53 PM
I wouldnt worry, the patch file has barely grown in size on the ps2 since October. It's simply being overwritten when there are changes. Think of the patch as a management tool for what we are aloud to see or use on the server as Sega permits. No actual game content is on our memory cards.

You should realize that with the dwindling PS2/PC population, the majority of which I'm assuming will be upgrading, you'll pretty much have to buy the expansion. Unless you like playing solo that is...

Itsuki
May 11, 2007, 01:02 PM
On 2007-05-11 10:53, Reginaldo wrote:
You should realize that with the dwindling PS2/PC population, the majority of which I'm assuming will be upgrading, you'll pretty much have to buy the expansion. Unless you like playing solo that is...

Dwindling in the US maybe, but in japan, there are huge numbers of players that are ps2. And the 360 + US PC/PS2 servers combined aren't even a fraction of one of the two japanese pc/ps2 servers.

I don't think they'll all upgrade. And I don't think sega wants to lose people.

CherryLunar
May 11, 2007, 02:22 PM
Do you think that ST would possibly divide the servers like they did back when the Japanese players were having issues? And you could choose between the servers? Because I don't see how non-AOI players would be able to visit your room/shop or be able to see AOI clothing for that matter. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Soukosa
May 11, 2007, 03:50 PM
On 2007-05-11 10:53, Reginaldo wrote:
You should realize that with the dwindling PS2/PC population

Oh noes! There's not enough people on a single universe to make it lag to hell and back! The game's dying!!11!1

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

Half star means what, any where from 1 to 199 people? Maybe just maybe people spread out?

Reminds me of the constant "the game's dying!" non sense from iRO which went really far when the command that lists how many players are logged onto a server mysteriously broke. People insisted it was them trying to hide the lowering population. Except it broke for all regions of the game, including the Japanese region which was flourishing maybe too well. I eventually took the kRO client and hacked it to connect to iRO so I could see the numbers for each server and they were more or less the same they were a year ago >.>;

Reginaldo
May 11, 2007, 04:06 PM
I'm not complaining at all, but maybe just maybe that still isn't alot of people regardless. So if what I'm assuming is correct (that being most people will upgrade) then you would be hurting yourself trying to search out the remainder of the ver1 population by not upgrading. I'm merely suggesting that people would be doing themselves a favor by giving themselves the ability to play with all people on the server by purchasing AoI.

Unless I've ever made a complaint about the server dying on any of my posts, I wouldn't jump to conclusions about me implying such a statement.

Also, there arent 199 people on any of the other PS2/PC servers except for uni 2. Not even close to 50.

RedX
May 11, 2007, 04:44 PM
On 2007-05-11 14:06, Reginaldo wrote:
Also, there arent 199 people on any of the other PS2/PC servers except for uni 2. Not even close to 50.

Prove it.

Garnet_Moon
May 11, 2007, 04:49 PM
On 2007-05-11 14:44, RedX wrote:

Prove it.

I forgot what each star represented in the numerical value, but 199 sounds a little odd even for the off times that hardly anybody is online.

RedX
May 11, 2007, 05:02 PM
I know that, but my point is that it is imposable to prove it ether way. All you can say is it is between the numbers that the stars tell, which is 1-199. You can't just say it is close to 50, because that is what you think. Thats the whole reason why people normally don't talk in numbers but in stars.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RedX on 2007-05-11 15:04 ]</font>

Paramedic
May 11, 2007, 05:25 PM
I logged on today, Uni 4 was empty. How did I know? There were no stars whatsoever. So, I switched in to Uni 4. One star had now appeared, from my presence. At the current time, (About noon CDT) Uni 2 was 2.5 stars, everything else was .5 stars except Uni 4.

The PC/PS2 servers have a very small population. Is it still on the decline? I think not. I'm pretty sure everyone that actually likes this game is here to stay. Especially with AoI lurking around the corner. Hopefully AoI will spike the population, and keep it. The PS2/PC population was decent at launch, but was shot after some "hot releases".

However, for this whole topic to be even made confuses me. Why would you not buy the expansion? For all the EU players that are assuming to be getting their release of AoI later than US... Maybe it's time to take a break? Or get a bunch of EU players together and just hang out in all the old stuff? You could always import too, if that's not a hassle for you.

Ryo_Sakura
May 11, 2007, 06:08 PM
I don't understand...I guess I'm to the MMO scene but what does an expansion pack do? I just spent $50 on PSU why do I need to buy more stuff? I don't just have money like that and it's kind of annoying to see you guys saying stuff like "well, if you love the game then there should be no problem," you're forgeting those of us who like the game but don't exactly have the cash on hand. Unless, of course, AoI isn't $50 which further confuses me...somebody help!!!

MrNomad
May 11, 2007, 06:18 PM
the exp comes out in fall, im sure you'll have the money ready then http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Ermac
May 11, 2007, 06:19 PM
An expansion pack is what it is called....an expansion to the original game with new content; in this case we get new weapons, animations, missions, etc. Generally expansion packs are about 10-30 bucks depending on the content included and who makes it. For example, Battlefield 2142 has one for $10 while Oblivion got one for $30.

I would recommend getting the expansion since it seems to come with enough content and as some people pointed out, a lot of people are gonna get it and play it for a long time.

MrNomad
May 11, 2007, 06:31 PM
spank me spank me! =P

Ryo_Sakura
May 11, 2007, 06:36 PM
so does anyone know if it's going to be so expensive that it wouldn't make sense to buy (essentially) another PSU less than a year after the first one came out...this was my main question.

McLaughlin
May 12, 2007, 10:53 AM
On 2007-05-11 14:44, RedX wrote:

Prove it.

Disprove it.

pionear
May 16, 2007, 09:54 PM
I not saying I won't get AoI, because most likely I will. It was just a question someone asked in a party one day, and it was on my mind.

RedX
May 16, 2007, 10:00 PM
On 2007-05-12 08:53, Obsidian_Knight wrote:
Disprove it.

On 2007-05-11 15:02, RedX wrote:
it is imposable to prove it ether way.

Read a little farther before quoting, would you?

Hangman
May 16, 2007, 11:56 PM
I'm not sure how it is going to be on the PS2/PC , but the x360 is supposed to be a download through the marketplace. I hope it isn't like alot of MMO's where expansions eventually kill the game.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hangman on 2007-05-16 21:58 ]</font>

Mutt12
May 17, 2007, 01:50 AM
On 2007-05-10 16:54, Itsuki-chan wrote:
In the illumines beta, anything that was "illumines only" was in yellow. My guess is that you will still be able to play with your old friends, but you won't be able to use any of the "illumines only" stuff. Basically any area with a yellow name will be off limits to you.

That sounds almost exactly like what they did when PSO v.2 came out on the Dreamcast.

fumatanera
May 17, 2007, 11:47 AM
they need to connect the JP+US+EU ps2/pc servers....leave 360 over there in the corner